FAC Cup (R4) - Ipswich Town vs Maidstone United Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Through to the 5th Round?

Ipswich Win
94%
Maidstone Win
6%
Replay
No votes

Total votes: 16

rossi

Re: FAC Cup (R4) - Ipswich Town vs Maidstone United Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by rossi » Sat Jan 27, 2024 10:38 pm

valleyroad wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2024 8:59 pm
rossi wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2024 8:25 pm
valleyroad wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2024 8:11 pm
Good sensible post instead of the usual pile on
Terrible result for the club but the key thing is reaction.
Forget it and move on. Win the next league game and use it as motivation for rest of the season
Cup football is amazing for these types of results which is why fans love it so much.
I remember 10 years or so back St Mirren losing 7-0 to Celtic at Parkhead, we beat them the following week a home in the cup 1-0 !!!!
I really cannot see the relevance of this quote to the thread, it's like comparing duck-billed platypi to elephants.

I'm too angry at this result to say much, apart from that everyone at ITFC from the CEO down to the bog cleaners should be thoroughly ashamed of what happened.
I love your vendetta against me these days, says everything about you.
Takes two to tango, though, pal. I suggest you think hard about your vendetta toward me over the last few years.

rossi

Post by rossi » Sat Jan 27, 2024 10:42 pm

Charnwood wrote:
rossi wrote:
valleyroad wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2024 8:11 pm
Good sensible post instead of the usual pile on
Terrible result for the club but the key thing is reaction.
Forget it and move on. Win the next league game and use it as motivation for rest of the season
Cup football is amazing for these types of results which is why fans love it so much.
I remember 10 years or so back St Mirren losing 7-0 to Celtic at Parkhead, we beat them the following week a home in the cup 1-0 !!!!
I really cannot see the relevance of this quote to the thread, it's like comparing duck-billed platypi to elephants.

I'm too angry at this result to say much, apart from that everyone at ITFC from the CEO down to the bog cleaners should be thoroughly ashamed of what happened.
Such a stupid post Rossi, why on earth should the bog cleaners be ashamed ? .. a bit of perspective required maybe ?
I guess living in Spain for the last few years has lessened your English sense of humour (or at least a London one).
Disappointed by your comment - I rarely agree with any opinions you have expressed on this board, but I have never referred to you as stupid, I hope I have been better bred than that

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Sat Jan 27, 2024 10:48 pm

rossi wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2024 10:42 pm
but I have never referred to you as stupid,
I mean, he said it was a stupid post, not that you were stupid, there's an important distinction to be made there.

For example, I post many stupid posts, whereas it's well and widely known that I am actually a genius, the two are not mutually exclusive.

Having said that, my bet is he doesn't see you as a genius either...

herforder

Post by herforder » Sat Jan 27, 2024 10:52 pm

Fine line between genius and madness! (Joke😎)

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Jan 27, 2024 10:55 pm

Think I’m over it now. I’ll give bbc narwich a miss for the next week as they’ll prattle in about it for about thst long ..

PNE game and the teams response : although it won’t be todays “ team” doing the responding will it. Which kinda is my point. Totally wrong team selection today. But it’s done n dusted now

COYBS : let’s move on .. x

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Jan 27, 2024 10:56 pm

I thought Charnwood was joking as he referenced the bog cleaners.
Think it was a tongue in cheek joke, Rossi.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sat Jan 27, 2024 10:56 pm

I think Spock said, a sane man in an insane world is insane

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Jan 27, 2024 10:58 pm

number 9 wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2024 10:56 pm
I think Spock said, a sane man in an insane world is insane
He also said “live long and hump maidstone”

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Jan 27, 2024 10:59 pm

rossi wrote:
Charnwood wrote:
rossi wrote:

Such a stupid post Rossi, why on earth should the bog cleaners be ashamed ? .. a bit of perspective required maybe ?
I guess living in Spain for the last few years has lessened your English sense of humour (or at least a London one).
Disappointed by your comment - I rarely agree with any opinions you have expressed on this board, but I have never referred to you as stupid, I hope I have been better bred than that

I doubt it Rossi even tho I have to admit I was born in London.

That said I don’t expect you to agree with mine or for that matter anyone else’s opinion on this board as the only opinion you ever think is right is your own.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Jan 27, 2024 11:02 pm

Andym wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2024 7:02 pm
Wow. I think there’s a bit of overreaction here. I’ll put my views here and go into hiding. I agree with Shabba’s views above.
1. We’ve made similar changes before and been fine. That team should have been good enough today so I don’t blame the manager for the team he chose.
2. In the first 15-20 minutes we were unlucky, hitting the post more than once. We could have been at least 3 up before they scored, we played them off the park. It wasn’t bad finishing, just bad luck up to that point.
3. We conceded two goals, one I think from our corner, and one when we lost possession in midfield to what looked like a blatant foul to me. The defence in both cases was all over the place, largely because we were in possession. To blame the keeper for either is, in my humble opinion, absurd.
4. After the first 20-30 minutes, Maidstone’s 10 men behind the ball defended much better. We were less effective as we wanted to walk it in, but all credit to Maidstone who defended well from that point and took their only 2 chances; we failed to do either.
5. Regarding individuals, I agree with some comments. Aluko’s performance reminded me of his first ever game for us, where he was equally poor. He’s getting on and not match fit. He has vision but I think his time as a player has come to an end. Taylor has always flattered to deceive, I’ve yet to see anything in him. Hutchinson has skill but there is rarely if ever an end product. He looked dangerous first half but kept shooting from distance; when he gets down the line there are rarely any decent crosses.
6. If I have any criticism of the starting line up, it isn’t about individuals but about square pegs in round holes. Ball and Humphries aren’t wing backs, Broadhead isn’t a striker. Those three show where we are lightest regarding cover as a squad.
7. Our finishing today wasn’t great, particularly second half. However, on another day we would have won. I think we are a team lacking confidence in front of goal despite all the shots. There were times when we kept passing instead of hitting it - a sign of that lack of confidence. All credit to Maidstone for taking their chances, but let’s keep it in perspective.
You don't blame the manager for playing an ageing and unfit Aluko ?
Or for playing players as wing backs who are not wing backs when we had Two on the bench ?
Or fir playing Broadhead as the lone striker when every man and hid dog knows Broadhead is woeful at it ? Where was Jackson or even Buabo ?
If it wasn't the managers fault who's was it ?

Andym

Post by Andym » Sat Jan 27, 2024 11:19 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2024 11:02 pm
Andym wrote:
Wow. I think there’s a bit of overreaction here. I’ll put my views here and go into hiding. I agree with Shabba’s views above.
1. We’ve made similar changes before and been fine. That team should have been good enough today so I don’t blame the manager for the team he chose.
2. In the first 15-20 minutes we were unlucky, hitting the post more than once. We could have been at least 3 up before they scored, we played them off the park. It wasn’t bad finishing, just bad luck up to that point.
3. We conceded two goals, one I think from our corner, and one when we lost possession in midfield to what looked like a blatant foul to me. The defence in both cases was all over the place, largely because we were in possession. To blame the keeper for either is, in my humble opinion, absurd.
4. After the first 20-30 minutes, Maidstone’s 10 men behind the ball defended much better. We were less effective as we wanted to walk it in, but all credit to Maidstone who defended well from that point and took their only 2 chances; we failed to do either.
5. Regarding individuals, I agree with some comments. Aluko’s performance reminded me of his first ever game for us, where he was equally poor. He’s getting on and not match fit. He has vision but I think his time as a player has come to an end. Taylor has always flattered to deceive, I’ve yet to see anything in him. Hutchinson has skill but there is rarely if ever an end product. He looked dangerous first half but kept shooting from distance; when he gets down the line there are rarely any decent crosses.
6. If I have any criticism of the starting line up, it isn’t about individuals but about square pegs in round holes. Ball and Humphries aren’t wing backs, Broadhead isn’t a striker. Those three show where we are lightest regarding cover as a squad.
7. Our finishing today wasn’t great, particularly second half. However, on another day we would have won. I think we are a team lacking confidence in front of goal despite all the shots. There were times when we kept passing instead of hitting it - a sign of that lack of confidence. All credit to Maidstone for taking their chances, but let’s keep it in perspective.
Or for playing players as wing backs who are not wing backs when we had Two on the bench ?
Or fir playing Broadhead as the lone striker when every man and hid dog knows Broadhead is woeful at it ? Where was Jackson or even Buabo ?
We outplayed them for the whole of the first half if not the second. It was a smash and grab. It happens. He could have fielded the entire first team with the same result. He brought on our usual full backs at 1-1 and we still lost. sh*t happens. Get over it.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sat Jan 27, 2024 11:21 pm

Well we’re not perfect, are we? We can now add to the infamous trophy cabinet of Fulham 10-1, Man Utd 9-0, and now Maidstone 2-1. But we also have a legacy of being unbeaten in Europe at home, beating Arsenal the favorites in the FA Cup in 1978, and frankly being the best team on the continent in the early 1980s. So today we take a deep breath. We’re still climbing back to the summit where the air is thin. Today is yesterday, tomorrow is another step towards being great again. I’m not gonna let this loss define us. We’ll be back, fed and rested for another day…to climb to the heights of what is and always will be, Ipswich Town FC! COYB!!!!!!!!!!

valleyroad

Post by valleyroad » Sat Jan 27, 2024 11:28 pm

rossi wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2024 10:38 pm
valleyroad wrote:
rossi wrote:

I love your vendetta against me these days, says everything about you.
Takes two to tango, though, pal. I suggest you think hard about your vendetta toward me over the last few years.
Vendetta 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
I wouldn't waste my time
Last edited by valleyroad on Sat Jan 27, 2024 11:39 pm, edited 3 times in total.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Jan 27, 2024 11:30 pm

number 9 wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2024 11:21 pm
We’re still climbing back to the summit where the air is thin. Today is yesterday, tomorrow is another step towards being great again. I’m not gonna let this loss define us. We’ll be back, fed and rested for another day…to climb to the heights………
Ohhhh Kaaaay, 9 …… put the Star Trek boxsets away now!

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Jan 27, 2024 11:33 pm

Andym wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2024 11:19 pm
Bluemike wrote:
Andym wrote:
We outplayed them for the whole of the first half if not the second. It was a smash and grab. It happens. He could have fielded the entire first team with the same result. He brought on our usual full backs at 1-1 and we still lost. sh*t happens. Get over it.
But it's OK to play players that are not match fit ? Sorry but I think KM had a mare today.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sat Jan 27, 2024 11:33 pm

marko69 wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2024 11:30 pm
number 9 wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2024 11:21 pm
We’re still climbing back to the summit where the air is thin. Today is yesterday, tomorrow is another step towards being great again. I’m not gonna let this loss define us. We’ll be back, fed and rested for another day…to climb to the heights………
Ohhhh Kaaaay, 9 …… put the Star Trek boxsets away now!
Lol! I think it’s time to have dinner. Just trying really hard to be positive

Andym

Post by Andym » Sat Jan 27, 2024 11:41 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2024 11:33 pm
Andym wrote:
Bluemike wrote:

But it's OK to play players that are not match fit ? Sorry but I think KM had a mare today.
Maybe but how do you get players match fit without giving them matches to play? Today was an ideal opportunity to do that. That team should have been good enough to win. But with several efforts hitting the post and two well taken goals after we lost possession and the central defenders got caught out of position, we lost.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Jan 27, 2024 11:56 pm

I think had McKeena played a full strength first team as we know it we’d have all thought he was mad, and had one or more players picked up an injury like George Hirst’s and been out for the rest of the season he’d have been crucified on here and elsewhere.

The stats more than suggest we should have comfortably hammered Maidstone this afternoon but quite simply it didn’t happen and as we all know sh*t happens sometimes.

If we were mid table in the Championship with little to play for I’d be more unhappy than I am tonight, but with everything to play for and already struggling with a shortage of players in a couple of key positions I’m ok with no further involvement in the FA Cup.

MasseyFerguson

Post by MasseyFerguson » Sun Jan 28, 2024 12:46 am

Ricco wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2024 10:48 pm
rossi wrote:
but I have never referred to you as stupid,
I mean, he said it was a stupid post, not that you were stupid, there's an important distinction to be made there.

For example, I post many stupid posts, whereas it's well and widely known that I am actually a genius, the two are not mutually exclusive.

Having said that, my bet is he doesn't see you as a genius either...
Correct.

MasseyFerguson

Post by MasseyFerguson » Sun Jan 28, 2024 12:47 am

Charnwood wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2024 11:56 pm
I think had McKeena played a full strength first team as we know it we’d have all thought he was mad, and had one or more players picked up an injury like George Hirst’s and been out for the rest of the season he’d have been crucified on here and elsewhere.

The stats more than suggest we should have comfortably hammered Maidstone this afternoon but quite simply it didn’t happen and as we all know sh*t happens sometimes.

If we were mid table in the Championship with little to play for I’d be more unhappy than I am tonight, but with everything to play for and already struggling with a shortage of players in a couple of key positions I’m ok with no further involvement in the FA Cup.
Agreed

QldBlue

Post by QldBlue » Sun Jan 28, 2024 12:47 am

Charnwood wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2024 9:24 pm
However having just watched all 98 mins in full knowledge of the final outcome it wasn’t as bad as I expected as I thought we were actually very unlucky not to have won by a comfortable margin.
Yes we could criticise McKenna for making too many changes but surely given the opposition play in the 6th tier of English football why shouldn’t he reasonably expect any team from his 25 man squad to be good enough to secure a win, after all any of this team could be called on at any time to compete at Championship level.
If you look at the stats the players today absolutely battered Maidstone and normally 78% possession, 38 shots 13 on target and 11 corners would comfortably have beat 24% possession, 2 shots, 2 on target and 0 corners. That guys was nothing more than a freak result which may well turn out to be a blessing in disguise. Nobody got injured, no replay is necessary and the biggest loss was the £225k prize money and a dent to our pride. Had we won the match the chances are we’d get knocked out in the next round and have one of two more additional games to navigate our way through.
Yes I’m pissed off we’ve lost, but hey guys we’ve got far more important games ahead of us and hopefully today’s fiasco will soo be forgotten.
Completely agree with this sentiment. FA Cup history is littered with upsets and now we’re part of that history. Big deal. I’m not going to ignore the last two week’s performances, what we’ve accomplished over 18 months and start condemning the team. Rightly or wrongly I look at those game stats, call this a freak result and get right back behind the team I support.

MasseyFerguson

Post by MasseyFerguson » Sun Jan 28, 2024 12:48 am

Andym wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2024 11:41 pm
Bluemike wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2024 11:33 pm
Andym wrote:

Maybe but how do you get players match fit without giving them matches to play? Today was an ideal opportunity to do that. That team should have been good enough to win. But with several efforts hitting the post and two well taken goals after we lost possession and the central defenders got caught out of position, we lost.
As usual, Andy, a sensible post.

QldBlue

Post by QldBlue » Sun Jan 28, 2024 12:49 am

Bluemike wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2024 9:41 pm
I blame Ladapo, oh wait
:lol: :lol:

MasseyFerguson

Post by MasseyFerguson » Sun Jan 28, 2024 12:51 am

shabba wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2024 7:01 pm
Jeez - I saw this very differently (was at the game), it was simply one of this days where everything went right for them and nothing for us. 2 attempts 2 goals vs 38.

Yes we needed to be more clinical but I will absolutely not slate a single one of the players today. The effort was there, we kept going, kept creating, the effort was there and that is all you can ask.

It makes me angry when many on here and calling it ‘dross’
And embarrassing, as if we didn’t turn up. Play that game again 100 times with the same performance level and we’d win 98.

Honestly I’d rather go out having given it a real go and been unlucky than not having turned up, I really don’t think there was any lack of effort.

Calling out players who have done well as being useless it’s way too harsh, it’s a very difficult thing to break down a side so deep and naturally leaves us a little open, it’s the beauty of football today and good for those Maidstone fans to have their day in the sun, they sung their hearts out.

People are getting a bit entitled IMO, this club is light years ahead of where we were a few years ago, and this was purely a very unlucky result - nothing more.
Thank you for a measured, sensible, post

BLUEBLOOD

Post by BLUEBLOOD » Sun Jan 28, 2024 1:28 am

FOOTBALL IT’s a funny old game .
Like a rollercoaster ride 1 min at the top enjoying the view then down the bottom like our result yesterday.
Let’s climb back on the ride and get back to the TOP, the Premier League.
Let’s not spoil the fun of the forum ..After all we support ITFC . Draw a line under yesterdays game and ALL move on .

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Jan 28, 2024 1:50 am

MasseyFerguson wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2024 12:51 am
shabba wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2024 7:01 pm
Jeez - I saw this very differently (was at the game), it was simply one of this days where everything went right for them and nothing for us. 2 attempts 2 goals vs 38.

Yes we needed to be more clinical but I will absolutely not slate a single one of the players today. The effort was there, we kept going, kept creating, the effort was there and that is all you can ask.

It makes me angry when many on here and calling it ‘dross’
And embarrassing, as if we didn’t turn up. Play that game again 100 times with the same performance level and we’d win 98.

Honestly I’d rather go out having given it a real go and been unlucky than not having turned up, I really don’t think there was any lack of effort.

Calling out players who have done well as being useless it’s way too harsh, it’s a very difficult thing to break down a side so deep and naturally leaves us a little open, it’s the beauty of football today and good for those Maidstone fans to have their day in the sun, they sung their hearts out.

People are getting a bit entitled IMO, this club is light years ahead of where we were a few years ago, and this was purely a very unlucky result - nothing more.
Thank you for a measured, sensible, post
I measured it as well, Mass…….. waaaaay longer than your 4 posts! :lol:

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Sun Jan 28, 2024 2:59 am

It's tough to say a bad word against McKenna however some of his game decisions border on belligerent. Seems we played the usual 4-2-3-1 and right off the bat you got to question why deploy such a tactic against some opposition team 6, 7 Leagues below you and with a home advantage. They put two or three in attack to start with and took away a victory. Guess there's a certain logic in it somewhere.

Saw some considerable mention that we didn't field that strong a team for it. Sure there were maybe first choice names out but when you read we featured players including Walton, Broadhead, Aluko, Humphreys and Morsy for example and failed to win, it's kind of bizarre. Expected to read following the defeat we fielded absolute reserves, exercise boys and some squirrels from Christchurch Park, that would explain the debacle but no, seems we played a strong squad and somehow managed to lose. There were an incident where some fan fell from the roof and got injured also ?Some things just can't be rationalized.

Can't dwell on the defeat. It's unfortunate and it's embarrassing, but not the first time we've suffered to lower league opponents, sure as hell won't be the last. Thing is they were so far behind in the league structure and the two teams are so distanced between divisions, it just appears more catastrophic then previous losses in past seasons. Lincoln City got a recent win but we were sh*t at the time and still pinned under by Evans and whoever was manager for it back then. (McCarthy if correct). This time it were different, and it should have worked for us.

Reading contrasting reports at times in that either we were really poor and they deserved it, or we created loads of opportunity, battered them but just couldn't score. It's such a frustrating score and exit, won't get this time back but what the hell, maybe won't get another chance after so many years following the team to reply and comment on such a standout setback or score such as this involving our team / club name.

Blue Wilf

Post by Blue Wilf » Sun Jan 28, 2024 8:51 am

Well the day after, I still feel a bit peeved about it - more so because of the undoubted stick we will get from away fans/rivals for the next few weeks which is a stupid sentiment but still real. Having read the posts and considered it again, I still feel a bit numb as I did when I left the ground as to how that actually happened. I said to my daughter half way through the first half that the goal at Sir Alf end seemed to have a charmed life for them and so it proved!

I actually agree with bits of everyones comments re - was it poor selection, did we play well or badly, was it the ref, was it lucky and fact is some of them all are true but fact is, we cannot do anything about it now (sadly). It was indeed a freak result, they happen - I just wish they didn't happen to us! 😂

Fact is - we really should have beaten them - but didn't...

I still feel that we created out own problem with the atmosphere by splitting up our vocal support. We are just not 'nasty' enough in these situations - on and off the pitch!

I will go to Preston with head held high and ready to cheer the team on. 3 points there is now all that matters. COYB's!!

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Jan 28, 2024 8:59 am

Like you Wilf I am analysing it again after a sleep and I guess I have mixed emotions too. I think the team selected was every bit strong enough to have won it, thinking back it should have been 3-0 inside 10 minutes, they got lucky. Numerous chances came and went but it was one of those days, maybe McKenna didn't get as much wrong as I first thought.

If however any good is to come from this we must learn from it, by that I mean players like Aluko need removing from the squad, just offers zilch, Humphreys probably needs a season away, Walton not the player some think he is, Two Maidstone shots and both went in !!! Tuanzebe not good enough, he's here for a reason, no other bugger wants him !! Broadhead is not and never will be a striker and Taylor? Well wtf he offers god only knows.

Learn from it, act on it and I can let yesterday go, I'm more jarred about the striker issue, that I'm struggling with but bored of it now.

Cabanas Blue

Post by Cabanas Blue » Sun Jan 28, 2024 9:06 am

Let's face it whatever team we put out yesterday they should have been able to beat Maidstone but it's the cup and we didn't, but for the woodwork the game would have been over in less than 15 minutes but again that's football.
Yesterday is history how we react next week is very important a new forward or two three points and we can put yesterday's result to bed COYB.