Championship - Ipswich Town vs Bristol City Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Hold on to 2nd place on the table?

Ipswich Win
100%
Bristol Win
No votes
Draw
No votes

Total votes: 13

Frosty
Forum Owner

Championship - Ipswich Town vs Bristol City Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Frosty » Sun Mar 03, 2024 9:08 pm

Image Ipswich Town vs Bristol City Image

Tuesday 5th March 2024 – 20:00

Portman Road

Pre-Match Thoughts - Mike

I think it is fair to say that Saturday turned out to be a pretty good day for all connected to Ipswich Town, rarely do things almost all go our way but on this occasion there isn't much I would have changed. Not only did we go out and do the most important part by winning at Plymouth but we also had Huddersfield doing us a big favour by holding Leeds to a draw with Ten men, that was the One thing that maybe could have gone a tad better as having watched the game I felt Huddersfield would have won that game with a full compliment of players on the pitch, of course we will never know for sure but they were giving it a right good go.

Even better than that was lowly QPR going to Leicester City and turning them over, I don't think anybody really saw that coming but Leicester are most definitely having a wobble at just the wrong time and will be feeling the heat in the coming weeks and with some tough looking fixtures coming up they are nothing like the certs for promotion many people thought, Three defeats on the bounce takes their number of losses to Seven, almost double the Four Town have suffered.

At first glance it was so annoying to see Southampton come from behind and score a last gasp winner at Birmingham City which keeps them clinging to our coat tails, however delve a little deeper and on closer inspection it may not be quite as bad a result as we initially thought, as has been mentioned on the forum we need them going into that final day battle against Leeds with something to play for, it needs to mean something to them and with us having a winnable game at home on that final day it could well be a blessing in disguise that they kept themselves in the hunt.

From our perspective we take our winning streak to Five games following a very satisfying win at Plymouth, a team who in recent times have been like the small noisy neighbours from up the road in as much that they would not go away throughout the whole of last season and then took great delight in reminding us at every opportunity, for some reason they seem to hold a grudge and reading their fans comments they feel we are team hell bent on thuggery and who get favours from the officials game after game, no mention of course of the luck they got last season at Portman Road which saw them escape with a fluky point so I make no apology for the feeling of smugness I had after the full time whistle sounded at Home Park.

I must confess I did not enjoy the first half at all, I thought it was a terrible Forty Five Minutes from Town as we huffed and puffed and failed to get into our usual effective stride, the early moments of the game saw Plymouth in the ascendancy and a couple of half chances had us on our heels, none more so that when Luke Woolfenden somehow blocked a goal bound shot on the line to keep it level, at the other end the disappointing Kieffer Moore did have a clever header saved when it looked to be creeping into the net, I thought Moore was One of a number of Town players who just looked a little off colour in that opening half, thankfully there was better to come after the break.

Although it was never vintage Town the second half was much much better as we looked more on it and hungrier for sure, suddenly we were controlling all aspects of the game and looking the more likely to break the deadlock, we were now seeing Morsy and Travis winning the Midfield, Davis and the excellent Tuanzebe were now getting forward to support the attack, Hutchinson was now getting the better of his marker and Moore looked much more like the Striker we know him to be, all the time the defence were staying solid and not overly troubled.

We cannot ignore the fact it took a massive stroke of luck for us to take the lead and I guess that evens things up just a little bit, a lovely surging run from the skipper Sam Morsy saw him play in Conor Chaplin who took a touch before firing at goal, clearly it was going wide before striking a defender, wrong footing the keeper and nestling into the far corner of the net, it was just the break we needed and came at a time when we looked at our most dangerous.

Barely ten Minutes later and it was Two Nil and game virtually over, a high looping cross from the Right side seemed to be going out but Cam Burgess somehow retrieved it with an excellent header back into a dangerous area where Chaplin cleverly nodded it on for Kieffer Moore to smash his strike home with some aplomb, cue the celebrations with the Town fans behind that goal. It was the breathing space we needed and more much of the time that remained it was Town who looked like adding another rather than the home side getting back into it, although they were unlucky with One effort that saw Hladky get the slightest touch with his fingertips to divert it onto the post and away to safety.

This had the look of a Banana skin game all week for me as it's never an easy place to go, factor in the distance and the clear animosity towards us by many of their fans and I was not completely confident on this one but as is often the case the boys dug deep and got the job done, Three or Four regulars missing and still we had enough in the tank augers well for the games that remain, McKenna has his troops firing and we are hitting some great form at exactly the right time which gives real hope for what is to come. of course we'll continue the One game at a time way of thinking but you cannot help but look at that League table and get a tingle of excitement at what is within our grasp, the best thing about it all is that it is now in our own hands again.

To achieve Six on the spin we have to overcome Bristol City at Portman Road this Tuesday evening, the Sky cameras will be in attendance once more for the watching world to get a glimpse of what we are about again. City really are a Jeckyll & Hyde team of late, they've just lost games against QPR, Sheff Wed & Cardiff City and yet sandwiched in between they took Southampton apart courtesy of a very impressive display so you never really know what to expect from them. They come to Portman Road on the back of Three defeats so confidence will not be high and while their mid table position may feel safe they will know things can change very quickly and they only have a Six Point gap to the dreaded drop zone, teams at the bottom are starting to pick up points and coming up with shock results so nobody is safe in the bottom half, Town need to ensure we are victims of One of these upsets.

We know we have to at least match Leeds results from here on in and with them entertaining Stoke City at Elland Road we have to assume a win is paramount to keep them behind us, struggling Leicester go to Sunderland who are on a woeful run right now, normally that would look a tough fixture and there is hope Sunderland return to some kind of form, Southampton play on Wednesday with a tricky tie at home to Preston North End who are right on the cusp of the Top Six and will be wanting something from this game.

Town just need to turn up and do what we know we can and we will still find ourselves in the top Two come Wednesday morning, any complacency and we could undo all the good work we did at Plymouth, we look hungry, we look confident and we look a team full of belief that we are right in this, which of course we are. I think we will get the job done but probably not without the usual heart stopping moments which we have become accustomed to. Town win for me By One or Two clear goals. Keep believing. COYB'S.

The Opposition – Bristol City - Honours

League

Second Division
Champions: 1905–06
2nd place promotion: 1975–76

Third Division South / Third Division / Second Division / League One
Champions: 1922–23, 1926–27, 1954–55, 2014–15
2nd place promotion: 1964–65, 1989–90, 1997–98, 2006–07

Fourth Division
4th place promotion: 1983–84

Western League
Champions: 1897–98

Cup

FA Cup
Runners-up: 1908–09

Associate Members' Cup / Football League Trophy
Winners: 1985–86, 2002–03, 2014–15
Runners-up: 1986–87, 1999–2000

Welsh Cup
Winners: 1933–34

Anglo-Scottish Cup
Winners: 1977–78

The Manager – Liam Manning

League Table as at 03.03.2024

Form Guide

Ipswich Town

14 Feb Millwall 0 – 4 Ipswich Town

17 Feb Swansea City 1 - 2 Ipswich Town

20 Feb Ipswich Town 4 - 3 Rotherham

24 Feb Ipswich Town 3 - 1 Birmingham City

2 Mar Plymouth 0 - 2 Ipswich Town

Bristol City

10 Feb Middlesbrough 1 - 2 Bristol City

13 Feb Bristol City 3 - 1 Southampton

17 Feb Bristol City 0 - 1 QP Rangers

24 Feb Sheffield Wed 2 - 1 Bristol City

2 Mar Bristol City 0 - 1 Cardiff City

Head to Head

Match Referee – David Webb

IPSWICH TOWN 2 BRISTOL CITY 1

marko69
Global Moderator

Re: Championship - Ipswich Town vs Bristol City Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by marko69 » Tue Mar 05, 2024 9:37 am

Excellent preview and an enlightened preview. :shock:
I had posted at the weekend about Southamptons extra 2 points being a thorn in the side……., but, pointing out that them being in the mix come seasons end could be huge for ITFC. Leeds have a “bottling it” mentality historically and hopefully that can be the case this year…….

….., all Ipswich need to do is keep winning. Going for the 3-0 win tonight under the lights hopefully in front of a noisy and menacing, mobbed Portman Road crowd.
100% encouragement please. 👍👌🙏

Ref caption:

Through the ear piece: “It’s going to be 8 minutes added, ref.”
Ref: “Yeah, times that by 4, buddy.”

Liam Manning Caption:

Reporter: “So, Liam. You look like Sting.”
Liam: “Every breath i take, i hear that.”
Reporter: “Yeah, can you not stand so close to me, your breath stinks.”

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Tue Mar 05, 2024 10:25 am

After 3 consecutive defeats including games against relegation candidates QPR and Sheffield Wednesday, Bristol will be desperately keen to get their season back on track. They really are a difficult side to predict illustrated by them winning against both Middlesbrough and Southampton in their two games immediately prior to going on a run of defeats.

Who know which Bristol City team will arrive at Portman Road tonight, I just hope it’s the one that finds losing easier than winning to keep alive Kieran McKenna’s opportunity to match Towns record 9 game wining run which has stood for 42 years.

A win tonight would take us to 6 and well on our way. if achieved would be the 3rd long standing record broken during McKenna’s short period in charge. Bring it on boss.

Prediction; Ipswich Town 3 - 1 Bristol City

Dazzz67

Post by Dazzz67 » Tue Mar 05, 2024 11:41 am

NIce write up again Mike.

I see a potential banana skin here, BC have the ability to upset things and under Liam Manning will be no easy team.

Would not be surprised if this ended in a draw, but do expect the lads to be up for it so hoping that will see us over the line, 2 - 1 to Town.

COYB!

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Tue Mar 05, 2024 12:01 pm

As we saw again at the weekend from other teams results, anything can happen in this league. Think this game could be a lot closer than some supporters expect and therefore will go for a narrow win for Town.
Ipswich 2 Bristol City 1

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Mar 05, 2024 12:47 pm

Shed on tour wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2024 12:01 pm
As we saw again at the weekend from other teams results, anything can happen in this league. Think this game could be a lot closer than some supporters expect and therefore will go for a narrow win for Town.
Ipswich 2 Bristol City 1
Personally, I saw the game @ Home Park a guaranteed draw, and see this one as a guaranteed win ......, hopefully can be right for a change.

But that part in underlined bold above; got to think that KMcK can use this as part of the team-talk. BE the team that is NOT going to be part of the "crazy league" chat. Go out there and convincingly beat them like he knows they are 100% capable of doing, with SO much at stake. Because it is sort of getting very serious now. The incentives are absolutely astronomical moving into the last chapter of the season. And properly pumping Bristol City in front of a 29K home crowd would be a decent showing of intent. YES ---->> "I'd take a scrappy 1-0 win"......., bla bla, get that completely......., but really putting on a show would be fantastic and send out a "We ain't kidding around" message.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Tue Mar 05, 2024 1:16 pm

Think this is a potential banana skin tbh . They are a very decent side and very quick on the break...watch this space and I hope we deal with that pace

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Tue Mar 05, 2024 1:29 pm

The problem is Liz, in this league every single fixture is a potential banana skin and when the winning streak comes to an end it will probably be in the most unlikely fixture, just hope and pray it isn’t Sheffield Wednesday at Portman Road. I don’t think I could take that.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Tue Mar 05, 2024 4:58 pm

Three points in theory isn't it. They had surprise wins over Middlesbrough, Southampton etc but even their own fans admit they're a poor team and looking behind them towards threat of any possible relegation.

The home advantage should swing it for us and that'll be then beating them in both fixtures this season. Individually and man for man we're superior to what they can put on the field and everything points to a town victory. Would be real surprised not to mention disappointed if they somehow manage to take something away from the trip over.

shabba

Post by shabba » Tue Mar 05, 2024 5:02 pm

Right..........lets talk line-up!

Hladkey

Clarke (I feel Axel will be rested due to his chronic back issue he probably won't play 3 in such close succession)
Wolfie
Burges (wouldn't be suprised to see Edmundson - for some reason - call it a hunch).
Davis

Morsy
Lungo (I think he will be back in if fit)

Hutchinson
Chaplin
Harness

Moore

I have a feeling Sarminto may be benched and Harness brought in, Burns probably makes the bench though so it means we can still bring him on later.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Mar 05, 2024 5:09 pm

Hlady

Tuanzebe
Woolfy
Burgess
Davis

Morsy
Travis

Hutchinson
Chaplin
Al-Hamadi

Moore

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Tue Mar 05, 2024 5:24 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2024 5:09 pm
Hlady

Tuanzebe
Woolfy
Burgess
Davis

Morsy
Travis

Hutchinson
Chaplin
Al-Hamadi

Moore

I’d love to see this line up Mike and we may well at sometime in the game I just don’t think it will be at the start. 10/11 I’d still be happy with + anr in Al-Hamadi’s slot. Could be Marcus Harness or Jeremy Sarmiento given another chance. Any news on Burns or Broadhead’s injuries ?

rossi

Post by rossi » Tue Mar 05, 2024 5:58 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Hlady

Tuanzebe
Woolfy
Burgess
Davis

Morsy
Travis

Hutchinson
Chaplin
Al-Hamadi

Moore
ditto

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Tue Mar 05, 2024 6:07 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2024 1:29 pm
The problem is Liz, in this league every single fixture is a potential banana skin and when the winning streak comes to an end it will probably be in the most unlikely fixture, just hope and pray it isn’t Sheffield Wednesday at Portman Road. I don’t think I could take that.
Yes every game is a banana skin Andy. I kinda feel BC are in a false position . I have seen them on the tv and thought they looked pretty quick.

Fingers crossed we nail em !

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Tue Mar 05, 2024 6:08 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Hlady

Tuanzebe
Woolfy
Burgess
Davis

Morsy
Travis

Hutchinson
Chaplin
Al-Hamadi

Moore
Good line up that Mike. I wonder if Harness might get the nod over Al- Hamadi though?

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Tue Mar 05, 2024 6:27 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2024 6:07 pm
Charnwood wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2024 1:29 pm
Yes every game is a banana skin Andy. I kinda feel BC are in a false position . I have seen them on the tv and thought they looked pretty quick.

Fingers crossed we nail em !
This is the response I got from one of my Bristolian pals who I offered a bet on tonight’s outcome and he watches them every game. As you can see there’s not much confidence there.

“What’s up! Short of cash?!? I may as well just give you 25€! But, you’re on….if you win double or nothing on next one. If I win I’ll have the dosh”😜

We’ve agreed winner takes all, no draw.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Tue Mar 05, 2024 7:15 pm

Lol :lol: :lol: …..I think both clubs have injuries…. Best team wins on the night then. COYBs

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Mar 05, 2024 7:25 pm

Harness has really impressed me in his cameo appearances lately so I'd also be happy to see him start too.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Mar 05, 2024 7:26 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2024 5:24 pm
Bluemike wrote:
Hlady

Tuanzebe
Woolfy
Burgess
Davis

Morsy
Travis

Hutchinson
Chaplin
Al-Hamadi

Moore

I’d love to see this line up Mike and we may well at sometime in the game I just don’t think it will be at the start. 10/11 I’d still be happy with + anr in Al-Hamadi’s slot. Could be Marcus Harness or Jeremy Sarmiento given another chance. Any news on Burns or Broadhead’s injuries ?
All we've heard is that Burns could possibly be involved tonight but Broadhead definitely missing again.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Mar 05, 2024 8:02 pm

Harness and Luongo in for Sarmiento and Travis

number 9

Post by number 9 » Tue Mar 05, 2024 8:48 pm

I think it’s a good call We’ll still have impact subs available if necessary.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Tue Mar 05, 2024 9:10 pm

Happy with the starting X1, Luongo for Travis gives priority to attacking play over defensive tightness which is right for a home game.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Tue Mar 05, 2024 9:13 pm

It looks like Bristol City are going to have a go at us. Makes for an entertaining game.

Cabanas Blue

Post by Cabanas Blue » Tue Mar 05, 2024 9:25 pm

It's not looking great at the moment and both Leeds and Leicester winning .

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Tue Mar 05, 2024 9:29 pm

They’re making it very difficult playing out from the back down the wings but I’m sure McKenna will find a way through. In him we must trust.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Tue Mar 05, 2024 9:31 pm

Harness not the answer down the left as he and Davis aren’t linking together too well.

lucy

Post by lucy » Tue Mar 05, 2024 9:34 pm

Not great so far. Haven't even had a shot on Goal I don't think.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Tue Mar 05, 2024 9:36 pm

Tuanzabe having another good game and justifying his selection. 👍

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Mar 05, 2024 9:45 pm

Come on, lads! Step it up. Leeds & Leicester may only be 1-0 up but they are peppering their opponents goals with shots on target.
LETS FKN GOOOOO!!!

Ohiotractorboy

Post by Ohiotractorboy » Tue Mar 05, 2024 9:47 pm

Wow are we missing Burns down the right