Championship - Ipswich Town vs Rotherham United Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Make it 3 Wins in a row?

Ipswich Win
94%
Rotherham Win
No votes
Draw
6%

Total votes: 17

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Re: Championship - Ipswich Town vs Rotherham United Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Bluemike » Wed Feb 21, 2024 3:15 pm

And yet if you search it it says the offending team forfeit the match, bit odd.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Feb 21, 2024 3:35 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2024 2:37 pm
Given point 3 above I can’t see how any football club can be penalised for breach of the 5 sub rule.
Deary me. Really? :shock: If my “club” allowed 6 subs, someone in the club would be sacked immediately. Cant have the 4th official being the guy in charge.
In fact, if my “club” had to be told by the 4th official that “you do realise, this’ll be a 6th sub” ….. people would STILL lose their jobs.
Fk me, do your jobs correctly. In this instance…… Ipswich got things bang on. Well done 👍👌👏👏👏

Dazzz67

Post by Dazzz67 » Wed Feb 21, 2024 3:36 pm

Firstly, a good result by the lads, id honestly thought we had blown that, great to see Omari put one away in response. Also great to 'Top Bun' Wes score a couple, he was great tonight.

Secondly, the defending which led to the 1st goal was pretty shocking, Woolfie and Clarke were all over the place, p*ss up and brewery come to mind, we cannot give these stupid goals away, we would of been deep in it against one bigger teams (no offence meant to Rotherham who played a really good game).

Thirdly, Hladky, he is a great goalie but a bloody liability at times, id honestly give Walton another crack in goal. That missed punch was abysmal, and then he claimed to of hurt his shoulder/are as a result, not falling for that one matey.

We are hitting good form, as KM has said, to win 3 hard games in such a short space a time is demanding and hats off to them, hope they get some rest which they fully deserve.

Finally, was that really a penalty given away by KJ? did not look a lot in it and a tad soft in my eyes.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Feb 21, 2024 4:12 pm

Walton looked like a Pantomime character for the two Deportivo La Maidstone goals.

Actually, thats unfair....., their first was EPL style, but the second?

As Hanky ain't a robot, I'd let the mistimed punch slide.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Wed Feb 21, 2024 4:26 pm

marko69 wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2024 4:12 pm
Walton looked like a Pantomime character for the two Deportivo La Maidstone goals.

If you watch the replay closely, Hladky pulled his fist back at the last second because he knew Woolfy would head the ball to safety. :lol:

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Feb 21, 2024 4:30 pm

For me Hladky has Been an absolute rock, Walton cannot play the style we play, he was far from faultless last season at a lower level, just look back at a few games, Charlton being a prime example. I'd be happy for him to move on in the summer tbh.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Feb 21, 2024 4:30 pm

number 9 wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2024 4:26 pm
marko69 wrote:

If you watch the replay closely, Hladky pulled his fist back at the last second because he knew Woolfy would head the ball to safety. :lol:
Not sure if you're joking but there probably some truth in that.

Dazzz67

Post by Dazzz67 » Wed Feb 21, 2024 5:03 pm

I can understand what you saying about Hladky but why was he so far off his line in the first place? If he had left it to the defenders and it went wrong he would of been in a decent position to of saved it, came charging out.

Yes he has been good, I agree, but him and our defence together are conceding too many stupid goals, a lot of that is down to style of play but they have got to find away around this. I am obviously not an expert so hoping KM & his posse get something sorted.

rossi

Post by rossi » Wed Feb 21, 2024 6:04 pm

Ricco wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2024 11:53 am
rossi wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2024 10:16 am
My opinion on WB is that he does well when we play the lower teams who primarily have mainly L1 level players
Could be wrong Rossi, but to me it has always felt like you watched a few games where he didn't play well, you made your mind up on him and now you watch him through turd tinted glasses, where every good bit of work he does is luck and every bad bit epitomises him.

He's not got the technical quality of a few of the players around him, but go and watch the highlights of the game yesterday, he was evolved in everything going forward before he was subbed, 1 assist, 2 goals and could have had 3 or 4 himself. He's hit some excellent form this calendar year and really seems to have a lot more drive going forward and fire in his belly than I've ever seen from him.

Will/does he do it every game, nope definitely not, but neither do Broadhead or Chaplin etc, and other than the odd mention that they've had a quiet game or two, or they're out of form, they don't really get fundamentally criticised unlike Burns.
Yeah, you're wrong on this :) . Mike will, I'm sure, confirm that I voiced concerns about his ability when we signed him and before he had played for us.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Feb 21, 2024 7:04 pm

You definitely did, he was our first signing and you said you was hugely underwhelmed and if that was the level of signing we could expect we would struggle.

On a serious note Gary, do you think that initial feeling could play a part in why you are not overly keen on Wes and see him in a,different light to most ?

Blue Wilf

Post by Blue Wilf » Wed Feb 21, 2024 7:43 pm

I just did the season calculator on TWTD and thought I had been pretty fair but ended up with us 5 points clear of 3rd place! 😳 I thought I had been quite conservative with my predictions so lets hope...!

Steve

Post by Steve » Wed Feb 21, 2024 7:46 pm

I bet most teams in the championship wished their players were as bad as Burns then

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Feb 21, 2024 7:52 pm

At the end of the day, it is all about opinions and we can agree or disagree and that's about it. No harm done. If we use 3 of Rossi's opinions as an example....., (not attacking, so calm down)......, he reckons Burns isn't very good, Ipswich failing to get promoted would rest "SQUARELY" on Kieron, and Ipswich will win @ Carrow Road. ....., I agree with one of those opinions and that streak will end in Norwich. All good.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Wed Feb 21, 2024 8:53 pm

Blue Wilf wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2024 7:43 pm
I just did the season calculator on TWTD and thought I had been pretty fair but ended up with us 5 points clear of 3rd place! 😳 I thought I had been quite conservative with my predictions so lets hope...!
Drinks are on you BW if you're right :lol:

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Wed Feb 21, 2024 9:00 pm

number 9 wrote:
marko69 wrote:

Your argument fell apart with your final few words unfortunately :lol:

number 9

Post by number 9 » Wed Feb 21, 2024 9:14 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2024 9:00 pm
number 9 wrote:
marko69 wrote:

Your argument fell apart with your final few words unfortunately :lol:
:wink:

rossi

Post by rossi » Thu Feb 22, 2024 10:04 am

Bluemike wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2024 7:04 pm
You definitely did, he was our first signing and you said you was hugely underwhelmed and if that was the level of signing we could expect we would struggle.

On a serious note Gary, do you think that initial feeling could play a part in why you are not overly keen on Wes and see him in a,different light to most ?
The initial feeling I had was based on what I had seen of him plus the opinion of a good mate of mine who is a Fleetwood supporter. However, I like to think that I'm man enough to change my opinion of anything if given sufficient reason to do so.
As far as Wes is concerned - yes, he can be deadly when he runs at players and takes them off (although his final ball needs a lot of improvement): but he doesn't do it consistently, he never has done. I think it's almost a mental thing with him - against the lesser defenders he is full of confidence and prepared to take them on, but against the better defenders he never seems to try, rather be content to pass the ball sideways or backwards - that's a confidence thing I think. But whatever, for me to change my opinion of him (and it is just my opinion by the way) he needs to be doing the good things he can do far more consistently.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Feb 22, 2024 10:15 am

Yep fair enough, by his own admission only this week he said he needs to improve his assist count as its not been good enough.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Thu Feb 22, 2024 10:16 am

So to sum up……. Ipswich need to be possibly in League Two before you’ll rate him as you were slating him in L1.
Got to hope you NEVER like the guys play then! :lol:

rossi

Post by rossi » Thu Feb 22, 2024 2:06 pm

marko69 wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2024 10:16 am
So to sum up……. Ipswich need to be possibly in League Two before you’ll rate him as you were slating him in L1.
Got to hope you NEVER like the guys play then! :lol:
To be sure, that's just about the worst summing up I've ever heard - just don't give up your day job and become a judge :wink:

It has nothing to do with what League we play in - just be consistent in the good side of his game and my opinion is sure to change - he never managed that in L1 and hasn't so far in the Championship

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Thu Feb 22, 2024 2:20 pm

Yes, you are correct. My actual summing up was “man-bun-hatred” …., but changed it to , as YOU said, the quality of the opposition.
Was all a joke really at the start as I couldn’t really see what you were seeing , and so “Man bun”.
But he’s your Joe Tortolano. Not a bad player, but way too inconsistent, in your opinion.

valleyroad

Post by valleyroad » Thu Feb 22, 2024 4:13 pm

rossi wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2024 10:04 am
Bluemike wrote:

The initial feeling I had was based on what I had seen of him plus the opinion of a good mate of mine who is a Fleetwood supporter. However, I like to think that I'm man enough to change my opinion of anything if given sufficient reason to do so.
As far as Wes is concerned - yes, he can be deadly when he runs at players and takes them off (although his final ball needs a lot of improvement): but he doesn't do it consistently, he never has done. I think it's almost a mental thing with him - against the lesser defenders he is full of confidence and prepared to take them on, but against the better defenders he never seems to try, rather be content to pass the ball sideways or backwards - that's a confidence thing I think. But whatever, for me to change my opinion of him (and it is just my opinion by the way) he needs to be doing the good things he can do far more consistently.
So the guy is in a team who are 3rd in the Championship with a shout of an automatic promotion place. He is in the Wales squad. His is picked consistently by probably one of the current hottest young coaches in Europe, who you wanted sacked last year. I'm wondering what he has to do for you to admit you may have just got this wrong at some point. Seems like you have a case of dog and bone tendencies ?

Passing sideways and backwards if fine for maintaining possession when nothing is on. The best teams and players do that its not all about going forward regardless.

From what i have seen of Ipswich this season and its quite a bit, Burns always looks up for taking on full backs whatever the team. More than decent player at Championship level.

I would agree with you though that on occasions his final ball needs to be better, but i can live with that and say he is a more than decent player at Championship level

rossi

Post by rossi » Thu Feb 22, 2024 6:13 pm

valleyroad wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2024 4:13 pm
rossi wrote:
Bluemike wrote:

So the guy is in a team who are 3rd in the Championship with a shout of an automatic promotion place. He is in the Wales squad. His is picked consistently by probably one of the current hottest young coaches in Europe, who you wanted sacked last year. I'm wondering what he has to do for you to admit you may have just got this wrong at some point. Seems like you have a case of dog and bone tendencies ?

Passing sideways and backwards if fine for maintaining possession when nothing is on. The best teams and players do that its not all about going forward regardless.

From what i have seen of Ipswich this season and its quite a bit, Burns always looks up for taking on full backs whatever the team. More than decent player at Championship level.

I would agree with you though that on occasions his final ball needs to be better, but i can live with that and say he is a more than decent player at Championship level
If you think he's a decent player at this level then fine - its' your opinion and one I respect (although I'm not sure how good a judge you may be considering how few games you get to watch).

But I don't - end of conversation

valleyroad

Post by valleyroad » Thu Feb 22, 2024 7:08 pm

rossi wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2024 6:13 pm
valleyroad wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2024 4:13 pm
rossi wrote:

If you think he's a decent player at this level then fine - its' your opinion and one I respect (although I'm not sure how good a judge you may be considering how few games you get to watch).

But I don't - end of conversation
Getting to see a lot of matches this season due to sky coverage. Also watch the highlights of other matches, so not too bad but I guess its not the same as going on a regular basis which I agree gives a better picture of a player.
What i would say though is that Burns is not good enough for Premiership as its much of the Town side, so will needs a whole lot of investment to stay up.
Burnley walked the Championship last season and looked a better side than Town, also had a manager who was being quoted for big things, that has went a bit quiet this season !
I don't think Town will go up in the end but really hoping i'm wrong on that

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Feb 24, 2024 11:47 am