The Title Run In..........

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

number 9

Re: The Title Run In..........

Post by number 9 » Mon Mar 11, 2024 3:49 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2024 9:50 am
I’ve not given up on us yet Mike and if it is by the play offs so be it. Just gutted if it is by the Play Offs as I’ll be 6,100 miles away in Los Angeles and will miss my first major Town game played within my lifetime which includes Town v Aston Villa in 1962 to win the League Championship, Town v Arsenal in 1978 to win the FA Cup, AZ Alkmaar v Town (home and away) to win the UEFA Cup and the Wembley Play Off Final v Barnsley in 2000 to win our last promotion to the Premier League.

If it comes to it Mike I’m sure I’ll be able to watch it on tv even with a 9hr time difference, but it’s never the same as being there as I’m sure you realise this season with missing our away games after all those seasons travelling to sh*t hole grounds watching some utter dross.

I guess I need to keep praying we can still grab one of those automatic places. 🙏🙏🙏
If it comes to the playoffs and you are in the U.S., ESPN+ will probably be the network streaming the matches. Just letting you know.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Mon Mar 11, 2024 6:55 pm

number 9 wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2024 3:49 pm
Charnwood wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2024 9:50 am
I’ve not given up on us yet Mike and if it is by the play offs so be it. Just gutted if it is by the Play Offs as I’ll be 6,100 miles away in Los Angeles and will miss my first major Town game played within my lifetime which includes Town v Aston Villa in 1962 to win the League Championship, Town v Arsenal in 1978 to win the FA Cup, AZ Alkmaar v Town (home and away) to win the UEFA Cup and the Wembley Play Off Final v Barnsley in 2000 to win our last promotion to the Premier League.

If it comes to it Mike I’m sure I’ll be able to watch it on tv even with a 9hr time difference, but it’s never the same as being there as I’m sure you realise this season with missing our away games after all those seasons travelling to sh*t hole grounds watching some utter dross.

I guess I need to keep praying we can still grab one of those automatic places. 🙏🙏🙏
If it comes to the playoffs and you are in the U.S., ESPN+ will probably be the network streaming the matches. Just letting you know.
Thanx 9 👍

JohnnyB

Post by JohnnyB » Sun Mar 17, 2024 5:59 pm

Well a bit much to hope the wall would do anything at Elland Road. So Leeds go top and probably fancy their chances of staying there.

However, good Friday =

Bristol C v Leicester
Blackburn v Town
Watford v Leeds

I would say we have the easiest game of the three. If we win and the other two don't it'll be our turn to top the table

number 9

Post by number 9 » Wed Mar 20, 2024 1:27 pm

I think Bristol City could very well be the toughest match, especially when you consider the extra games Leicester have played. I don't think Blackburn will be easy...possibly a draw, but hopefully Travis will share some intel. I can see Leeds taking care of Watford.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Wed Mar 20, 2024 2:58 pm

What we can’t afford to do is lose ground on either Leicester or Leeds. Whatever they do we need to match until we get an opportunity to make a gain. This definitely isn’t going to be easy.

Denny61

Post by Denny61 » Thu Mar 21, 2024 8:47 am

I think playing Blackburn Southampton and Norwich in nxt 3 games can allow us to play with less nervousness than them and not be afraid to go for it and play a more attacking game. More so with 1st and third as Blackburn face relegation in to a league which can not be easy get our off and budgies know a slip up of any kind will allow up to 3 or 4 teams either pass them out or get too close and thus making that place in the play offs harder to hold on to ..so we should feel more freer to play out game as we have the play off place guaranteed and in a way its a Free hit for autos .and there I say it ..same with Hull and Coventry..

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Thu Mar 21, 2024 12:06 pm

Are there any “a buddy of mine” types on here?
“Don’t care!! As long as we beat Norwich!”

He’s actually a jambo. Buys a season ticket for the 4 games v Hibs. 🤦‍♂️
“You think Hearts will finish 3rd?”
“Don't care. As long as we’re not relegated and we beat Hibs!” :lol:

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Mar 21, 2024 1:54 pm

I would take promotion over a win against the scummers every time.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Thu Mar 21, 2024 3:44 pm

Guaranteed.
Along with that, would be great to get that “run” halted though.

Back in the 80s/90s , there was a 22 game run by one of the Edinburgh teams. Their song, (when it went to 21) was something about running out of fingers & toes! 🤦‍♂️ (to count up the wins…… for those who don’t get that!!)
Irritating at the time.

But i suppose, Ipswich have more time on their hands……. As im told there are more fingers & toes in Norfolk!

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Thu Mar 21, 2024 5:13 pm

Just been looking at Coventry’s run in compared with ours. With them reaching the FA Cup Semi final they now have 4 games to play over the 10 days 20 April to 30 April starting with the Cup SF v Manchester United and ending at Portman Road. This compares with our 3 fixtures over 17 days between 13 April and 30 April. I think this should give us a huge advantage. The match will also be shown on Sky tv which should put another £110k into the kitty.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Thu Mar 21, 2024 5:15 pm

marko69 wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2024 3:44 pm
Guaranteed.
Along with that, would be great to get that “run” halted though.

Back in the 80s/90s , there was a 22 game run by one of the Edinburgh teams. Their song, (when it went to 21) was something about running out of fingers & toes! 🤦‍♂️ (to count up the wins…… for those who don’t get that!!)
Irritating at the time.

But i suppose, Ipswich have more time on their hands……. As im told there are more fingers & toes in Norfolk!

Some have four some have six, a consequence of interbreeding so I’ve read. 🤣

mendipblue

Post by mendipblue » Fri Mar 22, 2024 1:16 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2024 5:13 pm
Just been looking at Coventry’s run in compared with ours. With them reaching the FA Cup Semi final they now have 4 games to play over the 10 days 20 April to 30 April starting with the Cup SF v Manchester United and ending at Portman Road. This compares with our 3 fixtures over 17 days between 13 April and 30 April. I think this should give us a huge advantage. The match will also be shown on Sky tv which should put another £110k into the kitty.
It's not at Portman Road? Its at Coventry's ground.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Fri Mar 22, 2024 3:32 pm

Leicester going to be, or have, dropped points for breach of FFP regulations. Not sure of all wrongdoings there but seems they've been up to no good and thought they could maybe get away with something they shouldn't. Only problem being this doesn't come into effect until next season when they'll likely be an EPL club name and any punishment only then becomes effective once they're elevated into the top tier.

This isn't of great benefit to us right now. It would be mighty fine if they could be dropped points here and now for their indiscretions and would aid us immensely in the Championship League but the damn thing isn't much good if or when it's imposed at a later time and in a different league. It would be real ironic if they messed up in what games they got remaining this season and missed out on promotion. There's your punishment, there's your justice.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Fri Mar 22, 2024 3:39 pm

mendipblue wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2024 1:16 pm
Charnwood wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2024 5:13 pm
It's not at Portman Road? Its at Coventry's ground.
Mmmm, playing at the CBS Arena will no doubt make it marginally more difficult than playing at Portman Road and of course we miss out the £110k fee. Coventrys percentage of home wins is very similar to games played away but at home if they don’t win they’re more likely to draw rather than lose. Given their fixture congestion I think we still have an advantage, hopefully a win but worst case scenario a draw. Just hope by then we’re still in with a chance of one of the automatic places and not fallen out of the contest.

JohnnyB

Post by JohnnyB » Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:32 pm

Epic day in the auto race today over 10 odd hours

My predictions:

Brizzle 1 Leicester 1
SouthH 2 boro 0
Bburn 0 Town 3
Watford 1 Leeds 2

Now let's see how wrong I'll be...

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:00 pm

I’ll go;

Bristol City 0 - 2 Leicester
Southampton 3 - 2 Middlesbrough
Blackburn 1 - 2 Town
Watford 1 Leeds 2

I think our best chance of making any progress today will be by Leicester dropping points at Bristol City but for that to happen The Robins will need to replicate the sort of form they displayed a month or so ago when they beat Southampton 3-1. Since then they’ve been struggling to score especially at home where they’ve lost 0-1 to both QPR and Cardiff and won 1-0 against Swansea.

Everything suggests a Leicester win to Nil and I certainly can’t see a Leeds dropping any points having picked up 37 from a possible 39 in their last 13 games, if they do that will be a surprise.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:06 pm

TBH given today’s fixtures I’ll be happy just not to concede any ground today.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:13 pm

Bristol City absolutely battering Leicester but just can’t score. Still 0-0 after 40 mins, we can only guess what’s coming next, surely not.

Bristol have had more shots on goal in the first half than in any game so far this season. Maybe they can do us a massive favour. Furthermore they should have had a penalty which was wrongly denied by the referee who was poorly placed and missed the foul, lucky lucky Leicester who surely can’t be this bad in the second half.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:14 pm

OMG what a goal from Bristol City, ⚽️⚽️⚽️⚽️

What a wonderful strike that was, surely not, woe I thought we were in for a second 👏👏👏

lucy

Post by lucy » Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:14 pm

2 minutes left and 1-0 to Bristol City

Denny61

Post by Denny61 » Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:19 pm

This result will mean diddly squat if we don't win today

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:26 pm

What a performance by the Bristol goalkeeper O’Leary, we should pay him a bonus after that display especially his two saves from Jamie Vardy’s shots and his double save. Without him Leicester would have won comfortably.

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:30 pm

Leicester 5 losses in last 8. The same as Ipswich all season!!

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:35 pm

Denny61 wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:19 pm
This result will mean diddly squat if we don't win today
I know what you’re saying but today’s results won’t define any teams season. At this time of the seasons when the pressure is on and games come thick and fast results won’t be very predictable.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:56 pm

Leeds look nailed on for one of the automatic places and the other between ourselves and Leicester. Southampton haven’t ruled themselves out although if they as achieve it, it really will be against the odds given the difficulty of their fixtures which include games against Leicester Leeds and Town. That said their chances have just slipped as Middlesbrough have just dealt a devastating blow equalising at St Mary’s in the 90th min to draw level 1-1. Southampton only have themselves to blame with so many chances to have put the game to bed long before the equaliser. It’s just serves to show how important it is to put chances away.
Well that’s the final whistle Soton 1-1 Boro, but a great game to have watched.

BLUEBLOOD

Post by BLUEBLOOD » Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:59 pm

COYB Win and we go 1st till Leeds play at 8pm

JohnnyB

Post by JohnnyB » Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:27 pm

JohnnyB wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:32 pm
Epic day in the auto race today over 10 odd hours

My predictions:

Brizzle 1 Leicester 1
SouthH 2 boro 0
Bburn 0 Town 3
Watford 1 Leeds 2

Now let's see how wrong I'll be...
Delighted to be wrong so far...

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:00 pm

Leeds now fairly short favourites to win the league ahead of Leicester. No real surprise, but on the other hand, pretty mind blowing.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:33 pm

OMG now Watford take the lead 1 v 0 Leeds ⚽️

Could this just be our day 🤞🤞🤞

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:40 pm

Brilliant equaliser scored by Summerville for Leeds. Must be a candidate for Goal of the month. ⚽️