another gray day at the granite city

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

arana peligrosa

another gray day at the granite city

Post by arana peligrosa » Wed Jan 31, 2024 3:48 pm

Not one for new thread subjects but Scots "football" carries a certain passion and saw news that Aberdeen have fired another team coach, this time Barry Robson who only took position last spring. Third casualty in as many years, they just can't seem to settle on any one name.

The directors at Pittodrie viewed '8th position in the EPL' as not good enough / unacceptable and kind of lost patience but not sure what they can feasibly expect from a season there any longer. They're not going to win no league, runners-up position is viable but unlikely so essentially they're looking to land third place as probable best finish but other teams there have now overtaken them with better structure to succeed.

McInnes was arguably the best of recent time, could never emulate names before him but for a time brought pride and a sense of accomplishment to the city. Other than that not since Miller or Alex Smith have they proved a credible threat or able to really challenge since Ferguson vacated in '86. It's a shame for a club name that older members can recall as arguably one of the best (and) more competitive sides not only in Scotland but the UK as a whole.

As it is they're now without another manager, some 30 points adrift of even the top two positions and European adventure once again looking distant. I'd like to see them back again towards previous stature but truth is times have changed and unfortunately they're one of the (many) once illustrious names of the domestic game that has fallen away and won't be back any time soon.

marko69
Global Moderator

Re: another gray day at the granite city

Post by marko69 » Wed Jan 31, 2024 5:21 pm

Yep, bad move by The Dons in many peoples eyes. They are not in any danger of relegation so it makes no sense. He needed more time.

On your wording though, Saint......, Aberdeen are very much in the same category as Ipswich Town in some ways with regards to history. Correct me if I am wrong but the much younger Ipswich generation want the "oldies" to can-it about "those days".
You say "illustrious" re Aberdeen. Hmmm. Apart from THAT very 7 years between 79 & 86 ---- >> they've done not a great deal.
Like Ipswich 70s, early 80s and 1961/62 ....., bugger all else :lol:

They'll need a miracle ----->>> to finish 3rd. (Thats Aberdeen Im talking about, not Ipswich ---->> They're finishing second!)

herforder

Post by herforder » Wed Jan 31, 2024 5:51 pm

I certainly qualify as ‘oldie’, and was fortunate to witness the golden years etc. But have long since twigged that the past is nice to visit occasionally - but not to live permanently!😄

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Thu Feb 01, 2024 3:28 am

marko69 wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2024 5:21 pm
Yep, bad move by The Dons in many peoples eyes. They are not in any danger of relegation so it makes no sense. He needed more time.

On your wording though, Saint......, Aberdeen are very much in the same category as Ipswich Town in some ways with regards to history. Correct me if I am wrong but the much younger Ipswich generation want the "oldies" to can-it about "those days".
You say "illustrious" re Aberdeen. Hmmm. Apart from THAT very 7 years between 79 & 86 ---- >> they've done not a great deal.
Like Ipswich 70s, early 80s and 1961/62 ....., bugger all else :lol:

They'll need a miracle ----->>> to finish 3rd. (Thats Aberdeen Im talking about, not Ipswich ---->> They're finishing second!)
It took until 1979 for Dundee United to achieve a first trophy, take a wild guess who they beat to win it. Together they broke up the monopoly of both Glasgow club names but it didn't last long. By 1983 they were the top two teams in the country for sure. It were short lived but neutrals will confirm it were a fine time to be involved in.

Yes you may be on to something about the say younger generation not wanting to learn of past glories older fans can recall or got knowledge of but I call that little short of ignorance if nothing else. Huddersfield were great and the best in the land at one time or another, I don't remember it or recall such instances but doesn't hurt to show a level of respect all the same. Think kids today just don't take the time to indulge (in) or appreciate what was.

Just for the record, There were a team called Third Lanark years back that only a select few could care to remember. For the ignorant or uneducated they hit a high note for a time, became something of a national treasure or celebrity but unfortunately were slowly torn apart and soon came to be non-existent. It were a real shame and regrettable but people directly outside of the once team itself, wherever you find them' either won't realize of the circumstances involved or show such apathy or ignorance it won't see the light of day anywhere other than what's mentioned on these pages. And that's it.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Thu Feb 01, 2024 7:52 am

I suppose it is ignorance on the part of the younger generation. I used to LOVE my grandpas stories of the famous five and Hibernian being first British team in Europe etc etc. Always entertaining. Think the younger generation nowadays with their social media platforms Roll their eyes at “stories”. Mainly because time doesn’t allow to listen.

I homed in on illustrious. Glasgow Celtic were & still are, illustrious!
Aberdeen? 🤔 hmmmmm?? :lol:

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Feb 01, 2024 9:04 am

I did a lot of reading up on the Third Lanark story, so sad how they we allowed to go to the wall, bloody smacks of corruption. Google Cathkin park and the old pictures of the ground are quite moving, the remains set in woodland and still some of the old crash barriers from the terracing remain among the trees, so many memories of yesteryear.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Thu Feb 01, 2024 9:12 am

“Whats the saying? Third time lucky? Well Lanark made an arse of that!”

Not my words……. Scottish football comedian from the 80s.

Dazzz67

Post by Dazzz67 » Fri Feb 02, 2024 8:44 am

When I first read your post title Marko though it said 'another gay day in the granite city'

Ooh, shut that door!

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Fri Feb 02, 2024 10:25 am

This is concerning dazzza :lol: Not only are you seeing the word “gay”, but its Saints thread! I’d actually start a thread about the struggles of the LGBT community way before an Aberdeen thread ! 🤔 :lol:

Dazzz67

Post by Dazzz67 » Fri Feb 02, 2024 11:19 am

Sorry Marko lol, its all these mandatory training courses I have to do for work, its starting to fry my brain lol.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Feb 03, 2024 1:36 pm

Just listening to the radio prior to the Aberdeen Celtic game. Can't help but get irritated with the general wording of possible managers and interim managers etc etc after a sacking.
Current interim boss Peter Levin on being asked what his priority is after the Barry Robson sacking:
"Well, first & foremost, I need to go in there and pick those players up........"

Well, first & foremost, STOP right there, Peter. Fk them. Tell them they ain't getting paid at the end of the month if they DON'T pick their own arses up.

It'd be like going to a one day boiler swap job at 3pm and finding the employee hasn't got the boiler out its box yet. :evil: Start making these players accountable for SOME of the problems FFS. Not even going to apologise for this rant. Annoying.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Sat Feb 03, 2024 4:22 pm

AFC seems really gave them a game particularly second period. A Dons win over either of the Old Firm these days is as rare as confirmed sightings of Shergar but actually came close to taking a win from it. Miovski is easily one of the stars of their squad, scores goals regular and seems destined for a bigger club set-up, but it takes more than one individual to make a team work.

It's a shame maybe, with the right team coach and holding on to their most valuable team assets they could feasibly make a break for third position or (once again) challenge the elite of the division but today they only seemed to play well sporadically or chose one half in which to do so. It's always a tough trip there but fact of the matter being they're just simply not the force or challenge from years or time before. Hard earned point in the end for the teams involved.