McKenna's commitment

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Bluemike
Global Moderator

McKenna's commitment

Post by Bluemike » Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:33 pm

shabba

Re: McKenna's commitment

Post by shabba » Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:10 pm

Very diplomatic, measured and sensible answer - you'd expect nothing less.

IMO I'd be amazing if he is still here next season if we don't get prompted, if we do I'd be very confident of keeping him. If a half decent PL side come knocking he'd very likely want to go, and that would be fair enough.

rossi

Post by rossi » Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:19 pm

Yeah, I think that regardless of whether or not we achieve promotion this season, he'll receive interest/offers at Premier level during the close season or maybe even earlier than that.

If we get promotion then I think there is a better than even chance that he'd stay, but if we miss out then nobody could blame him for moving on if he gets the chance.

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:33 pm

Even if we get promoted, there are probably 14 Premier teams that could turn his head. Granted, 6-8 of them are unlikely to be interested in McKenna, but that may still leave around half a dozen mid table teams that I hope keep their managers at the end of the season.

I'm sure he would absolutely relish the challenge of taking Ipswich further, but you can't say if a team like Wolves have a poor finish and come in for him, that he's going to turn it down point blank.

Oh and that interview and any comments he makes means absolutely nooooooooooothing, with a capital ooooooooo!

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:40 pm

Depends how much he genuinely is invested in the project here, fwiw I think he'll be here next season regardless of what League we are in.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:13 pm

I've always felt he'll stay another season regardless of promotion. Hearing him speak about his commitment to ITFC, and about he and his family's love for the area. He's still very young for a manager; there's no hurry for him to move up. In the same mode he conducts his training and player management, I'd bet his self-voice is keeping his feet on the ground. Of course, people change their minds for various reasons.

Mauswara

Post by Mauswara » Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:57 pm

Ricco wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:33 pm
Even if we get promoted, there are probably 14 Premier teams that could turn his head. Granted, 6-8 of them are unlikely to be interested in McKenna, but that may still leave around half a dozen mid table teams that I hope keep their managers at the end of the season.

I'm sure he would absolutely relish the challenge of taking Ipswich further, but you can't say if a team like Wolves have a poor finish and come in for him, that he's going to turn it down point blank.

Oh and that interview and any comments he makes means absolutely nooooooooooothing, with a capital ooooooooo!
Bill McGarry left Town for Wolves shortly after we had gained promotion to the First Division. I was at PR in '68 to see the 1-1 draw that sealed our promotion.

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:32 pm

Mauswara wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:57 pm
Bill McGarry left Town for Wolves shortly after we had gained promotion to the First Division. I was at PR in '68 to see the 1-1 draw that sealed our promotion.
So if history does repeat itself, then McKenna will naturally be replaced by the next Bobby Robson? That is fine by me!