Championship - Stoke FC vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

A win to start the New Year?

Stoke Win
12%
Ipswich Win
47%
Draw
41%

Total votes: 17

hallamblue

Re: Championship - Stoke FC vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by hallamblue » Tue Jan 02, 2024 6:52 pm

Given Ladapo’s goal return in our promotion season, I am surprised he’s not had a bit more time especially after Hirst has got injured. The fact that other players ( who are still not out snd out strikers) have been given the nod ahead of him, leaves you only to say he’s not going to be here much longer.

I think McKenna made it clear in August that he would be building the team’s attack around Hirst and not Freddie. Hirst was gradually introduced and got increasing minutes ahead of Freddie. I think FL would have known as far back as August that his time here was coming to an end.

Personally I’ve never felt Freddie had it in his locker to step up to championship level. The game is different to League One. He did really well to develop his game from how he was used st Rotherham in a striker pairing to one of a lone striker in a three man pronged attack . McKenna had never deviated from the style / approach he wants Town to play, and Freddie doesn’t have the attributes to play that role effectively . Without a shadow of doubt, Freddie’s game is IN that 18 yard area, often with back to goal . He’s your classic Fox in the Box. So the team has to get the ball to him.

By comparison Hirst’s game is a bit more subtle and he works very hard off the ball to create space and movement for the other two front men. He works the defence and pulls them all over the place to achieve that. They are totally different types of striker. Hirst’s role is more suited to quick, mobile CC defenders. I think for Freddie to feel “at home” in The team, the team would have to adapt its attacking approach, which isn’t going to happen and he unfortunately lacks the pace, mobility and first touch to lead a fluid front three. He’s too static in my view. When he receives the ball it’s generally in a standing position , with his back into the defender ( he often flexes right over as he uses his body to back into the defender). There’s rarely a huge snd go type of movement,

This is NOT meant to be a character assassination of Freddie. Just my observation of his style of play. He’s a great striker of a certain style / type. I don’t feel it’s a modern Championship level striker. So I’m left thinking he needs to move in to get games.

Is there a CC club that plays the style that would suit Freddie? I honestly don’t know. Are there many teams that play a 4-4-2 now? But I do wish him all the luck in the world but I think his career is now away from PR.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Thu Jan 04, 2024 12:24 am

Couldn't catch the game, in fact missed all that occurred so had to make do with taking in report and reaction after the event from both here and other areas of focus. First impression, kind of surprised not to win. Almost incredulous not to score again and with it (now) five games without victory. That's real bizarre after the progress made since August. Not really the time of season to lose form.

You can tell we got players out or not a full squad when Jackson starts a game and if had been partnered with say Broadhead and / or Ladapo from the start may or would have provided better opportunity. Lost faith in Jackson as time's gone on, just don't think he can contribute on his own particularly in a loan position or starting a fixture. Can arrive off the bench any other time and make something of an impact, but the way he were deployed for this some would argue it's one reason why we didn't take victory from it.

It's disappointing not to win once more but you got to take into account a number of factors such as we couldn't or were unable to field a strong enough team, there's names out and unavailable, not only that the fan passing recent may or may not have had some level of impact on the players, they didn't provide a full and concentrated effort and / or Stoke City raised their game for our visit and were determined not to lose. Norwich were expected to us a favor or something, in all truth could never quite bring oneself to hope for any victory for them. Southampton failed to win, those bastards missed out also, guess a draw represents something of a satisfactory score between those. We're still in real good position to challenge - but really, three points and a victory has to arrive our way soon.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Thu Jan 04, 2024 3:02 pm

Yes I agree with you. Freddie needs a whole game kinda chance and play Jackson wide. He’s never a central striker in a million years.