Championship - Preston North End vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

New Strikers to make a difference?

Preston Win
12%
Ipswich Win
82%
Draw
6%

Total votes: 17

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Re: Championship - Preston North End vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Bluemike » Mon Feb 05, 2024 11:14 am

The other thing and without meaning to offend anyone, I do not accept all this "we'd be better with another season in the Championship" cobblers, I am not buying it, that really is a little old Ipswich mentality for sure, if people truly think that then why after a defeat do some go into a meltdown and virtually hyperventilate ? Surely the odd defeat here and there would suit your thinking of another season where we are ? I got annoyed for completely the opposite reason, I wanted to win that game to keep up our hopes of going up, not giving points away. As one or two have said, we may not get a better chance for quite some time, grasp it !!! to be accepting of staying where we are is crap in my opinion and renders the rest of the season and the play offs pointless, no way am i viewing it like that.

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Mon Feb 05, 2024 11:37 am

Yeah, well said Mike, there should be no backwards step, player's minds should be focused 100% on going up automatically, therefore so should the supporters. We are where we are based on momentum and team spirit, that is the only way to compete against 3 giant parachute clubs and we've kept them honest for 2/3 of a season and we're still there, you don't become a bad side because of a tough run, and that momentum and team spirit won't be here next year if we don't go up. You have to go up if you can and figure it out when you're up there, there is no advantage to consigning ourselves to a 'consolidation' season this year, we've already maxed out FFP allowance, so there's not much more to be wrung from the cloth. Look at Burnley, they were about as prepared as a club and team could be to make the jump and it looks like they've fallen flat on their faces.

I can't believe that some think lets settle for the playoffs already, just because we would have taken it at the start of the season. We've had a poor period, I said we'd have a tough winter before the season started. Now we have some very exciting new legs coming in and a period of easier games to introduce them. It took a bit of time bedding in new players last season, that is always the case, but I have no reason to believe that the team isn't capable of clicking like they did last year and going on a similar run, so they have to fight tooth and nail to get there. Same with the player's mentality, there is no thinking "oh I don't really want to go up, I won't get a start in the Prem", they should be thinking give it all and figure it out when you get there, maybe you have to drop to the Championship with another club and try and go up with them, but at least you retire after giving it your all and having been part of incredible back to back promotions and something huge to be proud of and talk about for the rest of your life. I'll still applaud them off the pitch on the final day of the season if they finish 6th, but that doesn't mean you should settle for it now.

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Mon Feb 05, 2024 12:11 pm

Only my opinion of course, but I believe with the new Premiership tv deal that it is going to become even more difficult to compete with those clubs coming down as they will probably receive even more in terms of parachute payments.
The other thing is to as Rico pointed out we are probably already sailing close to the wind with regards to FFP which will no doubt mean that if we don’t go up this season we will already have to be looking at selling one or two of our better players, Leif probably being the first. Then the problem is trying to find another gem who is not going to weaken the team too much in order for us to still compete. Not saying it can’t be done but can see it becoming more difficult as time goes on.
Remember being at Anfield for the last game of 2001-2002 season, we were losing 5-0 and all us Town fans were singing “always look on the bright side of life”. I said to myself, this has been a sh*t season but I’m sure we will be back in a year or two. 20+ years I’m still waiting.

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Mon Feb 05, 2024 12:18 pm

Can a mod delete that duplicate post please, yet again brain is not working again this morning. Thanks

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Mon Feb 05, 2024 12:33 pm

I did wonder if my agreeing about consolidating would raise a few eyebrows. I suppose I posted that when I was feeling very flat after the PNE result!

I think Moore ( and to a lesser extent maybe , Hamada) can give *e team that much needed new impetus now. Mores especially because the very nature of his style of play and physical attributes means we have the opportunity to tweak how we attack. It’ll be interesting to see if McKenna does mix it up a bit. He now has different options, but getting someone like Moore in through the door will hopefully free up the likes of Chaplin, Broadhead, Burns, Harness etc because the loss of Hirst has had a huge impact on our attacking potential in my humble opinion.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Mon Feb 05, 2024 12:42 pm

Shed on tour wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2024 12:11 pm
Remember being at Anfield for the last game of 2001-2002 season, we were losing 5-0 and all us Town fans were singing “always look on the bright side of life”. I said to myself, this has been a sh*t season but I’m sure we will be back in a year or two. 20+ years I’m still waiting.
20+ years sigh...that is a scary thought! Remember though, we've just been promoted from League One. Speaking for myself, of course I'll be elated if we get promoted first time up. However, I think it's glaringly obvious we don't have the depth in squad like those teams around us. Personally, I'm trying to be positive and prepared for life without promotion. For me it is not about giving up on this season, it is about preparing for the worst and hoping for the best...like I have been doing for 20+ years.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Feb 05, 2024 1:18 pm

I totally get that Number9, but we aren't out of this yet, seeing Moore and Hamadi Saturday excites me for the run in, let's see how Southampton do with all their trips to the big boys to come, and if it is to be the play offs let's go into them in good form and give it a go, if we fail so be it, but let's bust a gut to try to get there. All I want is to see KM mix it up and stop being predictable, not massive changes just tweaks at the right times.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Mon Feb 05, 2024 1:57 pm

Yes, March is Southampton’s “ December” (our tough month)… difference is we’ve not had a striker, and they have a strong squad …. I’m hoping they drop a couple of games to draws … and they have Leeds away last game of the season. So the big task for us I think is to build up a head of steam again snd just stay in touch with 2nd.

COYBssss

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Mon Feb 05, 2024 2:05 pm

I think Moore making a nuisance of himself up front will really fire up our support, something we have missed since we lost Hirst! I know I love to see a player "get stuck in! There's nobody in our team beyond the 2 aforementioned who can unsettle a team's defence by their presence alone. Chaplin, amongst others, will no doubt be licking his lips with the space Moore will force defences to give up, I feel.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Mon Feb 05, 2024 4:36 pm

I’ve literally just posted a similar thought AM on the dreaded twtd!

We’ve really missed Hirst’s influence ( which is why I think Chaplin, Broadhead etc have been less effective too)… Moore will really get amongst opponents defences and I settle them. I hope!! 🤞

mugen1

Post by mugen1 » Mon Feb 05, 2024 5:42 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2024 11:14 am
The other thing and without meaning to offend anyone, I do not accept all this "we'd be better with another season in the Championship" cobblers, I am not buying it, that really is a little old Ipswich mentality for sure, if people truly think that then why after a defeat do some go into a meltdown and virtually hyperventilate ? Surely the odd defeat here and there would suit your thinking of another season where we are ? I got annoyed for completely the opposite reason, I wanted to win that game to keep up our hopes of going up, not giving points away. As one or two have said, we may not get a better chance for quite some time, grasp it !!! to be accepting of staying where we are is crap in my opinion and renders the rest of the season and the play offs pointless, no way am i viewing it like that.
Can't argue with a word of that.

rossi

Post by rossi » Mon Feb 05, 2024 6:03 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Totally agree with that sentiment, but I'm guessing that those saying that are purely mitigating their disappointment in our loss of form.

Personally, I don't care whether or not we over-achieved up until Christmas or not - I'm not interested in people telling me that I should be happy as if, at the start of the season, I'd been offered us being 4th at this stage I would have bitten peoples hands off. No, the fact is that just before Christmas we were 2nd with a nice big gap between us and 3rd place. So if we don't get auto promotion I will be totally pissed off, especially as one of Leeds/Southampton will also be in the play-offs.

herforder

Post by herforder » Mon Feb 05, 2024 6:07 pm

Pretty sure that MA/KM will be considering all scenarios NOW in anticipation of next season, and starting to work on August’s transfer window. Nowhere in their thinking, or that of the overwhelming majority of supporters, would there be an option marked ‘ the risks of promotion asap outweigh the rewards achieving it would bring!’ Rewards extending not just to the football club, but potentially the town and it’s wider community.

How could they, for example, negotiate to bring quality, players into the club, whilst displaying such a cautious approach to playing PL football? Any potential recruit would fall about laughing - and head off elsewhere! Actually, as for future PL embarrassing defeats, we might ask Maidstone’s supporters for their views!

All good stuff!

Mariner67

Post by Mariner67 » Mon Feb 05, 2024 8:11 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Yes Mike,totally agree, if we get promoted this year its worth millions & we can use that money to get some decent world class defenders in :) other teams like Leicester, Bournemouth have done well in the prem,ok we will probably come back down but that's worth millions to & I'm sure the players want to be playing the best in the country.

goldandblack

Post by goldandblack » Mon Feb 05, 2024 9:01 pm

Bluemike wrote:

Mike take a deep breath and count to ten, then read what I said before questioning you Premier Lg superiors, 8)
Of course there is not a football fan in the world who doesn’t want their club competing in the top league. But you have to be ready, that includes the fans of the clubs, Town and Wolves are no different,
One small blip and the abilities of the manager and his tactics are getting questioned,

My point was is if it doesn’t happen this season “then it would do you no harm having another season in the Championship” probably do your owners and manager good to build a premier league side ready,
Now remember “deep breath and count to ten” :lol: :lol: :lol:

Mariner67

Post by Mariner67 » Mon Feb 05, 2024 9:12 pm

Sorry but I disagree, we need to take the chance while we still have it,hanging on for another championship push for prem is unlikely to work in our favour, look what happened after that season we got beaten by Noj in the play offs went downhill afterwards.

goldandblack

Post by goldandblack » Mon Feb 05, 2024 9:33 pm

Mariner67 wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2024 9:12 pm
Sorry but I disagree, we need to take the chance while we still have it,hanging on for another championship push for prem is unlikely to work in our favour, look what happened after that season we got beaten by Noj in the platy offs went downhill afterwards.

Would be great to see the Town back where they belong, and soon will be,
think your in a different position now , it was a managers miracle back then you even got to the play off's, so no surprise when it went all wrong after.
you have an owner now who is actually putting your club first and a great future , and a bright young manager for the future, don't you fans go ruining it now, KEEP THE FAITH, and give them BOTH time,

Those million you talk about are just a drop in the ocean, you try buying those World Class players you talk about and the wages that coms with them,

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Mon Feb 05, 2024 10:01 pm

Thing is g n b, whilst not really the same thing in truth, you could view being relegated from the Prem as the same as not getting promoted to it, and I'd wager you'd say relegation for Wolves would be potentially devastating? Whilst we shouldn't be desperate for promotion, we have to do everything in our power to grasp at it, you never know when you'll get that opportunity again.

Going back to an earlier post, you're right, I think a hell of a lot of it is down to a current lack in confidence, which is one reason I keep harping on about how sticking 5 or 6 past Maidstone with the first team would've been a powerful tonic. I think we'll hit a vein of form soon and get that confidence back, I just wish we'd have done a little less damage to ourselves over the last one and a half months.

Denny61

Post by Denny61 » Mon Feb 05, 2024 10:08 pm

Our nxt 3 matches are vital to more or less give us an indication can we consolidate our position or jst keep us from a total meltdown and others catching up on us ..I can't see Leicester or Southampton going on a 5 game bad streak like we have. And leeds jst have too much albeit only to drop odd two points in a blue moon

valleyroad

Post by valleyroad » Mon Feb 05, 2024 10:24 pm

goldandblack wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2024 9:33 pm
Mariner67 wrote:
Sorry but I disagree, we need to take the chance while we still have it,hanging on for another championship push for prem is unlikely to work in our favour, look what happened after that season we got beaten by Noj in the platy offs went downhill afterwards.

think your in a different position now , it was a managers miracle back then you even got to the play off's, so no surprise when it went all wrong after.
you have an owner now who is actually putting your club first and a great future , and a bright young manager for the future, don't you fans go ruining it now, KEEP THE FAITH, and give them BOTH time,

Those million you talk about are just a drop in the ocean, you try buying those World Class players you talk about and the wages that coms with them,
Manager miracle, you can't say that on here.
Like the bit on McKenna and owners, depressing the comments banded about already.
I also think Ipswich are below the level of Sheff Unt last season, so going up now would need another manager miracle to stay up
Gary O'Neil starting to look like another special coaching talent
Last edited by valleyroad on Mon Feb 05, 2024 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

goldandblack

Post by goldandblack » Mon Feb 05, 2024 10:24 pm

Ricco wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2024 10:01 pm
Thing is g n b, whilst not really the same thing in truth, you could view being relegated from the Prem as the same as not getting promoted to it, and I'd wager you'd say relegation for Wolves would be potentially devastating? Whilst we shouldn't be desperate for promotion, we have to do everything in our power to grasp at it, you never know when you'll get that opportunity again.

Going back to an earlier post, you're right, I think a hell of a lot of it is down to a current lack in confidence, which is one reason I keep harping on about how sticking 5 or 6 past Maidstone with the first team would've been a powerful tonic. I think we'll hit a vein of form soon and get that confidence back, I just wish we'd have done a little less damage to ourselves over the last one and a half months.
that exactly how i see it Ricco its a confidence thing , I just don't want to see or read fans destroying what the manager and the owner have installed in your Town, and if they don't get 2 major promotions on the trot then chill out because they will next season,
Leeds U, Leicester City and Southampton are massive clubs and your holding you own v them,
YOU KNOW YOU CAN TRUST THE WOLF, :wink: COYB

Mariner67

Post by Mariner67 » Mon Feb 05, 2024 10:35 pm

goldandblack wrote:
Mariner67 wrote:

Yes agree we are in a better position now with new owners, if we go up there will obviously be more money for decent players & the new owners will be in a better position to invest further.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Mon Feb 05, 2024 10:42 pm

Didn’t wanna create a new thread, but I have to get some things off my chest. We really need Tuanzebe and Williams to come through. They’re both fantastic defenders, regardless of recent events. I think some people have been harsh on their evaluations, but I certainly understand. Also, I have been very critical of Edmundson but I honestly think he’s improved immensely. That leaves Clarke and Woolfy. Clarke at the top of his game is more than worthy to start. I scratch my head as far as Woolfy, but KM obviously sees something. Maybe with better support, he’ll be ok.

I do agree that Hirst’s absence has put the pressure on Chaplin and Broadhead respectively. Maybe it makes sense that with Moore unsettling defenses, they will benefit and be a threat once again.

Looking forward to the next match with WBA, but regardless of where you stand…we really need a comprehensive win.

goldandblack

Post by goldandblack » Mon Feb 05, 2024 10:54 pm

Mariner67 wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2024 10:35 pm
goldandblack wrote:
Mariner67 wrote:

Yes agree we are in a better position now with new owners, if we go up there will obviously be more money for decent players & the new owners will be in a better position to invest further.
trouble is your not allowed to spend the sort of money you really need if you wanted to, we had to offload 145 million worth of players this season to avoid being deducted points, ( another corrupt story) most clubs just survive in the premier,

What I'm hoping for is the top box office 6 clubs P""s off and join there own super league which would also see the politics vanish in the prem.
Then proper clubs with fans to match are back playing in a league anyone can win,

I'm also hoping it will see our Chinese owners sell up and go, never did fill easy having them involved in my club.

Mariner67

Post by Mariner67 » Mon Feb 05, 2024 11:26 pm

Wolves are looking pretty safe to me in mid table,I'd be happy for ipswich to be in that situation.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Tue Feb 06, 2024 12:25 am

Mariner67 wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2024 11:26 pm
Wolves are looking pretty safe to me in mid table,I'd be happy for ipswich to be in that situation.
No offense, but I could care less about Wolves. Do you have anything to say about the team you support?

Mariner67

Post by Mariner67 » Tue Feb 06, 2024 12:34 am

:| I was giving a reply to a wolves fan,who is a regular poster & friend on here.
Last edited by Mariner67 on Tue Feb 06, 2024 12:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Tue Feb 06, 2024 12:46 am

Mariner67 wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2024 12:34 am
I was giving a reply to a wolves fab,who is a regular poster & friend on here.
Ok sorry, you just rarely post on here yet you assume some sort of allegiance to Wolves fans. No problem, I get it.

Mariner67

Post by Mariner67 » Tue Feb 06, 2024 12:57 am

No interest in wolves no:shock: o

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Feb 06, 2024 6:36 am

Mariner67 wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2024 12:57 am
No interest in wolves no:shock: o
It's great to see you posting by the way, keep it up.