Championship - Preston North End vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

New Strikers to make a difference?

Preston Win
12%
Ipswich Win
82%
Draw
6%

Total votes: 17

valleyroad

Re: Championship - Preston North End vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by valleyroad » Sat Feb 03, 2024 7:16 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2024 7:04 pm
People are allowed to show concerns, nobody is turning on him ffs, far from it, he is learning, he will get things wrong, he hasn't got many, we all see things differently, I personally would have started Moore, irrespective of his goals, I bet if you ask KM he wishes he'd started him too, some people seem to like to dig at those who question things, well tough sh*t, I love McKenna, best boss for years but he got it wrong today, my opinion of course, to accept things come what may is crap supporting, my opinion again.
Yes but he is not a naive coach in his recruitment, man management squad management and tactics. Some of the comments on here are ridiculous.
Very few coaches put a new recruit straight into the side. It fine with hindsight to say he should have started but he hasn't even trained with the squad?
If Town had lost today and Moore started and bombed having just arrived, i wonder what the comments would have been.
Last edited by valleyroad on Sat Feb 03, 2024 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Sat Feb 03, 2024 7:21 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2024 6:35 pm
valleyroad wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2024 6:26 pm
Steve wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2024 6:18 pm

Do not fully agree. We were poor at the back, 1st deflected goal from a foul from Preston, second goal well offside and even then it was an own goal.

I'm more encouraged in how we fought back than thinking too much on a disaster of a first half. Are we going to soon hear fans turn on the manager I wonder ?
Well if they turn on McKenna he'll be off.
McKenna naive comments just stagger me tbh.
Yes he can make mistakes which he will learn from, jeez Fergie made them
A number of spoilt brats who need to get a grip of themselves and appreciate the best coach Ipswich has had in a year.
The town has a really decent run of fixtures coming up. I expect a playoff but for me, the 3 who came down last season are quite a bit ahead of the rest which will bear out over the business end of the season
Yes, he IS the best coach about. Without a shadow of a doubt. But how many more games are we going to get caught either on the break by teams, or playing this so slow predictable build-up from the back? Woolfie practically walks the ball out of defence. The opposition now just sit back and wait. Non-league Maidstone did … every team we play against now sits and waits … they target the “ second phase”. That way they do less running.

People are blaming Hldaky for some of the husks today. But why is Woolfenden passing the ball back to him on our goal line when there’s ONE player still in and around our 18-yard area? WHY??? All he needed to do was face the PNE goal bring the ball up the pitch … commit their players to running back to defend. It’s not rocket science. They’d been catching us out all afternoon with this PREDICTABLE SLOW tippy tappy ball out from the back.

We have no second gear now it seems. Only one way of playing … so if this isnt naive to keep “ to our principles” when opponents have sussed it, I don’t know what is.

Quite right Liz: Wolfie is far too laid back, and in my estimation needs to be replaced with Burgess and Axel, Wolfie and Edmundson can be benched and used if we have injuries, But I'm like you Liz Wolfie scares the s*** out of me with this laid back passing and invites mistakes from Hladky and will get others and himself caught out, when playing this type of passing out of defence you have to make sure you have plenty of space to work in Wolfie doesn't he hangs onto the ball for far too long and invites trouble, so Axel and Burgess for our next match please

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Sat Feb 03, 2024 7:27 pm

marko69 wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2024 6:46 pm
Ash in his living room @ HT......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ss7Ldx29GVQ
Bloody hell Marco are you psychic or what, once I saw Jackson selected ahead of Moore that's exactly how I acted :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Steve

Post by Steve » Sat Feb 03, 2024 7:33 pm

ashfordblue wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2024 7:21 pm
hallamblue wrote:
valleyroad wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2024 6:26 pm

Well if they turn on McKenna he'll be off.
McKenna naive comments just stagger me tbh.
Yes he can make mistakes which he will learn from, jeez Fergie made them
A number of spoilt brats who need to get a grip of themselves and appreciate the best coach Ipswich has had in a year.
The town has a really decent run of fixtures coming up. I expect a playoff but for me, the 3 who came down last season are quite a bit ahead of the rest which will bear out over the business end of the season
Yes, he IS the best coach about. Without a shadow of a doubt. But how many more games are we going to get caught either on the break by teams, or playing this so slow predictable build-up from the back? Woolfie practically walks the ball out of defence. The opposition now just sit back and wait. Non-league Maidstone did … every team we play against now sits and waits … they target the “ second phase”. That way they do less running.

People are blaming Hldaky for some of the husks today. But why is Woolfenden passing the ball back to him on our goal line when there’s ONE player still in and around our 18-yard area? WHY??? All he needed to do was face the PNE goal bring the ball up the pitch … commit their players to running back to defend. It’s not rocket science. They’d been catching us out all afternoon with this PREDICTABLE SLOW tippy tappy ball out from the back.

We have no second gear now it seems. Only one way of playing … so if this isnt naive to keep “ to our principles” when opponents have sussed it, I don’t know what is.

Quite right Liz: Wolfie is far too laid back, and in my estimation needs to be replaced with Burgess and Axel, Wolfie and Edmundson can be benched and used if we have injuries, But I'm like you Liz Wolfie scares the s*** out of me with this laid back passing and invites mistakes from Hladky and will get others and himself caught out, when playing this type of passing out of defence you have to make sure you have plenty of space to work in Wolfie doesn't he hangs onto the ball for far too long and invites trouble, so Axel and Burgess for our next match please
Really do agree with you both here a lot about Wolfie. He is way too laidback, any more so he'll be horizontal. He can be a very good player though just he also gets me pulling my hair out from his laidback play

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Sat Feb 03, 2024 7:40 pm

rossi wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2024 7:00 pm
Steve wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2024 6:55 pm
These are words from Kieran regarding Kieffer Moore

"His (Moore) impact was there for all to see, he was excellent. I don't think it would have been right (to start him), he hasn't even trained with the group."

How can you realistically start a game with Kieffer Moore if he's not even trained with the team? Hindsight is a wonderful thing but I am not blaming the manager for starting without Moore

Bet he starts next match though and even Ali Al-Hamadi looked class when he came on
sounds a bit Irish to me. If it wouldn't have been the right decision to start him due to the fact he had not trained with the squad, then why did he bring him on for the second half? That wins my prize for the most ridiculous statement of the month.
That's exactly what I meant by starting Kieffer Moore rather than an inept Jackson, any quality out-and-out striker doesn't need to know how we set up to play, all he needs to know is who's supplying the ammo down the flanks and corners, he's not interested in the tippy tappy pass arsing around just get the bloody ball up to me and I'll do the rest THANK YOU

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Feb 03, 2024 7:46 pm

valleyroad wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2024 7:07 pm
Steve wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2024 6:55 pm
These are words from Kieran regarding Kieffer Moore

"His (Moore) impact was there for all to see, he was excellent. I don't think it would have been right (to start him), he hasn't even trained with the group."

How can you realistically start a game with Kieffer Moore if he's not even trained with the team? Hindsight is a wonderful thing but I am not blaming the manager for starting without Moore

Bet he starts next match though and even Ali Al-Hamadi looked class when he came on
Look like first class recruitment from a tactically naive coach. You couldn't make it up.
No he’s not a naive coach … but he does show naive moments as a manager . What’s wrong in saying that? He’s NOT perfect. He’s learning the game as a manager ,.. far different role to that as a coach on the training ground. But He has to learn ( and I have absolutely no doubts he will because he’s a deep thinker and reflective in his actions in the game).. that there is nothing wrong if changing things in terms of our approach in some games. Opponents have sussed how we play, and have adapted their approach to us. So we in turn also need to reek and adapt our approach both in attack and defence, if he keeps things the same and we continue to concede soft goals, that is naive. And as a life long supporter of thus club I’m still pinching myself that we have McKenna here, but he’s not infallible and it’s not defeatist or anti him to raise these concerns.

rossi

Post by rossi » Sat Feb 03, 2024 7:50 pm

valleyroad wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2024 7:16 pm
Bluemike wrote:
People are allowed to show concerns, nobody is turning on him ffs, far from it, he is learning, he will get things wrong, he hasn't got many, we all see things differently, I personally would have started Moore, irrespective of his goals, I bet if you ask KM he wishes he'd started him too, some people seem to like to dig at those who question things, well tough sh*t, I love McKenna, best boss for years but he got it wrong today, my opinion of course, to accept things come what may is crap supporting, my opinion again.
Yes but he is not a naive coach in his recruitment, man management squad management and tactics. Some of the comments on here are ridiculous.
Very few coaches put a new recruit straight into the side. It fine with hindsight to say he should have started but he hasn't even trained with the squad?
If Town had lost today and Moore started and bombed having just arrived, i wonder what the comments would have been.
And just how do you know what his man management is like (naive or not), unless you've been managed by him (which I'm betting you havn't). And yet you state that others make ridiculous comments? Yeah, right - dream on!!!

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Sat Feb 03, 2024 7:51 pm

Last 8 games we are averaging 1 point per game. Even Stoke and Huddersfield who are currently 20th and 21st in the league are averaging more points per game than us over this period of time.
Certainly a cause for concern and at this moment in time I feel we need to concentrate more on clinching a playoff place than automatic promotion. Long way to go yet but we can’t let our current run of form to continue otherwise even a playoff place could start to look in jeopardy. Not so long ago we were 10 points ahead of 3rd, just shows how quickly things can change.

valleyroad

Post by valleyroad » Sat Feb 03, 2024 8:10 pm

rossi wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2024 7:50 pm
valleyroad wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2024 7:16 pm
Bluemike wrote:
And just how do you know what his man management is like (naive or not), unless you've been managed by him (which I'm betting you havn't). And yet you state that others make ridiculous comments? Yeah, right - dream on!!!
Well to have achieved at Ipswich what McKenna has achieved, i'd hazard a guess he pretty damn good at it. Even you with your masters in computer science you might get that ?
You are right though i haven't been man managed by him so you may have point. Even a stopped clock is correct and all that
To be honest we don't really have folk like you up in Scotland so i kinda struggle a bit to get you ??
Last edited by valleyroad on Sat Feb 03, 2024 8:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Feb 03, 2024 8:12 pm

KMcK post match analysis: nicely summed up as per usual 👍

McKenna: In the First Half Everything That Could Go Wrong, Did Go Wrong
Saturday, 3rd Feb 2024 18:34
Town boss Kieran McKenna admitted that virtually everything that could have gone wrong did go wrong in the first half of his side’s 3-2 defeat to Preston North End at Deepdale.

The Blues found them 3-0 down at the break, the Lilywhites having been two in front in only the eighth minute via an opener from former Town striker Will Keane on five and a George Edmundson own goal. Keane added his second and the home side’s third six minutes before half-time.

McKenna’s men then staged a second-half fightback with deadline day re-signing Kieffer Moore, who is on loan from AFC Bournemouth, making his second Blues debut from the bench at half-time and scoring twice to give Town hope of another famous comeback. They continued to push in the closing minutes but eventually ran out of time.

Lowe: We're overachieving at Preston |...
Fluid logo

“It was a difficult half,” McKenna said when asked to reflect on that first period. “It’s a difficult place to come anyway but when you concede two very unfortunate goals in the first eight or nine minutes, [then it’s harder].

“The first goal was a shot from probably 30 yards, it takes a bit deflection and goes in the corner.

“The second goal is two yards offside, it’s so clear, it can’t not be given by the linesman. I think George [Edmundson] has made an aggressive decision to step up, but the right decision when the striker’s two yards offside. The linesman can’t miss it.

“You’re 2-0 down after eight minutes, it’s the worst situation it can be because Preston can then defend, they can defend their box with a lot of bodies.

“Of course, we lacked a little bit in the final third and our play in the final third wasn’t at the level that we wanted it to be.

“We lacked the profile and the presence in the final third as well but that was exaggerated by the scoreline, that completely dictated the tone and feel of the game. Preston were able to feel like they were doing well in the game because they had the goals.

“A difficult first half. But at half-time, honestly, my feeling was that we were right still in the game. I didn’t think on the balance of play that certain things were too far off but we needed to improve in the final third and we needed to not have anything else go against us.

“We certainly did that in the second and produced a really good performance that I think would have deserved to get something from the game.”

McKenna dismissed any suggestion of a hangover following last week’s FA Cup exit to National League South Maidstone.

“No, I honestly don’t think it is,” he insisted. “We weren’t ourselves and, of course, the goals we need to own and look at, but the second goal for me is officiating. The first goal is a large, large chunk of misfortune, but we can still do better on our blocking technique.

“I think when you’re 2-0 down away to Preston with the type of team we are with the profile of players we had on the pitch, it’s always going to be a difficult half.”

Regarding double goalscorer Moore, who found the net for the first time in a Town shirt seven years after initially signing, having made 11 sub appearances during his previous spell at the club, McKenna said: “He showed straight away what we’ve been missing, to be fair, probably since George [Hirst] has been out in terms of a physical profile in the top line that creates space for others and also gives us a target in the box to play into or to cross to.

“And his impact was there for all to see. He was excellent and it gives us something to really build on next week.”

The Blues boss says he didn’t consider starting the on-loan AFC Bournemouth man, who only joined the club on Thursday afternoon ahead of that evening’s deadline or making changes in the first half, despite the scoreline.

“Not really, to be honest,” he said. “You can always take the gamble but I don’t think it would have been the right thing to do. He hadn’t trained with the group and he’s here for the next 17 games to have an impact, not just for the first half today, so we weren’t overly tempted by that.”

Town’s other new striker signing Ali Al-Hamadi was also lively when he came off the bench in the second half.

“He was, he showed some of his dynamism in the final third and his physicality around the box,” McKenna added.

“Good to get him on the pitch as well and we had so many chances in the second, were such a threat and the supporters behind the goal were fantastic and the only shame was that we weren’t able to get the next goal.”

This Town side has shown their spirit to come back in plenty of games under McKenna and this was no exception, even if they fell short on this occasion.

“I think it’s a day where in the first half pretty much everything that could go wrong, did go wrong and we were 3-0 down at a really tough stadium,” he reflected.

“But the players have still produced a really good second half that I think deserved to get something out of the game.

“I think it says a lot. It’s disappointing not to get the win, we’ve not had as many wins lately as we would like but we’ve not lost many games.

“We are competitive every week, the group keeps fighting to the end of every game and those qualities will stand us in good stead and we’ll continue to work and come back stronger when things don’t go our way.”

Regarding Preston’s third goal, he added: “We lost a ball on build-up. I’ll fully support the players in that situation because the players involved try to do the right thing, tried to something that’s brought us success over the last two years and we didn’t quite execute it right.

“That’s never a problem with me when our intent’s right, we know the rewards of having a style and a system that we believe in and that we follow and we’ve had the successes from that and we’ll continue to have so.

“Of course, we’ll continue to work on our execution, it wasn’t easy to execute a lot of different things on the pitch today, but that’s football. Over the course of a season these things can happen.

“The time that Vaz [Vaclav Hladky] hooks it clear with his left foot and they head it back down the middle of the pitch and score never gets noticed, but the one where you lose in that situation does.

“We’ll give our full support to the players in that situation and we’ll just continue to work to get better.

“Of course, in the second half, we have the option to go over the press as well, which is important for us and is something that we like to do and we were able to utilise that well.

“We’ll continue to work on all phases in the game and on build-up continue to try and be very, very good at combining out of those situations, but also now have the option to go over the top of the pressers in those situations and find different types of attacks.”

The result sees the Blues drop to fourth but as was the case when Town were second, McKenna says he’s taking little notice of the table.

“There’s 46 games, that’s the fourth game that we’ve lost in the league this year, that’s a fantastic effort,” he said.

“We know it’s not all going to be sunny days. There are teams around us with fantastic squads in incredible form and if we use up all our energy, or any of our energy really, focusing on them and the runs that they’re on, then we won’t have the required energy to be competitive every week, which we generally have been.

“Today, we weren’t in the first half, it didn’t go the way that we wanted but over the course of 90 minutes in a tough stadium where they’ve taken points and performances from all the other teams at the top of the league as well, we still managed to produce over the course of 90 minutes a lot of good things.”

The Town manager is pleased to have a full week on the training field with his squad and particularly last week’s new signings before fifth-placed West Brom visit Portman Road next Saturday.

“For sure,” the Northern Irishman said. “Of course, we had the week this week but it’s a week with so much uncertainty and until four o’clock on Thursday we weren’t sure if another striker would be in the door and whether Kieffer would be in the door, there was a lot of uncertainty around that.

“Ali, as I said, hasn’t trained with the group really yet, so it will be nice now to have a full week to be able to get some training time with those boys, to look at the ways that we can integrate them into our playing style and what they can add to us and prepare and look forward to a really good game now next weekend.”

mendipblue

Post by mendipblue » Sat Feb 03, 2024 8:18 pm

Shed on tour wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2024 7:51 pm
Last 8 games we are averaging 1 point per game. Even Stoke and Huddersfield who are currently 20th and 21st in the league are averaging more points per game than us over this period of time.
Certainly a cause for concern and at this moment in time I feel we need to concentrate more on clinching a playoff place than automatic promotion. Long way to go yet but we can’t let our current run of form to continue otherwise even a playoff place could start to look in jeopardy. Not so long ago we were 10 points ahead of 3rd, just shows how quickly things can change.
Was it not this time last year where we drew 0-0 at Bristol Rovers and then we brought Hirst in and then everything changed and we went on a amazing winning run of games to clinch promotion? Let's hope Kiefer Moore is that same sort of catalyst 👍

Steve

Post by Steve » Sat Feb 03, 2024 8:37 pm

My opinion for what its worth is we were not 3-0 down at halftime because Jackson was playing, we were 3-0 down for inept defending and also inept officials

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Feb 03, 2024 8:48 pm

100% agree… been saying our defence is our weakest link for ages..,, a project for the summer I hope.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sat Feb 03, 2024 8:49 pm

Steve wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2024 8:37 pm
My opinion for what its worth is we were not 3-0 down at halftime because Jackson was playing, we were 3-0 down for inept defending and also inept officials
Yeah but if Moore started, it’s realistic to think he could have scored before Preston. 1 nil up changes the game entirely as far as the confidence and focus of the team. Most of you saw what I wrote yesterday as far as wanting Moore starting and predicting he’d score on his debut, so my opinion at least wasn’t based on being 3 nil down. We’ve all given Kieran his plaudits since he became the manager, but today he got the starting lineup wrong.

Steve

Post by Steve » Sat Feb 03, 2024 8:55 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2024 8:48 pm
100% agree… been saying our defence is our weakest link for ages..,, a project for the summer I hope.
And I for one Liz never disagreed

Would been hard for any forward to have scored in that 1st half. Don't get me wrong here. Moore is far better striker than Jackson will ever be. Damn glad he's here and Ali also. I am encourage for rest of the season but get that defence sorted please

Can't do nothing about refereeing or the officials though, worse luck

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Feb 03, 2024 9:00 pm

Seems the officials in the game have forgotten how to officiate. I think the biggest problem with this is the linesmen no longer have an input to the game in calling it (decisions)… it’s all down to the man on the pitch , and the pace of the modern game makes it almost impossible for one man to be up with play all the time. It needs reviewing. Get rid of VAR and use humans again.

herforder

Post by herforder » Sat Feb 03, 2024 10:19 pm

Ditch the tippy-tippy cr*p, play the whole game as if you mean it and recognise that having KM available provides a viable Plan B.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sat Feb 03, 2024 10:38 pm

herforder wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2024 10:19 pm
Ditch the tippy-tippy cr*p, play the whole game as if you mean it and recognise that having KM available provides a viable Plan B.
When you watch Prem teams playing the ball out from the back, it’s much faster. That’s the one thing that bothers me the most about us, we’re slow and indecisive. Nothing wrong with the philosophy, it’s the execution. And in my opinion, Kieran should be emphasizing that which maybe he is. Also the open space that’s created on the wings when our defenders surge forward…needs to be addressed. I don’t have statistics, but how many goals have we conceded by leaving too much space on the wings for counter attacks? Hey I’m just an old, burned out footballer and KM knows much more about tactics than me, but it seems pretty obvious doesn’t it?

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Feb 03, 2024 10:49 pm

Exactly ….. and who’s the pivotal player bringing that ball out of defence?

We’re like watching paint dry in our build up play.

SOMETHING has to change with how we are executing it.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sat Feb 03, 2024 11:09 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2024 10:49 pm
Exactly ….. and who’s the pivotal player bringing that ball out of defence?

We’re like watching paint dry in our build up play.

SOMETHING has to change with how we are executing it.
Is it fair to say, maybe some of our defensive players are just not able to execute Kieran’s plan? Also, when you play the wing back system you really need athletic CBs to cover. I’m not sure we have the quality to execute KM’s brilliant insight on modern football tactics, and I would bet he’s rubbed his eyebrows a few times during matches. I said long ago, the full press attack is great when you’re scoring goals…but there has to be a balance and I’m not sure KM has figured that out with the players he has to work with. With that said, KM is a brilliant coach and I’m glad he’s our manager.

herforder

Post by herforder » Sat Feb 03, 2024 11:11 pm

Can’t argue that KM’s philosophy has not served us well from the get go, and produced great, entertaining, very successful football. Despite the odd critical murmur starting to trickle through, mainly from those waiting for the bubble to burst, we are extremely fortunate to have KM as our manager. Working within the limitations of the squad, he’s exceeded all expectations.

However, it remains the fact that we’re still work in progress. There have been, and remain, areas of our game that need to be improved upon - including those identified by No 9, HB and others on here. Many of the goals against come from turning over possession when trying to play our from the back, then being too slow to react defensively. We need to mix our game up - opponents recognise that we’re largely a one trick pony, and set up accordingly. Having KM on board gives us that ability to mix it up successfully - as his two goals today emphatically demonstrates. Keep the faith!

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Feb 03, 2024 11:24 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2024 6:54 pm
Charnwood wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2024 6:38 pm
hallamblue wrote:

Yes he IS the best coach about. Without a shadow of doubt. But how many more games are we going to get caught either on the break by teams, or playing this so slow predictable build up from the back . Woolfie practically walks the hall out of defence . The opposition now just fit back and wait . Non league Maidstone did … every tram we play against now sits and waits … they target the “ second phase” . That way they go less running .

People are blaming Hldaky for some if the husks today. But why is Woolfenden passing the ball back to him on our goal line when there’s ONE players still in and around our 18yard are . WHY??? All he needed to do was face the PNE goal and bring the ball up the pitch … commit their players to running back to defend. It’s not rocket science. They’d been catching us out all afternoon with this PREDICTABLE SLOW tippy tappy ball out from the back.

We have no second gear now it seems . Only one way if playing … so if this isnt naive to keep “ to our principles” when opponents have sussed it, I don’t know what is.

No second gear, which gear do you think we were in second half Liz cos it wasn’t the same gear we were in for the first 45 mins. The problem for me was the players more than the manager. Wtf do they need McKenna to change gear for them, they should be able to up the momentum themselves without being told. The problem is they let their heads drop and lost concentration.
Well you won’t like the reply Andy , but I’m afraid Woolfenden is the problem . HE’S too slow and one dimensional. He WALKS the ball out from the edge of the 18yRd area. Stops. Puts his foot on the ball . Opponents used to bits and try and come and get the ball … ( then he would play a sideways pass out to his right )…. Opponents don’t bother much now to try and don’t get . They sit tight . And so the ball goes back to him … he walks forward a bit more … passes it left …gets it back, passes it back to Hldaky, and so it goes on .

If he’s the playmaker, HE needs to change his pace … drive forward occasionally with the ball and get opponents to commit … or god forbid dink a ball forwards . I can tell you how we build up from out of defence with my eyes closed now. It’s the same pace, the same passes 99% of our attacks.

How about we surprise the opposition and put in the occasional quick pass forward? Change the pace of our play… we’re so predictable and SLOW.
I’m not sure why you don’t think I’ll like your reply Liz, I’ve never been a fan of Woolfie or Edmundson mainly because both of them are the main culprits for losing possession and gifting the ball away.

I still don’t agree we’re totally one paced and today illustrated that. If you think the second half was played at the same pace as the first you must have been watching a different game, particularly after Hutchinson came on.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sat Feb 03, 2024 11:40 pm

Yes, but why do Edmundson and Woolfy give up possession? Could it be they’re being asked to do too much within their capabilities? I don’t think Hutchinson has anything to do with it. Maybe I’m reading you wrong. As far as I’m concerned, today’s result would have been different if Kieffer Moore would have started. Period.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Feb 03, 2024 11:53 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2024 6:44 pm
Charnwood wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2024 6:34 pm

I’m a little concerned he and AlHamadi could get in each others way but that’s something they’ll have to work out in training.

Personally my preference is having Hutchinson on the pitch but whenever he starts he seems to go awol and always looks best coming off the bench.

We need to get the show back on the road quickly and although we won’t win them all our five remaining games in February are winnable especially if we play like we did in the second half this afternoon.

Some people need to get real, we’ve still only lost 4 games this season the same as Leicester City and Southampton and the only clubs above us are last seasons relegated Premier League trio whilst most of our team came up from League One.

I know it’s frustrating but ffs don’t be defeatist and give up cos we’re far from done.

I would suggest they got in each others way becysse they’ve had no training time together . Certainly not Moore. Ali probably had one session before they left for Lancashire. This I’m sure will get sorted.

What annoys me is we are without fail giving ourselves a massive mountain to climb seemingly every game because……

We. Can’t. Defend (when we are asked if need to do so!!) . The pundits said a PNE goal was offside …. The other was foul just before they broke in goal. Even if this was the case our CB’s are too bloody slow and still had a job to do and cocked it up.

We can’t defend when we are needing to do that part of the game. It’s been like it all season. We’ve dug ourselves out of gifting soft goals .. well we didn’t today…. We didn’t against Maidstone …. We didn’t against scum etc etc …

It’s not defeated to make to observations of how a person sees the game. And if the record appears stuck it’s because we KEEP making the same mistakes. I’m ducking us gifting opponents soft goals every bloody game…. And not mixing things up a bit : it’s naive tactics .

….. and your first para is exactly why McKenna made the call he did having both players on the bench to give them some game time when either it hopefully wouldn’t matter if they got in one another’s way or when it was necessary to roll the final dice which is exactly what he did.

…. ( and if the officials had done their job properly we wouldn’t have lost anyway. Worst case scenario we might have drew 2-2 )

I think if McKenna had played Moore & Alhamadi from the start and they were getting in each others way and we lost the game, the same fans who are complaining they/he didn’t start would have been saying McKenna was mad playing them
from the start as they’d not had any training time together.

Unless we won today whatever he did, picking Moore and/or Almahadi or not picking them, the “we know best” brigade would have blamed him.

Usually scoring two goals away from home is good enough to take points home and should have been today at Preston who had only scored three goals once so far this season. We didn’t lose today because Keiffer Moore didn’t start we lost today because the defence was crap for the first 40 minutes and the referee didn’t help our cause either.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Feb 03, 2024 11:58 pm

number 9 wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2024 11:40 pm
Yes, but why do Edmundson and Woolfy give up possession? Could it be they’re being asked to do too much within their capabilities? I don’t think Hutchinson has anything to do with it. Maybe I’m reading you wrong. As far as I’m concerned, today’s result would have been different if Kieffer Moore would have started. Period.
My reference to Omari Hutchinson was solely related to our pace of play which I think increases quite significantly when he’s on the pitch. Not sure if you read it that way or not 9.

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Sun Feb 04, 2024 12:03 am

hallamblue wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2024 8:48 pm
I can't wait for Burgess to get back in the team alongside Axel against West Brom next Saturday, we must bench Wolfie and Edmundson there's always going to be a mistake between these two, also its our RB position that comes under most attacks, and against West Brom they exploited our weakness down the left side at the Hawthorns, to counteract these early goals against us we must have someone like Travis working just in front of the defence then leaving Morsy and Luongo in midfield that leaves a mix of three up top Moore being the central striker.
So it should be 4-1-2-3 which can be shuffled around as the game progresses.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sun Feb 04, 2024 12:07 am

Well I don’t know about anyone else, but if Keiffer Moore started and we still lost, I would have accepted the loss because I’d know KM put out the strongest team.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sun Feb 04, 2024 12:14 am

No we did change it when Moore came on… but my point really is we are so slow and predictable in our build up play from the back … it needs tweaking. It’ll be interesting to see how McKenna utilises Moore now and how we adapt ( I hope we do) to give him the ball in that box . But for the love of God please try and sort out this defence. It’s killing us: just look at our goals against compared to the rest of that top 6…

Anyway … we move on COYBs

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sun Feb 04, 2024 12:19 am

Well I did answer your post re defence Andy but then had a phone call half way through it before hitting submit. I hit submit after the call and the bloody post didn’t go . I’m not repeating it all again now lol !!

I’ve not had any issue with Moore not starting . Why would McKenna start a player who’s not even trained with the squad . My beef is with our average defenders costing us. Regardless of whether decision is given or not, our CB’s are slow, make poor decisions, ball watch , can’t defend the ball when it’s out into our box and are too slow to counter any mistakes made. It’s been like it for 2-3 seasons.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sun Feb 04, 2024 12:21 am

One last thought, I’ve been very patient with KMs preoccupation with Jackson. It’s time to move him on. No disrespect Kayden, but you’re not good enough for ITFC.