FAC Cup (R4) - Ipswich Town vs Maidstone United Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Through to the 5th Round?

Ipswich Win
94%
Maidstone Win
6%
Replay
No votes

Total votes: 16

Frosty
Forum Owner

FAC Cup (R4) - Ipswich Town vs Maidstone United Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Frosty » Wed Jan 24, 2024 8:48 pm

Ipswich Town v Maidstone United

FA Cup – Round 4

Saturday 27th January 2024 – 15:00

Portman Road

Pre Match Thoughts - Mike

Finally the end of the December/January period has arrived, a period many felt would define our season, on paper about as tough as it gets with Leicester twice, Leeds away, Norwich at Home, Middlesbrough & Watford away, Sunderland & Coventry City at Home, just take a look at the current league table if you don't know it already and tell me that isn't about as hard as it gets over a Two month period and yet here we are still in the second automatic promotion spot, and all this despite having the guts of the team ripped out through injury, suspension and unavailability.

As I have mentioned before if we could get to the end of that run of games and still be in contention we have a fab chance and everything to play for. the way we started the season has meant Southampton have had to go on a record breaking streak to catch us up and yet they still sit below us after a Twenty game unbeaten run, quite incredible. add to that they have without question had the kinder fixtures while we have toiled through those tough set of games, the tables will turn in that respect in the coming weeks and it is very much in our own hands as to if we can capitalise.

Monday nights deserved draw at the King Power Stadium against "champions elect" Leicester City was the proverbial game of Two halves for sure, Town just could not get going in the opening half with Leicester very much on top and dictating every aspect of the game, quite why we were so off it is anyone's guess but we looked as if we were in awe of them, scared almost and a yard off the pace in every department, thanks to Vaclav Hladky in Town's goal we went in only One behind and still very much in the contest.

Thankfully whatever Kieran Mckenna said at half time worked a treat as Town came out a different side and took the game to our hosts, a much higher and aggressive press certainly rattled them and caught them off guard, now it was Town calling the shots and creating chances although Hladky did still come to the rescue on more than One occasion in that second half.

The substitutions were inspired and changed the end result and by the time Jeremy Sarmiento rammed home the equaliser to send the Town fans into raptures we had done more than enough to secure a priceless point and with it back into second place in the table, in fact had we had another ten minutes on the clock I have little doubt we would have gone on to get the win, Leicester were visibly wilting and to a degree holding on. on the night I thought Hladky was immense and Woolfy excellent too but the introduction of Hutchinson, Broadhead & Sarmiento clearly turned the tide in our favour.

We now have players hopefully returning with Sam Morsy definitely free from his ban while Massimo was fit to start too, it shouldn't be long before Cameron Burgess returns to the fold either, add to that we are all praying for those new signings to be announced, especially Strikers as right now we basically have None, loaning out Ladapo would be seen as madness if something is not in the pipeline and hearing Mckenna speak on this after the game I am confident we are not too far away from bringing at least someone in the door. The Fixture list, on paper at least also looks less daunting and while no game is easy and every game has to be won you can't help but breathe a sigh of relief that the torrid run has for now passed.

We break off from League action this weekend as we welcome non league Maidstone FC to Portman Road for a Fourth Round FA Cup tie, nearly Five Thousand fans will be accompanying them too so the atmosphere will be superb, I do suspect we will play our second string but without being disrespectful to our opponents that should still be too strong for a non league outfit, the time off for our regulars will also be very welcome too. I can't pretend I know anything of Maidstone but I hope they thoroughly enjoy their day out, although not the result !!! town win and all eyes on the Fifth round draw. COYB'S

Maidstone United A Brief History

Maidstone United Football Club is a semi-professional football club based in Maidstone, Kent, England. The team competes in the National League South, the sixth level of the English football league system.

Maidstone United was a member of The Football League between 1989 and 1992. That club was forced out of the league following bankruptcy, but the nucleus of a new club was built around the youth squad, Maidstone Invicta, which made the step up to adult football in 1992 after being elected to the Kent County League Fourth Division in 1993 and subsequently progressed through the non-League pyramid.

They changed their name to Maidstone United in 1995. They played in the Isthmian League Premier Division from 2013, having been promoted from the Isthmian League Division One South, and won the league in the 2014–15 season to gain promotion to the National League South (formerly the Conference South) for the 2015–16 season.

Maidstone gained a second successive promotion to the National League in 2016, bringing fifth-tier football back to the town for the first time since the old club was promoted to the Football League in 1989. Maidstone were relegated in 2019, before winning the National League South title in 2022 and promotion back to the National League.

Maidstone were without a stadium of their own from their creation until 2012 when the Gallagher Stadium near Maidstone town centre opened at the start of the 2012–13 season.

The Manager – George Elokobi

Head to Head

First match between the two sides

Match Referee – Anthony Taylor

IPSWICH TOWN 2 MAIDSTONE UNITED 0

hallamblue

Re: FAC Cup (R4) - Ipswich Town vs Maidstone United Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by hallamblue » Wed Jan 24, 2024 9:36 pm

Good preview 👍 thank you….

Expecting a very much changed team , with Morsy getting a run out with Taylor, and Axel getting some more minutes, along with Walton.

I think we’ll be too strong for them even with it being an “ Ipswich 11”, and think it could be 4-1 ( yer, we still concede a goal!)

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Thu Jan 25, 2024 1:05 pm

Excellent preview, opening paragraph bang on the money, and further down; after watching the game on a cousins recording, I too reckon if there were 2 more minutes in that injury time, Ipswich would’ve scored; Leicester looked a tad desperate. Body language at the FT whistle from Leicester was also, “phew, thank god” …… it wasn’t disappointment.

Reckon it’ll be a great day out for The Stones, but they’ll get no satisfaction at Portman Road. (Its ok if you cringed at that. I cringed more)
4-0 Ipswich Town.

Caption:

Ref: “Ok George, come on. Confirm the theories. That big?”
George: “Yeah. Soft.”

TODD66
Posting Game Moderator

Post by TODD66 » Thu Jan 25, 2024 1:27 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2024 9:36 pm

Expecting a very much changed team , with Morsy getting a run out with Taylor, and Axel getting some more minutes, along with Walton.

I think we’ll be too strong for them even with it being an “ Ipswich 11”, and think it could be 4-1 ( yer, we still concede a goal!)
I can only see a big win once the team that is picked get it together.

It will only be right and proper to allow Maidstone one goal to allow their fans a moment to bask in the glory - maybe making the game 1-1 at that point - before we put them to the sword. 4 or 5 - 1 for me as I would like to see a goal fest for the boys.

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Thu Jan 25, 2024 4:30 pm

TODD66 wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2024 1:27 pm
It will only be right and proper to allow Maidstone one goal to allow their fans a moment to bask in the glory - maybe making the game 1-1 at that point - before we put them to the sword. 4 or 5 - 1 for me as I would like to see a goal fest for the boys.
We've haven't scored first since Norwich (apart from an OG)! So I think it's a given that Maidstone are allowed one in the first 20.

With a week off either side, I'm sure we'll put out a strong side to get some momentum going. We've been far from our free scoring best for some time now, so what better opportunity to get back in to the rhythm by scoring 5 or 6??

NWS

Post by NWS » Thu Jan 25, 2024 10:41 pm

We've only got one striker who's not cup-tied, injured, or sold. If Levi and Rushy were playing then we'd Coast through 3 or 4 nil. Now it'll just have to be a scrape through 1-0 8)

NWS

Post by NWS » Thu Jan 25, 2024 10:43 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2024 9:36 pm

Concede a goal to us? Lol. If you do, you should resign from the championship immediately.

In all honesty, I'd be grateful for one goal for the celebration

shabba

Post by shabba » Fri Jan 26, 2024 11:09 am

My, rotated as much as possible, Line up:

Walton

Axel (Assume JD still out?)
Wolfie
Edmudson
Humpreys (nobody else really available)

Travis (assuming Morsy is coming back, he can do last 30mins)
Taylor

Hutchinson
Harness
Sarimento

Jackson

Hopefully sub out some for younger players if winning well by 60mins.

Can't see where to fit Dom ball in, unless you move him to RB and play Axel as Cb, but Axel is more attacking as an RB than Ball, even though both aren't like Clarke for getting forward.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Jan 26, 2024 2:24 pm

That team is same as mine, should easily be good enough

Dazzz67

Post by Dazzz67 » Fri Jan 26, 2024 3:45 pm

I personally think Sarmiento will be on the bench, Chaplin will start.

This time I feel pretty confident we will see a comfortable win and a good few goals, looking forward to it.

Enjoy the atmosphere of the F.A Cup all that are going!

COYB!

Blue Wilf

Post by Blue Wilf » Fri Jan 26, 2024 4:44 pm

I think Aluko will be playing somewhere too tbh...

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Fri Jan 26, 2024 8:58 pm

Who put Maidstone to win… Has Christ fuckface Sutton managed to worm his way onto this forum? :lol:

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Fri Jan 26, 2024 9:33 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2024 8:58 pm
Who put Maidstone to win… Has Christ fuckface Sutton managed to worm his way onto this forum? :lol:
Sutton thinks he's the Big Boss......., but not THAT big!

NWS will have predicted Maidstone win.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Fri Jan 26, 2024 9:55 pm

Let’s see how good Sports Mole are any good at predicting the starting line up;

……………………,,,…Walton
Tuanzebe, Woolfenden, Ball, Humphreys
……………………, Morsy, Taylor
……..Hutchinson, Broadhead, Sarmiento
………………………….. Aluko

If they’re right, so much for my prediction of Kayden Jackson scoring the first goal.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Fri Jan 26, 2024 10:20 pm

Someone put the opposition to win maybe because we got a history of losing to lower league opposition in Cup competition. (They) Must have been in attendance at every exit event including Shrewsbury, Wrexham, Stevenage, Kettering, Lincoln City etc etc to expect a loss tomorrow but on the day all things are possible. They got nothing to lose with making the trip here.

Don't know what team we'll put out but suggest Slicker should get his chance in goal over Walton given the nature of opposition, he don't seem to get too much other opportunity. First team members need not feature, we could field McKenna, O'Leary, Ashton, Pert and make up the rest of the numbers with canteen staff and still take a result from it. Not so much disrespect to the opposition, just implying it's little other than a Town victory no matter who we select to go out and do it.

Guess we'll go 4-2-3-1 for it, some things just can't be done, but guess whatever formation they pick, is kind of immaterial towards an end result.

ITFC 4 Maidstone 0

trimleyblue
Global Moderator

Post by trimleyblue » Fri Jan 26, 2024 10:45 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2024 9:55 pm
Let’s see how good Sports Mole are any good at predicting the starting line up;

……………………,,,…Walton
Tuanzebe, Woolfenden, Ball, Humphreys
……………………, Morsy, Taylor
……..Hutchinson, Broadhead, Sarmiento
………………………….. Aluko

If they’re right, so much for my prediction of Kayden Jackson scoring the first goal.
That's pretty much what I'd have gone for with the exception of Jackson for Aluko

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Fri Jan 26, 2024 10:47 pm

arana peligrosa wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2024 10:20 pm
Someone put the opposition to win maybe because we got a history of losing to lower league opposition in Cup competition. (They) Must have been in attendance at every exit event including Shrewsbury, Wrexham, Stevenage, Kettering, Lincoln City etc etc to expect a loss tomorrow but on the day all things are possible. They got nothing to lose with making the trip here.

Don't know what team we'll put out but suggest Slicker should get his chance in goal over Walton given the nature of opposition, he don't seem to get too much other opportunity. First team members need not feature, we could field McKenna, O'Leary, Ashton, Pert and make up the rest of the numbers with canteen staff and still take a result from it. Not so much disrespect to the opposition, just implying it's little other than a Town victory no matter who we select to go out and do it.

Guess we'll go 4-2-3-1 for it, some things just can't be done, but guess whatever formation they pick, is kind of immaterial towards an end result.

ITFC 4 Maidstone 0
Kettering? When did that happen?

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Fri Jan 26, 2024 11:29 pm

marko69 wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2024 9:33 pm
hallamblue wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2024 8:58 pm
Sutton thinks he's the Big Boss......., but not THAT big!

NWS will have predicted Maidstone win.
lol blooming automated “typos”!!!

mendipblue

Post by mendipblue » Sat Jan 27, 2024 10:01 am

Team today?

Walton
Ball
Axel
Edmundson
Humphries
Taylor
Travis
Harness
Aluko
Hutchinson
Broadhead
All the big guns on the bench.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Jan 27, 2024 12:42 pm

Walton
Ball
Tuanzebe
Edmundson
Humphreys
Morsy
Taylor
Hutchinson
Aluko
Sarmiento
Broadhead

Pretty strong, Jackson not in squad

mendipblue

Post by mendipblue » Sat Jan 27, 2024 12:46 pm

mendipblue wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2024 10:01 am
Team today?

Walton
Ball
Axel
Edmundson
Humphries
Taylor
Travis
Harness
Aluko
Hutchinson
Broadhead
All the big guns on the bench.
I only got Morsy in for Travis and Samiento in for Harness wrong. :lol:

lucy

Post by lucy » Sat Jan 27, 2024 12:48 pm

We have a new Burns on the Bench. He's chopped his Hair off.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Jan 27, 2024 12:52 pm

Wonder if we've sold Jackson or injury maybe.

lucy

Post by lucy » Sat Jan 27, 2024 12:54 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2024 12:52 pm
Wonder if we've sold Jackson or injury maybe.
Or keeping him safe from Injury because he's our only Striker :lol:

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Jan 27, 2024 1:28 pm

BBC doing their best to make out Town have disrespected Maidstone by the 10 team changes McK has made !

Mind you I do wonder if we will pay for the 99% team change …. It’s an Ipswich 11 and I doubt it’ll be as fluent as it normally is. Difficult one really isn’t it …

TODD66
Posting Game Moderator

Post by TODD66 » Sat Jan 27, 2024 1:44 pm

Should be well ahead already.

Think we need a goal scorer!! :lol:

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Jan 27, 2024 1:48 pm

I wonder if anyone else in the team other than Hutchinson is going to and have a shot st goal? We should be peppering that goal with shots . It’s clear we have no striker on the pitch …

TODD66
Posting Game Moderator

Post by TODD66 » Sat Jan 27, 2024 1:50 pm

4 shots on Target so far.

50% on Target.

Going to get lucky at some point.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Jan 27, 2024 1:52 pm

Hope so 🤞

Ridiculous miss by Edmundson