Championship - Leicester City vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Toughest Fixture this Season?

Leicester Win
38%
Ipswich Win
24%
Draw
38%

Total votes: 21

QldBlue

Re: Championship - Leicester City vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by QldBlue » Tue Jan 23, 2024 12:52 pm

number 9 wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2024 12:28 pm
QldBlue wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2024 12:21 pm
hallamblue wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2024 10:10 am
Ah…. The “QLD” ?! Yes of course 👍 :lol:
Good work detective! I grew up in Suffolk following Town as a kid in the late 70s and early 80s. I remember going to Portman road during a training session to get some autographs. BR was so warm and friendly, cracking a joke when he signed my crappy notepad. All the greats were there - Mariner, Mills, Wark, Muhren. Eric Gates was a grumpy bugger though, swore & refused to sign. At the time though I was more taken aback by how short he was! I moved over here 30 years ago. Haven’t had this much fun as a supporter since that amazing season in the Prem League which seems so long ago. It’s tricky to catch games live with the time difference but always worth it (maybe not the Leeds game :wink: ). Watching the Exeter game live last year was just awesome.
Welcome to the forum, QLD! Do you run into many Ipswich fans downunder?
I keep wearing my home and away shirts hoping to flush one out when I’m out and about in the Sunshine Coast but so far, the only person who has clocked the shirt was a Leeds fan.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Jan 23, 2024 12:59 pm

OH OH OH HE'S MAGIC
YOU KNOW !!!
JEREMY SARMIENTO
HE'S MAGIC
YOU KNOW !!!
JEREMY SARMIENTO.

I bet some are singing it lol

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Jan 23, 2024 1:08 pm

McKenna on Hladky 🇨🇿🧤 #ITFC
"Yeah he was important, some good saves, and probably more importantly his bravery with the ball, Leicester sat off the goalkeeper and marked everyone man to man, and we weren't quite able to find solutions to that, but one solution is having a really good, brave goalkeeper who's ready to step into the pitch and find solutions himself or attract the pressure and Vas is that type of goalkeeper and he did that in the second half and helped us through the pitch, he did a big job for us on and off the ball"

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Jan 23, 2024 1:19 pm

herforder wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2024 11:14 am
Interesting comments by KM on BW - particularly the last bit. His overall summary, as ever, was honest, balanced and totally accurate. No cliches or managerial gooblededook - very refreshing!

Acknowledging, publicly, the need for quality reinforcements, to continue the journey, was the other stand out comment. Yes, we all know it to be true - but getting an unequivocal statement from KM is significant. Possibly a guarded nudge towards our owners?

Onwards and upwards!
Yep. Its a significant moment in Ipswich Towns history right at this time. Kieron will definitely be in future Champions League finals with a big gun team and ITFC fans will be remembering when he was at Portman Road. Enjoy all these moments.

Mariner67

Post by Mariner67 » Tue Jan 23, 2024 1:28 pm

Cracking game last night ,there must of been a quite a few gutted Leicester fans heading to their cars when that 89th minute equaliser went in :) We didn't turn up for the first half,when the subs came on it changed the game,happened with Sunderland.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Tue Jan 23, 2024 1:30 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2024 1:08 pm
McKenna on Hladky 🇨🇿🧤 #ITFC
"Yeah he was important, some good saves, and probably more importantly his bravery with the ball, Leicester sat off the goalkeeper and marked everyone man to man, and we weren't quite able to find solutions to that, but one solution is having a really good, brave goalkeeper who's ready to step into the pitch and find solutions himself or attract the pressure and Vas is that type of goalkeeper and he did that in the second half and helped us through the pitch, he did a big job for us on and off the ball"
Hladky did much better the second half, but the first half he looked clueless as far as passing the ball out. KM needs to find a plan B for team's that mark man-to-man like Leicester did. I'm sure it's on KM's list of things to do. :wink:

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Tue Jan 23, 2024 1:35 pm

Many times in that second half Vas was practically on the half way line - I had heart palpitations tbh but he’s so good with ball st feet , need I have worried? Nah!

On his first half performance , McKenna gave the reason for Haldky problem. He said Leicester players did a very high man for man press - but left the Keeper, thus isolating him. He had no one free to pass to, do what should he do? He could only hit it medium long …. Which he did
Last edited by hallamblue on Tue Jan 23, 2024 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Jan 23, 2024 1:36 pm

He's not clueless, he's the best in the division at it by a distance, it is what we base our success on and much of it is down to him. playing as dangerously as we do you are not going to go through a whole season without a hiccup or two along the way, as KM says he is so brave at what he does. the big thing here is we have missed Morsy more than most realise in this area too, he always drops deep to give Hladky the outlet which stretches the opposition, while he has been out the other goons are not always as obliging to help the keeper out. I would go as far as to say had Walton been in goal all season and asked to play this way we would not even be top Six because he is dire at it.

herforder

Post by herforder » Tue Jan 23, 2024 1:57 pm

We’ve got 3 good GKs, if you include Slicker. Vas has improved immensely since he can me in - at one point Walton getting injured was viewed as a disaster. Horses for courses, and Vas is deservedly in the saddle based on his all round abilities to play the KM way.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Tue Jan 23, 2024 1:59 pm

He looked clueless, but you're right there were many other factors such as Morsy not playing. I think in general, we were way too static in the first half. Not enough viable movement, to receive passes or throw ins. I know leicester's coverage was very good, but there has to be more movement. The main improvement in the second half was our movement off the ball...creating targets for passes.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Tue Jan 23, 2024 2:54 pm

Neil Warnocks comment last night re Sam Morsy : lol :lol:

And his lads….when I knew he’d got Sammy Morsy there – he’d get booked playing against himself – but he’s got him there and when I look at the team it epitomises that, one for the other

Ohiotractorboy

Post by Ohiotractorboy » Tue Jan 23, 2024 3:12 pm

Were we playing a little too timid in the first half yesterday? Reminded me of what hallam said yesterday, it seems we have a go the last 20 minutes. Were we more attacking earlier this season, or is it just me? Course Morsy and Hirst being out doesn’t help.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Jan 23, 2024 3:57 pm

Yes we did Ohio, amongst other things

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Tue Jan 23, 2024 4:04 pm

Ohiotractorboy wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2024 3:12 pm
Were we playing a little too timid in the first half yesterday? Reminded me of what hallam said yesterday, it seems we have a go the last 20 minutes. Were we more attacking earlier this season, or is it just me? Course Morsy and Hirst being out doesn’t help.
I do think there has been a perception that we needed to limp through this period, and that has perhaps stopped us being so confident and aggressive, and we've probably given some of these teams too much respect.

Even if subconscious, missing your captain, the man who leads the line, a few other illnesses and injuries, many games close together, and them being against some of the best teams in the league... I think the players would be forgiven if they were a little more tentative in their approach and more accepting of taking a draw. January is always turbulent with new faces coming in and a few going, a few injuries a guarantee, it took us time to settle again last season, but I see no reason why once we've got an established 11 we won't finish the season with a flourish.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Tue Jan 23, 2024 4:11 pm

Ricco wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2024 4:04 pm
Even if subconscious, missing your captain, the man who leads the line, a few other illnesses and injuries, many games close together, and them being against some of the best teams in the league... I think the players would be forgiven if they were a little more tentative in their approach and more accepting of taking a draw. January is always turbulent with new faces coming in and a few going, a few injuries a guarantee, it took us time to settle again last season, but I see no reason why once we've got an established 11 we won't finish the season with a flourish.
Good point!

Mariner67

Post by Mariner67 » Tue Jan 23, 2024 5:02 pm

On Town tv last night Morsy was asked, do you set yourself any targets, Think Matt Holland said,to get no more than15 yellow cards in a season lol

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Jan 23, 2024 5:42 pm

Mariner67 wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2024 5:02 pm
On Town tv last night Morsy was asked, do you set yourself any targets, Think Matt Holland said,to get no more than15 yellow cards in a season lol
:lol: 👍

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Wed Jan 24, 2024 4:03 pm

one of their squad members been charged with intoxication whilst in possession of a vehicle. Can't abide drink-drivers. They're a hazard not only to themselves but everyone else on the road, guess some people think they're above the law when it comes to these things. "Football" players seems no exception.

Leicester midfield player Choudhury was stopped and apprehended by law officials early hours near Nottingham last weekend and refused to provide a sample. Since been charged with over the legal limit. Makes you wonder what level of punishment they'll throw his way.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Jan 24, 2024 6:35 pm

He'll probably get a pay ride such is the corrupt, f*cked up nature of the modern game.