Championship - Ipswich Town vs Rotherham United Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Make it 3 Wins in a row?

Ipswich Win
94%
Rotherham Win
No votes
Draw
6%

Total votes: 17

Ohiotractorboy

Re: Championship - Ipswich Town vs Rotherham United Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Ohiotractorboy » Tue Feb 20, 2024 11:05 pm

Makes sense to me Todd. Don’t think we’ll catch Leicester at this point

Frosty
Forum Owner

Post by Frosty » Tue Feb 20, 2024 11:06 pm

Can't wait to ring my mate later to say we smashed 4 goals past them for an easy 3 points! :shock:

Steve

Post by Steve » Tue Feb 20, 2024 11:07 pm

Frosty wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2024 11:06 pm
Can't wait to ring my mate later to say we smashed 4 goals past them for an easy 3 points! :shock:
Was never in doubt :astroll: :astroll:

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Feb 20, 2024 11:10 pm

We may have won and scored 4 goals but we were absolute sh*te.

Steve

Post by Steve » Tue Feb 20, 2024 11:12 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2024 11:10 pm
We may have won and scored 4 goals but we were absolute sh*te.
Would say third worse game we played after Leeds and WBA away

Cabanas Blue

Post by Cabanas Blue » Tue Feb 20, 2024 11:13 pm

I just hope Clarke is OK because Axel is not the answer and and I would like to see Fridge and Burgess at the back.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Tue Feb 20, 2024 11:13 pm

I’m happy to take the win, it could have been worse. Just ask Leicester City of Southampton who both lost their last home games and we didn’t. The difference is huge.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Feb 20, 2024 11:14 pm

Worse than them for me, the opposition tonight were useless and we made them look like Barcelona.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Feb 20, 2024 11:15 pm

Cabanas Blue wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2024 11:13 pm
I just hope Clarke is OK because Axel is not the answer and and I would like to see Fridge and Burgess at the back.
Clarke looked OK at the end doing his fist pump

lucy

Post by lucy » Tue Feb 20, 2024 11:15 pm

I left at 3-3 halfway down the Stairs and we scored 4th 🤣

lucy

Post by lucy » Tue Feb 20, 2024 11:17 pm

Ohiotractorboy wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2024 11:00 pm
So, we rooting for Leicester tomorrow?
They don't play until Friday

number 9

Post by number 9 » Tue Feb 20, 2024 11:30 pm

Not the dominating display I’d hoped for, but a great display of resilience and determination to get the win. One thing is for sure, this Ipswich Town is not giving up. Yes we made the Millers look like Barcelona for periods, but…we won!

Have to say anyone who questions Wes Burns contribution to this team really doesn’t know a lot of football…I mean playing football. Not an armchair quarterback, but from the perspective of someone who’s played the game at various levels Burns is our most valuable player…in my opinion.

Remember, Rotherham have nothing to play for. They’re relegated for sure. Yet we took their indifference and fought like a wild bull. I’m very proud of my team tonight.

COYB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Tue Feb 20, 2024 11:36 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2024 11:14 pm
Worse than them for me, the opposition tonight were useless and we made them look like Barcelona.
They weren’t useless at all Mike, in fact I thought they played quite well at times being brave enough to take the game to us which caught us by surprise as we weren’t either expecting it or prepared for it.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Tue Feb 20, 2024 11:44 pm

If we’re going to get promoted sometimes you just have to win ugly and tonight was just one of those games.

Steve

Post by Steve » Tue Feb 20, 2024 11:47 pm

How many times have we scored right at end of the game?

This shows we never give up and the saying goes. To get something out of a game when not playing well. Even better when winning..

Another whisky I think

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Feb 20, 2024 11:49 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2024 11:36 pm
Bluemike wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2024 11:14 pm
They weren’t useless at all Mike, in fact I thought they played quite well at times being brave enough to take the game to us which caught us by surprise as we weren’t either expecting it or prepared for it.
We made them look decent, they are crap as their league position shows.

Blue Wilf

Post by Blue Wilf » Tue Feb 20, 2024 11:59 pm

Well that was stressful. Drawing 1-1 at Leicester felt more like a win than the 4-3 scoreline tonight! We were woeful especially at the back. Rotherham pressed us hard and we could not cope. We never settled and were second to every loose ball all night. It was like watching Ipswich of old where we get ahead and then stop playing. The game was a poor watch - even with 7 goals - stop start and no rhythm at all. The ref didn't help either with a series of poor decisions.

We simply cannot give away goals in this league as we do (week after week) and expect to get away with it. Tonight we got lucky with a get out of jail free card from Omari (I love him as a sub). Woolfy was simply hopeless all night long. Davis was poor by his standards and Hladky had a night to forget as well. Rotherham just seemed to have more fight in them than we did and out ran us.

It just seems like a strange mixed up night but I will take the 3 points. I said after Swansea that we looked tired and tonight looked very tired indeed. I hope we get some rest between now and Saturday and come back really on the ball cos if we play like that against better teams, we can forget automatics. A long way to go with lots of twists and turns but tonight we were awful - we got away with one...

Ohiotractorboy

Post by Ohiotractorboy » Wed Feb 21, 2024 12:27 am

lucy wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2024 11:17 pm
Ohiotractorboy wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2024 11:00 pm
So, we rooting for Leicester tomorrow?
They don't play until Friday
Well Lucy, when you lose what day of the week it is 🤷‍♂️. Retired life can be a mess at times
Last edited by Ohiotractorboy on Wed Feb 21, 2024 12:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Wed Feb 21, 2024 12:28 am

Looking at the table, we’ve lost the least amount of games. We’re now minus 3 on GD with Southampton 2 points ahead. Leeds have superior GD even though we’re equal on points. We have to keep winning and hope Leeds slip up. It’s the only thing we can do. If we do end up in the playoffs, I think we can beat Southampton. No more slip ups though…all wins from now until the end of the season.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Wed Feb 21, 2024 2:57 am

Got score some time after match had finished and initial reaction was missed a dandy. Kind of wish had been able to find time or inclination to take part such it were a standout event however game stats indicated although they lost they seem to have had greater chances and ball possession.

I got to give plaudits in our resilience to pick out a win such as it were. Other teams may have given up with the opposition third but this time we showed character in going forward one last time to win it. Couldn't have been easy at the stadium for our fans of a nervous disposition but in the end if we make it, all this and more would have been worth it.

Strange thing being other than seven goals on show I got reaction and suggestion the game was maybe poor and both teams struggled to make an impact or weren't up to much. Guess both defenses were something inadequate but above all just relief and pleased to have won it. Real stellar entertainment though some would argue. Rotherham are or have been a pain the as* for us over past seasons and they caused issues once again here but thing is both teams could well be separated by two divisions by time of August.

Ohiotractorboy

Post by Ohiotractorboy » Wed Feb 21, 2024 4:00 am

Just saw the highlights. What a methodical goal from Hutchinson in that point in the game with all the pressure!

On replay, it was an obvious dive to get the penalty kick, but I don’t blame the referee as it happened in real time. Over here, all scores in American football are verified by replay. It would be so easy to have penalty kicks and goals reviewed also

mendipblue

Post by mendipblue » Wed Feb 21, 2024 5:47 am

Charnwood wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2024 10:47 pm
That’s a f**king shocking decision.
Didn't see the game as I'm in Singapore, but i did say the ref was f**king useless 😒

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Wed Feb 21, 2024 6:07 am

Blue Wilf wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2024 11:59 pm
Well that was stressful. Drawing 1-1 at Leicester felt more like a win than the 4-3 scoreline tonight! We were woeful especially at the back. Rotherham pressed us hard and we could not cope. We never settled and were second to every loose ball all night. It was like watching Ipswich of old where we get ahead and then stop playing. The game was a poor watch - even with 7 goals - stop start and no rhythm at all. The ref didn't help either with a series of poor decisions.

We simply cannot give away goals in this league as we do (week after week) and expect to get away with it. Tonight we got lucky with a get out of jail free card from Omari (I love him as a sub). Woolfy was simply hopeless all night long. Davis was poor by his standards and Hladky had a night to forget as well. Rotherham just seemed to have more fight in them than we did and out ran us.

It just seems like a strange mixed up night but I will take the 3 points. I said after Swansea that we looked tired and tonight looked very tired indeed. I hope we get some rest between now and Saturday and come back really on the ball cos if we play like that against better teams, we can forget automatics. A long way to go with lots of twists and turns but tonight we were awful - we got away with one...
Could not agree more. I don't think I've seen such a stressful half of football at PR before. We managed to be 3-1 up with some well worked goals and at half time it was a case of 'will it be 5,6-1 by the end?"! I kept watching the goalkeeper launched balls coming down from the sky with a sense of dread. The moment Hladky came to punch that ball between a huddle of players I knew straight away it qas going to end up in the back of the net. I know we hear "trust the process ' but my word did it come under severe scrutiny by Rotherham last night. Credit to them, for where they are in the league, they played a blinder last night and just didn't sit back as you'd have expected!
For once Jackson came on to use his pace to help in defence more than threaten going forward.
At the end of the day it's 3 points, but we got away with one there!

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Wed Feb 21, 2024 9:09 am

Why were we allowed to make six substitutions last night, I thought the maximum was five from seven ?

Blue Wilf

Post by Blue Wilf » Wed Feb 21, 2024 9:20 am

Apparently they were allowed to because one of theirs was a head injury (when he hit the advertising boards really hard) so we were therefore also allowed to.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Wed Feb 21, 2024 9:23 am

But they only made five !

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Feb 21, 2024 9:28 am

We are in trouble for sure, there will be a points deduction coming our way, I wondered this last night when I got home, googled it and its still five permitted this season and we definitely made Six, that is a f*ck up of the highest order.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Feb 21, 2024 9:31 am

The rule is the team that makes a 6th sub forfeits the match by default

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Feb 21, 2024 9:35 am

We used four slots too and only allowed Three, only way this can be explains if one was a head injury which it wasn't, think we are screwed, f**king joke.

Cabanas Blue

Post by Cabanas Blue » Wed Feb 21, 2024 9:37 am

https://www.premierleague.com/news/1980769 also applies to EFL too Phew!! Thank goodness for that.