Championship - Plymouth Argyle vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

A tough 3 points to win?

Plymouth Win
11%
Ipswich Win
72%
Draw
17%

Total votes: 18

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Re: Championship - Plymouth Argyle vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Bluemike » Sun Mar 03, 2024 7:39 am

First half I wasn't impressed tbh, was pretty shaky and on more than one occasion he either gave the ball away or ran onto trouble in or around our box, he doesn't look comfortable dropping deep to collect the ball from Hladky when pressed, Morsy does it so well.

Second half was much better, more solid and linked up better with those around him, got some good hard tackles in although was very lucky with one or two that looked bookable to me. One thing he does do is put in a real shift, a proper grafter for sure.

Mauswara

Post by Mauswara » Sun Mar 03, 2024 8:09 am

I didn't manage to rouse myself at 4am for this one but checked the scores when I woke up.

Turned out nice again.

rossi

Post by rossi » Sun Mar 03, 2024 9:18 am

Bluemike wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2024 12:37 am
QldBlue wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2024 12:10 am
LOL - I guess I’m one of the wallies. I’d be way happier having that 5 point gap over Leeds had Leicester beaten them than the 2 we have now. The Foxes are on a wobble but I can’t see it being sustained - they’re still creating so many chances. Hope I’m wrong about this. Either way, the next 6 weeks are going to be epic.

How was Travis’s overall contribution? Saw a few comments earlier from the 1st half but it sounds like the team performance wasn’t great for the first 45.
It was tongue in cheek, hence the wink. FWIW I am convinced it was the right result when Leeds beat Leicester and it will unfold in the coming weeks, its not just about that game anyhow, they've lost 3 in 4 now and as we know only too well, numerous chances mean nothing unless you convert them. I still believe Leeds will be champions but we have a very good chance of second now, although saying that we also have a sniff of the title ourselves.
It was also a good thing that Southampton won yesterday - keeps them within sniffing distance of Leeds and makes it more likely that the Leeds-Southampton game on the last day might be of real significance. All we need to do now is to match Leeds results over the next 11 games.

TODD66
Posting Game Moderator

Post by TODD66 » Sun Mar 03, 2024 9:37 am

rossi wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2024 9:18 am
Bluemike wrote:
QldBlue wrote:
LOL - I guess I’m one of the wallies. I’d be way happier having that 5 point gap over Leeds had Leicester beaten them than the 2 we have now. The Foxes are on a wobble but I can’t see it being sustained - they’re still creating so many chances. Hope I’m wrong about this. Either way, the next 6 weeks are going to be epic.

How was Travis’s overall contribution? Saw a few comments earlier from the 1st half but it sounds like the team performance wasn’t great for the first 45.
It was tongue in cheek, hence the wink. FWIW I am convinced it was the right result when Leeds beat Leicester and it will unfold in the coming weeks, its not just about that game anyhow, they've lost 3 in 4 now and as we know only too well, numerous chances mean nothing unless you convert them. I still believe Leeds will be champions but we have a very good chance of second now, although saying that we also have a sniff of the title ourselves.
It was also a good thing that Southampton won yesterday - keeps them within sniffing distance of Leeds and makes it more likely that the Leeds-Southampton game on the last day might be of real significance. All we need to do now is to match Leeds results over the next 11 games.
Of course if we assume Leeds are going to pick it back up and get back on it we will have to put the kibosh on that last game meaning anything by having to beat Southampton on the way giving Leeds a better chance to open up a points gap!

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Mar 03, 2024 10:14 am

rossi wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2024 9:18 am
Bluemike wrote:
QldBlue wrote:

Exactly right, it just keeps the added pressure on.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sun Mar 03, 2024 10:59 am

From here onwards I’m hoping we can control our own destiny rather than rely on others slipping up. We know we’re not going to win them all but neither are the others. Taking it week by week we just need to take each game as it comes and do our best to match those around us. Much easier when the opposition play hours before us as was the case yesterday with Leeds, and more of the same again next week.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sun Mar 03, 2024 11:12 am

With Tuanzebe and Travis in the side we stand more chance of keeping a clean sheet than with Clarke and Luongo. However we lose some but not all of our attacking threat going forward. I think we’ll see more changes between this quartet over coming games depending on the opposition and of course Axel’s ability to stay fit.

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Sun Mar 03, 2024 12:12 pm

Now Axel is getting the game time he needs, his class is starting to show through, and he is versatile and can play anywhere across the back 4, If Kieran intends to keep him at RB where's Harry Clarke going to play ?? maybe Right Midfield and also we should have Burns and Broadhead back in contention shortly, but having signed Kieffer Moore has brought a desperately needed new dimension to our game he has more aerial power than Hirst, but at 6ft 7 we needed a monster like him to open up defences, we just need to keep everyone fit for the final 11 matches. And Leicester are still in the Cup quarter-finals playing Chelsea away could be a further drain on their ability to get back into form?? a tough call, and Southampton are still vulnerable which could see them have a few more wobbles, just keep the pressure up one game at a time.

rossi

Post by rossi » Sun Mar 03, 2024 1:34 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2024 11:12 am
With Tuanzebe and Travis in the side we stand more chance of keeping a clean sheet than with Clarke and Luongo. However we lose some but not all of our attacking threat going forward. I think we’ll see more changes between this quartet over coming games depending on the opposition and of course Axel’s ability to stay fit.
agree with this completely - Axel is starting to show his class, Travis still a bit ring rusty but getting better with every minute's game time he gets. And playing Travis, who is a predominantly defensively minded midfielder. will afford Morsy greater opportunity to go forward, which can only be a good thing