Championship - Preston North End vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

New Strikers to make a difference?

Preston Win
12%
Ipswich Win
82%
Draw
6%

Total votes: 17

WarsawBlue

Re: Championship - Preston North End vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by WarsawBlue » Sun Feb 04, 2024 12:30 am

CHRISTIAN WALTON IN? The goalkeeper is the defence's rear general. My Czech neighbour has been pretty brilliant so far, but maybe now is the moment to give Christian Walton another chance to control that area - as he did so well last season.

Blue Wilf

Post by Blue Wilf » Sun Feb 04, 2024 12:50 am

Was there today. My view is that Moore should have started. So he has not trained with them etc etc. Jackson has not been good enough for 4 years (he needs to go - end of discussion) - that was not going to change today (and so it proved). Moore is a real handful - a huge unit who is athletic and wins everything in the air. Regardless of training time etc, he should have played from the off as a pro with prem experience should be able to cope and when he came on, he did! Edmundson has been better for a few weeks but the old issues raised themselves today - he always has a mistake in him. He may have played offside for the second goal but you cannot guarantee it is given and he made the wrong choice! Hallam has berated our defence for months and it proved the case today.

Preston were not good at all but they did not have to work to beat us because we beat ourselves. They won't make top 6. We conspired to beat ourselves in the first 7 minutes - fact. We played keepy uppy instead of our ground passing and paid the price. They cut through us in exactly the same way Maidstone did - it was like we have learned nothing!

Burns was woeful, Morsy and Davis were a patch of their usual selves, Luongo was poor by his standards and Hladky also had a poor one with the ball at his feet. Chaplin flattered to deceive. All in all, very poor BUT... it is so recoverable for next week. Play to our strengths and use Moores power and we can get this back but make no mistake, next sat will be tough and will define our season in my opinion. We MUST win it or automatic is as good as gone - still loads to play for but we need to get a grip!

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Feb 04, 2024 9:55 am

number 9 wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2024 12:07 am
Well I don’t know about anyone else, but if Keiffer Moore started and we still lost, I would have accepted the loss because I’d know KM put out the strongest team.
Exactly

rossi

Post by rossi » Sun Feb 04, 2024 10:01 am

Thinking about it overnight, one league win in 8 games suggests to me that we're not merely having a blip but maybe sliding down to where we realistically are. I think we all got carried away with the results and position we were in up to Christmas - and I agree with Mike when he says that we massively over-achieved.

It would be a great shame now if we do not at least finish in the play-offs, but given how Leeds and Southampton have overhauled us it's no longer a given in my book.

Yes, we have a good manager - the best we have had in years - but at the moment I think his inexperience is costing us big time. I know his coaching background was with Premier League teams, and therein lies the problem - he's trying to get us to play Premier League style football with Championship/League 1 players, and the truth is that we're slow and ponderous in moving the ball upfield.

My other gripe with him is he is so one-dimensional - there are times when it is neded to play other than 4-2-3-1, but he doesn't seem to have any other formation and tactic in his locker. The main reason for our fall in form is, I think, down to other clubs having sussed us out, and our inability to mix things up a bit.

mendipblue

Post by mendipblue » Sun Feb 04, 2024 10:22 am

WarsawBlue wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2024 12:30 am
CHRISTIAN WALTON IN? The goalkeeper is the defence's rear general. My Czech neighbour has been pretty brilliant so far, but maybe now is the moment to give Christian Walton another chance to control that area - as he did so well last season.
Hladky has been suspect recently he also never comes for a cross. Walton does come for a cross but I'm not sure. Last week against Maidstone I thought he made it easier for them to score with his positioning.

Mauswara

Post by Mauswara » Sun Feb 04, 2024 10:54 am

mendipblue wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2024 10:22 am
WarsawBlue wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2024 12:30 am
Hladky has been suspect recently he also never comes for a cross. Walton does come for a cross but I'm not sure. Last week against Maidstone I thought he made it easier for them to score with his positioning.
That run of clean sheets Walton kept last season would come in handy now.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sun Feb 04, 2024 10:54 am

rossi wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2024 10:01 am
Thinking about it overnight, one league win in 8 games suggests to me that we're not merely having a blip but maybe sliding down to where we realistically are. I think we all got carried away with the results and position we were in up to Christmas - and I agree with Mike when he says that we massively over-achieved.

It would be a great shame now if we do not at least finish in the play-offs, but given how Leeds and Southampton have overhauled us it's no longer a given in my book.

Yes, we have a good manager - the best we have had in years - but at the moment I think his inexperience is costing us big time. I know his coaching background was with Premier League teams, and therein lies the problem - he's trying to get us to play Premier League style football with Championship/League 1 players, and the truth is that we're slow and ponderous in moving the ball upfield.

My other gripe with him is he is so one-dimensional - there are times when it is neded to play other than 4-2-3-1, but he doesn't seem to have any other formation and tactic in his locker. The main reason for our fall in form is, I think, down to other clubs having sussed us out, and our inability to mix things up a bit.
I would say that about sums it up Gary.

It’s not disloyal to say these things either. If we never stop, and reflect , we never learn and never change and thereby keep making the same mistakes.

McKenna MUST ADAPT / CHANGE .

herforder

Post by herforder » Sun Feb 04, 2024 11:16 am

rossi wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2024 10:01 am

Agree fully. Sticking, dogmatically, to a single philosophy can be justified if players are able to apply it effectively/consistently when opposition teams counter with a high press, win the ball back and attack with width and pace. Recently, however, we have found it increasingly difficult to impose our game on opponents, leading to a drop in individuals’ confidence, decision making and, subsequently, poor performances. Yesterday’s first half highlighted all of those issues. However the antidote was found in the second half change of personnel and, critically, more direct approach. Hopefully KM has recognised that a more flexible philosophy is sometimes necessary, based upon the talent we have, and be brave enough to embrace it.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Feb 04, 2024 11:46 am

Those who question Hladky are totally nuts in my book, we would be mid table at best with Walton in goal to this point playing the way we play.

Steve

Post by Steve » Sun Feb 04, 2024 12:50 pm

Nobody or at least i'm not questioning anybody rights to question, for me that's healthy and what a forum is for. That is part of football, all can question, ask and have opinions. That is totally how it should be, but it doesn't mean anybody is right or wrong with their own opinions. All I'm saying is I can see why The manager choose to not start Moore from the start. Kieran would only be right if Ipswich had won. If he started with Moore and Town lost it would be "Why start with Moore?". Bit like the devil if he does or the devil if he doesn't. In hindsight would expect Moore would of started though

We all know next week who he starts with if all are fit

rossi

Post by rossi » Sun Feb 04, 2024 12:53 pm

Steve wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2024 12:50 pm
Nobody or at least i'm not questioning anybody rights to question, for me that's healthy and what a forum is for. That is part of football, all can question, ask and have opinions. That is totally how it should be, but it doesn't mean anybody is right or wrong with their own opinions. All I'm saying is I can see why The manager choose to not start Moore from the start. Kieran would only be right if Ipswich had won. If he started with Moore and Town lost it would be "Why start with Moore?". Bit like the devil if he does or the devil if he doesn't. In hindsight would expect Moore would of started though

lol - I'm not sure I do know anymore. Let's wait and see.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sun Feb 04, 2024 1:14 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2024 12:19 am
Well I did answer your post re defence Andy but then had a phone call half way through it before hitting submit. I hit submit after the call and the bloody post didn’t go . I’m not repeating it all again now lol !!

I’ve not had any issue with Moore not starting . Why would McKenna start a player who’s not even trained with the squad . My beef is with our average defenders costing us. Regardless of whether decision is given or not, our CB’s are slow, make poor decisions, ball watch , can’t defend the ball when it’s out into our box and are too slow to counter any mistakes made. It’s been like it for 2-3 seasons.
Well Liz it looks like we’re almost on the same page because defence is definitely where our problems are most prevalent. Mostly their inadequacies have been camouflaged by the fact we were scoring so many goals and Hladkys brilliance behind them which gave us some clean sheets we otherwise wouldn’t have got. Furthermore it’s not just defending because they’re also the weak link playing out of defence McKenna style, and far too often it’s either Woolfie or Edmundson who give the ball away, unfortunately so does Burgess but less often. I’m not sure what the answer is but I think Burgess has to be in with anr alongside him. I thought a fit Tuanzabe might be first choice but he never seems fit enough to have an extended run so I guess we’ll never find out. It really is a conundrum that I was hoping would be sorted out in the January window but clearly we had other priorities.
To be honest Liz if Keiffer Moore and Alhamadi are as good as I think they’ll be for us the defensive problems may well continue to be camouflaged. I don’t think there’s any doubt that Keiffer Moore will be leading the attack every game he’s fit for and Alhamadi will get game time too probably from coming off the bench.
Preston yesterday is now just another game we have to put behind us as we can’t change the past. I’m sure McKenna saw more than enough in 45 mins to know which players he thinks best to start with Moore and next Saturday we’ll all know what that looks like.
Next Saturday we have WBA at Portman Road and whilst their league position looks good they don’t travel well and have just 4 wins and 15 points on the road. If we struggle to win this game we really will know we’ve hit a wall.

Steve

Post by Steve » Sun Feb 04, 2024 1:24 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2024 1:14 pm
hallamblue wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2024 12:19 am
Well I did answer your post re defence Andy but then had a phone call half way through it before hitting submit. I hit submit after the call and the bloody post didn’t go . I’m not repeating it all again now lol !!

I’ve not had any issue with Moore not starting . Why would McKenna start a player who’s not even trained with the squad . My beef is with our average defenders costing us. Regardless of whether decision is given or not, our CB’s are slow, make poor decisions, ball watch , can’t defend the ball when it’s out into our box and are too slow to counter any mistakes made. It’s been like it for 2-3 seasons.
Well Liz it looks like we’re almost on the same page because defence is definitely where our problems are most prevalent. Mostly their inadequacies have been camouflaged by the fact we were scoring so many goals and Hladkys brilliance behind them which gave us some clean sheets we otherwise wouldn’t have got. Furthermore it’s not just defending because they’re also the weak link playing out of defence McKenna style, and far too often it’s either Woolfie or Edmundson who give the ball away, unfortunately so does Burgess but less often. I’m not sure what the answer is but I think Burgess has to be in with anr alongside him. I thought a fit Tuanzabe might be first choice but he never seems fit enough to have an extended run so I guess we’ll never find out. It really is a conundrum that I was hoping would be sorted out in the January window but clearly we had other priorities.
To be honest Liz if Keiffer Moore and Alhamadi are as good as I think they’ll be for us the defensive problems may well continue to be camouflaged. I don’t think there’s any doubt that Keiffer Moore will be leading the attack every game he’s fit for and Alhamadi will get game time too probably from coming off the bench.
Preston yesterday is now just another game we have to put behind us as we can’t change the past. I’m sure McKenna saw more than enough in 45 mins to know which players he thinks best to start with Moore and next Saturday we’ll all know what that looks like.
Next Saturday we have WBA at Portman Road and whilst their league position looks good they don’t travel well and have just 4 wins and 15 points on the road. If we struggle to win this game we really will know we’ve hit a wall.

Totally agree with everything you said there Andy

We got to move on from yesterday's result and yes our weakest link been defending for some time now

mendipblue

Post by mendipblue » Sun Feb 04, 2024 1:32 pm

It doesn't matter what 11 KMck starts with, when in the last two games we have been beaten by the officiais as much anything the opposition does, FACT!!

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Feb 04, 2024 1:37 pm

Steve wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2024 12:50 pm

Spot on

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sun Feb 04, 2024 1:42 pm

I personally feel we need to change to CB pairing. I would have Burgess / Axel and give Axel a run of games to get up to speed. He can certainly bring the ball out and is often more direct in his running with the ball. He’s just not had a chance to settle.

We must change the pace of our build up play. I wouldn’t change the keeper, as I think the recent CB pairing is so weak and demonstrates persistent poor decision making which has always left Hldaky under pressure (often on his goal line). It’s ridiculous the levels of self destruct decisions being made coming out of defence.

PNE completely shut down Morsy and prevented that route out of defence: so why didn’t we adapt?? If we do the occasional longer ball out it forces the opposition to adjust. But we don’t.

The current CB pairing has been forced due to Burgess being away. Edmundson is weak and always makes an error … Woolfie is pedestrian and rarely makes a clean challenge and can’t header the ball for toffees.

Ultimately it’ll be our goals against that will prevent automatic promotion I feel. Moore and Hamada will provide us with different attacking options but Moore will be the most influential and if McKenna is prepared to adapt his attacking approach to utilise Moore’s undoubted threat in the box we might have a chance. But whatever division we are in next season we must sort this centre back personal out because they’re not good enough.

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Sun Feb 04, 2024 2:07 pm

I agree with that exactly Hallam. I think Axel is likely better than Woolfie with a run of games and Burgess is better than Edmundson. I'm still not 100% on Clarke, but we have little option now unless Williams is back firing on all cylinders.

So much is reliant on Morsy, he got fouled for their first and they relied on him being available that led to the second. That is Luongo's responsibility to drop and help, but also the 'wingers' on occasion. Just mix it up, the more diversity we have the less the opposition can plan for it!

And get Moore on earlier. 2 goals in the first 10 mins changes the game. I like Jackson in an open game, but not against a team 2 up and sat back, then you need height and we had that wasting on the bench.

herforder

Post by herforder » Sun Feb 04, 2024 5:38 pm

Whoever plays, as a team we need to start games with high energy, controlled aggression and a firm intent to impose our game. Yesterday, and in other games recently, we’ve been ‘milky’ for the first 20-25 minutes - often conceding during those periods, and then playing catch up. It was a goal too far, yesterday.

KM would not set the team up to start that way. Whether playing out from the back or going longer - now a real option - it’s ultimately the players who need to do their jobs and switch on from the first whistle. Over the season we have set ourselves a high bar; yesterday’s first half was abysmal - officials’ inadequacies acknowledged. Then flick the switch, and produce a chalk and cheese second half display. KM’s challenge will be to even out our erratic performances and get us back to the consistency shown early doors.

Just another pov!😄

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sun Feb 04, 2024 6:13 pm

Ricco wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2024 2:07 pm
I agree with that exactly Hallam. I think Axel is likely better than Woolfie with a run of games and Burgess is better than Edmundson. I'm still not 100% on Clarke, but we have little option now unless Williams is back firing on all cylinders.

So much is reliant on Morsy, he got fouled for their first and they relied on him being available that led to the second. That is Luongo's responsibility to drop and help, but also the 'wingers' on occasion. Just mix it up, the more diversity we have the less the opposition can plan for it!

And get Moore on earlier. 2 goals in the first 10 mins changes the game. I like Jackson in an open game, but not against a team 2 up and sat back, then you need height and we had that wasting on the bench.

I’m not sure about getting Moore on early, I’m assuming from next Saturday onwards if he’s fit he’s the first name on the team sheet, even ahead of Sam Morsy.

goldandblack

Post by goldandblack » Sun Feb 04, 2024 7:00 pm

Looking in from the outside (behind that tree) I think the only thing you've lost is Confidence, still got a great manager and great a squad, nothing has changed just a current lack of Confidence,

Anyway I believe it would do you no harm having another season in the Championship. the gap between the two leagues is massive,
Keep the belief, its far to early to start the bickering COYB.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sun Feb 04, 2024 9:12 pm

You’re probably not wrong re second season in CC tbh John… we need to consolidate a little .

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sun Feb 04, 2024 9:26 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2024 9:12 pm
You’re probably not wrong re second season in CC tbh John… we need to consolidate a little .
Yeah I’m beginning to think we need another season in the Championship to build a squad that can compete and add when and if we get promoted. I said months ago we concede too many goals when many thought I was just being meticulous. I even got ridiculed for posting stats of other teams around us. I don’t think I’m right about everything, but just like you Hallam I’ve questioned our defensive issues. If we’re regularly allowing championship teams to score multiple goals, imagine what it could be like in the Prem.

herforder

Post by herforder » Sun Feb 04, 2024 10:41 pm

Results and performances have undeniably dipped - probably starting with the Norwich game - below the standards we set in the first half of the season. Expectations were raised at the possibility of automatic promotion; then disappointment/frustration when reality kicked in. We had probably over-achieved, and passage of time started to expose our weaknesses, balanced against our strengths. But we should keep our perspective relative to what has been achieved, and where we currently sit. A play-off place remains highly achievable - bolstered by KM’s recent additions. Results and performances can just as quickly be turned around; a win on Saturday, against a useful West Brom side, could start that run, whilst injecting confidence - which, despite all the denials, was undoubtedly affected by the Maidstone defeat. Whatever we achieve, it will be with the squad we now have - overly criticising individuals within it probably won’t improve them much!

As for PL promotion - I get the thought that it might be better to consolidate for another season. But, if we did manage to accumulate sufficient points to grab that slot, then we should do so with both hands. We would be there on merit and the financial rewards would be huge. Ultimately, someone has to do it, why not us? It would certainly make the August transfer window interesting!

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sun Feb 04, 2024 11:11 pm

Is Premier league money worth another infamous record? I mean, getting beat 9-0 by ManU was and is heartbreaking. Most of our current defenders are not anywhere near, Prem quality. Also, we won’t have Keiffer Moore to bail us out. Yes, I’m feeling rather defeatist at the moment…a reality check on what we really are. Obviously, I hope for the best.

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Sun Feb 04, 2024 11:11 pm

The problem is we just don’t know when we are going to have another opportunity like this. Often clubs find the 2nd season back harder than the 1st. Sunderland are an example this season. Although I believe it would be a massive step up for the current squad, if it happened then as already has been stated the financial rewards would be huge.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Mon Feb 05, 2024 4:14 am

concur with the above in that when we going to get another chance like this to become an EPL club name once again. We've provided ourselves the best chance ever since dropping out over 22 years back and I for one aren't prepared to just give up or allow it to slip. IF and it is an if, the team fail to finish top six by final game of season, THAT will be the most evident disaster of the whole season, you can override Maidstone or anything like it in terms of comparison.

We've worked so hard and made such progress since August alone it'd be almost unthinkable to throw away such a strong position and finish empty-handed. The goddamn irony being the Norwich game, anyone associated with the club can pinpoint with ease that's where we took a turn off course and it just hasn't been the same since. We were blazing a trail up 'til that point, only took a point against those .. when we should have won and decline set in and we're just not our usual 'selves or playing to the potential before the exact time in question.

wouldn't have minded so much if it were any other team in the division but because it's a certain club name it just hits harder than usual. Sure as hell (we're) not as effective after that particular game but the opportunity has been there to rectify a situation, we just haven't taken advantage or got enough wins from the subsequent games presented.

Maybe last word on the PNE game itself, after viewed highights Hladky sure looked shaky and prone to a number of errors but see no immediate reason why Walton should take over. At least not for the immediate time ahead. The Keane kid who scored for them, realize he was with us in fact before them but somehow don't recall his time here all too well. Either just wasn't used enough or scored so little it can be easily overlooked or simply took off as soon as coming in. Moore did real well on a first start but you can't make judgments on one game alone. With (or when) Hirst back at least it makes good for an interesting strike partnership but then again the manager don't seem to recognize two starting forwards and the potential rewards with it.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Mon Feb 05, 2024 8:31 am

Shed on tour wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2024 11:11 pm
The problem is we just don’t know when we are going to have another opportunity like this. Often clubs find the 2nd season back harder than the 1st. Sunderland are an example this season. Although I believe it would be a massive step up for the current squad, if it happened then as already has been stated the financial rewards would be huge.

Your opening sentence concurs exactly with my thinking Shed and given our position at the half way stage it would be a shame to blow away the opportunity. Last season Blackburn Rovers were in a good position and only missed the play offs by goal difference but this season sit just above the relegation zone.

One good season definitely doesn’t guarantee a second and like everything else in life, it’s all about taking opportunity when it presents itself.

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Mon Feb 05, 2024 9:52 am

Having had the chance to view the highlights I have a few observations and I can certainly see (mainly) Hallam's points. Our passing out of defence certainly looks a bit jittery at the moment, almost lacking in confidence. It's easy to criticise Edmundson (not a fan of his in general, I add) for his role in the first 2 goals, 'you're only as good as your last game' seems the adage here! I felt he was unfortunate with both. Wolfie didn't seem central enough for me, leaving Morsy to make an unsuccessful last ditch challenge. Maybe it's the style of play where defenders pull wide to receive the ball, often then allowing Morsy to receive it centrally. Hladky seemed very shaky, indeed came within a whisker of gifting Preston a 4th in the second.
The above are not meant as criticisms, just my thoughts. While none of us are 'football managers' it doesn't take a lot for opposition managers to work out how to play against us? We need, as others have said, to sharpen up our execution of this style, maybe mix it up a bit too now and then. With Keiffer up front perhaps this is in KM's thinking?
We really need a confidence restoring result or 3 now and I believe we now have enough about us up front. I take heart in how we looked out of it around this time last year in L1, with the Owls looking nailed on. I feel it's highly unlikely the Saints can maintain their streak! Injuries or other will end it at some point. Neither too are we out of it. Once again, as last year, our new key signings will give us renewed impetus.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Feb 05, 2024 10:57 am

Glad someone else has picked up on Edmundson, I too felt sorry for the guy with both goals, I actually don't blame him for either, yes the first one could have been blocked better but Jesus that could have gone anywhere and typically it goes wide enough around Hladky for him not to reach it, the second one, I'd have been more annoyed had he not got back and made the tackle, he was after all put in that position by the most inept offside decision you will ever see.

Same with Hladky, yes not his best game by any means but what is that the FIRST goal he has given away this season ? I mean ffs the way he is asked to play that is some record.

Fans make me laugh, Hladky, player of the season, one bad game, drop him !!!!
Edmundson player of the month for January, one difficult afternoon, useless !!!!

Mckenna on the other hand, terrible team selection, no plan B, MESSIAH

Double standards.