Championship - Coventry City vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Everything to play for ............

Coventry Win
No votes
Ipswich Win
72%
Draw
28%

Total votes: 18

Andym

Re: Championship - Coventry City vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Andym » Tue Apr 30, 2024 10:50 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2024 10:41 pm
Bluemike wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2024 9:26 pm
Will lose this now 100%
To be honest Mike I don’t think we ever looked like losing tonight. Of course it was tense but defensively we looked solid even Tuanzabe and Edmundson, and upfront I think we always had a goal in us whenever it was really needed.

Saturday I think we’ll absolutely batter Huddersfield and win by 4-0 or more.

You can go on your hols and not even think about it, there’s no way McKenna will let this slip away now.
I hope not. I’m on holiday for the week of the playoffs. And supposed to be at a wedding for the playoff final.
Just realised I’ve never seen a top flight football match. Watched Luton from 1960 (they were in the Cup final in 59 and relegated the following season) until 1972. Then moved to Suffolk, played local football and eventually started watching Ipswich in the Joe Royle era, the first season were made the playoffs. Been to several international matches but never been to a prem match (or 1st division). Nearly there….

QldBlue

Post by QldBlue » Tue Apr 30, 2024 10:50 pm

Everyone saying we just need a point… but Leeds have to beat Southampton to have a chance and after 3 losses in a row, I think Southampton will go hard.

TODD66
Posting Game Moderator

Post by TODD66 » Tue Apr 30, 2024 10:55 pm

QldBlue wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2024 10:50 pm
Everyone saying we just need a point… but Leeds have to beat Southampton to have a chance and after 3 losses in a row, I think Southampton will go hard.
For sure.

Southampton are going to want to hit the playoffs on a positive note.

Cabanas Blue

Post by Cabanas Blue » Tue Apr 30, 2024 10:57 pm

The weather is going to be good in the Algarve Mike around 24 degs from Saturday enjoy and relax 🏖

number 9

Post by number 9 » Tue Apr 30, 2024 11:00 pm

If last season is anything to go by, I believe we’ll win convincingly. I’m not even gonna entertain the idea we’ll lose. This team has proved me wrong so many times, but I’m 100% sure we’ll win…and achieve automatic promotion once again going down in the history books of being the best football team in East Anglia!!

Mariner67

Post by Mariner67 » Tue Apr 30, 2024 11:16 pm

Wow what a night,brilliant,it was a bit scary at times,we've nearly gone & done it,1 foot in the prem,over the moon :D :D :D

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Tue Apr 30, 2024 11:23 pm

TODD66 wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2024 10:55 pm
QldBlue wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2024 10:50 pm
For sure.

Southampton are going to want to hit the playoffs on a positive note.

… and given the most likely Play Off final will be Leeds v Southampton neither side are likely to want to loose on Saturday to give the other side a confidence boost. I think it’s a nailed on draw.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Tue Apr 30, 2024 11:28 pm

Can you imagine how the American ownership & Mark Ashton feel right now? Hate to bring up skeletons in the closet, but Marcus Evans should take notice. When you invest in a product or service, you have to create a business plan for success. If ITFC were a tangible asset, you have to put that asset in the position to grow with innovation and marketing. What a brilliant job our owners have done to not only re-emphasize our brand, but also to make astute decisions to ensure success. Don’t forget that folks, as you question the ethics of foreign investment in English football. It’s certainly paying off for us, and the owners.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Wed May 01, 2024 12:09 am

QldBlue wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:36 am
number 9 wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:45 pm
I have a background in journalism, and I have to say Mike your writing is very good! Nice preview! I’m off Tuesday, but I’m debating whether or not to watch the match. There’s a lot of emotions involved that I’m having trouble explaining. On the one hand I don’t think I can sit through a loss, but on the other hand I don’t wanna miss it if we win. Any suggestions?
I know what you mean but seasons like this are so rare. At the end of the day, you really wouldn’t want to miss a thing. Watching the Exeter game live last year was incredible. I’ll be up at 5 am Wednesday morning, intravenous coffee drip, ready for some serious stress!
Btw, thanks for convincing me to watch the game!

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Wed May 01, 2024 12:22 am

number 9

Post by number 9 » Wed May 01, 2024 12:40 am

hallamblue wrote:
Wed May 01, 2024 12:22 am
End of game scenes : awesome

https://twitter.com/i/status/1785436934887625203
What are you still doing up? It’s exciting times right now, I’m trying to get my immediate family to accompany me in a visit to Ipswich next year. If it all pans out would love to meet you and buy you a pint of cider!

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Wed May 01, 2024 5:50 am

I didn't follow the game closely, I was aware of the HT score and when we were 2-1. Also watching score updates as extra time played out at a painfully slow rate and that was stressful enough! That apart I was able to enjoy the evening fully without a repeat of the Hull game and the emotions which went with it!
I am delighted with the result, absolutely over the moon, however it isn't over yet. Yes we should win on Saturday, our home form tells me we shouldn't lose either. This is the Championship we are on about though, where teams like Blackburn can go and get a result at a previously unbeaten at home Leeds side (before it is said, i know there was more riding on that game). I remember many seasons ago the team at the top (possibly Bolton???( had had a fantastic season, whereas the bottom team, already relegated, (Doncaster I believe) had been dire all season long. However the bottom team sprang a surprise victory totally against the odds.
Sorry to sound like the harbinger of doom, but it ain't over yet. I do not want to be going into that last 75 minutes this weekend still at level scores, because I fear I know just what will happen!!

JohnnyB

Post by JohnnyB » Wed May 01, 2024 6:55 am

AzzurroMark wrote:
Wed May 01, 2024 5:50 am
I didn't follow the game closely, I was aware of the HT score and when we were 2-1. Also watching score updates as extra time played out at a painfully slow rate and that was stressful enough! That apart I was able to enjoy the evening fully without a repeat of the Hull game and the emotions which went with it!
I am delighted with the result, absolutely over the moon, however it isn't over yet. Yes we should win on Saturday, our home form tells me we shouldn't lose either. This is the Championship we are on about though, where teams like Blackburn can go and get a result at a previously unbeaten at home Leeds side (before it is said, i know there was more riding on that game). I remember many seasons ago the team at the top (possibly Bolton???( had had a fantastic season, whereas the bottom team, already relegated, (Doncaster I believe) had been dire all season long. However the bottom team sprang a surprise victory totally against the odds.
Sorry to sound like the harbinger of doom, but it ain't over yet. I do not want to be going into that last 75 minutes this weekend still at level scores, because I fear I know just what will happen!!
Mckenna won't allow the team to get ahead of themselves. They'll do the research, watch the videos, give Huddersfield respect and then go and beat them. I really can't see us falling at this hurdle

valleyroad

Post by valleyroad » Wed May 01, 2024 7:40 am

AzzurroMark wrote:
Everyone is assuming Leeds will beat Southampton. I'm not so sure.
As i've said before i'd much rather need a point against Huddersfield than need to beat Southampton.
You are right though its not over yet and still work to be done.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed May 01, 2024 8:02 am

AzzurroMark wrote:
Like Dubai Blue said yesterday though —->> Need to get used to trusting the manager. Have confidence in him. Forget what shitty Doncaster did ——>> its Ipswich with Championship manager of the year in charge.

Got to be honest, past two games, Hull & Cov ——>> on HERE has been more stressful than the games. 🤦‍♂️ :lol:

ITFC 6 Udders 0 ——->> HALF TIME!

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed May 01, 2024 8:25 am

Cabanas Blue wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2024 10:57 pm
The weather is going to be good in the Algarve Mike around 24 degs from Saturday enjoy and relax 🏖
Yes mate I saw that!! Can't wait and hopefully a promotion to celebrate there too !!

shabba

Post by shabba » Wed May 01, 2024 9:04 am

Another heart rate rollercoaster, I'd geninely like to be hooked up to some monitors and get the data from the match. Despite not drinking - I actually feel hung over today!

Huge amount of excitement now, with some nerves still there too. Just cannot wait for Sat, wonder if there is anything being planned suchg as coach welcome, a flags display or such? Part of me feels we should maybe not do that and try and keep level heads, treat it as a normal game etc.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Wed May 01, 2024 9:05 am

number 9 wrote:
Wed May 01, 2024 12:40 am
hallamblue wrote:

What are you still doing up? It’s exciting times right now, I’m trying to get my immediate family to accompany me in a visit to Ipswich next year. If it all pans out would love to meet you and buy you a pint of cider!
Lol, I couldn't sleep!!!! My adrenaline was through the roof.

Oh that'd be brilliant to meet up with you number .9.... I expect Mike would too , assuming he's not globe trotting himself lol. That's a date then ....

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Wed May 01, 2024 9:05 am

Bluemike wrote:
Wed May 01, 2024 8:25 am
Cabanas Blue wrote:
Yes mate I saw that!! Can't wait and hopefully a promotion to celebrate there too !!
Taking your Town shirt?

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Wed May 01, 2024 9:26 am

shabba wrote:
Wed May 01, 2024 9:04 am
Another heart rate rollercoaster, I'd geninely like to be hooked up to some monitors and get the data from the match. Despite not drinking - I actually feel hung over today!

Huge amount of excitement now, with some nerves still there too. Just cannot wait for Sat, wonder if there is anything being planned suchg as coach welcome, a flags display or such? Part of me feels we should maybe not do that and try and keep level heads, treat it as a normal game etc.
Lol, I think the results would scare you shabba!

I have a glucose monitor on atm and last my blood glucose went through the roof, and stress is one of the gjknfs thst pushes up cortisol and blood sugars lol ..... no wonder I'm a fat tub o lard lol
Last edited by hallamblue on Wed May 01, 2024 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed May 01, 2024 9:30 am

hallamblue wrote:
Wed May 01, 2024 9:05 am
Bluemike wrote:
Wed May 01, 2024 8:25 am
Cabanas Blue wrote:
Taking your Town shirt?
Deffo

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Wed May 01, 2024 9:31 am

Never in doubt was it :lol:

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Wed May 01, 2024 9:38 am

When you have that short drive into work, your memory stick on random play and "we are the champions" comes on! You just know! :wink: :D

Disclaimer: poster is aware that we are not, and cannot be champions, however it certainly feels like we are!

QldBlue

Post by QldBlue » Wed May 01, 2024 9:41 am

hallamblue wrote:

F***ing love stuff like this. Just like every one of those Town in 5 clips, you can feel the spirit and solidarity in the squad. Reminds me of the last promoted team back in 2000. We had quality but the team spirit lifted every performance.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed May 01, 2024 9:50 am

hallamblue wrote:

Superb stuff 👍👌👏👏👏👏

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Wed May 01, 2024 10:50 am

Looks like Chambo was at the game judging by this post on TWTD

“ Basuco the younger, who was able to get to the game, said he loved Chambo running from media duties and doing a fist pump and after most Cov had left and quite a lot of Town fans who took off top layers to reveal Town shirts in the home end. Post match singing in the car park. What a night, gutted I could not be there, he described it as Barnsley last year and a whole lot more.”

Lol :lol:

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Wed May 01, 2024 11:13 am

Chambo was pitch side working for Sky TV alongside former Coventry player Clinton Morrison who was full of praise for Kieran McKenna who he described as every players dream manager.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Wed May 01, 2024 4:14 pm

Huddersfield won't or can't win at Portman Road next weekend to mess things up. They can't really survive a relegation with their goal difference from others so how much will they be trying to win when the time arises. That's just about it now, we're going to be promoted, nothing can feasibly stand in the way of it although got to admit it'd be kind of strange seeing the club name as Premier League status for first time since 2002.

Not so easy to forget the decay and years of decline with Marcus Evans and whole list of awful managerial appointments for the most part between then and now, it's been a struggle and then some but everything has just fitted together since new ownership and McKenna were introduced. Concern sometimes how long can the manager feasibly remain in place as his profile continues to rise but guess you just got to look to the positives right now and not worry much about future events.

Years and years of unmitigated sh*t, going nowhere, achieving nothing, all of the sudden the pieces fall into place and we got successive promotions (all but confirmed) and so what if they were runners-up each time. It's been way beyond expectations of everyone here, perhaps the best thing is just a relief to see the club name recognized once again. For too long we disappeared off radar, became lost, in fact almost obliterated, while now people have to sit up and take notice. Maybe that's not the best aspect of the last 2 seasons but arguably a primary factor of what has become.

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Wed May 01, 2024 6:25 pm

arana peligrosa wrote:
Wed May 01, 2024 4:14 pm
Huddersfield won't or can't win at Portman Road next weekend to mess things up. They can't survive a relegation with their goal difference from others so how much will they be trying to win when the time arises? That's just about it now, we're going to be promoted, and nothing can feasibly stand in the way of it although got to admit it'd be kind of strange seeing the club name as Premier League status for the first time since 2002.

Not so easy to forget the decay and years of decline with Marcus Evans and the whole list of awful managerial appointments for the most part between then and now, it's been a struggle and then some but everything has just fitted together since new ownership and McKenna were introduced. Concern sometimes how long can the manager feasibly remain in place as his profile continues to rise but guess you have to look to the positives right now and not worry much about future events.

Years and years of unmitigated sh*t, going nowhere, achieving nothing, all of a sudden the pieces fall into place and we got successive promotions (all but confirmed) and so what if they were runners-up each time. It's been way beyond the expectations of everyone here, perhaps the best thing is just a relief to see the club name recognized once again. For too long we disappeared off the radar, became lost, in fact almost obliterated, while now people have to sit up and take notice. Maybe that's not the best aspect of the last 2 seasons but arguably a primary factor of what has become.
If and when Kieran leaves us for maybe Man Utd?? I would like to see Mark Robins as the next Ipswich manager, he has done marvels to the Coventry squad in his 10-year tenure and is an outstanding manager, as I thought Coventry played very well against us and they have had a super season.