Two more Town games on Sky TV

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Two more Town games on Sky TV

Post by Charnwood » Thu Feb 29, 2024 5:07 pm

Town’s two games over the Easter weekend have been selected for live coverage by Sky Sports.

The Blues are at Blackburn Rovers on Good Friday before hosting Southampton at Portman Road on Easter Monday, with both games now switched to 5.30pm kick off.

This is driving me crackers although the kick off times are a vast improvement on what happened on Boxing Day which was outrageous.

I’m not sure how much we get paid for a 5.30pm Bank Holiday kick off but it won’t be far short of £100k for the home game which is decent revenue albeit far short of the £1.2m Premier League clubs get for hosting a Skytv fixture.

I think the away clubs only receive £10k for each televised game but still worth having for doing nothing.

These latest two games are in addition to our fixtures already selected for next month, v Bristol City (H) on 5 March and v Cardiff City (A) on 9 March. Surely we must be the most televised team in The Championship.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Re: Two more Town games on Sky TV

Post by Charnwood » Thu Feb 29, 2024 6:01 pm

Just checked back and after the two Easter televised games Town will have been involved in 16 Sky televised games this season of which 7 will have been home games and 9 away games.

There will of course still be 6 games to play between Easter Monday and the end of the season and if we get picked twice more our income from Sky would be close on £1m.

rossi

Post by rossi » Fri Mar 01, 2024 9:36 am

Charnwood wrote:
Thu Feb 29, 2024 5:07 pm
Town’s two games over the Easter weekend have been selected for live coverage by Sky Sports.

The Blues are at Blackburn Rovers on Good Friday before hosting Southampton at Portman Road on Easter Monday, with both games now switched to 5.30pm kick off.

This is driving me crackers although the kick off times are a vast improvement on what happened on Boxing Day which was outrageous.

I’m not sure how much we get paid for a 5.30pm Bank Holiday kick off but it won’t be far short of £100k for the home game which is decent revenue albeit far short of the £1.2m Premier League clubs get for hosting a Skytv fixture.

I think the away clubs only receive £10k for each televised game but still worth having for doing nothing.

These latest two games are in addition to our fixtures already selected for next month, v Bristol City (H) on 5 March and v Cardiff City (A) on 9 March. Surely we must be the most televised team in The Championship.
Nah - that would be Leeds - been the same every season they've been in the Championship for the last 20 seasons or so - it's well known that one of the chief planners in Sky is a massive Leeds fan.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Fri Mar 01, 2024 3:16 pm

rossi wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2024 9:36 am
Charnwood wrote:

Nah - that would be Leeds - been the same every season they've been in the Championship for the last 20 seasons or so - it's well known that one of the chief planners in Sky is a massive Leeds fan.

Not exactly true Rossi as I know for a fact that Season 2019/20 when Leeds were promoted to the Premier League Nottingham Forest were SkyTV’s most televised team in the Championship. If it is Leeds Utd this season I would say that’s justified given their entertainment value and fan following. I think Town fans would also be relieved to hear this especially those who’ve signed up and said for TownTV.

rossi

Post by rossi » Fri Mar 01, 2024 8:02 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2024 3:16 pm
rossi wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2024 9:36 am
Charnwood wrote:

Not exactly true Rossi as I know for a fact that Season 2019/20 when Leeds were promoted to the Premier League Nottingham Forest were SkyTV’s most televised team in the Championship. If it is Leeds Utd this season I would say that’s justified given their entertainment value and fan following. I think Town fans would also be relieved to hear this especially those who’ve signed up and said for TownTV.
Ha - again not quite right, and it appears both of us were wrong.
For the 2019/20 season in the Championship Leeds (13 appearances) and Forest (14 appearances) came behind West Brom (15 appearances).

Whatever, I think that we can expect our Sky appearances to increase for as long as we are in the race for auto promotion

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Fri Mar 01, 2024 10:19 pm

According to the Yorkshire Post I was right, it was 14 each for Forest and WBA. Either way Rossi, however you look at it Leeds United most definitely weren’t the most televised Championship team albeit by only one game.

rossi

Post by rossi » Sat Mar 02, 2024 9:22 am

That's true for that season, but most seasons Leeds have been covered more times than any other team (Championship).
Funny, I checked out the YP site and found the article for the 19/20 season, and that does state that WBA were most covered with 15 games.

I don't get my data from the public domain however - it just happens that I studied with somebody who is now very high up in IT at Sky, and it's simple for him to run me up a list of covered games.

I don't think that anybody should be surprised at our increased Sky coverage this season - it's tied in to the position we are in and the brand of football we are playing, call it the price of success

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Mar 02, 2024 10:10 am

Just wondering if it's worth me keeping Town TV next season if this is to be the norm next season too.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Mar 02, 2024 10:28 am

Bluemike wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2024 10:10 am
Just wondering if it's worth me keeping Town TV next season if this is to be the norm next season too.
I’ll stick with it as it guarantees I don’t need miss a single game all season. Rely solely on Sky and its circa 15 games max I can watch and then pay per view for the rest (£310).

For you there would only be a marginal difference as you would only need to pay for away games you don’t go to (£10pm) which would work out similar to the annual subscription (£170).

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Mar 02, 2024 12:10 pm

I must admit I do enjoy watching my Town TV in my dinner breaks at work (when I f**king get one !!!) with all the replays of games, Town in 5 and interviews etc

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Mar 02, 2024 12:32 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2024 12:10 pm
I must admit I do enjoy watching my Town TV in my dinner breaks at work (when I f**king get one !!!) with all the replays of games, Town in 5 and interviews etc
Hard to believe but I’ve never watched it other than on match days, pre match, game and post match chat.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Mar 02, 2024 2:18 pm

:lol: That Rossi / Charnwood “Who’s on telly” debate was like an Abbot & Costello routine :lol:

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Mar 02, 2024 5:34 pm

marko69 wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2024 2:18 pm
:lol: That Rossi / Charnwood “Who’s on telly” debate was like an Abbot & Costello routine :lol:
Never heard of em 🤣🤣🤣

Ohiotractorboy

Post by Ohiotractorboy » Sun Mar 03, 2024 5:22 pm

And each of these games should be on ESPN+ I do know the next two are on! This is great!

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Mar 21, 2024 5:00 pm

Coventry game now on Sky too, 30th April 8pm.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Apr 05, 2024 2:11 pm

Town's penultimate away fixture of the season, away to Hull City, will now kick off at 8pm.

The game was originally scheduled for 3pm on Saturday, 27 April, but will now start five hours later having been picked for live coverage on Sky Sports.

The Blues ran out 3-0 winners against Hull back in October, with goals from Wes Burns, Conor Chaplin and Marcus Harness securing three points over Liam Rosenior's side at Portman Road.

Following the clash at MKM Stadium, Town take on Coventry City away from home on Tuesday, 30 April, with that fixture also being shown live on Sky.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Fri Apr 05, 2024 2:19 pm

Wow!

Tell you what…… if ITFC get promoted, y’all better give serious consideration to your season tickets. There will be no guarantees you’ll be able to go. The TV will decide if you can go.

This is a “Work & Marriage may suffer” warning!

trimleyblue
Global Moderator

Post by trimleyblue » Fri Apr 05, 2024 4:49 pm

I'm retired :D :D :D

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Fri Apr 05, 2024 5:44 pm

marko69 wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2024 2:19 pm
Wow!

Tell you what…… if ITFC get promoted, y’all better give serious consideration to your season tickets. There will be no guarantees you’ll be able to go. The TV will decide if you can go.

Even if we are still in the Championship it won’t be much better. From next season each league weekend fixture round will include 5 live games from the championship so it will be a nightmare for those fans who attend away games on a regular basis and those who have to travel from a distance for home games and have other commitments such as work.
Nice of Sky and the EFL to introduce a new commitment to clubs and fans which will provide longer notice periods on tv selections. I’m sure that will help the fans a lot, NOT!

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Fri Apr 05, 2024 6:09 pm

Shed on tour wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2024 5:44 pm
marko69 wrote:
Wow!

Even if we are still in the Championship it won’t be much better. From next season each league weekend fixture round will include 5 live games from the championship so it will be a nightmare for those fans who attend away games on a regular basis and those who have to travel from a distance for home games and have other commitments such as work.
Nice of Sky and the EFL to introduce a new commitment to clubs and fans which will provide longer notice periods on tv selections. I’m sure that will help the fans a lot, NOT!
It’s a total pi$$ take in my opinion.

But, that’s why I said “consideration” pre buying a ST.
People can’t fork out for a ST ——>> and then moan when fixture dates & times are changed. That would make no sense at all.

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Fri Apr 05, 2024 6:46 pm

marko69 wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2024 6:09 pm
Shed on tour wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2024 5:44 pm
marko69 wrote:
Wow!

It’s a total pi$$ take in my opinion.

But, that’s why I said “consideration” pre buying a ST.
People can’t fork out for a ST ——>> and then moan when fixture dates & times are changed. That would make no sense at all.
Totally agree about the pi$$ take. Will renew my season ticket as being an old git I will be able to attend home games ok. Certainly won’t be doing so many aways though.