Exciting times at Portman Road.

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Exciting times at Portman Road.

Post by Charnwood » Fri Mar 08, 2024 4:35 pm

Apart from maybe some of the big European fixtures I don’t recall even in Sir Bobby’s era being more excited about following our football team. In those days I guess there was far less football exposure and you had to be there to enjoy it and indeed I did and never missed a European night at Portman Road. This season with our multiple exposure on Sky TV and our very own Town TV following town even from afar is so much easier and engaging. I’m just loving this season and don’t really want it to end but indeed it will. Whatever the outcome, this season will be as memorable as any I’ve ever experienced in my 65 years following ITFC and that includes winning the UEFA Cup, the FA Cup, The League Championship and chasing doubles and trebles in the late 70’s. Thank you Gamechanger, thank you Mark Ashton, thank you Kieran McKenna and thank you town players for giving us back our football club. I’d almost given up I would ever see this happen in my life time and here I am realistically thinking we might see Premier League football again at Portman Road. Unbelievable.

Shed on tour

Re: Exciting times at Portman Road.

Post by Shed on tour » Fri Mar 08, 2024 5:10 pm

Charny, spot on. I posted something similar on another thread a couple of days back. It’s hard to believe that just a few years ago it looked more likely that we would drop into League 2 than get back to Championship level.
As you say, thank you to the owners and all the staff at ITFC for bringing life back into our club and for giving us hope for the future regardless how this season ends.

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Fri Mar 08, 2024 6:37 pm

What a fantastic post Andy. It really does get you thinking when someone who has seen all of Ipswich's successes of note makes comparisons like this. There have been some thrilling moments over the years, achievements which are huge for a team and town of this size.
I was only 8 when we won the FA Cup and that was where the roots of my football choice was made. Not that I have any recollection of watching the game. I think I vaguely recall listening to one of the UEFA final legs on a transistor radio! This the result of not growing up in a football supporting household!
Winning the Play-off final at Wembley, beating Inter Milan at home, courtesy of Alun Armstrong's goal, and the fifth placed Premier League campaign are probably my most notable moments, among many exciting games I have seen. However this sustained period of exciting football really is a thrill, even if I don't get to see much live. I would have to say our performance against Hull was amazing, one of the best all round matches I've seen at PR. Couple that with Burn's sublime goal against Coventry and yes for me that's a very good endorsement to the OP.

Now perhaps put yourself into the shoes of someone born in say the mid-90s! All they'll have had is parents/grandparents telling them of the great days of ITFC. You can imagine they are getting an absolute overload now though. We will now be attracting the new generation of ITFC fans, especially those over the Suffolk borders.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Sat Mar 09, 2024 4:10 pm

to summarize Yes you're right this is easily the best time to follow the club name in more years than you can remember. George provided some standout moments at the turn of the century and put together a side that coud challenge the best, one or two european nights and victories with it and while Joe couldn't quite deliver the same level of success some years after it was for a time, a pleasure and exciting to follow the team with hope we could achieve or make it back.

Every manager since Royle to Mckenna tried but failed and only now are we easily on the verge of bringing back good times to the fanbase. Today in Wales is an obvious disappointment but not going to allow one lousy result stand in the way of what should hopefully be a return to the EPL by final time of season.

We've gone from the brink of League Two under Evans to the verge of the top league and making ourselves an established exciting club name once again with the new hierarchy. You got kids out there who have no knowledge or recollection of what it's like to see us achieve or challenge the very best so f*ck today's result and believe we can or will make it back and provide excitement and feasible chance of winning something back to the fanbase.