If we get to the Premier League ?

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Blue Wilf

Re: If we get to the Premier League ?

Post by Blue Wilf » Mon Mar 04, 2024 10:33 pm

Just look at the empty stands at Bramall Lane since half tine to tell you everything about life in the Premier League... just not 'fun' sadly 🙁

Cabanas Blue

Post by Cabanas Blue » Mon Mar 04, 2024 10:39 pm

No it's not I just hope Town are never in that position.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Mon Mar 04, 2024 10:46 pm

It used to be a hobby for millionaires but now you need to be a billionaire to even start to think about it. I think I’ll stick with golf. 🤣🏌️‍♂️⚽️👍💙

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Mar 04, 2024 10:55 pm

Ricco wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2024 10:30 pm
Fulham are a bit bloody smug about it.
:lol:

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Mar 04, 2024 10:58 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2024 10:46 pm
It used to be a hobby for millionaires but now you need to be a billionaire to even start to think about it. I think I’ll stick with golf. 🤣🏌️‍♂️⚽️👍💙
I think a slice of pizza and a coffee at Easter Road is just under a million quid, Charny.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Mon Mar 04, 2024 11:32 pm

marko69 wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2024 10:58 pm
Charnwood wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2024 10:46 pm
I think a slice of pizza and a coffee at Easter Road is just under a million quid, Charny.
Ha ha Marko same here mate, our little town Moraira is being taken over by mega wealthy Dutch & Belgians who are driving up the prices of everything from simple food & bar prices to property prices & rents which have gone up crazy and off the scale. .

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Tue Mar 05, 2024 4:25 pm

I see Aston Villa have today reported a loss of £119.6m in their latest accounts up to 31 May 2023.

The accounts cover a period that saw Villa finish seventh in the Premier League to qualify for Europe.

Fortunately thanks to selling Jack Grealish to Manchester City the previous season they can avoid breaching the FFP rules measured over 3 seasons.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Wed Mar 06, 2024 2:18 am

Blue Wilf wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2024 10:33 pm
Just look at the empty stands at Bramall Lane since half tine to tell you everything about life in the Premier League... just not 'fun' sadly 🙁
got a dubious or rare distinction for being part of a 'crowd' that represents the lowest ever at EPL level. Wimbledon 1993 when using Selhurst Park because Plough Lane wasn't open to them. In and around 3,000 or possibly less, hasn't been broken since if correct. Guess one of the 'fortunate' few to be part of such a statistic.

Dubai Blue

Post by Dubai Blue » Sat Mar 09, 2024 8:18 pm

Can't believe we are seriously discussing this. The whole point of sport is to strive to win. If we keep winning we will be there.

For sure it will be a massive challenge for the players and coach, although I'm sure a lot of the players won't make it and I'm also sure that KM has been thinking about who he would like to add for next season already. It's a battle for ascendancy among the bottom 10 teams IMO.

Blue Wilf

Post by Blue Wilf » Sun Mar 10, 2024 7:27 am

Dubai Blue wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2024 8:18 pm
Can't believe we are seriously discussing this. The whole point of sport is to strive to win. If we keep winning we will be there.

For sure it will be a massive challenge for the players and coach, although I'm sure a lot of the players won't make it and I'm also sure that KM has been thinking about who he would like to add for next season already. It's a battle for ascendancy among the bottom 10 teams IMO.
If you don't go every week, or rarely at all, Dubai, I can see where you are coming from (all games on TV and more press coverage etc) but from a week to week, practical perspective, I have no doubt that the matchday experience will be significantly less enjoyable than it currently is. I would say that even if we did compete better (kick off times, VAR, cheating, prawn sandwich brigade etc etc). Its juts my view and is somewhat justified. As stated previously, of course we want to strive to be the best Team we can but that does not guarantee it will be the best experience for fans who actually attend the majority of games - in fact, sadly, it is likely to mean the opposite...

rossi

Post by rossi » Sun Mar 10, 2024 9:20 am

Blue Wilf wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2024 7:27 am
Dubai Blue wrote:

If you don't go every week, or rarely at all, Dubai, I can see where you are coming from (all games on TV and more press coverage etc) but from a week to week, practical perspective, I have no doubt that the matchday experience will be significantly less enjoyable than it currently is. I would say that even if we did compete better (kick off times, VAR, cheating, prawn sandwich brigade etc etc). Its juts my view and is somewhat justified. As stated previously, of course we want to strive to be the best Team we can but that does not guarantee it will be the best experience for fans who actually attend the majority of games - in fact, sadly, it is likely to mean the opposite...
Oh, that's a somewhat magnanimous opinion, don't you think? Fans who are fortunate enough to go to every game are no bigger fans than those who can only watch from afar. The fervent wish of every fan should surely be to see their club play at the highest level they can achieve, regardless of any perceived inconvenience to themselves.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Mar 10, 2024 10:11 am

I think what Wilf means is actually attending can be greatly affected by the points he made, watching from afar doesn't really get yo feel the same negatives, apart from VAR of course

Blue Wilf

Post by Blue Wilf » Sun Mar 10, 2024 10:22 am

rossi wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2024 9:20 am
Blue Wilf wrote:
Dubai Blue wrote:

Oh, that's a somewhat magnanimous opinion, don't you think? Fans who are fortunate enough to go to every game are no bigger fans than those who can only watch from afar. The fervent wish of every fan should surely be to see their club play at the highest level they can achieve, regardless of any perceived inconvenience to themselves.
I never said that fans who could not go regularly are any less of a fan than those of us that go all the time. As Mike correctly stated, my point was that those of us that are lucky enough to go will (in my opinion) get a lesser experience.

rossi

Post by rossi » Sun Mar 10, 2024 12:45 pm

Blue Wilf wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2024 10:22 am
rossi wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2024 9:20 am
Blue Wilf wrote:

I never said that fans who could not go regularly are any less of a fan than those of us that go all the time. As Mike correctly stated, my point was that those of us that are lucky enough to go will (in my opinion) get a lesser experience.
ah, ok then, apologies for my misinterpretation of your comments.

However, I would not expect my match experience to suffer should we get promotion. Why would it?

Blue Wilf

Post by Blue Wilf » Sun Mar 10, 2024 2:54 pm

No problem at all. No - assuming you can no longer get to matches, your experience may well be enhanced (ie more TV and press coverage etc) so it depends where you sit I guess. I am just fearful of it from an enjoyment perspective but it will be a nice problem to have for a season at least!

rossi

Post by rossi » Sun Mar 10, 2024 7:16 pm

Blue Wilf wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2024 2:54 pm
No problem at all. No - assuming you can no longer get to matches, your experience may well be enhanced (ie more TV and press coverage etc) so it depends where you sit I guess. I am just fearful of it from an enjoyment perspective but it will be a nice problem to have for a season at least!
well it just happens that I've put my emigration to Philippines on hold - I've moved from Essex to Lincolnshire so that doesn't stop me from making every home game and probably more away games now due to being more central

Dubai Blue

Post by Dubai Blue » Mon Mar 11, 2024 7:54 am

Actually BlueWilf I do see your point and I was thinking about it as I typed. But I figured that whilst yes it might be depressing to see my team lose on a regular basis for a whole season and then possibly get relegated, I would also be able to watch some of the best players on the planet playing at PR. I think I would take that, especially with the parachute payments giving the club the chance to have another promotion season the year after and perhaps come up better equipped next time.

Let's agree to differ.

Also btw jealous of Rossi's emigration. My main office is in Manila, I can definitely see the attraction of emigration to that beautiful country.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Mon Mar 11, 2024 9:59 am

Dubai Blue wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2024 7:54 am
Actually BlueWilf I do see your point and I was thinking about it as I typed. But I figured that whilst yes it might be depressing to see my team lose on a regular basis for a whole season and then possibly get relegated, I would also be able to watch some of the best players on the planet playing at PR. I think I would take that, especially with the parachute payments giving the club the chance to have another promotion season the year after and perhaps come up better equipped next time.

Let's agree to differ.

Also btw jealous of Rossi's emigration. My main office is in Manila, I can definitely see the attraction of emigration to that beautiful country.

You needn’t be jealous anymore DB, Mablethorpe is nothing like Manila.

rossi

Post by rossi » Mon Mar 11, 2024 10:19 am

Charnwood wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2024 9:59 am
Dubai Blue wrote:

Let's agree to differ.

Actually, Manila is mainly overcrowded slums - however, the Makati district (where I suspect DB's office is), is at another level and very expensive to buy/rent property.
And no, I live west of the Wolds, not east :wink:

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Mon Mar 11, 2024 11:04 am

rossi wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2024 10:19 am
Charnwood wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2024 9:59 am
Dubai Blue wrote:

Let's agree to differ.

Actually, Manila is mainly overcrowded slums - however, the Makati district (where I suspect DB's office is), is at another level and very expensive to buy/rent property.
I’ve only been to Manila for a short visit mainly to the cultural and tourist districts but of course The Philippines has much to offer retirees, not least a low cost retirement and excellent healthcare. Given it’s been your plan for many years I hope you still manage to fulfil your dream Rossi.

Ps; There’s a very nice golf course at Woodall Spa where I had one of my retirement events 20 years ago but I guess that maybe a little south of where you are.

rossi

Post by rossi » Mon Mar 11, 2024 2:02 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2024 11:04 am
I’ve only been to Manila for a short visit mainly to the cultural and tourist districts but of course The Philippines has much to offer retirees, not least a low cost retirement and excellent healthcare. Given it’s been your plan for many years I hope you still manage to fulfil your dream Rossi.

Ps; There’s a very nice golf course at Woodall Spa where I had one of my retirement events 20 years ago but I guess that maybe a little south of where you are.
Ah yes, that's what Woodhall Spa is famous for. I live in a small village 4 miles west of Woodhall Spa, totally different from Essex - bought it as our UK base once we emigrate which will still happen but now not for another year or so.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Mar 11, 2024 7:06 pm

The only downside will be the kiosk taking a hit.

Half time, Town 0 Liverpool 4

“Get we get a pie and juice, dad?”
“Yer gettin nowt!”

RRanger

Post by RRanger » Mon Mar 11, 2024 8:52 pm

As a semi-regular attendee of Brentford as I live about 2 miles from the ground ,I can say that the ground is packed every home match and the atmosphere is electric and just as much this season where they have been struggling of late, as the last couple of seasons when they were successfully mixing with the "big boys". I think PR would be packed every week ,just as it is now and the fans will love the Premier League ,win or lose and we will have significantly more financial backing ,even with FFP, than Burnley had as a result of their promotion.

Dubai Blue

Post by Dubai Blue » Tue Mar 12, 2024 7:56 am

RRanger wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2024 8:52 pm
As a semi-regular attendee of Brentford as I live about 2 miles from the ground ,I can say that the ground is packed every home match and the atmosphere is electric and just as much this season where they have been struggling of late, as the last couple of seasons when they were successfully mixing with the "big boys". I think PR would be packed every week ,just as it is now and the fans will love the Premier League ,win or lose and we will have significantly more financial backing ,even with FFP, than Burnley had as a result of their promotion.
This makes a lot of sense. Brentford have done well, if we could achieve the same I'm sure we would all be very happy.

Dubai Blue

Post by Dubai Blue » Tue Mar 12, 2024 8:02 am

That's true and yes the office is in Makati and I don't usually get out in Manila much past Makati tbh.

But the country as a whole has some wonderful places as I'm sure you know.

rossi

Post by rossi » Tue Mar 12, 2024 10:22 am

Dubai Blue wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2024 8:02 am

That's true and yes the office is in Makati and I don't usually get out in Manila much past Makati tbh.

It certainly does - Boracay and Iloilo being among my favourites. I just steer clear of the most Southern island - Mindanao - due to the constant terrorist threat

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Tue Mar 12, 2024 11:32 pm

rossi wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2024 10:22 am
Dubai Blue wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2024 8:02 am

It certainly does - Boracay and Iloilo being among my favourites. I just steer clear of the most Southern island - Mindanao - due to the constant terrorist threat

I must be in a minority but I actually disliked Boracay and was so disappointed when I went there. It maybe because I expected so much more having read so much about the place, but for me it was over commercialised and tacky and yet another example of a once beautiful island over exploited by overselling tourism.

goldandblack

Post by goldandblack » Wed Mar 13, 2024 9:34 pm

.Re: If we get to the Premier League ?
Post by RRanger » Mon Mar 11, 2024 7:52 pm

.Re: If we get to the Premier League ?
posted by Gold and Black - Wed March 13 , 2024 20;50 pm

All sounds good but in reality after a couple of season all club fans want more, its just human nature, 3 seasons ago in Div 1 town fans would have loved the Town in the top half of the Championship challenging for the top, now if the Town lose a couple of games it all goes pears up.

take Bolton, Blackburn, Stoke, etc etc, small clubs settled in the premier not that long ago with good managers, you'd think there fans would love being settled mid table in the premier, but the new young fans you acquire once there want even more, Managers are sacked, now these clubs are back in the lower leagues those same new fans are gone. Bolton, Derby good examples,
Last edited by goldandblack on Wed Mar 13, 2024 9:51 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Mar 14, 2024 8:34 am

It will be the same here G&B, if we get promoted by the time October swings around there will be thousands moaning about how p*ss poor we are and it's not fun anymore, and the likes of Wilf, I & others will say "we told you so" :wink:

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Thu Mar 14, 2024 11:25 am

I've said many times before, promotion to PL benefits primarily, the Club owners, players, manager, and players agents etc ...little if any benefit will the fans actually get . In fact we'll pay through the nose, for less games, and never on a Saturday , and get thrashed almost every week. Ask a Luton fan if they are really enjoying their season.