FA Cup (R3) - AFC Wimbledon vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

A distraction from the big prize?

Wimbledon Win
No votes
Ipswich Win
86%
Draw
14%

Total votes: 14

Frosty
Forum Owner

FA Cup (R3) - AFC Wimbledon vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Frosty » Thu Jan 04, 2024 9:38 pm

Image AFC Wimbledon v Ipswich TownImage

FA Cup – 3rd Round

Saturday 6th January 2024 – 12:30pm

Plough Lane

Pre Match Thoughts - Mike

When the fixtures came out back in June it was widely accepted that December into January was going to be the time of the season that was to really test us as a club, games against the "big boys" a local Derby and some tough away games all thrown into the mix to make it a daunting looking run of games, and that is exactly how it has played out so far.

Depending on which way you choose to look at it will define how you think it has gone and how we have handled the better teams etc, on the one hand there will be those who like to point out it is no win in Five, but on the other hand there will be those that choose to remind everyone that despite it being our tough period we have only lost One of those games while putting in very good performances against Leicester, Watford, Coventry, Middlesbrough & Norwich, personally I like to be in the latter camp as the points haul accrued in December was pretty much what most were predicted and what most felt was a good return.

It is true we could and probably should have beaten both QPR & Stoke City but there were mitigating circumstances on both occasions which made things a fair bit tougher than they may otherwise have been, playing QPR with half a team missing was certainly not in the script and on the day the replacements weren't good enough, while at Stoke we pretty much did everything but score which sometimes happens but I still felt that the way stoke had improved of late it was a decent point nonetheless. To get to mid January and still be in second place is an excellent place to be and should be applauded and we are still very much in the mix for back to back promotions and with the transfer window now open hopefully the powers that be have their targets very much in mind with work most definitely ongoing behind the scenes.

We already have our first addition in through the door with the arrival on loan of Brighton & Hove Albion winger/Forward Jeremy Sarmiento, talks had been ongoing for some time and the minute the window opened the deal was put to bed, not an awful lot is known of Sarmiento but in McKenna we trust, Brighton certainly seem to think a lot of him and if things go well it has already been mentioned that his time at Town could well be extended into next season too so welcome to Jeremy and all the very best for a successful spell in Suffolk.

Irons also seem to be in the fire with regard to at least One new striker and that cannot come quickly enough what with Hirst's season appearing to be over and Dane Scarlett having been recalled by Spurs, add to that the conundrum that is Freddie Ladapo and we are down to the bare bones in terms of firepower and it will be no surprise to me to see a new face in before the next league game against Sunderland.

With some kind of sickness bug doing the rounds in the corridors of Portman Road and others nursing knocks this weekend will come as a welcome break from league action, instead we have the small matter of the Third round of the FA Cup where fringe players & youngsters will almost certainly be called upon to take on AFC Wimbledon in London. Gone are the days where this is one of the most eagerly awaited weekends of the season, it seems these days to be little more than a hindrance and an unwelcome distraction with the romance of what used to be regarded as the best cup competition in the world very much dwindling away with each passing year, the wonderful days of Ronnie Radford & Mickey Thomas to name but Two seem light years away.

Of course for us fans it will be nice to progress into the Fourth round draw and Kieran McKenna will still want to win but will strive to do so with the likes of Aluko, Humphreys, Williams, Jackson etc etc etc taking to the field. I must confess I know nothing of Wimbledon's players this season but a glance at the League Two table will show you they are doing pretty well and sit in the final play off spot at the midway point of the campaign, in Al Hamadi they have a prolific striker who has attracted interest from clubs in higher echelons, in fact one report had Town being mentioned along with Sunderland, anyone sitting on Sixteen goals will probably always have the scribes linking him with a move up the pyramid.

This could well prove to be a big banana skin for Town and we could well come unstuck, to be fair it would not overly concern me although I would rather not be looking at a statistic that says "Six games without a win" so in the respect it would be nice to see Town's "B" side get the job done and end the tricky run. I have no idea what to predict here but I will stick with Town and opt for a narrow away win to see us into the Fourth Round draw, I won't however be putting any money on it. COYB'S.

The Opposition – AFC Wimbledon - Honours

League

League Two
Play-off winners: 2016

Conference
Play-off winners: 2011

Conference South
Champions: 2008–09

Isthmian League
Play-off winners: 2008

Isthmian League Division One
Champions: 2004–05

Combined Counties League
Champions: 2003–04

Cup

Combined Counties League Premier Challenge Cup
Winners: 2003–04

The Manager – Johnnie Jackson

Head to Head

Match Referee – Matthew Donohue

AFC WIMBLEDON 0 IPSWICH TOWN 1

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Re: FA Cup (R3) - AFC Wimbledon vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Bluemike » Thu Jan 04, 2024 10:01 pm

Anyone know if this game is live anywhere?

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Thu Jan 04, 2024 10:04 pm

It’s being shown “ internationally “ whatever that means🤷‍♀️ vpn use ?

I think Town might be affected by sickness bug - odd that given that Broadhead chucked up in the changing room ! :roll:

I see that narwich to$$s sutton has Wimbledon to win . He’s so bloody predictable in his bias against Town isn’t he. I bloody hate the six fingered arse hole

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Thu Jan 04, 2024 11:47 pm

I'm quite looking forward to this cup match as it gives all the players who sit on the bench plus some others a chance for a competitive match, Put Walton in goal to see if he's still sharp, give Sarmiento a runout on the left side Hutchinson on the right Freddie and Aluco upfront, Taylor and Humphries midfield, Donacien, Baggott, Ball, Edmunson at the back

rossi

Post by rossi » Fri Jan 05, 2024 9:40 am

Yes - Al Hamadi is a definite threat that we need to deal with.

I remember a number of seasons ago when we played Chester in the FA Cup - after the game our players said that their centre forward - a certain Jonathan Walters - had been a real handful, and we were so impressed that we bought him. We all know what happened after that. Deja-Vu?

rossi

Post by rossi » Fri Jan 05, 2024 9:41 am

ashfordblue wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2024 11:47 pm
I'm quite looking forward to this cup match as it gives all the players who sit on the bench plus some others a chance for a competitive match, Put Walton in goal to see if he's still sharp, give Sarmiento a runout on the left side Hutchinson on the right Freddie and Aluco upfront, Taylor and Humphries midfield, Donacien, Baggott, Ball, Edmunson at the back
Morsy will play this one for sure, given that he will miss the next 2 games

shabba

Post by shabba » Fri Jan 05, 2024 11:02 am

hallamblue wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2024 10:04 pm

I think Town might be affected by sickness bug - odd that given that Broadhead chucked up in the changing room ! :roll:

I see that narwich to$$s sutton has Wimbledon to win . He’s so bloody predictable in his bias against Town isn’t he. I bloody hate the six fingered arse hole
Its on ESPN Play/ESPN+, so if you have access to those you might be ok but I suspect it won't be easy to watch on a non-dodgy stream for UK users even if you have a VPN.

I doubt its easy to get a day pass or such for ESPN Play/ESPN+.

shabba

Post by shabba » Fri Jan 05, 2024 11:10 am

I'd go with:

Walton

JD
Edmudson
Axel
Williams (or if still a bit 'off' then Humpreys)

Morsy
Humpreys (or Ball if Humpreys is needed at LB)

Sarmiento
Harness (or Aluko)
Hutchinson

Jackson (assume Ladapo is off soon)

You have a few versitle players there so could be swapped about, have a few youngsters on the bench etc.

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Fri Jan 05, 2024 1:02 pm

The 3rd round of the FA Cup. Used to be my favourite day in the football calendar when the dream would start of could this be our year?
As Mike so rightly said, the competition has become so devalued by some clubs that they now treat it with disdain. I note that there will be no replays as from the 5th round this year and there is talk of as from next season no replays at all. For us old gits just imagine if that had been the case in 1975 which would have meant just 1 instead of 4 epic games against Leeds.
Will be at the game tomorrow, cheering the lads on and hoping that we can get the win so I can start dreaming again although it will probably be very short lived.

Wimbledon 1 Town 2

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Fri Jan 05, 2024 1:10 pm

shabba wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2024 11:02 am
hallamblue wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2024 10:04 pm

Its on ESPN Play/ESPN+, so if you have access to those you might be ok but I suspect it won't be easy to watch on a non-dodgy stream for UK users even if you have a VPN.

I doubt its easy to get a day pass or such for ESPN Play/ESPN+.
Ah, ok thanks for that Shabba 👍… I probably won’t bother …. It’s a game to “ get through” without further injuries and to give peripheral players minutes so it won’t be a particularly high functioning fluid “ team “ in my humble view.

herforder

Post by herforder » Fri Jan 05, 2024 4:59 pm

Always thought ‘Wimbledon and Plough Lane’ were shorthand for: ‘you lot come here and be prepared to die!’ Of course that was eons ago when one V Jones was master of everyone who he kicked or squeezed (remember that iconic Gazza photo).!

No doubt this one has the potential for media delight if we slip on that banana skin. If we do, so be it - giving players some minutes, minimising injuries to key players and possibly starting to integrate our newbies will provide some positives. Hoping for a win and a good performance.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Fri Jan 05, 2024 5:23 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2024 10:01 pm
Anyone know if this game is live anywhere?
I was expecting to watch it on TownTV or iFollow Wimbledon or is it not being shown. I assumed if I could watch it you could do the same with a VPN ?

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Jan 05, 2024 5:26 pm

Apparently you can't?

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Fri Jan 05, 2024 6:43 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2024 5:26 pm
Apparently you can't?
You being you or me ?

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Fri Jan 05, 2024 6:47 pm

For the first time ever I’m beginning to think we could do without the FA Cup this year, although my only concern is the damage it could do to team confidence as there’s nothing better for that than winning.

Maybe would should just play the second X1 and see how far they can go.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Jan 05, 2024 7:15 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2024 6:43 pm
Bluemike wrote:
Apparently you can't?
You being you or me ?
Either of us

shabba

Post by shabba » Fri Jan 05, 2024 9:03 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2024 7:15 pm
Charnwood wrote:
Bluemike wrote:
Apparently you can't?
You being you or me ?

Either of us
Correct. Maybe you might have ESPN or such in Spain otherwise it’s dodgy stream or nothing I suspect sadly.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Fri Jan 05, 2024 9:54 pm

shabba wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2024 9:03 pm
Bluemike wrote:
Charnwood wrote:

You being you or me ?

Either of us
Correct. Maybe you might have ESPN or such in Spain otherwise it’s dodgy stream or nothing I suspect sadly.

That’s a bummer. I thought I could watch it on either TownTV or follow Wimbledon. I’d even arranged my tee time in the morning do I could get home from golf in time to watch it. I guess I’ll have to get home in time to watch a different match.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Fri Jan 05, 2024 9:58 pm

These aren't the ones that won the F.A. Cup in 1980's, near went out of business and rose again. Not the Crazy Gang from years back, just trying to determine who we got here although simple math being it'll be a Town win and we'll progress into later rounds. Just can't see them winning, there will be no upset or surprise score with this.

Tough to catch progress when underway, may just sample some action in later stages of game but seeing as we'll just about win anyhow may as well allow the team the expected victory. Not sure what team McKenna will field, there's players out and line-ups to play about with but that's the only way the opposition can take something from it. Even with a weakened squad or pivotal names out we'll surely have too much for them.

46 years since a competition victory, where the hell time goes you can't always comprehend. 3 - 1 Town victory.

shabba

Post by shabba » Fri Jan 05, 2024 11:33 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2024 9:54 pm
shabba wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2024 9:03 pm
Bluemike wrote:

Either of us

That’s a bummer. I thought I could watch it on either TownTV or follow Wimbledon. I’d even arranged my tee time in the morning do I could get home from golf in time to watch it. I guess I’ll have to get home in time to watch a different match.
You can listen in via town tv if that helps.

It’s a bit annoying as it’ll be sold out at the ground so it’s a shame they can’t make money for the club (especially Wimbledon) By televising it.

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Sat Jan 06, 2024 8:14 am

rossi wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2024 9:40 am
Yes - Al Hamadi is a definite threat that we need to deal with.
He is away with Iraq in the Asia cup, along with another of their strikers Omar Bugiel (Lebanon) according to the EADT.
That might be a blessing in disguise, as the former has already been doing well in the cup. Wimbledon, I see, have scored 10 goals in two FA cup games so far, albeit to lower level teams than Town! However they've also dispatched Coventry in the Caraboa cup and limited a strong Chelsea line up to just a 2-1 victory at Stamford Bridge.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Jan 06, 2024 12:21 pm

arana peligrosa wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2024 9:58 pm
These aren't the ones that won the F.A. Cup in 1980's, near went out of business and rose again…..
Yep. And Mike / Frosty rightly left that Cup honour blank in the list above. Ceased to exist. Like Glasgow Rangers. Liquidated. Done & dusted. Honours ceased. All this #55 bullshit everyone had to endure.

Could be a close one today. Don’t think any team will dominate. Tight 1-0 to ITFC.

Cabanas Blue

Post by Cabanas Blue » Sat Jan 06, 2024 12:45 pm

Strong side but no Clarke Williams and I assume JD is still injured.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Jan 06, 2024 1:27 pm

Freddie starts. Hopefully he can show much more desire today. Time to make a difference, Fred.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Jan 06, 2024 1:39 pm

Williams missing from the squad again is odd.

shabba

Post by shabba » Sat Jan 06, 2024 1:40 pm

You can watch it live if you have a bet365 account with money in it (min £5, can take out after)

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Jan 06, 2024 1:41 pm

1-0 Town. Own Goal

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Jan 06, 2024 1:53 pm

1-1 penalty know nothing about how or who

Bluemike
Global Moderator