Ipswich Wonder Kid

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Ipswich Wonder Kid

Post by Charnwood » Sat Mar 23, 2024 12:05 am

According to last nights Manchester Evening News under the heading - “Manchester United 'close to securing' transfer for EFL wonder kid”
Manchester United are reportedly close to signing Ipswich Town's young star, Silva Mexes. The Red Devils have been known for their focus on youth development in the past and it seems they have found another promising player in 14-year-old Mexes.
According to The Secret Scout, United are nearing a deal for the youngster. Mexes has been watched by all the top Premier League clubs while playing for Ipswich, but it looks like he will choose to join Manchester United this summer. Kieran McKenna, the current manager at Ipswich and former assistant coach to Ole Gunnar Solskjaer at United , could be a big influence on Mexes' decision. He has already brought United academy graduates Axel Tuanzebe and Brandon Williams to Ipswich this season.
Tuanzebe, who made 37 senior appearances and had loan spells at Aston Villa, Stoke City and Napoli before joining Ipswich last summer, could provide valuable advice to Mexes on how to succeed at Manchester United. Williams is still part of the team and was doing well on loan in East Anglia before an injury at the end of 2023 stopped him from playing.

I am correct in thinking our former Head of Recruitment recently left us to take up a new post as Head of Recruitment at Manchester United ? If I’m right it hasn’t taken him long to raid one of our most valuable resources. ☹️

shabba

Re: Ipswich Wonder Kid

Post by shabba » Sat Mar 23, 2024 9:03 am

Shows how hard it is to keep good young players and how frustrating it must be for the clubs trying to use youth development as a sustainable way of running a club!

Also reminds me of Philip Mexes - a wonder kid from the early football manager game years. You could buy him for about 200k and he’d be a beast for any club.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Mar 23, 2024 10:11 am

Heard all this with the other Two, one to Man City and the other to Arsenal, they faded into oblivion never to be heard of again.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:07 pm

It happens all the time Mike. When I was at school I played with Brian Talbot who as we all know went on to have a great career, but we had another lad called Joseph Carino (spelling might not be right) who played for England Schoolboys and turned down Ipswich and went to Manchester United. Never heard of him again. It’s so important for young players to choose their clubs wisely as their futures depend completely on getting it right.

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:13 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:07 pm
It happens all the time Mike. When I was at school I played with Brian Talbot who as we all know went on to have a great career, but we had another lad called Joseph Carino (spelling might not be right) who played for England Schoolboys and turned down Ipswich and went to Manchester United. Never heard of him again. It’s so important for young players to choose their clubs wisely as their futures depend completely on getting it right.
You're dead right there Charners, I do wish these young footballers would wait until they are around 18 to 20 before making any decisions, they might be seeing Man U as a huge club but will never grace the Old Trafford playing surface, far better to stick with your club just to see how your playing ability develops and whether you've got the class to play for the 1st team, then if you get approached by a major premier club and want to move on at least your home-grown club will benefit financially as it should.