Our next 15 games. ⚽️

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Our next 15 games. ⚽️

Post by Charnwood » Wed Feb 14, 2024 11:22 pm

15 games remaining and only 4 are against teams currently in the Top 10 in the table. All four games in April.

1st April Southampton (H) currently 3rd
6th April Norwich City (A) currently 7th
20th April Coventry City (A) currently 6th
27th April Hull City (A) currently 8th

What a defining month April could be.

To be honest this could be better than playing against teams fighting against relegation but still really challenging.

Dubai Blue

Re: Our next 15 games. ⚽️

Post by Dubai Blue » Thu Feb 15, 2024 11:35 am

Wonder when the games in hand that we and Soton have against Leeds unwind.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Feb 15, 2024 11:50 am

Dubai Blue wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2024 11:35 am
Wonder when the games in hand that we and Soton have against Leeds unwind.
Ours is at home to Rotherham this Tuesday while Southampton host Hull City the same evening.

Cabanas Blue

Post by Cabanas Blue » Thu Feb 15, 2024 12:14 pm

The same as last season will do 13 wins and 2 draws 🤫🤣

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Thu Feb 15, 2024 12:32 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2024 11:22 pm
15 games remaining and only 4 are against teams currently in the Top 10 in the table. All four games in April.

To be honest this could be better than playing against teams fighting against relegation but still really challenging.
So April is another difficult month then isnt it.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Thu Feb 15, 2024 12:39 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2024 12:32 pm
Charnwood wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2024 11:22 pm

So April is another difficult month then isnt it.
It is…….. but, 12 points , Hallam.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Thu Feb 15, 2024 1:31 pm

Do you mean , you think Town will get 12 pts ? Id love it if we can go on a run like we did last season. and why not as they say... I just don't rate our defence (as you know lol) ..and at this higher level if you give opponents that leg up with a gift goal its often not possible to go onto win these tight games. I think Moore has taken the pressure off the other forwards , juts by being on the pitch occupying opponents ( much like Hirst did and which we have missed in the last 2 months ) ...another tricky game Sat but lets go for it ...

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Thu Feb 15, 2024 2:03 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2024 1:31 pm
Do you mean , you think Town will get 12 pts ?
No, I mean I have 12 points of view on the subject. Ok go get a coffee, a biscuit, get comfy......

...., Ok, Point number 1:

:lol:

Seriously though, a repeat of last year would be brilliant.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Thu Feb 15, 2024 8:28 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Do you mean , you think Town will get 12 pts ? Id love it if we can go on a run like we did last season. and why not as they say... I just don't rate our defence (as you know lol) ..and at this higher level if you give opponents that leg up with a gift goal its often not possible to go onto win these tight games. I think Moore has taken the pressure off the other forwards , juts by being on the pitch occupying opponents ( much like Hirst did and which we have missed in the last 2 months ) ...another tricky game Sat but lets go for it ...

Swansea’s home record is no better than Millwall’s, in fact before last night they were almost identical. We just need to make sure we apply similar tactics to last night to ensure we don’t concede in the first 20 mins.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Thu Feb 15, 2024 8:43 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2024 8:28 pm
hallamblue wrote:

Swansea’s home record is no better than Millwall’s, in fact before last night they were almost identical. We just need to make sure we apply similar tactics to last night to ensure we don’t concede in the first 20 mins.
Barring injuries or fatigue, I think KM will go with the same starting lineup.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Thu Feb 15, 2024 8:51 pm

Fatigue :lol: what, you mean playing a game then carrying their wallets?!

number 9

Post by number 9 » Thu Feb 15, 2024 8:54 pm

marko69 wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2024 8:51 pm
Fatigue :lol: what, you mean playing a game then carrying their wallets?!
Kid gloves Marko, kid gloves…shhhhh! :lol:

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Thu Feb 15, 2024 11:48 pm

I wonder if the squad would simply travel on to Wales after Millwall game, train somewhere in the west and then prep for Swansea game snd not travel back to ipswich after Millwall game? It’d be daft surely to come back to Suffolk only to depart today (Thursday?) to travel to wales?

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Fri Feb 16, 2024 12:14 am

hallamblue wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2024 11:48 pm
I wonder if the squad would simply travel on to Wales after Millwall game, train somewhere in the west and then prep for Swansea game snd not travel back to ipswich after Millwall game? It’d be daft surely to come back to Suffolk only to depart today (Thursday?) to travel to wales?
It’s a valid point Liz and would make sense but I suspect they will have returned to Suffolk rather than have 3 nights away.
I think it’s most likely they’ll have returned to Suffolk late so any players requiring treatment will have gone into Portman Road late this morning. The rest of the squad may have gone in later for a team meeting to analyse last nights game and prepare for the next possibly without training. Tomorrow/Friday I expect they will have a full training session with McKenna announcing the team before they travel to Swansea after training staying overnight an hour or so away from Swansea’s ground.
I would think when they’re playing 3 games every eight days as they are now, training sessions will be minimal.
It’s certainly an interesting question and zi’d love to know the answer.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Fri Feb 16, 2024 12:33 am

If you look at the run of fixtures, starting with last nights game at Millwall we could really do with going on a run of winning games, maybe as many as 8 or 9 with dropping only an odd point between now and the end of March to give us a cushion going into a difficult April. These games are;

February Games;
Millwall (a) W 0-4
Swansea (a) W
Rotherham (h) W
Birmingham City (h) W

March Games;
Plymouth (a) D
Bristol City (h) W
Cardiff City (a) W
Sheffield Wed (h) W
Blackburn (a) W

April Games;
Southampton (h) D
Norwich (a) L
Watford (h) W
Middlesbrough (h) W
Coventry City (a) L
Hull City (a) L

May - The final game;
Huddersfield (h) W

The above predicted results would give us 95 points and a very good chance of taking 2nd place behind Leicester City, and if we could pick up anymore points in April where I’ve predicted 3 defeats we could afford to drop the same number of points in March.

Yes of course it’s a demanding set of results but with our current squad it is definitely achievable.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Fri Feb 16, 2024 2:33 am

Only 15 games left, hell there should be more somewhere but guess there's some damn international breaks along the way to split things up.

These things as always are nothing more than hypothetical. You can't plan ahead and dictate results, it all has to play out on the days in question but picking out key games from those available Southampton, NCFC, Coventry and the final event seem most pivotal. Either that or they're the toughest ones with the most pressure. Most others seem academic or really it's ours to lose.

Really is potential there for a whole load of points but it's how we stand up to each opponent that should shape our final league position. McKenna may or will play the same start formation for each and every one but so long as there's the same commitment and desire from the Millwall game and a whole lot of other times this season, it should serve us well and provide the ultimate opportunity.

For the Norwich game I'd pick 11 usernames from the Pink Un over the actual squad team they got as they're so full of themselves and treat us with derision and contempt they believe every time we play them they can take a result, they can't be beaten / we can't win etc. Would be real good to cut those (insert appropriate expletives) down to size.

rossi

Post by rossi » Fri Feb 16, 2024 10:05 am

Charnwood wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2024 12:33 am
If you look at the run of fixtures, starting with last nights game at Millwall we could really do with going on a run of winning games, maybe as many as 8 or 9 with dropping only an odd point between now and the end of March to give us a cushion going into a difficult April. These games are;

February Games;
Millwall (a) W 0-4
Swansea (a) W
Rotherham (h) W
Birmingham City (h) W

March Games;
Plymouth (a) D
Bristol City (h) W
Cardiff City (a) W
Sheffield Wed (h) W
Blackburn (a) W

April Games;
Southampton (h) D
Norwich (a) L
Watford (h) W
Middlesbrough (h) W
Coventry City (a) L
Hull City (a) L

May - The final game;
Huddersfield (h) W

The above predicted results would give us 95 points and a very good chance of taking 2nd place behind Leicester City, and if we could pick up anymore points in April where I’ve predicted 3 defeats we could afford to drop the same number of points in March.

Yes of course it’s a demanding set of results but with our current squad it is definitely achievable.
Whatever happens over the last 15 games, I'm confident that we will beat Naarwich.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Fri Feb 16, 2024 10:24 am

Aw fk no, you joking? You were confident about Leicester & Leeds. The drought vs Norwich continues. 🤦‍♂️

rossi

Post by rossi » Fri Feb 16, 2024 1:54 pm

marko69 wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2024 10:24 am
Aw fk no, you joking? You were confident about Leicester & Leeds. The drought vs Norwich continues. 🤦‍♂️
It's true I was confident about us beating Leeds - in truth I was let down badly by poor team selection and tactics.
I'm banking on KM having learned a lesson or two before we play Naaarwich.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Fri Feb 16, 2024 2:15 pm

Both Leeds & Ipswich have averaged approx 2 points a game over the season so far, Leeds with 66 points from 32 games played, Town 63 from 31. If we win our game in hand v Rotherham we would have identical points from games. Our run in is also very similar to Leeds with 10 of our last games against the same opposition as Leeds have in their final 14.

As I see it both clubs are likely to continue averaging two points a game which would see us both end the season with 92 points which would be nightmare for whichever team misses out.

The picture may well look clearer as soon as the end of February after Leeds have played Leicester City at Elland Road and Town have played the game in hand v Rotherham. If and it’s big IF, Town beat Swansea, Rotherham and Birmingham and Leeds win at Plymouth but lose at home to Leicester we could end the month 3 points clear of them, Town on 72 points, Leeds on 69. If Leeds manage to beat Leicester City, baring a massive slip up on their part I think they would be massive favourites to take the second automatic place.

I expect to see Southampton fall away especially when you look at their run in games with 7 of them against teams currently ranked 1 -9 starting with WBA (5th) away tonight. The games live on Sky tv and like many town fans I think I’ll be watching.

Whatever happens it’s going to be very interesting and hopefully exciting too.

Mauswara

Post by Mauswara » Fri Feb 16, 2024 8:04 pm

If it's getting close to end-of season predictions time then the excellent Grimsby Town site The Fishy has a nice easy league calculator you can play around with.

This links to the page with a Championship calculator: https://thefishy.co.uk/calculator0.php?competition=2

I had a go with just the top four teams and had Town finishing comfortably in second.

rossi

Post by rossi » Sat Feb 17, 2024 1:46 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2024 2:15 pm
Both Leeds & Ipswich have averaged approx 2 points a game over the season so far, Leeds with 66 points from 32 games played, Town 63 from 31. If we win our game in hand v Rotherham we would have identical points from games. Our run in is also very similar to Leeds with 10 of our last games against the same opposition as Leeds have in their final 14.

As I see it both clubs are likely to continue averaging two points a game which would see us both end the season with 92 points which would be nightmare for whichever team misses out.

The picture may well look clearer as soon as the end of February after Leeds have played Leicester City at Elland Road and Town have played the game in hand v Rotherham. If and it’s big IF, Town beat Swansea, Rotherham and Birmingham and Leeds win at Plymouth but lose at home to Leicester we could end the month 3 points clear of them, Town on 72 points, Leeds on 69. If Leeds manage to beat Leicester City, baring a massive slip up on their part I think they would be massive favourites to take the second automatic place.

I expect to see Southampton fall away especially when you look at their run in games with 7 of them against teams currently ranked 1 -9 starting with WBA (5th) away tonight. The games live on Sky tv and like many town fans I think I’ll be watching.

Yes, it could be a close run thing between us and Leeds provided that we can regain our form of the first 20 games.
I hate Leeds with a passion - harks back to the Revie era - but I have to say they're on a blinding run at the moment, they look impressive every time I see them, and I think they will have a little too much for us

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Feb 17, 2024 3:05 pm

One thing is for certain, if it is to be the play offs I would much rather meet Southampton than Leeds, also we'd have nothing to fear meeting anyone as long as we perform at our best, its down to what we do.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Feb 17, 2024 3:50 pm

rossi wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2024 1:46 pm
Charnwood wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2024 2:15 pm

Yes, it could be a close run thing between us and Leeds provided that we can regain our form of the first 20 games.
I hate Leeds with a passion - harks back to the Revie era - but I have to say they're on a blinding run at the moment, they look impressive every time I see them, and I think they will have a little too much for us
For me they have two defining games, the first when they entertain Leicester in their next game and the final game of the season when they entertain Southampton. If they win those two I think the second promotion place will be there’s.

Lose them both then the door may open for us.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Feb 17, 2024 6:21 pm

At the current rate we could have two teams in the play offs with more than 90 points and two with less than 70 points. How bizarre is that and what a shitty prospect for whichever club or clubs that misses out on promotion.

Cabanas Blue

Post by Cabanas Blue » Sat Feb 17, 2024 9:04 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2024 6:21 pm
At the current rate we could have two teams in the play offs with more than 90 points and two with less than 70 points. How bizarre is that and what a shitty prospect for whichever club or clubs that misses out on promotion.
That's why I hate the play offs a team finishing 20 points behind the third place team can go to Wembley win and even though they finished 6th they get more glory than the winners of the league, I guess its all about money unfortunately.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sat Feb 17, 2024 9:10 pm

Cabanas Blue wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2024 9:04 pm
Charnwood wrote:
That's why I hate the play offs a team finishing 20 points behind the third place team can go to Wembley win and even though they finished 6th they get more glory than the winners of the league, I guess its all about money unfortunately.
Yeah but if that 6th placed team is the one you support, it gives meaning to the rest of the season with a chance to get promotion. I love the play off model; it makes the season more entertaining.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Feb 17, 2024 9:30 pm

number 9 wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2024 9:10 pm
Cabanas Blue wrote:
Charnwood wrote:
Yeah but if that 6th placed team is the one you support, it gives meaning to the rest of the season with a chance to get promotion. I love the play off model; it makes the season more entertaining.
I’ll remind you of that if we finish 3rd or 4th on 92 points and get knocked out at a Wembley final by a team finishing 5th or 6th with 69 points. 😦🤔☹️

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sat Feb 17, 2024 9:41 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2024 9:30 pm
number 9 wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2024 9:10 pm
Cabanas Blue wrote:

I’ll remind you of that if we finish 3rd or 4th on 92 points and get knocked out at a Wembley final by a team finishing 5th or 6th with 69 points. 😦🤔☹️
Obviously I’d prefer automatic promotion, but we were in a great position to accomplish that and we blew it. So now we’ll have to go the play off route. If you can’t beat the other team in the playoffs you don’t deserve to go up, regardless of points. Just my opinion of course.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sat Feb 17, 2024 9:56 pm

Hope I don’t p*ss anyone off, but I think we all need a taste of reality. We beat Millwall 4-0 and some are jumping up and down yelling we’re still in it. Sheffield Wednesday beat Millwall 2-0 today! Then we struggle against Swansea and yes I’m happy we won but they were peppering our goal until the final minute. Leeds and Southampton have proven they can overcome their shortfalls with comfortable wins and clean sheets. If nothing else, we need to finish the season like a wild bull and take that momentum into the playoffs. If we get anymore draws or losses to lower teams, we won’t have a chance. To win promotion, it’s time to knuckle down and kick some as*!

COYB!!!!!