Championship - Ipswich Town vs Huddersfield Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

I would settle for a draw ..................

Ipswich Win
95%
Huddersfield Win
No votes
Draw
5%

Total votes: 20

Frosty
Forum Owner

Championship - Ipswich Town vs Huddersfield Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Frosty » Wed May 01, 2024 11:23 pm

Image Ipswich Town v Huddersfield Town Image

Saturday 4th May 2024 – 12:30

Portman Road

Pre-match Thoughts – Mike

WOW, JUST WOW !!!!! After so many highs this season it really is hard to keep digging up new superlatives for what this team we all love keep coming up with, just when you think you've seen it all they go One better. It would be wrong of me to not to admit I had my reservations going into Tuesday nights game against the Sky Blues of Coventry City, nerves, trepidation, the fear of missing out on the biggest prize in English Football, call it what you will but something inside me just had me so edgy it was untrue, like something I have never felt in truth, and yet by the close of play what had I been worrying about ? This is Kieran McKenna's Ipswich Town and I should really have known better, they don't often fail to please and they NEVER let us down where effort and commitment is concerned and that was what got us to the very cusp of promotion to the Premier League.

The game was never going to be easy, despite many claiming that Coventry had run out of steam, or that their heads had gone following the Semi-Final heartbreak, there was talk of an injury crisis within their ranks and kids would get their chance, the feeling was they would not be up for it, yeah right, that all proved to be a load of old tosh as they more than made a game of it to keep everyone's nerves in tatters for the 102 minutes that we all had to endure.

Going ahead so early was a gift from above as kieffer Moore's lovely finish following great work by Wes Burns helped to settle those early nerves and allowed us to play our game. I thought for the opening 15-20 minutes we were excellent and Coventry barely laid a glove on us, it was pleasing on the eye and not too unbearable to watch at that stage but man that was about to change.

Gradually Coventry started to get a foothold in the game as we seemed to stop playing and retreated a bit too much for my liking, there was way too much time to go for us to be inviting them on to us and with the quality in their side it was a disaster waiting to happen. One goalmouth scramble almost saw them draw level but that man Burns was on the goal line to somehow keep it out and quite how Hladky managed to save the follow up from right in front of goal was anyone's guess, it was world class and went some way to atoning for his gaff at Hull. Town defenders were throwing themselves in front of anything and everything in a bid to defend the most precious of leads.

We did carry a threat on the break though and following more good work from the inspired Wes Burns we almost got a Two goal cushion but their keeper somehow kept out Nathan Broadheads downward header when it looked for all the world like he was going to give us a crucial Two goal lead. Thankfully we limed our way to half time with our slender lead intact but it was abundantly clear we had to up our game if we were to prevail come the full time whistle.

The second began far more even with Town having more of the ball and it was Broadhead who again came close to giving us some breathing space, unfortunately this time he slammed his effort onto the bar and away to safety, it was so so close but not to be. Ten minutes later there was disaster for Town as Coventry levelled, Hadji Wright's shot flying under the body of the diving Hladky who will feel he should have done better. This was the cue for McKenna to make some changes with Hirst & Sarmiento entering the fray.

It was long before sarmiento was testing their keeper with a long range effort but minutes later their was elation once more in the Town ranks as we again got ourselves back in front. A Davis free kick found it's way to the back post where Town's Two Centre backs somehow combined to fashion a chance from which Cameron Burgess scored to become an unlikely potential hero. The game swung form end to end after that although it was the Town who were having the better chances, none more so than when Hutchinson appeared to be felled in the box when in a shooting position only for the ref to waive appeals aside, we just don't get penalties.

Town did have a few more chances to give the scoreline a better look but in truth we saw out the final minutes quite comfortably although it did not feel like it at the time. The celebrations at the end told you just what a vitally important win this was and just how close we had put ourselves to back to back promotions. The celebrations in the away end were unbelievable and went on and on.

Of course now the dust has settled it has to be acknowledged that as it stands we have achieved nothing, there is a big big job to do on Saturday and the pressure will be untold, the atmosphere will be electric but also very tense, yes Huddersfield have little to play for and are down, yes they hate Leeds and would love to scupper their plans but they are professionals and won't want to roll over on Sky TV. this is in our hands to do what we have to do and if we play the way we can it will be good enough, just cast your minds back to Lincoln a couple of season's ago, 36 shots or something outrageous to their One and we lost one nil, nothing is certain, stay focused on the job in hand Town and do not get wrapped up in the emotion of it all.

I can only close by saying this Saturday is a monumental day in Town's history, One of the biggest days for many many years, the prize is enormous and changes our standing in Football big time, 150 million of TV income followed by parachute payments should we come back down again, that is a ridiculous sum of money that helps with the plans going forward. This is our destiny, it is our time and it changes the future massively, a generation of young Town fans have never witnessed what we are sitting on the cusp of right now and it is hard to take in. When I think back to not too long ago and standing on the terraces at a dank Rochdale with 300 hardy souls, or a bitterly cold and windswept Fleetwood it sends shivers down my spine as to how far we have come, it brings a tear to my eye writing this and what awaits us should we succeed, we all crave it, we all want it, and we all deserve it. Ipswich Town could once again be back in the big time, we are as close as we could be. Please please please Town give it your all as I know you will and make us the happiest bunch of fans in World Football come Saturday tea time. THIS IS OUR TIME !!!!!!!
IPSWICH TIL I DIE. COYB'S

The Opposition – Huddersfield Town - Honours

League

First Division
Champions: 1923–24, 1924–25, 1925–26
Runners-up: 1926–27, 1927–28, 1933–34

Second Division / Championship
Champions: 1969–70
2nd place promotion: 1919–20, 1952–53
Play-off winners: 2017

Third Division / League One
3rd place promotion: 1982–83
Play-off winners: 1995, 2012

Fourth Division / League Two
Champions: 1979–80
Play-off winners: 2004

Cup

FA Cup
Winners: 1921–22
Runners-up: 1919–20, 1927–28, 1929–30, 1937–38

FA Charity Shield
Winners: 1922

Football League Trophy
Runners-up: 1993–94

The Manager – André Breitenreiter

Championship League Table as at 01.05.2024

Form Guide

Ipswich Town

6 Apr Norwich City 1 - 0 Ipswich Town

10 Apr Ipswich Town 0 - 0 Watford

13 Apr Ipswich Town 1 - 1 Middlesbrough

27 Apr Hull City 3 - 3 Ipswich Town

30 Apr Coventry City 1 - 2 Ipswich Town

Huddersfield FC

6 Apr Huddersfield 1 - 0 Millwall

9 Apr Preston 4 - 1 Huddersfield

13 Apr Bristol City 1 - 1 Huddersfield

20 Apr Huddersfield 0 - 4 Swansea City

27 Apr Huddersfield 1 - 1 Birmingham City

Head to Head

Match Referee – Simon Hooper

IPSWICH TOWN 3 HUDDERSFIELD TOWN 1

Ohiotractorboy

Re: Championship - Ipswich Town vs Huddersfield Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Ohiotractorboy » Thu May 02, 2024 12:55 am

It makes me extremely nervous to see all the celebratory YouTube post for Ipswich going up, and not just Ipswich fans posting them. Leeds is not going to lose Saturday. We have to focus and be business like in a cacophony of noise at Portman Road.

Luckily, I believe McKenna will keep the boys focussed for a 2-1 win. I am nauseous thinking about it already.

USATractorBoy

Post by USATractorBoy » Thu May 02, 2024 1:15 am

I will not be excited until that final whistle blows and promotion is clinched.

Whilst Huddersfield is already down and really nothing to play for, still cannot take them lightly by any means. Need to go out there and put our foot on the gas from the first kick, take a nice lead into halftime, and just see it out.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Thu May 02, 2024 6:32 am

OMG what a season, and what a final day ig could be. I just hope and pray our lads can get this over the line. I don’t want a draw, I want us to go for a win, and McKenna and the players will too, I’m sure. No silly soft goals gifted to Huddersfield and should be there - hopefully. But I’m taking nothing for granted.

COYBS 💙

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Thu May 02, 2024 7:54 am

Going to assume, barring the Play-offs, this is the final preview of the season.
Thanks very much for the season long previews, they’ve been excellent and appreciate they’ll take a chunk of your spare time to create, so cheers. 👍👌

Head seeing a realistic 3-0 win in this. Maybe a 3-1 if Hanky is going to carry on having one hairy moment per game. Heart says a convincing “pumping of Udders!”

If i was an Ipswich based supporter, i’d be treating saturday like a “PARTY DAY” from the moment I wake up in the morning. Wouldnt let ANY “What if” type scenarios ruin my day even though they exist. Feck that. Embrace the enormity of what’s about to happen and really get into the spirit of it.

Visualise…….. the players and family, on the pitch wearing (already made & printed) “BACK IN THE BIG TIME” t-shirts. It’ll happen.

Meanwhile @ Elland Road……. Leeds choke.

Caption:

Udders boss: “In all seriousness, with my most serious of serious faces, we aim to make a big upset today.”
Ref: “Yep, ok Andrè. No worries.”

rossi

Post by rossi » Thu May 02, 2024 9:15 am

Huddersfield are definitely not going to roll over and let us have it all our own way.

Nothing is settled yet, and we need to deliver a good solid performance on Saturday and keep focus.

I think predictions of a 3+ goal margin for us are widely off the mark - I'm expecting us to win provided we are totally focussed, but more than likely just by the odd goal.

Treat the day as a party day by all means, but only because it's the final day of the season. I'm certainly not going to tempt fate by celebration promotion before it actually happens, but I am expecting to be celebrating wildly from around 14:30 on Saturday

QldBlue

Post by QldBlue » Thu May 02, 2024 10:11 am

Looking at this game as just another fixture i.e. without considering any of the consequences… based on form alone, coming off the back of two strong performances, playing at home, I would expect us to win this comfortably. Even with everything that’s at stake, I think we’ll be too strong. I feel like we’ve been building up to another big home showing and McKenna will have them focused and ready.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Thu May 02, 2024 10:13 am

Im liking the last two posts guys :)

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Thu May 02, 2024 11:00 am

You don’t like the last 3 posts, Hallam? About visualising?
Jesus Christ pal, if I lived closer, sure we’d go for a few beers pre & post game……. But youd be NO WHERE near me in Portman Road! :lol:

Dazzz67

Post by Dazzz67 » Thu May 02, 2024 11:39 am

It is going to be a nervy start but feel we will be well up for it. Remember our demolition of Exeter last year to get us up, can see a similar situation if we can score early. Huddersfield will be up for it but will not he able to keep up, but I do not take them as a pushover.

Ipswich 4 Huddersfield 1

number 9

Post by number 9 » Thu May 02, 2024 11:41 am

One game at a time has been the motto. Unless we have a complete plonker, I just can’t see us losing in front of an ecstatic home crowd with so much to play for. Time will tell, I suppose.

For all of you attending the match, have a great day!

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Thu May 02, 2024 11:49 am

I don't know what I'm going to do if this is 0-0 approaching half time. They have to go out and get an early goal to settle their nerves, and more importantly, settle my nerves.

They have to be on it, they are not at the height of their powers at the moment, and the bookies (who know a thing or two), reckon Huddersfield are good for about 10/1 to win this game, that's a slim chance, but not nearly as impossible as many are thinking. This will be horrible until Town get a goal or two.

COYB, end my suffering.

shabba

Post by shabba » Thu May 02, 2024 11:56 am

I'm 80% full of hype and huge exictment, 20% nerves.

I'll be there in the stadium and have told the wife 'if we get the result then I'm home when I'm home :)'

I do feel maybe the coach greeting is addes pressure, and we shouldnt do it, as if we get promoted then by all means have an open top bus parade event ater and really go in on the celebrations then etc.

Would be nice if there was maybe a crowd display in the ground with flags or signs etc instead on the matchday.

Interesting reading Huddersfield fans comments, alot are saying they don't want to win - as they hate Leeds and would rather see us go up!
I wonder if added tickets will be on sale? I mean surely you'd have to be the most dedicated hardcore fan to travel 4+ hours to Ipswich for a 1230 KO, already having been relegated?!
Would be a massive shame if there are any empty seats at the ground.

Hopefully all goes to plan, maybe I'll see some of you in the pubs etc after the game, it could be one mega afternoon.

valleyroad

Post by valleyroad » Thu May 02, 2024 12:23 pm

If Town get the first goal then i think they will hammer Huddersfield.
If they lose the first goal it could be messy.
I'm not convinced Leeds will beat Southampton either.
As for celebrating promotion that is as Rossi says at 2.30pm on Sat !

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Thu May 02, 2024 12:32 pm

marko69 wrote:
Thu May 02, 2024 11:00 am
You don’t like the last 3 posts, Hallam? About visualising?
Jesus Christ pal, if I lived closer, sure we’d go for a few beers pre & post game……. But youd be NO WHERE near me in Portman Road! :lol:
...I said I LIKE the previous two posts...hadnt looked at the ones prior to that tbh lol

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Thu May 02, 2024 12:45 pm

Our match stats when we played them in Oct at their place (OCT 2023 ) offer some comfort.... I know, I'm clutching at straws :lol:

https://www.skysports.com/football/hudd ... ats/484801

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Thu May 02, 2024 1:20 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Thu May 02, 2024 12:45 pm
Our match stats when we played them in Oct at their place (OCT 2023 ) offer some comfort.... I know, I'm clutching at straws :lol:

https://www.skysports.com/football/hudd ... ats/484801
You mean we had to wait until the 87th minute to salvage a draw?! :lol: The population of Ipswich will probably half if we're 1 down in the 87th minute on Saturday! And it was during a spell where we won 11 games from 13...

number 9

Post by number 9 » Thu May 02, 2024 2:45 pm

Those of you going make sure to take your squeaky-bum cushions...that's if you even sit down! I'm sure Mike will be pacing the stairs, leaving a trail of bitten fingernails! :lol:

rossi

Post by rossi » Thu May 02, 2024 2:53 pm

number 9 wrote:
Thu May 02, 2024 2:45 pm
Those of you going make sure to take your squeaky-bum cushions...that's if you even sit down! I'm sure Mike will be pacing the stairs, leaving a trail of bitten fingernails! :lol:
dunno about squeaky bums - I intend on wearing my lucky white pants for the game, and I am sure that at the end of the game they will still be pristine and white

number 9

Post by number 9 » Thu May 02, 2024 2:55 pm

rossi wrote:
Thu May 02, 2024 2:53 pm
number 9 wrote:
dunno about squeaky bums - I intend on wearing my lucky white pants for the game, and I am sure that at the end of the game they will still be pristine and white
Lol! Yeah that could be a problem! :lol:

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Thu May 02, 2024 3:59 pm

Voted to win, guess there's no other real scenario as to what's going to occur. You can't f*ck up against an already relegated club name with a home advantage and promotion to the highest league at stake. It's just not logical.

Took a moment to think back to Maidstone and that were a real surprise but that there were a one-off Cup contest and lessoned will have to have been learned from that mess. All the team needs do is go out, keep their heads and focus on the task at hand and the team will get victory. No fancy stuff, just go out there and do what's expected.

Pity is would liked tremendously to have been at this event but it's impossible so those that can attend, just be aware you travel there with the hopes and wishes of many others who would want to be in your place. See it as a privilege many others can't be live witness to and count your blessings.

ITFC 2 HTFC 0

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu May 02, 2024 4:36 pm

Two seasons back, home to shitty Lincoln
Town 36 shots on goal
Lincoln 1 shot on goal

Town 0-1 Lincoln

Just saying, it does happen

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Thu May 02, 2024 5:13 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Thu May 02, 2024 4:36 pm
Town 36 shots on goal
Lincoln 1 shot on goal

Town 0-1 Lincoln

Town 38 shots at goal
Maidstone 2 shots at goal

Town 1-2 Maidstone

It certainly does...

rossi

Post by rossi » Thu May 02, 2024 5:35 pm

Ricco wrote:
Thu May 02, 2024 5:13 pm
Bluemike wrote:
Thu May 02, 2024 4:36 pm
Town 36 shots on goal
Lincoln 1 shot on goal

Town 0-1 Lincoln

Town 38 shots at goal
Maidstone 2 shots at goal

Town 1-2 Maidstone

It certainly does...
Oh wonderful - maybe I'll wear my lucky brown and yellow pants instead 8)

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Thu May 02, 2024 6:28 pm

rossi wrote:
Thu May 02, 2024 5:35 pm
Oh wonderful - maybe I'll wear my lucky brown and yellow pants instead 8)
Or you could just wear your green and yellow ones with the little budgie on, have too much spicy food Friday night and just accept your fate? So long as this chain of conversation finishes so I can get these images out my head???

I know I'm being reserved and cautious about being overly confident, but if I were to place a bet, I'd be going 3-0 Town.

USATractorBoy

Post by USATractorBoy » Thu May 02, 2024 6:50 pm

I'll take a boring as* 0-0 draw tbf haha.

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Thu May 02, 2024 7:08 pm

USATractorBoy wrote:
Thu May 02, 2024 6:50 pm
I'll take a boring as* 0-0 draw tbf haha.
I don't think a 0-0 would be boring though. Especially ifLeeds are up at Southampton, then the second half would be 180bpm heart rate inducing anxiety!

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Thu May 02, 2024 7:43 pm

I do not want the scores to be level beyond say 75 minutes. You just know what is likely to happen in that scenario! If it is approaching half time & it's 0-0 things are going to get tense! We all want a big win, many are anticipating as much, however it seems there are elements who are just not prepared to accept that a loss, however disastrous, is always a freak possibility! Personally speaking I'd rather play the devil's advocate and be the villain of the piece by talking down our chances of an easy win!

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Thu May 02, 2024 7:46 pm

I’m hoping for 2-0 by HT to save any stress, unfortunately Sheff Wed apart, our record against teams struggling in the relegation zone hasn’t been good with most games very close. In truth 3-2 is probably far more likely than 3-0.☹️

Blue Wilf

Post by Blue Wilf » Thu May 02, 2024 7:57 pm

rossi wrote:
Thu May 02, 2024 2:53 pm
number 9 wrote:
Even at this stage of the season, thats too much information Rossi 😳😂