If we get to the Premier League ?

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

marko69
Global Moderator

Re: If we get to the Premier League ?

Post by marko69 » Thu Mar 14, 2024 11:50 am

hallamblue wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2024 11:25 am
I've said many times before, promotion to PL benefits primarily, the Club owners, players, manager, and players agents etc ...little if any benefit will the fans actually get . In fact we'll pay through the nose, for less games, and never on a Saturday , and get thrashed almost every week. Ask a Luton fan if they are really enjoying their season.
And thats not being negative. Bang on with that. The fans WILL be only ones out of pocket. Tickets, food etc etc……. But i suppose that is “the cost” of success.

Must admit……. The first season in the championship for Hibs, i really didn’t mind paying the tenner for the East Stand v Alloa. Still a decent, cheap day out with mates watching a 9 man Alloa defence with fat bloke Chopra up at the bookie when he should’ve been up front on the park.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Mar 14, 2024 12:10 pm

And I bet Alloa won :lol: :lol:

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Thu Mar 14, 2024 12:28 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2024 12:10 pm
And I bet Alloa won :lol: :lol:
That one was 1-1, but the Hibs did get pumped 2-0 by Stranraer at Easter Road the week before :lol: 🤦‍♂️

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Thu Mar 14, 2024 12:56 pm

Although most of us have always been against it maybe we would be better off if there was a European Super League and the likes of Man City, Arsenal, Liverpool, Man United, Chelsea etc all pissed off. My only concern tho is how long would it take for, Newcastle, Spurs, West Ham & Villa etc to become the new “Super Rich” clubs of English football. It’s hard to find the answer because there will always be the richest clubs in every division just as we had last year in League One, and those richest clubs will always have an advantage just as we did last year. But, if football clubs and fans lose interest in being competitive and wanting to win, and lose interest in wanting promotion to the highest level, the whole concept of professionals football as a competitive spectator sport breaks down.
Given the way some of you feel about the Premier League are you thinking there shouldn’t be promotions from the EFL to the Premier League and maybe it should be an Elite League that you apply to join when you feel ready for it which I guess is what the European Super League would be.

Just thinking aloud but not sure how it could be better than it is.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Thu Mar 14, 2024 1:33 pm

Great post Charnwood, and you’ve asked the big question in that last paragraph.

Keeping in mind that myself, (and a few other i know who are in business) really do not understand fully what big business is all about. Just cannot get my head around “the monetary losses” :shock:

I feel that if you cannot “prove” that you can sustain the “costs” of the Premier League, then you shouldn’t be there. These numbers with regards to Leicester City are just crazy. Everton and their overspending (to scrape avoiding relegation!)

And the parachute payments is something ive always found baffling. A cash reward for failing, and yet the reason you apparently NEED the payment is because the grossly overpaid players (and agents) failed. 🤷‍♂️ Doesn’t make any sense whatsoever from a business sense.
BUT…… To compete, you need the best. 🤷‍♂️
So ——->> catch 22.

For me…….. more homegrown players who were supporters of the club who’ll play for the jersey for less money. But that is wishy washy, not gonnae happen, nonsense.

There will indeed always be a richer club……. Like an Aston Villa, but within a realistic reach of an Ipswich Town or dare i say it, Canary United. That would be way better. The rest of Europe in an elite league.
It does happen in other sports.

Sum up that waffle ——>> if you CANNOT afford to be there, you shouldn’t be there.
All opinion of course.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Mar 14, 2024 2:27 pm

Spot on Marko, I agree with every word.

And Charny, I've hoped for a long long time that the fat cats would p*ss off to a super league, it would be the best thing. But, and it's a big but, rules need to be implemented to stop the Newcastle's and Villa's from becoming the next wave of mega bucs big boys, such as salary caps, transfer caps, scrapping of parachute payments, limiting foreign players, rules on home grown players in match day squads etc etc, it could work, sadly it 100% never will.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Thu Mar 14, 2024 2:46 pm

Agree with all of the above posts ... I hate PL if I'm being honest, and have long been of the opinion the so called big 5 should sling their hooks to their so called super league : they're welcome to it . Its a load of bollox. I'm not even really bothered with the Champions league if I'm being honest .

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Thu Mar 14, 2024 3:01 pm

Just to add……. We all collectively are desperate to get back playing against the Manures and Scousers and the big London outfits……., this is a “money chat”

…… just before someone misinterprets it all and posts the obligatory, “oh well let’s not bother then, no ambition” ….. bla bla bla.

Blame has to always be focused on those big clubs……. Not diverted onto supporters of clubs who struggle to keep up.

Blue Wilf

Post by Blue Wilf » Thu Mar 14, 2024 4:02 pm

Agree with most posts here. The truth of it Marko is that 'big business' in the context of football ownership is actually mega wealthy individuals and all of the ego that accompanies them, and a whole lot of hangers on there to make a fat buck (agents etc) so its not anything like a 'big business' at all. Parachute payments are an example. If you run a department store and decide your best strategy is to open another 200 of them which could take you to the next level, when it all goes to sh*t cos you made the wrong call, no-one is there to give you the revenue you expected to attain for another 4 years. You would go bust - simple. With the PL however, they are all out to feather their own nests - look at the latest EFL deal that they don't want to do! Cos it costs them money and they make the rules, they don't want to do it so they won't. There is talk of an arbitrator to make them do it but I won't be holding my breath for a penny. Its the turkeys voting for christmas syndrome - sadly.

Thats why I hate the thought of it - plus my previous (numerous) messages on it. If we get there - great - lets give it our all but will I enjoy it as much as this season? I would bet against it cos the last 2 years have been fab fun. I even enjoyed League 1 for a while as we were competitive for large parts of it - after out history, that was huge!

You said yourself, Marko that watching Hibsnin the championship was a fun day out with your mates. Spot on! Just change the division to the SPL - it was Celtic amd not Alloa you were playing, the ticket cost 3 times as much, the pie and pints cost more, its was played at 8pm on a monday night and you got stuffed 0-5... would you rather be back against Alloa...? 😂

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Thu Mar 14, 2024 5:31 pm

Brilliant post Andy. Have to say that like others I detest the way the Premier League has developed. Like some of the posters on here I’m old enough to remember the days when clubs like Town, Derby and Forest could compete with the so-called heavyweights of the top division. There is a whole generation of young fans who have never seen us play in the top flight and I can understand their excitement and desire for us to get there. However, after a while I feel like us older supporters they will become disillusioned with the whole thing.
Can I see things changing, I really don’t think they will as even if this Super League never gets going the big Premiership sides will continue to protect their own interests. If they do break away no doubt other teams will be there to take over the mantle.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Mar 14, 2024 8:50 pm

That's settled then. .. come on Sheff Wed lol 😆

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Thu Mar 14, 2024 9:46 pm

I so nearly posted exactly that Mike lol :lol: But you beat me to it. So if we lose Sat I’ll be kicking your butt!

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Thu Mar 14, 2024 10:46 pm

If I ever get to the stage where I would be happy to see Town lose I’ll give up following them and either adopt another more local team to follow or just watch Premier League games as a neutral. I couldn’t possibly follow my team and not want to win, it’s simply not in my make up.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Mar 14, 2024 10:49 pm

It was clearly a joke Andy

Cabanas Blue

Post by Cabanas Blue » Thu Mar 14, 2024 10:50 pm

I don't like this thread it's not IF it's WHEN we get to the Premier League.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Thu Mar 14, 2024 10:57 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2024 10:49 pm
It was clearly a joke Andy
….and so it might be Mike, but if we know getting there isn’t going to be an enjoyable experience, what’s the point.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Mar 14, 2024 11:04 pm

Everybody will have their own opinions on that but to clarify, I hope we go up, I want us to go up, but I'm pretty sure the enjoyment factor will go down quite a bit, most people are pissed off with sky getting involved now, that's just one thing that's gonna be way worse.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Fri Mar 15, 2024 9:17 am

Its almost the perfect catch 22. If anyone ever asks to explain the perfect catch 22, its this.

1. Desperate to see Ipswich “back in the big time”…… (still got that 1992 T-shirt)

2. Not desperate to see “possible” big losses.

I reckon the majority are desperate to see what this ownership & management can do in the Premiership, (not necessarily the players as many will need replaced)

Who knows……. Ipswich could be a Brentford in the making. It really is exciting. Especially after 4 years in the same league as Rochdale. 🤦‍♂️

Side note, not changing subject, (don’t bust my balls, 9) ….. Daughter was born 92, and there is an early 93 pic somewhere of me holding her wearing that “back in the big time” T-shirt. She then spewed on it. 🤦‍♂️

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Mar 15, 2024 9:30 am

Yes catch 22 for sure, I really want promotion and the reality is only Three teams get relegated from the Premier League so we would have a chance, this ownership will invest as much as they are allowed to and that gives us hope when we have a League with Sheff Utd, Luton, Burnley, Forest, Palace, Everton, Brentford, Bournemouth & Fulham. I'm pretty sure we could give a fair few of them a run for their money, not to mention Leeds and Leicester who may be there too.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Fri Mar 15, 2024 9:40 am

If Leicester get promoted and then have a 10 points deduction and possibly a transfer ban on top, that’s as good as one relegation place gone which leaves just two. I think if we get there we stand a chance of surviving especially if McKenna stays on the journey

If the owners are willing to invest they could pump £100m into the club in year one as long as they’re confident they could break even in yrs two and three. The biggest danger will be controlling the wage bill which I think is where Leicester City went wrong.

It’s all hypothetical at the moment although our chances of promotion in my opinion are still quite high.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Fri Mar 15, 2024 9:46 am

Could they get a transfer ban? :shock: If that’s the case, i’d probably have a sort of, “go on Leicester, be good, prove you don’t need squillions to survive” attitude.

And great point…….. could eliminate worrying about one Relegation place.

Need to get there first. 🤦‍♂️

Just don’t be an Old Farm derby Play-Off Final. The “dodgy ticker” fans wont live to see the EPL! :lol:

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Fri Mar 15, 2024 2:27 pm

I’ve just checked and found that Chelsea’s transfer ban was linked to 150 rule breaches involving 69 academy players over several seasons and had nothing to do with FFP rules.

This is the only recent transfer EPL ban I can think of which suggests it isn’t used as a punishment for FFP breaches.

goldandblack

Post by goldandblack » Fri Mar 15, 2024 2:58 pm

this is a great thread and is what football forums are all about, good cross section of opinions. well done all.

my big and only concerns in the whole set up is only for the real fans,

Ticket price and availability. A point system that dictates who gets the match day tickets Home and Away
The changing of Days and dates of matches. folk arranging to see matches on a Sat then finding they have changed it to a Sunday or Monday.
Train company's hiking up of ticket prices on match days.
VAR or in my opinion Corrupt VAR.

But we all want our clubs competing at the top level.
really looking forward to seeing the outcome in the next few years. COYB&W

number 9

Post by number 9 » Tue Mar 19, 2024 11:41 pm

Don’t worry, Wolves will be in the Championship sooner rather than later. :lol:

All joking aside, it will indeed be interesting to see where both clubs are in a few years. If nothing else, hopefully ITFC will prosper from its success in the long run.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Wed Mar 20, 2024 10:15 pm

In the last 20 years it’s been pretty easy to get tickets for home matches when I’ve visited. I guess it may be more difficult to get tickets if we’re promoted. :cry:

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Thu Mar 21, 2024 10:07 am

It probably won’t be anymore difficult than it is now 9 given every game is virtually a sell out. If prices go up significantly we may see little change unless EPL rules require us to give a larger allocation to away fans ?