Championship - Ipswich Town vs Sheffield Wednesday Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Really need to bounce back with a win huh?

Ipswich Win
87%
Wednesday Win
7%
Draw
7%

Total votes: 15

Frosty
Forum Owner

Championship - Ipswich Town vs Sheffield Wednesday Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Frosty » Wed Mar 13, 2024 10:30 pm

Image Ipswich Town vs Sheffield WednesdayImage

Saturday 16th March 2024 - 15:00

Portman Road

Pre-Match Thoughts - Mike

I suppose it was inevitable that at some point in the season we would get a taste of our medicine and that proved to be the case at Cardiff last weekend where a below par Town seemed to have snatched an unlikely win courtesy of another keiffer Moore goal fairly late in the game, however on this occasion it was to be the Blues who were going to succumb to a late late sucker punch as Cardiff piled on the pressure in those dying moments and in doing so found not only One goal but two to give them an unlikely win.

For me Town were not really anywhere near their best at any point in the game although we clearly looked the better side for much of the second half without really ever seemingly in control of affairs but as the game wore on it was the home side who were in the ascendancy and on this occasion the substitutes that kieran makes week after week to win games ultimately proved to be our downfall.

We can speculate all we like as to why Town appeared to drop back and invite Cardiff on to us while attempting to see out the game with the narrowest of leads, some feel it was a tactical ploy while most think we (the players), took it upon themselves to sit in while under intense pressure, tiredness may have been a factor at that point but what ever it was we failed to execute our plan on this occasion. For me personally I don't think there was any message from the boss to drop back and see it out, I honestly don't think Mckenna has that tactic in his locker just yet and with the attacking players we had on the pitch it made no sense to do so, I just think on this occasion the players got it slightly wrong and were punished for it.

More concerning for me was that once again when called upon the defence were not up to it and this is becoming a little bit too frequent and may ultimately prove to be our downfall. The first goal was a real comedy of errors, I can recall Jack Taylor making a right hash of his clearance and instead of finding the centre circle he presents the Cardiff player with an easy chance which was taken, Cameron Burgess will also feel he should have done much better with his poor attempt at a headed clearance from the cross, he totally missed it which began the goalmouth scramble, the second goal was no better with some poor marking and slow decision making, again at the back post Harry Clarke will know he should have done more, I saw Sam Morsy putting his body on the line when the first went in but where was Woolfenden and co ?

What the defeat means is that once again the situation has flip flopped and we are no longer masters of our own destiny but in truth it is so so tight that things are going to swap and change on a weekly basis, possibly down to the final day of the season, I think we have just forgotten what it is like to lose games, that was only the Fifth of the campaign and still that is the best in the division, as disappointed as we all were I personally don't think there is a need for an inquest, we lost a game, end of, nobody goes out with the intention of throwing away Three points, we had won Six in a row and yes Seven would have been fantastic but it often comes across that some expected it to end up seventeen wins in a row come May, that is nuts and some need a sense of perspective.

What we do know is that after the few set backs we have had this season we always bounce back with a positive response and hopefully this continues Saturday when we host a much improved Sheffield Wednesday side who at one point looked down and out but who now have a new manager and much more fight in them, a recent Four game winning run was ended by Leeds last weekend but that run of victories has hauled the Owls right back into the mix and a game that a few weeks ago would have looked a banker home win suddenly has the tag "tricky" attached to it, they will be desperate to take something back to Sheffield with them and their confidence is no longer fragile, Town on the other hand will know they just cannot afford Two defeats in a row if they want to keep their automatic promotion hopes alive, which they very much are at this moment in time so this promises to be a good match up for differing reasons.

I think Kieran Mckenna has One or Two decisions to make with team selection, I feel in recent weeks Massimo Luongo is running out of steam and has lost that cutting edge that served us so well earlier in the campaign, it could be time to give Lewis Travis an extended run, I also think we could do worse than shake up the CB's, while I am not overly keen on George Edmundson we did not lose while he was back in the side and there were less errors than normal so it's possible we could change it up, Right back may well see Axel Tuanzebe return after his rest last week which was needed as he too looked very tired the game before. I know it won't happen but I would start with Al-Hamadi leading line and give kieffer Moore a little rest this week as for me the last Two or Three games have not seen him at his best.

Whoever Town start with we do know every one of them will give their all and with Leeds kicking off later than us this weekend and Leicester City in Cup action it gives us the chance to get ourselves back into the Top Two for a few hours at least while exerting some pressure on those at the top. I think Town will get the job done but again as is always the case it won't be a stroll against opponents who suddenly have plenty to play for themselves, so it's a narrow Town victory and over to you Leeds & Leicester City, this race ain't over yet, not by a long way. COYB'S

The Opposition – Sheffield Wednesday Honours

League

First Division/Premier League

Champions (4): 1902–03, 1903–04, 1928–29, 1929–30

Second Division/Championship

Champions (5): 1899–1900, 1925–26, 1951–52, 1955–56, 1958–59
Runners-up (2): 1949–50, 1983–84
Promoted (1): 1990–91

Third Division/League One

Runners-up (1): 2011–12
Promoted (1): 1979–80
Play-off winners (1): 2004–05, 2022-23

Football Alliance (1)

Champions (1): 1889–90

Cup

FA Cup

Winners (3): 1895–96, 1906–07, 1934–35
Runners-up (3): 1889-90, 1965–66, 1992–93

Football League Cup

Winners (1): 1990–91
Runners-up (1): 1992–93

FA Community Shield

Winners (1): 1935
Runners-up (1): 1930

The Manager – Danny Röhl

League Table as at 12.03.2024

Form Guide

Ipswich Town

20 Feb Ipswich Town 4 - 3 Rotherham

24 Feb Ipswich Town 3 - 1 Birmingham City

2 Mar Plymouth 0 - 2 Ipswich Town

5 Mar Ipswich Town 3 - 2 Bristol City

9 Mar Cardiff City 2 - 1 Ipswich Town

Sheffield Wednesday

17 Feb Millwall 0 - 2 Sheffield Wed

24 Feb Sheffield Wed 2 - 1 Bristol City

2 Mar Rotherham 0 - 1 Sheffield Wed

5 Mar Sheffield Wed 1 - 0 Plymouth

8 Mar Sheffield Wed 0 - 2 Leeds Utd

Head to Head

Match Referee – Leigh Doughty

IPSWICH TOWN 2 SHEFFIELD WEDNESDAY 0

number 9

Re: Championship - Ipswich Town vs Sheffield Wednesday Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by number 9 » Wed Mar 13, 2024 11:00 pm

After a weeks rest and at home, I expect a dominating display against our league one rivals. I know there’s been much debate about Clarke, but just look at goals conceded when he plays. It’s not all his fault, but like Ash said Clarke is regularly caught out of position. I hope Tuanzebe and Travis both start, but who knows what KM may be thinking. Agree Edmundson could add some defensive cover, but who will be dropped? KM has made it known he respects Woolfy’s contribution. If healthy, I think Moore will start as KM has also stated his height and physicality is important in defence. Broadhead will also probably start, although I’m not sure about his fitness. Rossi’s favourite player Burns should and will start, and Chaplin will be chomping at the bit to get another goal. Folks, if we have a chance of automatic these are the games we have to win. My expectation is a comfortable 3-1 win…COYB!!

marko69
Global Moderator

Re: Championship - Ipswich Town vs Sheffield Wednesday Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by marko69 » Thu Mar 14, 2024 12:45 pm

Yep good preview, and hopefully the lads do indeed bounce back after the Cardiff setback.

Certainly think at a packed Portman Road, the job will be done. Hopefully a clean sheet as well to get that horror last 5 minutes out of the players heads.
Going for a 2-0 dominant ITFC win.
COYB’s 👍👌👏👏👏👏👏

Caption:

Danny Rohl: “What is that strange smell?”
Ref: “That’s fresh air, Danny. This ain’t Sheffield!”

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Fri Mar 15, 2024 8:56 pm

Given the current form of both teams, I’d say it’s got draw written all over it. Hope I’m wrong coz we can’t afford to drop any more points. Let’s hope the players come out of the blocks from the first whistle, with a high tempo snd going for the jugular and not do much tippy tappy football in and around our own 18 yard area.

COYBs

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Sat Mar 16, 2024 3:46 am

they've got four wins from last five fixtures or something. That Cardiff result was bullshit, maybe they deserved the win but not in the manner it occurred. One problem we got is losing focus at critical times not to mention a defense that really shouldn't allow as many goals past it as it has. Scoring goals is easily the redeeming factor for the team. Even with pivotal players out we can still score freely.

SWFC are really nothing special this season. Yeah they've had some victories just recent but are situated down near the end of the league and straight return to League One seems imminent. It's ours to lose, we got the players and strength in depth to win it, a vociferous home crowd 25,000 plus and despite last week's collapse we've turned it around and looked up to a point real promotion material once again. It'll be a home team victory, maybe 3 - 1 but a win all the same.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Mar 16, 2024 12:58 pm

Not the best time of the season to be meeting a Wednesday team that’s won 4 of their last six games which is matched or bettered by only 4 other teams in the Championship. Ironically Cardiff City where we struggled last week, our closest rivals Norwich City, Leeds United and ourselves. That suggests a very close battle, however I think last weeks defeat will spring a reaction from our boys who I think will be really up for this game and out to prove their position in the table is no fluke. For me the key to this game is which team scores first and an early goal will probably decide the outcome.
I’m hoping town will score in the first 15 minutes and if we do I think we’ll go on and win convincingly. Wednesday however are very good at keeping first half clean sheets and if they do it’s possible the home crowd could get frustrated and the players too which wouldn’t be good. If that happens or even worse Wednesday score first I think we’d most likely have to settle for a draw. Given those two scenarios I’m going brave and banking on McKenna having a plan to send The Owls home empty handed.
Prediction; Town 3 - 0 Wednesday

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Mar 16, 2024 1:44 pm

There is a Wednesday vote up there. Must've been a SheffWed fan ---->>>> SURELY?

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Mar 16, 2024 3:08 pm

No Chaplin in squad, Tuanzebe in for Clarke and Hutchinson in for Chaplin

JohnnyB

Post by JohnnyB » Sat Mar 16, 2024 3:22 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2024 3:08 pm
Whatever three play behind it always looks good.

On a purely selfish note I had Chaplin as first scorer so that's advantage Daz in the glamour tie of the TB Cup quarters :wink:

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Mar 16, 2024 4:10 pm

JohnnyB wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2024 3:22 pm
Bluemike wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2024 3:08 pm
Whatever three play behind it always looks good.

On a purely selfish note I had Chaplin as first scorer so that's advantage Daz in the glamour tie of the TB Cup quarters :wink:
Me too Johnny. Anyone bar Moore to score first then 🙏

At least you got 2 points for Coventry’s win which was a great prediction. I can’t think many of us will have predicted that outcome. 👏

lucy

Post by lucy » Sat Mar 16, 2024 4:18 pm

I've had to sit this one out. I'm stuck Home with Bronchitis

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Mar 16, 2024 4:19 pm

1-0 ⚽️⚽️⚽️

How well taken was that by Hutchinson and perfect timing for my prediction.

Cabanas Blue

Post by Cabanas Blue » Sat Mar 16, 2024 4:23 pm

Playing well now need to put this to bed.COYB.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Mar 16, 2024 4:30 pm

Broadhead and Hutchinson both playing so well.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Mar 16, 2024 4:32 pm

Great save from Hladky on 27 mins totally against the run of play. Good that he was awake ! 🤣

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Mar 16, 2024 4:35 pm

We’re so on top but Wednesday look dangerous on the break. An excellent first 30 mins but town do need a second goal to curb their enthusiasm. ⚽️

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Mar 16, 2024 4:41 pm

Yabadabadoo No 2 ⚽️⚽️⚽️ … Cameron Burgess … Town on fire 🔥

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Mar 16, 2024 4:48 pm

Losing at Cardiff has certainly put some fire in their bellies.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Mar 16, 2024 4:51 pm

No 3 from Broadhead what a fantastic worked goal ⚽️⚽️⚽️… assisted by Jackson, 3-0 should be game over.

Shame we didn’t play like this last week.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Mar 16, 2024 4:53 pm

What a convincing 45 minutes that was. 👏👏👏

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Mar 16, 2024 4:55 pm

Not doing our goal difference any harm either. I hope we keep it going in the second half although stay at 3-0 I’ll be happy as that was my prediction.👍👍👍

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Mar 16, 2024 4:58 pm

7 town corners must be a first half record this season ?

Cabanas Blue

Post by Cabanas Blue » Sat Mar 16, 2024 5:03 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2024 4:58 pm
7 town corners must be a first half record this season ?
That was my prediction but it won't stay at 7 😞 pity about Wes.

lucy

Post by lucy » Sat Mar 16, 2024 5:13 pm

What happened to Burns

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Mar 16, 2024 5:13 pm

Here we go again 4-0 Hutchinson ⚽️⚽️⚽️⚽️

It doesn’t get better than this, what a move that was. 👏👏👏

Mauswara

Post by Mauswara » Sat Mar 16, 2024 5:13 pm

whooah

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Mar 16, 2024 5:15 pm

Where was this last weekend ?

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Mar 16, 2024 5:15 pm

lucy wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2024 5:13 pm
What happened to Burns
It looked like he twisted his ankle.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Mar 16, 2024 5:17 pm

ONG, Luongo attempt from the half way line !

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Mar 16, 2024 5:19 pm

I’d love to see Hutchinson get his hat trick.