Championship - Leicester City vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Toughest Fixture this Season?

Leicester Win
38%
Ipswich Win
24%
Draw
38%

Total votes: 21

Frosty
Forum Owner

Championship - Leicester City vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Frosty » Thu Jan 18, 2024 9:26 pm

Image Leicester City V Ipswich Town Image

Monday 22nd January 2024 – 20:00

King Power Stadium

Pre Match Thoughts - Mike

I thought taking everything into account last Saturday's teatime victory over Sunderland was one of our best efforts this season, not only for the obvious Three points being secured but also going into a very tough game with virtually half a team unavailable and then to go behind before turning things around showed real character, determination and a will to win when things looked to be going against us. injuries are part and parcel of the game and everyone suffers them from time to time, but there are sometimes circumstances that make the loss of players even more difficult to deal with. we went into the game with the spine of the side ripped out, Burgess (unavailable), Morsy (suspended) and Hirst (injured) really couldn't have been much worse but we dealt with it in some style by the close of play and fully deserved our victory.

I felt there were some real unsung heroes on the night with George Edmundson again looking like a man reborn as the defence by and large did ok, Edmundson rarely put a foot wrong and taking a glance at the few games he has played in this campaign will show any doubters that we have not lost with him in the side, nor have we conceded that many goals so hopefully we have another CB back in the fold that we can depend on.

Another who impressed me on the night was Kayden Jackson, quite often a much maligned player and not known as a leader of the line Jackson was asked to play the role and did it with aplomb on this occasion, his well taken strike to get us quickly back on terms was crucial with it's timing as it stopped Sunderland getting control of the match and swayed the impetus back in our favour, it also seemed to give him confidence and by the close he could well have had a hat-trick, I think that was one of the best efforts I have seen from Jackson in a long long time and really couldn't have come at a better time with strikers hard to come by.

We also got our first glimpse of Lewis Travis and I have to say I was very impressed with what I saw, being asked to step in and cover any first team regular is never easy but to be asked so soon after arriving at the club and for that player to be Sam Morsy made it an even bigger ask but Travis stepped up and the biggest compliment he can be paid is that Morsy was not missed as much as I certainly thought he would be, that is not to say I can't wait for him to return and it could just be we see the start of a Morsy/Travis partnership the Midfield. one of the things I liked the most was that Travis, like Morsy showed he had an edge to his game, wasn't afraid to get stuck in and looked a pretty tough competitor, he also came across as a leader on the pitch and was talking and snapping out instructions from the off, personally I loved that side of his debut, not quite sure what Blackburn are thinking.

Having had more pressure heaped on us by Southampton playing, and duly winning earlier in the day the win was also massive in the context of getting us back into second spot having spent a couple of hours down in Third, McKenna reckons he and the players aren't overly aware, yeah right, whatever, they will have been fully aware so again the win when the pressure was on was testament to all involved.

With league leaders Leicester City up next the tough games really do keep on coming and it truly doesn't get any harder than this with a trip to The King Power Stadium, oh for the days of Filbert Street). Town will need to show all their steel and more if we are to come back to Suffolk with a win here, Leeds did it, not many others will for sure, BUT and it's a big but, are we possibly playing them at the best time you can meet Leicester right now ? they too have players missing what with injury and the AFCON, they are also coming off the back of defeat to Coventry City last weekend which would have most definitely been a reality check having had most things go their way so far. I also think if we cast our minds back to Boxing day and the second half in particular Town caused them a lot of problems and were without doubt the better side for much of the half so why can't we do it again, this could quite possibly be seen as a bit of a free hit so go into it all guns blazing and try to attack them, it could just play into our hands.

At the time of writing we still seek more firepower but as always the transfer market is proving to be as difficult as ever and even the mark Ashton's of this world are having to bide their time. Keiffer Moore, Jay Stansfield & Sam Gallagher the main protagonists in our quest for signings but so far nothing is budging anywhere and we still await the much anticipated domino effect to begin, I am sure by the close of the window we will have brought at least one striker to Portman Road which for me is a minimum requirement, achieve that and we still have a great chance.

This is tough there is no doubt about that but let's remember we have lost less games than anyone else so we are a tough nut to crack too, I just hope, and indeed expect us to be more up for it than the last top of the table battle on Sky where we allowed Leeds Utd to make us look pretty ordinary indeed, I have a feeling it will be quite different this time around. COYB'S

The Opposition – Leicester City FC - Honours

League

First Division / Premier League
Champions: 2015–16
Runners-up: 1928–29

Second Division / First Division / Championship
Champions: 1924–25, 1936–37, 1953–54, 1956–57, 1970–71, 1979–80, 2013–14
Runners-up: 1907–08, 2002–03
Play-off winners: 1994, 1996

League One
Champions: 2008–09

Cup

FA Cup
Winners: 2020–21
Runners-up: 1948–49, 1960–61, 1962–63, 1968–69

League Cup
Winners: 1963–64, 1996–97, 1999–2000
Runners-up: 1964–65, 1998–99

FA Charity Shield / FA Community Shield
Winners: 1971, 2021
Runners-up: 2016

The Manager – Enzo Maresca

League Table as at 18.01.2024

Form Guide

Leicester City FC

23 Dec Leicester City 3 - 0 Rotherham

26 Dec Ipswich Town 1 - 1 Leicester City

29 Dec Cardiff City 0 - 2 Leicester City

1 Jan Leicester City 4 - 1 Huddersfield

13 Jan Coventry City 3 - 1 Leicester City

Ipswich Town

23 Dec Leeds Utd 4 - 0 Ipswich Town

26 Dec Ipswich Town 1 - 1 Leicester City

29 Dec Ipswich Town 0 - 0 QP Rangers

1 Jan Stoke City 0 - 0 Ipswich Town

13 Jan Ipswich Town 2 - 1 Sunderland

Head to Head

Match Referee – Josh Smith

LEICESTER CITY 1 IPSWICH TOWN 1

QldBlue

Re: Championship - Leicester City vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by QldBlue » Thu Jan 18, 2024 11:14 pm

Looking forward to a great game. I’d be feeling a bit more confident if SM was playing but with the character this team has shown, we know they’re capable of winning this one. Assuming Mass is still injured, do we think Taylor will start?

rossi

Post by rossi » Fri Jan 19, 2024 10:02 am

QldBlue wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2024 11:14 pm
Looking forward to a great game. I’d be feeling a bit more confident if SM was playing but with the character this team has shown, we know they’re capable of winning this one. Assuming Mass is still injured, do we think Taylor will start?
I bloody hope not, as we have far better options available. What options? Quite frankly, anybody in the squad who is fit.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Fri Jan 19, 2024 11:19 am

It’ll be Travis but can’t see beyond Taylor as Ball is too slow and has hardly played. Who else did there in that midfield “ squad” 🤷‍♀️?
Taylor can be very good attacking but is very flaky at keeping possession , a big blot in his attributes so far for me.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Jan 19, 2024 11:21 am

Humphreys can play Midfield too.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Fri Jan 19, 2024 11:36 am

Yes he can but is he strong enough for this game ? Not so sure….

number 9

Post by number 9 » Fri Jan 19, 2024 11:41 am

I fear a demoralizing loss, I hope I'm wrong. There are too many 'ifs' at the moment for me to feel confident.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Fri Jan 19, 2024 12:14 pm

number 9 wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2024 11:41 am
I fear a demoralizing loss, I hope I'm wrong. There are too many 'ifs' at the moment for me to feel confident.
Yes, not too confident on this one and the first time this season that had to predict a loss in the PL.
But……. 3-0 ITFC , book it.

Caption:

Enzo: “Come on, Ref. Keep up with play!”
Ref: “Its the Greggs sausage rolls, Enz. Too many.”

QldBlue

Post by QldBlue » Fri Jan 19, 2024 12:37 pm

number 9 wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2024 11:41 am
PTSD after that Leeds away game! If Leicester were at full strength I’d probably feel the same but they’re not and I think we’ll take some confidence into the game from last weekend.

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Fri Jan 19, 2024 4:12 pm

Enzo banned from the touchline
Fatawu their tricky winger with 7 assists missing following his red card against Coventry
Ndidi, the heart of their midfield is out injured, indeed he is :wink:
Strikers Daka & Iheanacho away at African cup of Nations
That's 70 games, 13 goals and 15 assists missing alone!

Defender Souttar is away with Australia.
Talk of Dewsbury-Hall being doubtful with an injury, although I don't really buy into that too much.

Yes Ipswich have their issues too, but this really looks the best time to be facing the Foxes!

number 9

Post by number 9 » Fri Jan 19, 2024 4:30 pm

AzzurroMark wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2024 4:12 pm
Enzo banned from the touchline
Fatawu their tricky winger with 7 assists missing following his red card against Coventry
Ndidi, the heart of their midfield is out injured, indeed he is :wink:
Strikers Daka & Iheanacho away at African cup of Nations
That's 70 games, 13 goals and 15 assists missing alone!

Defender Souttar is away with Australia.
Talk of Dewsbury-Hall being doubtful with an injury, although I don't really buy into that too much.

Yes Ipswich have their issues too, but this really looks the best time to be facing the Foxes!
That makes me feel a bit better, but I’m still skeptical

Dazzz67

Post by Dazzz67 » Fri Jan 19, 2024 4:38 pm

If thats the case AzzurroMark there is no reason why we shouldn't win!

Still plumbing for a score draw though.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Fri Jan 19, 2024 4:38 pm

If we can play with the same commitment and passion we found last week against Sunderland I certainly wouldn’t bet against us getting something out of this game. Even a point would be very credible, however given The Foxes have already lost twice at the King Power Stadium so far this season, one of those defeats to Hull City, must give us a chance however for that to happen I think we would need to keep a clean sheet.

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Fri Jan 19, 2024 6:51 pm

Dazzz67 wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2024 4:38 pm
If thats the case AzzurroMark there is no reason why we shouldn't win!

Still plumbing for a score draw though.
Check out my prediction league score guess! I've put my money where my mouth is :wink:
Mind you, I predicted a home win in this thread poll, but that's just my usual reverse psychology :lol:

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Fri Jan 19, 2024 7:37 pm

Leicester lose another midfielder !!

Leicester City have been hit by another blow ahead of their game against Ipswich Town, with Cesare Casadei recalled from his loan spell by parent club Chelsea.

The 21-year-old joined the Foxes on loan in August, having impressed in the Championship for Reading last season. He made 22 appearances in total, although many of them came off the bench.

However, with Wilfred Ndidi ruled out through injury, Casadei had start in each of their last three games, providing a goal and an assist in his side's FA Cup win against Millwall.

Chelsea have since opted to bring him back to Stamford Bridge, with Mauricio Pochettino reportedly keen on using him in the first team.

Leicester boss Enzo Maresca, who himself is serving a touchline ban, will be without numerous key players for Monday's game against the Blues.

Patson Daka and Kelechi Iheanacho are both at AFCON while Kiernan Dewsbury-Hall could be joining Ndidi on the sidelines after picking up a knock against Coventry City. On top of that, winger Abdul Issahaku is suspended.

The Foxes are working to sign Stefano Sensi from Inter Milan to replace fellow Italian Casadei, but it remains to be seen whether that deal can be done ahead of the game at the King Power Stadium.

If that deal isn't done in time, Hamza Choudhury or Dennis Praet would be the most likely candidates to partner Harry Winks in midfield.

herforder

Post by herforder » Fri Jan 19, 2024 11:06 pm

Just watched Slumberland v Hull. Classic away performance by Hull; keep organised, defend in depth and strength and be patient. Then smash and grab! No reason why we can’t do the same at Leicester. Key will be not to concede an early goal! 1-0 Town. (Why not!)

Caption: ‘OK folks, put your hands together for.........sorry, what was I just saying?’

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Sat Jan 20, 2024 4:42 am

We played them what three, four weeks back and now again. Would have liked to have faced them at a later stage of season instead of so soon after last game. Just imagine season would be laid out better if we delayed playing again until way weeks ahead. Can't seem to pick and choose these things but voted to lose. Just think with the venue, partizan crowd, pivotal players omitted et cetera it may just roll their way.

Won't be no crisis to lose, we'll be there or thereabouts by end of season but all you ask if whatever team we field they show enough desire and determination to make a show of it. Go down fighting if will but show the fans there why we're second right behind them and turning heads. Win would be ideal but kind of too impractical with it.

LCFC 2 ITFC 1

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Jan 20, 2024 11:52 am

I’d love a smash n grab herforder, absolutely love it to happen. But our problem is we can’t defend . However our away defending is better than our home defending , so there’s hope. 👍

herforder

Post by herforder » Sat Jan 20, 2024 12:52 pm

Agree - hope is never in short supply! :D

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Sun Jan 21, 2024 10:24 pm

Have you seen the possible lineup? CB Wolfie and Edmundson,there's a mistake waiting there for sure, and again Jackson is leading the line, and Morsy is back as captain :D, I was hoping Axel would get a start he's better than Wolfie or Edmundson. Keiran must give him a start in a crucial game like this, will we get a win it depends if we turn up and have our scoring boots on, a draw would be ok like we did at the Home match.
Let's see what the lineup is going to be 1 hour before KO, I shall be watching on BBC

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Jan 22, 2024 11:34 am

Morsy isn't back until weekend, still suspended and nor will you be watching on BBC as it isn't on the BBC.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Jan 22, 2024 2:32 pm

How to ruin Ashfords day in one small text! :lol: :lol: :lol:

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Mon Jan 22, 2024 3:51 pm

I Hate all this bad info on the bloody News Now media :x I'll have to watch on NOW for £11

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Mon Jan 22, 2024 3:53 pm

herforder wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2024 11:06 pm
Just watched Slumberland v Hull. Classic away performance by Hull; keep organised, defend in depth and strength and be patient. Then smash and grab! No reason why we can’t do the same at Leicester. Key will be not to concede an early goal! 1-0 Town. (Why not!)

Caption: ‘OK folks, put your hands together for.........sorry, what was I just saying?’
Well if Wolfie and Edmundson are the CB pairing I wouldn't be putting much faith in not conceding an early goal

shabba

Post by shabba » Mon Jan 22, 2024 4:37 pm

A few selection dilemma's tonight:

Defense:

Now I'd be very tempted to play Axel at RB, which would be harsh of Clarke who has been in v good form, but maybe we need some a better defensive player as he'd be up against the very good Mavidi. Axel looked ok at RB, he can carry the ball, just not as dynamic & attacking as Clarke.
People will say drop Wolfie for Axel in CB, but we did that vs Leeds and that didn't go well.

Midfield:

Assuming this will be the midfield, Travis has to play, Taylor likely as I think Masimo might still be out? Would you maybe play him if fit, bit more steel that Taylor....

Attack:

Broadhead has been very quite of late, should be be dropped? Would you bring in the wildcard of Sarimento or go with Harness perhaps? Or even Hutchison who has played wide left on occasion, and done well there.

Striker:

I think Jackson will start, he deserves it after his last performance, you could play Broadhead there but then you lose the pace threat, and also Broadhead has been off the boil lately.

What would your line ups be?

I'll settle on:

Hladkey

Axel
Wolfie
Edmundson
Davis

Travis
Masimo

Sareminto
Chaplin
Burns

Jackson

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Jan 22, 2024 5:17 pm

Mine would be

Hladky

Clarke
Woolfy
Edmundson
Davis

Travis
Ball

Burns
Chaplin
Harness

Jackson

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Mon Jan 22, 2024 6:01 pm

Chelsea have recalled Casadei from Leicester!

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Mon Jan 22, 2024 6:03 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2024 5:17 pm
Mine would be

Hladky

Clarke
Woolfy
Edmundson
Davis

Travis
Ball…….. I would go with Taylor otherwise thst MF too slow and defensive giving our feeds nothing to work from?

Burns
Chaplin
Harness

Jackson

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Mon Jan 22, 2024 6:45 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2024 6:01 pm
Chelsea have recalled Casadei from Leicester!
That was last weeks news Liz, I think you may have even posted it 🤫

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Mon Jan 22, 2024 6:50 pm

I think I would find a slot for Axel and try to keep him at Portman Road as he’s a class defender as long as we can keep him fit.

I’m hoping Luongo will make it tonight as zi’m not sure either Taylor or Ball are good enough for this fixture. If I have to choose one over the other it would probably be Taylor although he does go missing at times.

I’m not too concerned if we go behind as we often seem to play our best football when this happens.