On this day 1969……

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Charnwood
Global Moderator

On this day 1969……

Post by Charnwood » Sat Jan 13, 2024 10:02 pm

On this day 13th January 1969 Ipswich Town Manager and Legend Bobby Robson RIP was appointed Ipswich's sixth Manager. The former England striker had been sacked by Fulham a year earlier after only 18 months in his first management job. He won the post after meeting director Murray Sangster while scouting at Portman Road for Chelsea.

How much would Sir Bobby have loved Town to beat Sunderland on the Anniversary of him becoming our manager.

RIP Sir 🌹

shabba

Re: On this day 1969……

Post by shabba » Sat Jan 13, 2024 10:33 pm

Before my time but what an amazing man. Nobody had a bad word to say about him, a true gent.

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Sun Jan 14, 2024 9:24 am

36 games, 6 wins, 9 draws and 21 losses as Fulham manager, who would employ such a joker for his second job after that?! Terrible decision... I bet his time at Town was a utter embarrassment.

RIP, a great man and a great manager.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sun Jan 14, 2024 10:23 am

Andy, I was 11yrs old and had that season just been introduced to the great Ipswich Town . Do I’m a Robson Babe really :D … my first game was an evening match vs Derby . We lost 1-0 and was amazed at the streams of “ Izel” loo roll streaming over my head onto the pitch from the back of the North Stand when Derby score from a corner as we failed to clear out lines, ( nothing changes there then !!) :lol:

But SBR era was simply awesome and this era under McKenna is starting to feel like a similar era is building 👍

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Sun Jan 14, 2024 7:32 pm

Didn't follow the club at time in question although McGarry would have won the second league a year, year before. Without using reference or recollection of his true departure seems kind of strange to take one manager who gets you a promotion to the highest league then 7, 8 months after replace it with another. Either McGarry took off and left of his own free will or we really endured a real poor start around summer / fall 1968 and the directors were forced to act.

Although in hindsight getting rid and bringing Sir Robert on board was, really, an excellent choice. Didn't win the league and it weren't through lack of trying but still easily greatest club manager here ever, and will continue to be so.