Championship - Ipswich Town vs Sunderland AFC Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Can we hold onto second place?

Ipswich Win
81%
Sunderland Win
6%
Draw
13%

Total votes: 16

lucy

Re: Championship - Ipswich Town vs Sunderland AFC Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by lucy » Sat Jan 13, 2024 8:24 pm

92 Minutes played, 3 Minutes left

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Jan 13, 2024 8:25 pm

We just need to see this one out. 🤞

lucy

Post by lucy » Sat Jan 13, 2024 8:26 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2024 8:25 pm
I hate squeaky bum time

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Jan 13, 2024 8:27 pm

lucy wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2024 8:26 pm
Charnwood wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2024 8:25 pm
I hate squeaky bum time
Don’t we all Lucy.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Jan 13, 2024 8:30 pm

Great to see how much that meant to Kieron McKenna 👍💙👍💙👍💙

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Sat Jan 13, 2024 8:30 pm

chaplin for sure is a valuable addition to the squad. Without him doubt somehow we'd be where we are or the season would have been such a success. Not as efficient as last season maybe but we're in a higher league after all.

Remains 2 - 1 with time running out, just hanging on for conformation of the win. Victory will be essential with nearest rivals picking up wins. A 2 - 1 win will be just fine for the prediciton league, score should remain as it is with time just about up. Sure as hell couldn't go another game without league victory.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Jan 13, 2024 8:32 pm

WOOOOOOOAAAAAH 🥳🥳🥳🥳🥳🥳👍👍👍👍👍

Cabanas Blue

Post by Cabanas Blue » Sat Jan 13, 2024 8:33 pm

Great result and well deserved COYB.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Jan 13, 2024 8:36 pm

Considering Travis had hardly played this season I thought he looked quite good. Taylor loses the ball too much for me I’m afraid . Does some really good things then looses ball cheaply.

Thought we did very well with a weakened team. Well played lads.

MOTM? Clarke 👍

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Jan 13, 2024 8:37 pm

Great win......., never in doubt.

mendipblue

Post by mendipblue » Sat Jan 13, 2024 8:38 pm

What was pleasing about that result was we came from behind to win and without our central midfield recognised pairing. :👏

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Jan 13, 2024 8:40 pm

I hope Ipswich fans were giving it "WHO ARE YA?" to boil face bile tonight. Or whatever his name is.

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Sat Jan 13, 2024 8:41 pm

Huge win! Huge relief! :mrgreen:

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Jan 13, 2024 8:42 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2024 8:36 pm
Considering Travis had hardly played this season I thought he looked quite good. Taylor loses the ball too much for me I’m afraid . Does some really good things then looses ball cheaply.

Thought we did very well with a weakened team. Well played lads.

MOTM? Clarke 👍

Conor Chaplin and I suspect Leif Davis not far behind

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Sat Jan 13, 2024 8:43 pm

Just relief to have won. Hopefully now inspire the players to return to successive wins and once we got players back from injury or supsension we can carry on like before. Don't know how well we played today with the team available but reaction seems to be we were value for it. Still need to make ground on Leicester but really it was an ideal scenario, they lose and we win.

Somehow felt compeled to check out a Maidstone score. Endured a loss today at Havant Waterlooville (?) They must be real excited about the upcoming game but right now we focus on the league and one more time today was something of an imperative victory. Catch more reaction, say highlights at a later time.

lucy

Post by lucy » Sat Jan 13, 2024 8:44 pm

marko69 wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2024 8:40 pm
I hope Ipswich fans were giving it "WHO ARE YA?" to boil face bile tonight. Or whatever his name is.
Who you on about 🤣

Steve

Post by Steve » Sat Jan 13, 2024 8:44 pm

That win is massive, it really is. Much changed team, missing huge players. Dropped to 3rd, went behind but yet pulled the game around and won.. What character.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Jan 13, 2024 8:45 pm

Massive Massive win with the pressure on and a weakened team, one thing we do have is a never say die attitude and guts by the bucket load, we never give up.

I thought Chaplin was excellent second half, sarmiento looks a lively prospect, Travis solid start, Taylor improved a little as game went on but gives the ball away so often.

The question of Hladky looking a little shaky at times tonight was almost certainly down to the absence of Morsy who invariably drops deep for Hladky to pass out to, that was missing tonight.

Broadhead disappointed me again, he has way to many iffy games. I must confess the last 3 or 4 times I've seen Edmundson he has definitely tightened up and looks far more solid, more secure than Woolfy for sure.

A massive win and still we repel the charge of the megabucks prem squad teams.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Jan 13, 2024 8:45 pm

I can’t believe how well we did without both Morsy and Luongo in the centre of midfield. A massive win and a massive 3 points. Who would ever have thought pre season that we’d take 6 points off Sunderland. 👏👏👏

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Jan 13, 2024 8:45 pm

It certainly was Steve! Tbh I thought we looked generally in control and really should have had a penalty and at least two other goals from open play.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Jan 13, 2024 8:51 pm

lucy wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2024 8:44 pm
marko69 wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2024 8:40 pm
Who you on about 🤣
Sunderland boss

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Jan 13, 2024 8:54 pm

In many ways I could kick Sam Morsy’s butt. Because his disciplinary record could kick us in the teeth . He’s missing key matches where had he been in the side I think we’d have won a lot more in December … it’s annoying , but underlines his importance .

Monday v Leicester? I’ve felt all season we’d beat them … but that was with Morsey in the team. Travis looks a good fit … Taylor ? Too wasteful for me for these big games where the margins are fine.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Jan 13, 2024 8:58 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2024 8:54 pm
In many ways I could kick Sam Morsy’s butt. Because his disciplinary record could kick us in the teeth . He’s missing key matches where had he been in the side I think we’d have won a lot more in December … it’s annoying , but underlines his importance .

Monday v Leicester? I’ve felt all season we’d beat them … but that was with Morsey in the team. Travis looks a good fit … Taylor ? Too wasteful for me for these big games where the margins are fine.
It also underlines that Kieron McKenna has a winning mentality running throughout the club....., even amongst the debutants. He could arguably have Morsy fighting for his place back in the team? (That one gummi bear too many?)

Seriously though......., as Mendipblue says, to come back and win with a way less than "usual" team......, the manager has instilled desire. Something lacking in modern football.

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Sat Jan 13, 2024 9:13 pm

Not necessarily in performance but in terms of character and spirit, today was as good as anything we have produced this season. Was really impressed with Travis and thought we thoroughly deserved the win. As for the ref I will leave others to comment.

trimleyblue
Global Moderator

Post by trimleyblue » Sat Jan 13, 2024 9:25 pm

Shed on tour wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2024 9:13 pm
Not necessarily in performance but in terms of character and spirit, today was as good as anything we have produced this season. Was really impressed with Travis and thought we thoroughly deserved the win. As for the ref I will leave others to comment.
OK, I'll bite. The referee was awful.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Jan 13, 2024 9:26 pm

marko69 wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2024 8:58 pm
hallamblue wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2024 8:54 pm

It also underlines that Kieron McKenna has a winning mentality running throughout the club....., even amongst the debutants. He could arguably have Morsy fighting for his place back in the team? (That one gummi bear too many?)

Seriously though......., as Mendipblue says, to come back and win with a way less than "usual" team......, the manager has instilled desire. Something lacking in modern football.
We’ve not got the best squad in terms of quality level in depth, but you’ll be hard pressed to find one anywhere near ours for ( as you say marko), winning mentality), never giving up , and TOTAL squad togetherness. Every player plays for the shirt but more importantly for his team mates, and doesn’t it just show!

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Sat Jan 13, 2024 9:57 pm

Just seen the highlights, lovely stuff, Chaplin should've had two with his head!

Fully expecting Clarke to be out of position for their goal, but yeeps, he was over at left back!! I imagine he was pulled over there covering a counter or something, but yikes, I'd like to see more of the build up.

Initially thought Burns was too deep and should have been on their man taking the shot, but he was clearly that deep because Clarke was AWOL, so actually credit to him.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Jan 13, 2024 10:19 pm

Ricco wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2024 9:57 pm
Just seen the highlights, lovely stuff, Chaplin should've had two with his head!

Fully expecting Clarke to be out of position for their goal, but yeeps, he was over at left back!! I imagine he was pulled over there covering a counter or something, but yikes, I'd like to see more of the build up.

Initially thought Burns was too deep and should have been on their man taking the shot, but he was clearly that deep because Clarke was AWOL, so actually credit to him.

I thought Harry got caught out of position a few times especially early on but you can’t fault him for passion commitment and effort. TBH I thought he played much better and more controlled after his booking. For me the weakest Town player performance this evening by far was Nathan Broadhead who didn’t really get going.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Jan 13, 2024 10:20 pm

Shed on tour wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2024 9:13 pm
The referee for me was shocking with some questionable decision and inconsistency especially with his awarding of yellow cards which went heavily against us. Morsy was definitely best out of it today.

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Sat Jan 13, 2024 10:23 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2024 10:19 pm
I thought Harry got caught out of position a few times especially early on but you can’t fault him for passion commitment and effort. TBH I thought he played much better and more controlled after his booking. For me the weakest Town player performance this evening by far was Nathan Broadhead who didn’t really get going.
From what I've seen he gets pulled out of position very easily, but as you say, full of passion and posistion is surely something that will get repeatedly drilled in to him and he'll learn and get better for it. He's missing some fundamentals, but he's young.

I feel Broadhead might do well from a spell in a different position, perhaps he could switch with Chaplin at points in games, or even a spell up top in the middle. I do wonder if that could do something for gim, might get him back in to a purple patch.