Mogga. Best of luck

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

trimleyblue
Global Moderator

Mogga. Best of luck

Post by trimleyblue » Mon Feb 19, 2024 12:40 pm

Mowbray temporarily steps away as Birmingham boss - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/68337554

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Re: Mogga. Best of luck

Post by Bluemike » Mon Feb 19, 2024 1:09 pm

That's sad to see, hopefully nothing serious, we play them Saturday too, he's definitely improved them.

Cabanas Blue

Post by Cabanas Blue » Mon Feb 19, 2024 2:43 pm

Let's hope for a speedy recovery we wish him well.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Mon Feb 19, 2024 3:16 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2024 1:09 pm
That's sad to see, hopefully nothing serious, we play them Saturday too, he's definitely improved them.
Let’s hope they miss him on Saturday because as you say he’s made a huge difference to their confidence and results. One of my town favourites who I will never forget especially after one of the play off semi’s at Portman Road when he took me and my missus and Charlie Woods out for dinner and give me a signed copy of his book “Kissed by an Angel” which tells the tragic story of losing his first wife to cancer. A true gent who I hope will have a very speedy recovery from whatever it is which is likely to keep him away from football for 6-8 weeks.

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Mon Feb 19, 2024 3:40 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2024 3:16 pm
Bluemike wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2024 1:09 pm
Let’s hope they miss him on Saturday because as you say he’s made a huge difference to their confidence and results. One of my town favourites who I will never forget after one of the play off semi’s at Portman Road took me and my missus and Charlie Wood out for dinner and give me a signed copy of his book “Kissed by an Angel” which tells the tragic story of losing his first wife to cancer. A true gent who I hope will have a very speedy recovery from whatever it is which is likely to keep him away from football for 6-8 weeks.
Charny, your comment about him being a true gent exactly matches from what I’ve heard from somebody who is a good friend of his.
Hopefully, it turns out to be nothing serious and as you say he makes a speedy recovery.
Get well soon Mogga!

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Feb 19, 2024 4:21 pm

Get well soon, Mogga. 👍

He is indeed a true gent. He, and all the Hibs players did a calendar signing one Christmas. Queue was right around the stadium and eventually into the Famous Five suite.
My daughter was extremely smitten with Scott Brown, who was sitting next to Mogga at the table.
She says something along the lines of, “Love you Scott, I think you’re fantastic.”
Mogga cuts in, “Don’t make his “heid” any bigger than it already is!” (Putting on the Scottish accent for head etc etc) :lol:

🙏 for a full recovery.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Mon Feb 19, 2024 6:36 pm

Yes I've seen this. He would undoubtedly have been given a very warm welcome from the fans. I hope the fans sing his name even if he isnt there.

Get well soon Mogga, you're a top bloke.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Mon Feb 19, 2024 6:49 pm

We still have an ex Town player as caretaker manager for the Birmingham match as Mogga’s assistant manager is former defender Mark Venus who spent 6yrs at Portman Road 1997-2003.

Cabanas Blue

Post by Cabanas Blue » Mon Feb 19, 2024 8:48 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2024 6:49 pm
We still have an ex Town player as caretaker manager for the Birmingham match as Mogga’s assistant manager is former defender Mark Venus who spent 6yrs at Portman Road 1997-2003.
Mark is a nice bloke I spoke to often when he was at Ipswich he would come into a shop that I worked in, I won't say what shop it was but I never saw Toney there 🤔😂😂

number 9

Post by number 9 » Mon Feb 19, 2024 9:01 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2024 6:49 pm
Mark Venus was a solid defender for us, and if I recall correctly he had a wicked shot.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Mar 20, 2024 11:14 am

Birmingham City have confirmed that Blues legend Tony Mowbray is taking a formal leave of absence until the start of pre-season ahead of 2024/25 with Gary Rowett coming in as interim-manager.

Former Town skipper and coach Mowbray stepped away from his role as boss at St Andrew’s a month ago in order to undergo unspecified medical treatment.

His assistant, another Blues legend, Mark Venus, took over but now, with the Midlanders fourth-bottom of the Championship and out of the relegation zone on goal difference alone, the decision has been made to bring in Rowett, who was previously in charge at Birmingham between 2014 and 2016.

A club statement reads: “Birmingham City Football Club can confirm that manager Tony Mowbray will take a formal medical leave of absence until the start of pre-season 2024/25.

“The club has appointed interim-manager, Gary Rowett with immediate effect for the remaining eight games of the Sky Bet Championship season.

“Rowett has significant managerial experience in the division and previously managed Birmingham from October 2014 to December 2016.

“The decision was taken to act at the beginning of the international break by the board and leadership team in conjunction with Mowbray who played a role in the identification of Rowett as the right manager to take the team forward till the end of the season.

“The medical leave of absence will allow Mowbray to focus 100 per cent on being with his family and making a full recovery following his recent health challenges.

“Assistant manager Mark Venus will also take a leave of absence with immediate effect and rejoin the club at the same time as Mowbray.

“First-team coaches Ashley Cole and Peter Shuttleworth and goalkeeper-coach Maik Taylor will remain at the club as part of Rowett’s coaching staff.”

Birmingham co-owner and chairman Tom Wagner said: “The board and club leadership fully support Tony’s decision to take time to focus on his health and his family.

“We continue to wish Tony and his family the very best. Based on Tony’s decision to take some additional time away, we agreed it is in the club’s best interests to appoint Gary Rowett to lead the team forward from the touchline for the final eight games of the season. Gary is an experienced leader and has our full support.”

CEO Garry Cook added: “The team is in a challenging position. A strong leader is needed to guide the players through to the end of the season.

“Tony wanted to be part of the solution, so together we agreed to identify an interim-manager. Gary Rowett was the number one choice.

“We are pleased to welcome Gary back to Blues. He has the necessary experience and the requisite passion for the club and our loyal fans. Gary will be provided all the support needed to keep the club in the Sky Bet Championship.”

He continued: “We all look forward to welcoming Tony and Mark back to the club before the start of next season and continue to wish Tony a speedy recovery.”

Speaking last week, Venus said Mowbray was doing well having undergone surgery just prior to Birmingham’s 3-1 defeat at Portman Road late last month.

“He's making good progress and we can't get him back quick enough,” he said. “He's making good progress and hopefully he'll be back in the future. There's no timeframe.

“I'm not sure how to describe it but we've missed him immensely, enormously. He is a leader and a motivator and a driver.

“I think undoubtedly when you have someone like that at the front, you miss him. I'm giving it my best shot.”

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Mar 20, 2024 11:40 am

Whatever it is that is keeping you away, Tony, keep on “getting well soon”. 🙏
————————-

I know its all a very personal thing, but sometimes you are itching to know what the issue is.

A band member in one of my favourite bands had posted on the band website that he was sitting out for a whole year for medical reasons.
Instantly you think, “oh no, it’s a cancer”…… but it was congestive heart disease which he had the full quadruple heart bypass op and is still on his recovery term.

Human nature to wonder what the hell is going on. Saw that band for the first time in 84 when i was 15/16 years old. Grew up with them.
They’re not allowed to get sick! 🤦‍♂️ :lol:

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Mar 20, 2024 1:05 pm

Guy who stands in front of Hallam & I reckons he heard it was cancer related but then again you hear so much drivel it's hard to know what to believe. Either way here's hoping for a speedy recovery whatever it is.