Interesting stats re goals for and against /time

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

hallamblue

Interesting stats re goals for and against /time

Post by hallamblue » Tue Jan 23, 2024 4:19 pm

https://www.twtd.co.uk/statistics/goal-times/

My interpretation of the graph is :

We are most vulnerable to conversing in the first 20mins of a game. This, I think coincides with opponents ability to maintain a high press on us. I’ve often thought most teams pressing tails off after about 25 mins - they simply run out of steam.

Conversely our goal threat peaks after 75mins… coinciding with McK usual 3 man attacking substitutions, most of whom are pacy direct players, giving a tiring opponent’s defenders a torrid time …. If we could only stamp out this early goal against that’s been costing us so many points, we’d probably be home n dry re promotion, even now!

It’s said we’ve saved 21 points from losing position… how about dropping ( however many points it is) eg all those draws where we’ve had to battle back from being a goal down , when should have really won!

Thought it was an interesting graphic anyway 👍

Ricco

Re: Interesting stats re goals for and against /time

Post by Ricco » Tue Jan 23, 2024 4:51 pm

I was just thinking this half hour ago, I expected the graph to be even more stark than that, it feels like nearly every game in the last couple of months we conceded an early goal. I have no reason why it happens either, perhaps teams have seen the same graph and they're all thinking "lets have a real go early, they're vulnerable". At that point it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy without any real foundation!!

number 9

Re: Interesting stats re goals for and against /time

Post by number 9 » Tue Jan 23, 2024 5:13 pm

I think the amount of goals we concede early has more to do with our attacking style of play. Wing backs surging forward create space down the wings for opposing counter attacks. I'd like to see stats on how many conceded goals begin with runs down the flanks. I'd also like to see stats on how quickly we concede goals after scoring first.