Championship - Cardiff City vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Hold on to 2nd place on the table?

Cardiff Win
7%
Ipswich Win
71%
Draw
21%

Total votes: 14

Frosty
Forum Owner

Championship - Cardiff City vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Frosty » Wed Mar 06, 2024 10:16 pm

Image Cardiff City v Ipswich TownImage

Saturday 9th March 2024 – 12:30

Cardiff City Stadium

Pre-Match Thoughts - Mike

I must confess, at times I am really struggling to comprehend or put into words what I am witnessing this season, every time our team steps out onto the pitch they never cease to amaze me, just when you think you have seen it all they go and top it with something more outrageous, we never give up, we never know when we are beaten, we never accept second best and we never fail to entertain, they also never fail to give me heart palpitations which seem to get worse with every passing game.

It may have taken nearly the whole season but people are finally starting to take notice of us and speak about us as potentially the real deal in this craziest of promotion races and while I am not sure I want the added attention and expectation that goes with it, it has to be said it's about bloody time. TV pundits, opposition fans, you name it suddenly think Ipswich Town might just do the unthinkable. It really does come to something when you hear Leicester fans saying how they are jealous of us fans what with the drive and never say die attitude with which we approach games, some say they yearn for that level of entertainment as they stumble and splutter their way through games, it really is quite incredible but that's exactly how it is right now.

The game against Bristol City had to be seen to be believed, for Sixty Five minutes it was dross of the highest order, boring doesn't come close and City have to be applauded for the way they stifled us, a pretty uneventful First half certainly didn't give notice for what was to follow but boy did it explode into life. For me the game changing moment came when the ever alert Nahki Wells tricked his way into our box before unleashing a curling effort that came smashing back off the bar. with the Robins already a goal up thanks to some poor Town defending that really would have been a bridge too far, even for this absurd Town team, Axel, Mass and co can be a bit disappointed with their defending for the opening goal and while it also took a bit of a deflection it was no more than we deserved although it should not go unnoticed that there was a blatant foul on a Town player in the build up.

In a game we needed to win and with our backs once more against the wall Kieran McKenna rolled the dice with a quadruple substitution which was to have an unbelievable effect on proceedings, suddenly it was like a different game which also brought the otherwise subdued crowd to life. Within a minute or Two Wes Burns had begun to terrorise the City defence, he was on fire and they just couldn't handle him, from one marauding run Burns beat Two defenders before crossing to Davis at the far edge of the box, the defender let rip with a shot which Al-Hamadi, who had also only just came on, managed to toe poke past the lunging dive of the keeper to send Portman Road wild with delight, game on again.

Just when we all thought it was advantage Town we somehow contrive to shoot ourselves in the foot once more, if only we could defend we would probably already be up. A worldy saved from Hladky kept the scores level but what followed moments later was criminal, a long high ball was played down Town's left and Leif Davis inexplicably leaves it when he could have easily got something on it, the attacker somehow sends over a peach of a cross just before the ball goes out and the completely unmarked Conway loops a header over Hladky to put then back in front, for me the whole passage of play was garbage from Town and it looked for all the world like it was going to cost us big time.

But this is the 2024 version of ITFC and there was no way on god's earth they were going to roll over, not a chance, within a minute or Two of going behind we got ourselves back on level terms yet again, this time Davis was the hero as he placed a freekick right onto the head of Conor Chaplin who got across his man to guide a header goalward which keeper O'Leary could only help into the net, it was trademark Town, trademark Davis and most definitely trademark Chaplin, if it was loud after the first Town this took it to another level.

By now Town could smell blood and with the city players visibly wilting under the pressure we went looking for the winner and thanks to another lung busting run from Wes Burns we were handed a Golden opportunity as the ref correctly awarded us a penalty after the welshman was downed inside the area, after a what seemed like an eternity it was surprisingly Al-Hamadi who placed the ball on the spot and not Chaplin, it was at this point I turned to HallamBlue and said "you know he misses this don't you" and sure enough he produces a strike that was softer than what a blind man with Ricketts could have served up, it was that bad, the hush around the stadium said it all, our chance had surely gone, don't be stupid, this is McKenna's Ipswich.

Five Minutes of intense Town pressure had passed since the penalty shocker when we had another glorious break forward with just a minute of normal time left on the clock. Leif Davis found himself through on goal and hits a shot across the advancing keeper that looks goalbound, a vain attempt by a defender to keep it out only helps it into the net and what follows is just insane celebration from everyone inside the stadium, the fans were going delirious, young and old hugging total strangers while po-going up and down, people falling down the stairs while still punching the air in sheer delight, others running up and down the aisles high fiving fellow supporters, you had to be there, the players to a man celebrated in the corner while the bench erupted into scenes of utter jubilation, never have I seen such emotion at a goal and I have seen a fair few in my time.

With Eight minutes of injury time to navigate we usually find ourselves biting our nails, not on this craziest of nights however, we went looking for a Fourth would you believe, Jack Taylor smashed one from distance off the post, Sarmiento saw his follow up saved, Chaplin had an effort blocked and Burns fired the rebound high and wide, what a barmy finish to the most unpredictable of games. The referee's whistle brought yet more crazy celebrations and the standing ovation for the players and the manager was more meaningful than most I can remember, a night I will not forget for a long long time.

The upshot of all that madness is that we are now on a Six game winning run and still in second spot with everything to play for, the Town bandwagon heads off to Cardiff City this weekend for yet another live on Sky TV contest, it promises to be another tough game against a team who you never really know what to expect from them, their season is in danger of petering out to mid table obscurity and that may just help us get the magical number Seven win but as we all know nothing comes easy for this team we all love.

At our best it's another win for me but in truth when were we last at our best ? Against Bristol City we were poor for large spells, at Plymouth average, hanging on at Swansea and we made Rotherham look like Barcelona, if and when we do really turn up we could take someone apart, personally I don't care, I just want that win come the full time whistle, not interested how it comes as long as it does.

I think we may just scrape a narrow odd goal win here to keep the pressure on the other teams at the top, our players will be c*ck-a-hoop after Tuesday and with an extra days rest to what Cardiff will get we may just be that little bit fresher, right now I am off for a coffee, just reliving that game through writing about it exhausts me, such was the emotion of the occasion. Whatever happens in wales on Saturday we can be sure of one thing, the boys will give their all come what may and for that we should be proud and very very thankful. narrow Town win. COYB'S.

The Opposition – Cardiff City FC - Honours

League

First Division
Runners-up: 1923–24

Second Division / Championship
Champions: 2012–13
Runners-up: 1920–21, 1951–52, 1959–60, 2017–18

Third Division
Champions: 1946–47
Runners-up: 1975–76, 1982–83
Play-off winners: 2003

Fourth Division / League Two
Champions: 1992–93
Runners-up: 1987–88, 2000–01

Southern League Second Division
Champions: 1912–13

Cup

FA Cup
Winners: 1926–27
Runners-up: 1924–25, 2007–08

Football League Cup
Runners-up: 2011–12

FA Charity Shield
Winners: 1927

Welsh Cup
Winners (22): 1911–12, 1919–20, 1921–22, 1922–23, 1926–27, 1927–28, 1929–30, 1955–56, 1958–59, 1963–64, 1964–65, 1966–67, 1967–68, 1968–69, 1969–70, 1970–71, 1972–73, 1973–74, 1975–76, 1987–88, 1991–92, 1992–93

The Manager – Erol Bulut

League Table as at 06.03.2024

Form Guide

Cardiff City

13 Feb West Brom 2 - 0 Cardiff City

17 Feb Norwich City 4 – 1 Cardiff City

20 Feb Cardiff City 0 - 0 Blackburn

24 Feb Cardiff City 2 - 1 Stoke City

2 Mar Bristol City 0 - 1 Cardiff City

IpswichTown

17 Feb Swansea City 1 - 2 Ipswich Town

20 Feb Ipswich Town 4 - 3 Rotherham

24 Feb Ipswich Town 3 – 1 Birmingham City

2 Mar Plymouth 0 - 2 Ipswich Town

5 Mar Ipswich Town 3 - 2 Bristol City

Head to Head

Match Referee – Oliver-Langford

CARDIFF CITY 1 IPSWICH TOWN 2

QldBlue

Re: Championship - Cardiff City vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by QldBlue » Wed Mar 06, 2024 11:31 pm

Really great preview Mike, sounds like it was epic in the stands!. I was buzzing all yesterday after an early start to watch the game. On paper and on form, we should win this next one but can we make it 7 in a row? You’d be a fool to bet against this team. I think our momentum will see us grind out another win. All these points are gold ahead of a challenging Easter & April schedule. COYB!!!

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Thu Mar 07, 2024 9:37 am

Both teams are on winning runs. Town have won 6 in a row and Cardiff 3. Can see both these runs ending Saturday as going for a draw.
Cardiff 1 Town 1.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Thu Mar 07, 2024 12:52 pm

Cardiff have picked up 10 points from a possible 18 from their last 6 games whereas Town are 18 from 18 which to me suggests a higher level of momentum. Add to this the drive and motivation our squad currently has I think it may just be enough to see off any threat from Cardiff. Our boys just don’t know when they’re beat, but will know they can’t afford to drop any points if they want to hold onto second place. Yes our run of wins will come to an end soon, but J don’t think it will be this coming Saturday.

Prediction; Cardiff City 1-2 Ipswich Town. 👍⚽️🙏

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Thu Mar 07, 2024 2:23 pm

Yes, great preview, and last paragraph and knowing the lads will give their all, yep 👍👍
They’re all playing for the boss. 100% He has complete respect. No mass rotation and everyone knowing their place and earning their dough whilst keeping in toe with the boss’s vision. Great times.
Chappers goal, and then the surges forward after that for the 3rd……. And then the surges forward AFTER THAT and hitting the post, and unlucky Sarmiento miss……… theyre all TOGETHER!
Something major internally will need to go mammothly tits up for the season to collapse. The boss (and the team) are ON IT.

2-0 win in Cardiff.

Caption:

Erol: “Ref, Kieron says players tired. 476 miles ROUND trip. A ROUND trip. Is that this? ROUND trip.”
Ref: “Come on, Erol, Ipswich is waaaaay over there, man. Give them a break!”

Denny61

Post by Denny61 » Thu Mar 07, 2024 4:50 pm

The lads will be fired up for Cardiff no problem..cos knowing coming back to portman Rd following Saturday to take on Wednesday and that mighty motivation and roar from fans will be something special. .it will be something else..cmon the blues

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Thu Mar 07, 2024 10:47 pm

Burns on fire 🔥 Sat and Broadhead if he’s playing 👍

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Fri Mar 08, 2024 10:55 am

BURNS IS ON FIRE…….
YOUR DEFENCE IS PETRIFIED…..
BURNS IS ON FIRE….. 🔥🔥🔥🔥

shabba

Post by shabba » Fri Mar 08, 2024 11:24 am

Alrighty, lineup predictions:

Hladky

Axel (he is in great form, but can he keep playing all these games?)
Wolfie
Burges
Davis

Morsy
Masimo

Burns
Chaplin
Sarmiento

Moore

I think Burns will defo start and Omari will be moved to the bench, we could then opt to start Sarmiento, usually KM likes to have either him or Hutchinson off the bench, tricky winger vs tired defence etc. I think even if he is fit to travel they won't start Broadhead and he will be a bench option.
I could again see some early subs and in large quantity again as there has been alot of games lately so fresh legs needed, its such a luxury we have!
Taylor likely to get more minutes from the bench to build his match fitness too.

Thanks

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Mar 08, 2024 1:09 pm

My predicted line up is.........

Hladky

Clarke
Burgess
Woolfy
Davis

Morsy
Travis

Burns
Chaplin
Sarmiento

Moore

I think we may see a return to the starting Eleven for Harry Clarke, for me Axel looked to be feeling it on Tuesday against Brizzle City and may well be rested here, I have also gone for Travis in Midfield as frankly I think Mass has been a bit off the pace lately and not on top of his game, a few errors creeping in, I agree that Burns will return, he was in blistering form when he came on so I expect to see the player of the Month (Hutchinson) drop out. Assuming Moore is fit he most likely starts up front.

65 Minutes in and we can probably expect McKenna to ring the changes with the likes of Al-Hamadi, Hutchinson, Harness & Broadhead (if fit) coming on to see us over the line, Taylor and Axel also there should we need to tighten up at the death.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Fri Mar 08, 2024 1:56 pm

Wonder if Taylor might get the nod in midfield?

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Fri Mar 08, 2024 2:04 pm

I’m ok with Taylor going forward in a midfield attacking role but this is another game where we need to be tight defensively at least for the first half and try to go in at HT with a clean sheet. For this job Travis is a far safer option and the one I’d like to see start. I also think we’ll get more out of Travis the more he plays and the more confident he gets.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Fri Mar 08, 2024 3:54 pm

Hmmmm 🤔 on Taylor starting the game. Not 100% convinced with that laddie.

I wouldn't change much from the Bristol City game. I’d even go as far as NOT starting “on fire Wes” and have him coming on 2nd half and noising the place up as a major impact sub, like Tuesday.

Swore id never get sucked into that new football cliche (impact sub 🤦‍♂️) but there you go !

Hopefully Ipswich can be on “the front foot” 🤦‍♂️
What commentator started that sh*t?
“No, they're gonna start on the back foot, Jeff!”
Pretty sure it might’ve been Steven Craigan up here.
“Motherwell have started on the front foot.”
Every game without fail.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Fri Mar 08, 2024 4:10 pm

why make this a 12 noon start. Not only makes it difficult for some to follow but imagine what time the team (or fans) got to set out from Portman Road in order to get their there for the start. Don't envy those traveling but a win should make it worthwhile.

It's been too perfect just recent. Succession of wins once again but we got lucky with it on occasion. An adverse score is surely due. Just believe a number of factors could go against us and they'll maybe sneak it. It's going real good once again, but you got to understand we're not invincible.

Cardiff 2 ITFC 1

trimleyblue
Global Moderator

Post by trimleyblue » Fri Mar 08, 2024 4:29 pm

marko69 wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2024 3:54 pm

I wouldn't change much from the Bristol City game. I’d even go as far as NOT starting “on fire Wes” and have him coming on 2nd half and noising the place up as a major impact sub, like Tuesday.

Swore id never get sucked into that new football cliche (impact sub 🤦‍♂️) but there you go !

Motherwell have started on the front foot.
Every game without fail.
Even in games Motherwell weren't playing in!

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Fri Mar 08, 2024 5:54 pm

trimleyblue wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2024 4:29 pm
marko69 wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2024 3:54 pm

Motherwell have started on the front foot.
Every game without fail.
Even in games Motherwell weren't playing in!
He’s the Motherwell guy on Sportsound.

trimleyblue
Global Moderator

Post by trimleyblue » Fri Mar 08, 2024 10:03 pm

Never mind Marko, it was a poor attempt at a joke!

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Fri Mar 08, 2024 10:14 pm

trimleyblue wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2024 10:03 pm
Aw man, you’re on the front foot with the jokes! :D
I did actually mean to add a laughing emoji on that other post 🤦‍♂️

But Craigan, doesn’t matter what team
Motherwell are playing, he’ll start his report with that….. “The game started with 3rd biggest team in Scotland, Aberdeen on the front foot, but Motherwell have pulled themselves back into it and now they’re on the front foot. I think whoever is more on the front foot could win this game.” 🤦‍♂️

number 9

Post by number 9 » Fri Mar 08, 2024 11:41 pm

marko69 wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2024 10:14 pm
trimleyblue wrote:

Motherwell are playing, he’ll start his report with that….. “The game started with 3rd biggest team in Scotland, Aberdeen on the front foot, but Motherwell have pulled themselves back into it and now they’re on the front foot. I think whoever is more on the front foot could win this game.” 🤦‍♂️
Isn’t there an alternative football thread for this sort of banter? :lol: Not sardonic, just cheeky monkeyish.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Mar 09, 2024 11:58 am

number 9 wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2024 11:41 pm
marko69 wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2024 10:14 pm
trimleyblue wrote:

Isn’t there an alternative football thread for this sort of banter? :lol: Not sardonic, just cheeky monkeyish.
You’re spot on, 9. Can’t help it at times. Its a nightmare. Even the wife asks me why I’m always changing the subject. 🤦‍♂️

Anyway……. Back to Cardiff v Ipswich. You think the lads can start on the front……., sorry; reword that. Can they start on the attack?

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Mar 09, 2024 12:33 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2024 1:09 pm
My predicted line up is.........

Hladky

Clarke
Burgess
Woolfy
Davis

Morsy
Travis

Burns
Chaplin
Sarmiento

Moore

I think we may see a return to the starting Eleven for Harry Clarke, for me Axel looked to be feeling it on Tuesday against Brizzle City and may well be rested here, I have also gone for Travis in Midfield as frankly I think Mass has been a bit off the pace lately and not on top of his game, a few errors creeping in, I agree that Burns will return, he was in blistering form when he came on so I expect to see the player of the Month (Hutchinson) drop out. Assuming Moore is fit he most likely starts up front.

65 Minutes in and we can probably expect McKenna to ring the changes with the likes of Al-Hamadi, Hutchinson, Harness & Broadhead (if fit) coming on to see us over the line, Taylor and Axel also there should we need to tighten up at the death.
Was close, just Mass in for Travis.

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Sat Mar 09, 2024 12:48 pm

Think I would have gone for Travis instead of Mass as I feel Luongo has shown signs of tiredness recently.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Mar 09, 2024 1:14 pm

Exactly my thoughts Tony

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Mar 09, 2024 1:18 pm

Shed on tour wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2024 12:48 pm
Think I would have gone for Travis instead of Mass as I feel Luongo has shown signs of tiredness recently.
Would have been my choice too. Clearly we’re focusing more on attacking play than defending and to be fair to McKenna that’s got us where we are now. Looking at our bench must be scary to any opponents and today is no exception with only one defender in the 9 named subs. Plenty of goals on the bench too with only Walton and Travis who’ve not scored so far this season.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Mar 09, 2024 1:35 pm

The players on our bench today have scored 32 goals so far this season which is more than either Rotherham or Sheffield Wednesday have in total.

Cabanas Blue

Post by Cabanas Blue » Sat Mar 09, 2024 1:39 pm

Phew not a good start and I don't like Vaz punching especially when it's easy to catch.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Mar 09, 2024 1:40 pm

My prediction of a clean sheet (0-2) might be optimistic based on the first 5 minutes of play in which Cardiff have had 5 shots on goal with 3 on target.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Mar 09, 2024 1:41 pm

A very lacklustre start, AGAIN

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Mar 09, 2024 1:47 pm

Cardiff clearly tried to exploit our vulnerability to conceding an early goal before we settle. No way will they be able to keep that up all game but we will need to hold our concentration if we don’t want to concede first.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Mar 09, 2024 1:49 pm

Morsy got away with one there, another day would have been an early yellow card.