Towns promotion chances - The Bookies view.

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Towns promotion chances - The Bookies view.

Post by Charnwood » Sun Jan 14, 2024 10:31 pm

See below the Current Odds for promotion to the Premier League ;

2023/24 Championship Promotion Odds

Odds courtesy of bet365, correct at the time of publishing and subject to change.

Team Odds

Leicester City 1/66
Leeds United 4/7
Southampton 8/13
Ipswich Town 4/6

Next by the way is West Brom 13/2

These odds suggest Leicester City’s return to the Premier League is a nailed on certainty, whilst there’s absolutely nothing to choose between the three clubs in the chasing pack.

If we’re blatantly honest I’d think most of us see it pretty much the same way.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Re: Towns promotion chances - The Bookies view.

Post by Bluemike » Mon Jan 15, 2024 6:42 am

I fancy us over Leeds what with a Seven point lead and their inconsistencies. Southampton are on fire but as we all know that can't last forever and a defeat or Two will come soon, they also have the hardest remaining fixtures and visit all the top sides still including us ! If we've had our blip then we ain't out of this just yet.

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Mon Jan 15, 2024 9:39 am

The bookies do also have Ipswich slightly more likely to finish in the top two. The reason why Southampton and Leeds are preferred by them (again very slightly) for promotion, is because they think those two have a better chance of winning the playoffs if they end up there.

It's annoying that Southampton have come in to it, because like you Mike, I think we have Leeds covered. I have also said many times that I feel we'd have a tough winter and then come back in to it towards the end of the season, so to still be second at this point it pretty good I'd say.

valleyroad

Post by valleyroad » Mon Jan 15, 2024 9:50 am

Charnwood wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2024 10:31 pm
See below the Current Odds for promotion to the Premier League ;

2023/24 Championship Promotion Odds

Odds courtesy of bet365, correct at the time of publishing and subject to change.

Team Odds

Leicester City 1/66
Leeds United 4/7
Southampton 8/13
Ipswich Town 4/6

Next by the way is West Brom 13/2

These odds suggest Leicester City’s return to the Premier League is a nailed on certainty, whilst there’s absolutely nothing to choose between the three clubs in the chasing pack.

If we’re blatantly honest I’d think most of us see it pretty much the same way.
Aye my head says Town won't go up come the business end of the season, but if they can keep their best players fit they have a hell of a chance.
Also all those other sides are well managed, so they will be there come the end of the season.
Parachute payments have a lot to answer for.

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Mon Jan 15, 2024 10:00 am

Actually, here you are, here's my winter dip theory... I know with modern pitches and stadiums the effect is reduced, but swirling wind and heavy pitches favour teams who are big lumps, play route one and build more slowly, none of which describes Ipswich.

Below is a graph showing the cumulative point totals (points on the Y, games played on the X), the grey line is the to finish on 100pts average line, orange is this season and blue is last. We're still well ahead of where we were last year and you can see the 'winter dip'. The recovery may have to do with recruitment and the dip may have been a bit to do with them 'gelling', but I'd prefer to think it just the way we'll see a tricky period now and then charge back in to 2nd spot towards the end of the season?!!

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Mon Jan 15, 2024 10:02 am

Baring a surprise in the play offs I think three of those four teams will be promoted. I just hope and pray we don’t finish as the bridesmaid team, as to repeat this level of performance two years running would be extremely difficult, especially if we fail to hold onto Kieron McKenna.