Why does it always rain on me - Travis

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

hallamblue

Why does it always rain on me - Travis

Post by hallamblue » Tue Jan 09, 2024 8:10 am

hallamblue wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2024 8:10 am

Everything you need to know about Lewis Travis;

Lewis Travis has left Blackburn Rovers despite being named club captain. He has arrived at Ipswich Town on loan from Blackburn Rovers, becoming the club's second signing of the January transfer window. Alex Jones takes a closer look at the 26-year-old midfielder who is moving down south for the first time in his career

Made in the North West

Born in Whiston, Travis came through the ranks at Premier League giants Liverpool, initially joining them at the age of seven back in 2004.

He spent 10 years on Merseyside, where he played as a defender, but left before progressing to the first team. In 2014, he joined up with Blackburn, where he spent two years in the academy system before earning his first professional contract at the age of 19.

His manager at the time, Ipswich legend Tony Mowbray, saw the right traits and characteristics in him to transition him into a midfielder. He was handed a bit-part role as Rovers won promotion from League One in 2018, but he quickly developed into an important first team player.

He struggled for minutes in the first half of the 2018/19 season, often coming off the bench for five minutes at a time and playing out of position. However, he was brought into the team for his first start of the season in December, where his side lost 3-0 to Sheffield United at Bramall Lane.

He managed to keep his place, starting in all but one of their remaining league fixtures that season and often playing the full 90 minutes. It was a period that kickstarted his career, helping Blackburn to establish themselves in the Championship before becoming club captain.

In March 2023, he revealed that leading Blackburn out at Wembley was ‘on his bucket list’, so it could be seen as a surprise that's moved on. There’s rarely smoke without fire though.

Some Blackburn supporters speculated that Travis fell out with manager Jon Dahl Tomasson.

Why he left Blackburn

Travis’ situation is a tricky one. Different people have said different things about him and his situation at Blackburn, and truthfully, the genuine answer will probably remain unclear.

What we know is that he was unhappy with his role at the club. After a spell out of the team in the early stages of last year, he revealed to the media that he ‘hated’ being on the sidelines. Despite being the club captain, that hasn’t really changed.

While he’s made 20 appearances in the Championship so far this season, most of them have come from the bench or out of position at full-back. His last start in midfield came all the way back on October 1, when Rovers lost 4-1 at home to Leicester City.

Manager Jon Dahl Tomasson revealed that Travis only really wanted to play in a deep-lying midfield role, adding that he’d asked to leave over the summer and again in October, with his exit – as one of the top earners at Ewood Park - freeing up wages for January recruits to come in.

There’s little secret, however, that the club rejected a bid of £800k from Millwall back in June 2023. There was also reported interest from MLS outfit Atlanta United and Premier League side Luton Town.

With that in mind, why would Blackburn let him leave on loan? If you scratch beneath the surface, is there more to it?

The Lancashire Telegraph has reported that he ‘reluctantly’ agreed to the move to get more game time, with a source claiming that he ‘sought answers from Tomasson about his role in midfield but to no avail’.

Fans have speculated that there may have been a rift between the two, but the manager has claimed that he has ‘absolutely no problem with Trav’.

It seems that the current first-choice midfield pairing of Sondre Tronstad and Adam Wharton are more suited to what the manager wants. That being said, the way the club have gone about Travis’ exit has received significant criticism from supporters, and they now need to find the right player to take up his place in the squad.

Sam Morsy (10) is the only Ipswich player with more yellow cards than Travis (7)

Style of play

A natural defensive midfielder, Travis is big, physical and aggressive. He likes to get stuck in and knows how to use his height to his advantage.

Under Tomasson, Blackburn have tried to play attractive, possession-based football. Travis doesn’t naturally suit that role, meaning that he often sits deep and protects the back line.

When he wins the ball back, he isn’t keen on bringing it forward and trying to create a chance. Instead, he looks for the first pass available, allowing someone else to carry it into the final third.

That’s probably the biggest difference between him and Sam Morsy, who’s incredibly comfortable on the ball. That could change under Kieran McKenna, but the likelihood is that his style will transfer over to Ipswich without any real adjustment.

He’s probably going to be the natural backup to the Egyptian international, which is an area that Town are struggling with. Lee Evans is injured while Dom Ball has started just one league game so far this season. Given that Morsy is suspended for the upcoming games against Sunderland and Leicester, it feels like a simple switch.

Beyond that, it’s tricky to see where he fits into the first-choice starting line-up. Part of the reason behind his move to Portman Road is game time, but he wants that to come as a midfielder.

He’s often been used to cover left-back and right-back positions at Blackburn, however, meaning that he can step in for the likes of Leif Davis, Harry Clarke and Brandon Williams.

One area of concern could be his disciplinary record, with seven yellow cards to his name already this season. It means that he's just three away from receiving a two-match ban, like the one Morsy is serving right now.

“The manager (McKenna) has been open and honest about it. The lads in centre mid, where I play, have been doing really well,” he said, upon joining the Blues. “But I’ve come in to play games. I think it’s just about me getting in there, impressing and helping the team get the job done."

East Anglian Daily Times: Lewis Travis' long-range strike gave Rovers all three points against QPR on the opening day of last season
Lewis Travis' long-range strike gave Rovers all three points against QPR on the opening day of last season (Image: PA Images)

That goal

Travis doesn’t really score goals. In more than 200 appearances for Blackburn across all competitions, he’s found the back of the net just six times. That being said, when he does have his shooting boots on, he can do it in style.

His first professional goal came away at Norwich City in 2018/19, firing a low effort into the net from the edge of the box. No Town fans would complain if he did that on his next trip to Carrow Road, that’s for sure.

He scored from a similar distance at home to Luton Town the following season, while his thunderous finish against Swansea City at the start of the 2022/23 campaign will also live long in the memory of Rovers fans.

What a screamer this was from Blackburn @Rovers' Lewis Travis 😱

Watch our @EFL highlights show on @ITV4 at 9pm pic.twitter.com/u6dGaf01yh
— ITV Football (@itvfootball) July 30, 2022
His best goal, however, came a week before his side’s 3-0 win in South Wales. QPR faced the long trip up to Ewood Park on the opening day of the season, and Travis made them pay with an absolute screamer.

The R’s cleared a corner out to Ryan Hedges, who flicked his header back to the midfielder around 25 yards out from goal. From there, he composed himself and looped an astonishing effort into the net to hand his side a 1-0 win.

Tony Mowbray and Michael Beale have both praised the Liverpool academy graduate.

What’s been said

Those who’ve worked with Travis have been full of praise for him.

Speaking after his 100th start for Blackburn in 2021, Mowbray said: "He brings a spirit to the team, and that’s why he plays when he’s available.

“Trav’s got lots of areas to improve his football, but he’s a warrior at heart and he’s made of the right stuff.

“He wants to win every tackle, every five-a-side and every game. It’s really important to have those ingredients in your football team.

“He of course has to perform to play but generally his personality means that he’ll give everything he’s got, whether he has a great game or a bad one.

“Trav puts a responsibility on himself. He’s very aware of the competition around the club and who can potentially play in midfield. He makes sure there are no down days in training.

“As a football manager, to see who has it in their belly when the games come thick and fast, Travis is someone who is always up for the fight.”

Former QPR boss Michael Beale, currently of Sunderland, coached Travis when the pair worked together at Liverpool’s academy.

They spoke after Travis scored his screamer against the R’s, where Beale joked that he regretted teaching the midfielder to shoot from range with such accuracy.

“Firstly, I'm so proud of him,” he admitted. “I know his dad and granddad were in the stands and I knew them for a long time when I went to Liverpool.

“For him to be captain of a club of this size is a fantastic personal achievement.

“He's earned it the hard way, coming through the academy and it was a fantastic goal.

“Well done to him because it was a goal worthy of winning the game”

IPSWICH TOWN FC

By Alex Jones
@alexnljones
Football Writer

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Re: Why does it always rain on me - Travis

Post by Bluemike » Tue Jan 09, 2024 9:13 am

Reading that makes me wonder why the hell he's here tbh, doesn't sound like he fits our system, nor do I see him as a starter which appears to be the main reason he wanted out of Blackburn.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Tue Jan 09, 2024 9:19 am

Bluemike wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2024 9:13 am
Reading that makes me wonder why the hell he's here tbh, doesn't sound like he fits our system, nor do I see him as a starter which appears to be the main reason he wanted out of Blackburn.
Exactly my thoughts Mike. Great read though and a good insight into the player. I can only assume he want to give two fingers to the Blackburn manager and draw attention to the fact he wants to move on and is ready to take a chance.

Maybe he thinks he can play alongside Morsy with a view to taking over from him given their 6 years age difference. Perhaps he thinks McKenna can improve his game and add a new dimension to his play. I think this is more about him wanting to play for McKenna than for Ipswich Town. But the same can probably be said for most of our signings.

I just hope we can keep hold of McKenna or there will be lots of disappointed people, players and fans.

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Tue Jan 09, 2024 9:47 am

Morsy has to be the most important and pivotal player for Ipswich since who? Holland? So it's impossible boots to fill and Taylor and Ball haven't been able to do so reliably. Perhaps there's just not that much out there, perhaps it's a good signing, or maybe it's a roll of the dice, a trial, or even a bit of desperation.

I'm not impressed with who we've gotten in so far, or even particularly who we've been linked with. That is probably a sign the team is solid and hard to improve on, but also a worry. Having said that, we've also been surprised by some players who have come here and found a new lease of life so I'll try and keep positive!

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Tue Jan 09, 2024 11:34 am

I’ll echo the same Thoughts as you guys. He’s almost a single string to his bow type of player. He’d only cover Morsy or Luongo but I think he’s jumped at the chance to join us because of where we are and how we’re doing this season. He seems to Be a Skuse, holding, type of Player. We need grit in that midfield and I think the defence needs help but not sure he’s the best option tbh…. We shall see.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Tue Jan 09, 2024 1:28 pm

I think Travis brings another dimension as far as his defensive capabilities for KM to explore. I can see Travis paired with Taylor when Morsy is unavailable, and we'll probably see Travis coming on from the bench late to help secure leads. How many times do we seem rather thin in the middle? It is great to have such an attacking philosophy, but occasionally that needs to be adjusted.

herforder

Post by herforder » Tue Jan 09, 2024 2:02 pm

Apart from SM and, to a lesser extent ML, I sometimes feel that we are a bit soft collectively, and fairly easily lose possession to more physical opponents. With SM out for a couple of key games, KM might have seen an opportunity arising from the internal Blackburn situation to add some additional steel to the squad, and provide options via a player who’s desperately keen to play football. Luckily we’re blessed with loads of flair players; a bit more strength for the battles to come can’t be a bad thing.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Jan 09, 2024 6:11 pm

I agree with the next Two games, after that I don't see where he fits in.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Tue Jan 09, 2024 8:18 pm

Let’s hope we’re all pleasantly surprised as I don’t see him joining us to sit on the bench or be a bit part player.

herforder

Post by herforder » Tue Jan 09, 2024 10:35 pm

ML possibly the most concerned.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Tue Jan 16, 2024 10:22 am

I thought Lewis Travis had a very good debut game against Sunderland on Saturday and proved his value as a signing. I just can’t see him being happy in a back up role to Morsy and Luongo. Where do others see him fitting in the team/squad.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Jan 16, 2024 11:02 am

I have a feeling Mass is gonna be injured for a while which solves the immediate problem, I think that by the time he returns Travis will have forced his way in as a regular alongside Morsy.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Tue Jan 16, 2024 11:42 am

Essentially we now have three very strong midfielders for two central battling / holding roles. I’d say that good. Not sure though where Taylor fits into all of this …. Still not sure he’s up to CC level due to poor consistency. He gives the ball away far too easily , which with our style of play leaves us very open to counter attacking sides.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Jan 16, 2024 1:06 pm

I also can't see where Lee Evans is ever going to fit in when fit again

herforder

Post by herforder » Tue Jan 16, 2024 2:10 pm

Or Pantuche Camara - out injured at Charlton.

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Tue Jan 16, 2024 5:48 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2024 6:11 pm
After the Leicester game, I can see Kieran forming a 4-3-3 lineup with Morsy, Travis, and Luongo giving us a strong midfield with Travis doing a deep centre midfield clean-up job and stopping us from giving away sloppy early goals, with a mix of Burns, Chaplin, Broadhead, Sarmiento, Hutchinson, Jackson, Aluko, and Harness up top, plus any new striker that we bring in, very interesting to see what happens, but I do like Travis's metal style game

shabba

Post by shabba » Tue Jan 16, 2024 7:05 pm

ashfordblue wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2024 5:48 pm
Bluemike wrote:
After the Leicester game, I can see Kieran forming a 4-3-3 lineup with Morsy, Travis, and Luongo giving us a strong midfield with Travis doing a deep centre midfield clean-up job and stopping us from giving away sloppy early goals, with a mix of Burns, Chaplin, Broadhead, Sarmiento, Hutchinson, Jackson, Aluko, and Harness up top, plus any new striker that we bring in, very interesting to see what happens, but I do like Travis's metal style game
KM won’t change formation.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Tue Jan 16, 2024 7:33 pm

shabba wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2024 7:05 pm
ashfordblue wrote:
Bluemike wrote:
He won’t change formation if we continue maintain our position in the league, but he may have no choice if we go on a losing streak. Without an additional striker I can see us struggling for goals, especially with Broadhead and Taylor not showing up. Even Chaplin is showing inconsistency. Who’s gonna score the goals, Shabba?

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Jan 16, 2024 9:42 pm

As a side note: Looking fwd to this thread disappearing. Second night in a row i’ve been asked very nicely to “give it a rest” with the Travis karaoke attempts. Didn’t even realise I was doing it.
Must be opening the main board and giving it…… “WHY does it always RAAAAIN on me!”

number 9

Post by number 9 » Tue Jan 16, 2024 9:50 pm

marko69 wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2024 9:42 pm
As a side note: Looking fwd to this thread disappearing. Second night in a row i’ve been asked very nicely to “give it a rest” with the Travis karaoke attempts. Didn’t even realise I was doing it.
Must opening the main board and giving it…… “WHY does it always RAAAAIN on me!”
https://youtube.com/watch?v=9dZW1C3neao ... MDRoELeyOo

Love that one! :lol:

number 9

Post by number 9 » Tue Jan 16, 2024 9:56 pm

Like cornflakes without the milk…you’re dismissed! Lol!

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Jan 16, 2024 10:30 pm

number 9 wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2024 9:50 pm
marko69 wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2024 9:42 pm
Must opening the main board and giving it…… “WHY does it always RAAAAIN on me!”
https://youtube.com/watch?v=9dZW1C3neao ... MDRoELeyOo

Love that one! :lol:
:lol: 👍👌

shabba

Post by shabba » Tue Jan 16, 2024 10:41 pm

number 9 wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2024 7:33 pm
shabba wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2024 7:05 pm
ashfordblue wrote:

He won’t change formation if we continue maintain our position in the league, but he may have no choice if we go on a losing streak. Without an additional striker I can see us struggling for goals, especially with Broadhead and Taylor not showing up. Even Chaplin is showing inconsistency. Who’s gonna score the goals, Shabba?
Still time to get a striker or 2 in, otherwise we have options like Jackson, ladapo and Broadhead can play there. Even a 433 someone would have to be the central focal point, like Liverpool had with Firmino when they played 433.

I just think the chances of a formation change are slim. Time will tell.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Jan 17, 2024 6:47 am

I think Mckenna has already said we won't change

herforder

Post by herforder » Wed Jan 17, 2024 10:43 am

All squads train and play to KM’s team set up. It’s pretty much set in stone and would take something of major impact to force change. We’re nowhere near that scenario.