The Title Run In..........

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Bluemike
Global Moderator

The Title Run In..........

Post by Bluemike » Sat Feb 24, 2024 11:09 am

I know it is a case of taking One game at a time and see where it takes us but it's still fun to look at the run in for the Four Promotion contenders and see what we all think, so here it is.......

Leicester City

QPR (H) L 1-2
Sunderland (A) W 1-0 (3 points)
Hull City (A) D 2-2 (4 points)
Southampton (H) P-P
Bristol City (A) L 1-0
Norwich City (H) W 3-1 (7 points)
Birmingham City (H) W 2-1 (10 points) from 18 max 1.67 avg
Millwall (A) L- 1-0 (10 points) … 1.43 points per game avg.
Plymouth Argyle (A) L 1-0 (10 points) … 1.25 point pg avg.
WBA (H)
Southampton (H)
Preston (A)
Blackburn Rovers (H)

Leeds United

Huddersfield (A) D 1-1 (1 point)
Stoke City (H) W 1-0 (4 points)
Sheffield Weds (A) W 0-2 (7 points)
Millwall (H) W 2-0 (10 points)
Watford (A) D 2-2 (11 points)
Hull City (H) W 1-0 (14 points)
Coventry City (A) L 2-1 (14 points from 21 max - 2 pts pg avg)
Sunderland (H) D 0-0 (15 points) …1.875 points per game avg
Blackburn Rovers (H) L 0-1 (15 points) …1.875 pts pg avg)
Middlesbrough (A)
QPR (A)
Southampton (H)

Ipswich Town

Birmingham City (H) W 3-1 (3 points)
Plymouth Argyle (A) W 2-0. (6 points)
Bristol City (H) W 3-2 (9 points)
Cardiff City (A) L 2-1 (9 points)
Sheffield Weds (H) W 6-0 (12 points)
Blackburn Rovers (A) W 0-1 (15 points)
Southampton (H) W 3-2 (18 points)
Norwich City (A) L 1-0 (18 points from 24 max - 2.25 pts avg)
Watford (H) D 0-0 (19 points from 27 max. - 2.11 pts pg avg)
Middlesbrough (H) D 1-1 (20 points 30 max - 2.00 pts pg avg)
Coventry City (A)
Hull City (A)
Huddersfield (H)

Southampton

Millwall (H) L-1 v 2
Birmingham City (A) W 4-3 (3 points)
Preston (H) P-P
Sunderland (H) W 4-2 (6 points)
Leicester City (A) P-P
Middlesbrough (H) D 1-1 (7 points)
Ipswich Town (A) L 3-2
Blackburn (A) D 0-0 (8 points from 18 max 1.33 pts pg avg.)
Coventry City (H) W 2-1 (11 pts from 21 max 1.57 pts pg avg
Watford (H) W 3-2 (14 pts from 24 max 1.75 ppg avg)
Preston (H) W 3-0 (17pts from 27 max 1.89 ppg avg.)
Cardiff City (A)
Leicester (A)
Stoke City (H)
Leeds Utd (A)

Looking at these Fixtures is why I believe we are far from out of this, we have Seven Home games that with the exception of Southampton maybe all look very winnable, away from home is tricky and at least Three wins will be required.

Leeds for me look home and hosed with those fixtures which is why I think a Leicester defeat last night was a decent result for us when you look at their run in, they have some very tough away games to come and are running into a bit of a dip results wise, I also think Southampton look to have some banana skins in there too and they too are now getting found out.

We really aren't out of this as long as we do what we are capable of against teams we know we can beat, no more poor displays like we saw against Rotherham though or it will be curtains for top Two.

Everthing to play for........

Oh yes, ONE GAME AT A TIME.

Cabanas Blue

Re: The Title Run In..........

Post by Cabanas Blue » Sat Feb 24, 2024 12:05 pm

I agree Mike as long as we can keep winning I think we still have a good chance, I didn't watch last night but after seeing the highlights on Sky, Leicester should have scored 5 and the goal that got ruled out was onside so with two defeats hopefully that will dent there confidence, plus Leeds away from is not great 6 defeats so we have hope, saying that I expect Leeds will get automatic promotion.

lucy

Post by lucy » Sat Feb 24, 2024 12:47 pm

I'd say our next 6 games are the ones we need to be winning and getting 18 Points. Then Southampton and Norwich which could be tricky. But our last 5 Games is a very nice run in.

I still think it could go to the Final Day when Leeds have to play Southampton.

JohnnyB

Post by JohnnyB » Sat Feb 24, 2024 12:50 pm

Looking at the next 4 games, I would say Leeds have the easiest, followed by Southampton, then Town. Leicester have a really tough little run of games coming up.

So... let's see where we are, but by the end of March, Leeds could be putting Leicester under serous pressure for the title, with ourselves and Hampton breathing down both their necks.

As said by many, we just have to keep winning. I said after the West Brom game the opportunity was there for a nice winning run and so far so good 🤞🤞🤞

Cabanas Blue

Post by Cabanas Blue » Sat Feb 24, 2024 1:07 pm

They just said on Sky sports that Celtic were 8 points ahead of Rangers at the end of 23 it just shows anything can happen. COYB.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Feb 24, 2024 1:20 pm

What a great thread.

My tuppence ha'penny worth......, Leicester's last 6 games says to me that they will win the league.

But as said by most; Ipswich just need to keep thinking about "the next game" and ticking off the fixtures. (Without ticking off the fans)

Really big game today at Portman Road. KAAAAAM AN, YOU MIGHTY SO'FK BLUES.

shabba

Post by shabba » Sun Feb 25, 2024 1:56 pm

Great post Mike.

Some very surprising results yesterday- my dad said at this time of year you can’t discount the teams fighting for their safety as easy games, so we need to factor that in.

It’s going to be some rollercoaster!

Brian Hamilton said he thinks we will be play offs, but Mickey Stockwell thinks top 2! I think we may just kiss out due to that run in April but let’s see! COYB

JohnnyB

Post by JohnnyB » Sun Feb 25, 2024 4:27 pm

I think if we're honest we are third favourites for a top two slot. I know things can change and unexpected results happen, but the facts are our resources are thinner (and probably our run-in is a bit harder) than Leeds' and Leicester's. IMO Southampton are in it too but we're more likely. Fifth place downwards are surely not worth considering.

What we have though is a remarkable manager and a squad with incredible spirit. Will it be enough? It depends on four things, three of which must happen for us to go up automatically.

- we grind out (or cruise to) decent points in most if not all of our remaining games (home wins, at least 10 points from 18 in 6 aways - that would be an insane 100 points!)
- Leeds let a few unexpected points slip
- Leicester have a bit of a collapse
- Southampton don't win practically every game until the season's end

Dubai Blue

Post by Dubai Blue » Sun Feb 25, 2024 4:46 pm

I think it's important that we win our game against Southampton because it will be a marker for IMO the most likely play off final.

Having said that, IF we can keep pace with Leeds for the rest of the games, then maybe we go up automatic with Leicester as PO winners.

valleyroad

Post by valleyroad » Sun Feb 25, 2024 4:46 pm

Leicester and Leeds will be top 2. Best 2 sides in the league. Leicester aren't wobbling imo, they played Boro off the park and got suckered. 100% deserved a point against Leeds. Ipswich and Shouthampton will be in play offs imo.
Also NO games are easy now. The bottom of the league is really tight and all these sides are battling for survival, others for play off place.
For me Town are short quality wise for top 2 and it will show. Have great chance via play offs but its a lottery. If Town go up they are way short for Premiership and huge amount of work will need to be done to stay up.
Would be interesting to see if McKenna shapes up at Premiership level as Kompany was being touted as Man City manager not so long ago !!

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Sun Feb 25, 2024 8:09 pm

Would be fun to play Blackburn away as final game as it would tie in well from 30 years back. Got a result back then that proved celebrations but Huddersfield at PR may just bring similar scenes.

Looked through respective games remaining and picked out Leeds as probably having the easiest run-in over other challengers. We got a number of winnable games ourselves but as always it's all hypothetical and you can't make judgments before anything's really decided or played out.

Taking three points from Southampton will be pivotal for us towards a final reward but there's a number of tricky opposition names where you'd ordinarily expect us to win but the propensity is more than there to slip up or drop points. We have consistency back now after a poor run of scores, you maintain that for the most part with the games we got remaining (and) we'll have a real good chance of making it. It really is that straight-forward.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Feb 25, 2024 9:26 pm

valleyroad wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2024 4:46 pm
Leicester and Leeds will be top 2. Best 2 sides in the league. Leicester aren't wobbling imo, they played Boro off the park and got suckered. 100% deserved a point against Leeds. Ipswich and Shouthampton will be in play offs imo.
Also NO games are easy now. The bottom of the league is really tight and all these sides are battling for survival, others for play off place.
For me Town are short quality wise for top 2 and it will show. Have great chance via play offs but its a lottery. If Town go up they are way short for Premiership and huge amount of work will need to be done to stay up.
Would be interesting to see if McKenna shapes up at Premiership level as Kompany was being touted as Man City manager not so long ago !!
Leicester are wobbling results wise, performances mean nothing, same as when we outplayed Norwich, Stoke and QPR, drew them all and people concluded it was a blip.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sun Feb 25, 2024 9:33 pm

Dubai Blue wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2024 4:46 pm
I think it's important that we win our game against Southampton because it will be a marker for IMO the most likely play off final.

Having said that, IF we can keep pace with Leeds for the rest of the games, then maybe we go up automatic with Leicester as PO winners.
IF we could keep pace with Leeds ( and Leicester too now as both 6 pts ahead but count that as 7pts due to our inferior GD), then that will put pressure on both of them. If we can get Saints thatll probably bdbthem done with top 2 spot.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Mon Feb 26, 2024 2:30 am

I think if there’s any game Leeds could slip up it will be against Huddersfield.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Mon Feb 26, 2024 11:23 am

I’m thinking this season could be the first time ever a team with 90+ points could miss out on an automatic promotion place. How disappointing will that be, I just hope and pray it’s not us although I’m already panicking that we’re off to California for 6 weeks on 8th May which is the week before the Pay Off Semis’s and 2+ weeks before the final on 26th May. Having not been to Wembley since our Play Off win in 24 yrs ago, I would be so gutted to miss it. 😢

COYB’s we have to do get this job done before the end of the season even if it’s on the final day. 🙏🙏🙏

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Feb 26, 2024 12:01 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2024 11:23 am
I’m thinking this season could be the first time ever a team with 90+ points could miss out on an automatic promotion place. How disappointing will that be, I just hope and pray it’s not us although I’m already panicking that we’re off to California for 6 weeks on 8th May which is the week before the Pay Off Semis’s and 2+ weeks before the final on 26th May. Having not been to Wembley since our Play Off win in 24 yrs ago, I would be so gutted to miss it. 😢

COYB’s we have to do get this job done before the end of the season even if it’s on the final day. 🙏🙏🙏
Similar with me Andy, we fly out to the Algarve on 4th May, last game of season, I can just see it now, needing to win it to go up, didn't bloody dream we'd have such a good season when I booked the holiday!!!

Don't the last set of fixtures normally get moved to the Sunday though ?
Also what are the dates of play off semi's and final ? I've not seen them anywhere, I'm back May 18th so final should be OK if we are in it !!

Cabanas Blue

Post by Cabanas Blue » Mon Feb 26, 2024 12:21 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2024 12:01 pm
Charnwood wrote:

Similar with me Andy, we fly out to the Algarve on 4th May, last game of season, I can just see it now, needing to win it to go up, didn't bloody dream we'd have such a good season when I booked the holiday!!!

Also what are the dates of play off semi's and final ? I've not seen them anywhere, I'm back May 18th so final should be OK if we are in it !!
What part of the Algarve Mike ? Rain is possible in the first two weeks of May but unlikely and we have a very serious drought this year.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Feb 26, 2024 12:39 pm

Olhos d'agua near Albufeira and as for the rain, no way lol 🌞🌞🌞🌞🌞🌞🌞

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Mon Feb 26, 2024 12:58 pm

That is shocking Mr Smith, where was your confidence in our team? :lol: I’ve been looking for the playoff semi-final dates as well but I guess they won’t be announced until near the end of the season.
Anyhow, I better go, you might see me in the lost and found department of Ipswich hospital later. :lol:

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Feb 26, 2024 1:04 pm

I know lol, well the play off final is set for Sunday 26th May but as yet the semi-final dates have not been decided.

I may well see you on my travels around the hospital Tony, good luck.

Cabanas Blue

Post by Cabanas Blue » Mon Feb 26, 2024 1:15 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2024 12:39 pm
Olhos d'agua near Albufeira and as for the rain, no way lol 🌞🌞🌞🌞🌞🌞🌞

When we first came to Portugal for holidays we stayed in Albufeira and visit our friends that live there every few weeks as we are 90 minutes away by train, Olhos d' agua is very nice so I've been told, if you are going to visit other places Alvor is lovely we go several times a year it's an hour on the bus forum Albufeira Enjoy 🏖🏖

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Feb 26, 2024 3:32 pm

Cheers Cabanas, I'll give that a look

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Feb 26, 2024 5:26 pm

number 9 wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2024 2:30 am
I think if there’s any game Leeds could slip up it will be against Huddersfield.
This saturday in Plymouth is a certain banana skin for ITFC.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Mon Feb 26, 2024 5:35 pm

marko69 wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2024 5:26 pm
number 9 wrote:
Yeah for sure.

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Mon Feb 26, 2024 5:37 pm

marko69 wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2024 5:26 pm
number 9 wrote:
Thank you Marko. I will immediately return my ticket for a refund! :lol:

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Feb 26, 2024 6:34 pm

Sorry, Shed....., not usually that negative! :lol: Usually every time I check on a Plymouth result, Morgan Whittaker has either scored or assisted. He didn't do any of those vs Boro. So, hmmmm. Not good. Hopefully those 5 headless chickens that were in the 6 yard box for the Brum goal can be on guard.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Mon Feb 26, 2024 8:44 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Charnwood wrote:
I’m thinking this season could be the first time ever a team okwith 90+ points could miss out on an automatic promotion place. How disappointing will that be, I just hope and pray it’s not us although I’m already panicking that we’re off to California for 6 weeks on 8th May which is the week before the Pay Off Semis’s and 2+ weeks before the final on 26th May. Having not been to Wembley since our Play Off win in 24 yrs ago, I would be so gutted to miss it. 😢

At least I waited till the season was over before going on holiday and I don’t have a season ticket. I can’t believe you’re travelling on the final day and it’s a home game. Why on earth not go the next day or a week later ?

Last season the final week of the Championship was played on Bank Holiday Monday but normally it’s played on a Saturday with Premier League always finishing on a Sunday.

If previous play off semi final dates are observed the Ist Legs will be played on Saturday 11 May (6th v 3rd) ko 15.00 and Sunday 12 May (5th v 4th) ko 15.00, followed by 2nd Legs on Tuesday 14/5 (3rd v 6th) ko 19.45 and Wednesday 15/5 (4th v 5th) ko 19.45

The Play Off Final date has been fixed for Saturday 26 May with the kick off time still to be confirmed although expected to follow the same as last year at 16.45 BST.

Live Tv coverage is Sky Sports in the UK and ESPN+ in the USA. I’m just hoping if we’re in it we come 3rd as Sunday 12th is a travel day from Los Angeles to Yosemite National Park where we’ll be for 3 Nights including the 14th. With a 9hr time difference the games 1st Leg will kick off at 6am which is a tad anti social and thd 2nd Leg at 10.45am which would work fine. The final ko at 7.45am is would be perfect with breakfast.

Praying for Runners up slot or worst case 3rd. 🙏🙏🙏

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Mon Feb 26, 2024 10:03 pm

Charnwood wrote:

Well yes 90+ points won’t be enough becysse we’re bloody going be that team aren’t we!!! :lol:

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Feb 26, 2024 10:50 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2024 8:44 pm
Bluemike wrote:
Charnwood wrote:
I’m thinking this season could be the first time ever a team okwith 90+ points could miss out on an automatic promotion place. How disappointing will that be, I just hope and pray it’s not us although I’m already panicking that we’re off to California for 6 weeks on 8th May which is the week before the Pay Off Semis’s and 2+ weeks before the final on 26th May. Having not been to Wembley since our Play Off win in 24 yrs ago, I would be so gutted to miss it. 😢

At least I waited till the season was over before going on holiday and I don’t have a season ticket. I can’t believe you’re travelling on the final day and it’s a home game. Why on earth not go the next day or a week later ?

Last season the final week of the Championship was played on Bank Holiday Monday but normally it’s played on a Saturday with Premier League always finishing on a Sunday.

If previous play off semi final dates are observed the Ist Legs will be played on Saturday 11 May (6th v 3rd) ko 15.00 and Sunday 12 May (5th v 4th) ko 15.00, followed by 2nd Legs on Tuesday 14/5 (3rd v 6th) ko 19.45 and Wednesday 15/5 (4th v 5th) ko 19.45

The Play Off Final date has been fixed for Saturday 26 May with the kick off time still to be confirmed although expected to follow the same as last year at 16.45 BST.

Live Tv coverage is Sky Sports in the UK and ESPN+ in the USA. I’m just hoping if we’re in it we come 3rd as Sunday 12th is a travel day from Los Angeles to Yosemite National Park where we’ll be for 3 Nights including the 14th. With a 9hr time difference the games 1st Leg will kick off at 6am which is a tad anti social and thd 2nd Leg at 10.45am which would work fine. The final ko at 7.45am is would be perfect with breakfast.

Praying for Runners up slot or worst case 3rd. 🙏🙏🙏
The holiday was booked before last season even finished I think from memory, aside from that I never dreamt we'd be where we are.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Tue Feb 27, 2024 12:15 am

At least you’re back for the final and there are always plenty of tickets kicking around. I’ll be right pissed off being so far away and we’re not scheduled back till mid June so can’t even get away with coming back a few days early. Missing a 3 day golf trip with the boys too so not best pleased but I’m told I agreed it, must have not been concentrating.

Lorraine has just booked another holiday in Winter 2025 so that could be a few Premier League ties in danger of missing. I think I need to get her reigned in a bit.