Mowbray is a Brummie

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Mowbray is a Brummie

Post by Bluemike » Mon Jan 08, 2024 2:43 pm

Former Town captain and coach Tony Mowbray has been appointed the new manager of Birmingham City, signing a two-and-a-half-year deal, with fellow Blues legend Mark Venus once again joining him as his assistant.

Mowbray, 60, and Venus, 56, were sacked by Sunderland just over a month ago after 16 months on Wearside. They take over following Wayne Rooney’s sacking, the ex-England captain having been dismissed last week after only 15 games in charge.

Birmingham co-owner and chairman of the board Tom Wagner told his club’s official website: “Tony was the standout candidate in our search for a new manager. His knowledge of and passion for the game shone through. He shares our ambition and will bring stability at an important time for our great club.

“We received extremely positive feedback from everyone we spoke to about Tony. I am looking forward to seeing him working with the team and he will get the support needed to bring success to the club.”

Chief executive officer Garry Cook added: “We are delighted to welcome Tony Mowbray to Birmingham City. Tony is a widely respected figure in the game and brings a wealth of Championship experience. He knows what it takes to be successful at this level.

“Tony has rightfully earned a reputation as a manager who delivers results, likes to play attractive football, and gives young players a chance. He is the right leader at the right time for our club and I know that our supporters will be right behind him and the team.”

Mowbray said: “I am excited to be joining Birmingham City at this time. I can’t wait to get back on the training pitch and start working with this talented group of players.

“My focus is on building their confidence, delivering results and giving Blues fans a team they can be excited by and proud of.

“I know from personal experience how passionate Bluenoses are, home and away, and I’m looking forward to having their full support for the team starting on Saturday at home to Swansea City.

“Tom Wagner and Garry Cook have outlined the ambition for the club. I can’t wait to get started and play my role in helping to make it a reality.”

Birmingham, who sacked John Eustace in October when sixth in the Championship table, are 20th following Rooney’s disastrous spell.

Ricco

Re: Mowbray is a Brummie

Post by Ricco » Mon Jan 08, 2024 3:05 pm

They've had 9 full time managers since a manager has been able to hold that post for more than 100 games, so I hope the owners have learnt from their ridiculous firing and hiring thus far this season.

herforder

Post by herforder » Mon Jan 08, 2024 3:06 pm

Good fit for Brum - hope he’s given sufficient time by their trigger happy owner/board! As had been mentioned before, this might affect Fulham’s intention to recall JS. Have to see how it plays out. But we still need quality replacement for GH.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Mon Jan 08, 2024 4:48 pm

I’m really pleased for him, he certainly didn’t deserve his sacking at Sunderland and many of the Black Cat fans were very disappointed. I wish him well at Birmingham and hope it goes well for him. An absolute gent. 👍

Cabanas Blue

Post by Cabanas Blue » Mon Jan 08, 2024 5:06 pm

Wish him and Mark well and let's hope they give them time, Moga is a good manager he's proven that more than once.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Mon Jan 08, 2024 7:17 pm

I think Brum have got themselves a good manager 👍

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Mon Jan 08, 2024 7:56 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2024 7:17 pm
I think Brum have got themselves a good manager 👍
Certainly an improvement on his predecessor.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Mon Jan 08, 2024 9:59 pm

I’d be an improvement on their previous manager!! :lol:

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Jan 08, 2024 10:43 pm

So would Noddy

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Tue Jan 09, 2024 1:15 pm