Premier league squad - Who will be released ?

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

JohnnyB

Premier league squad - Who will be released ?

Post by JohnnyB » Sun May 05, 2024 9:19 am

Well someone's got to start it...

For what it's worth I reckon it's the end of the line for:

Walton
Donacion
Ball
Aluko
Jackson

And Kieron will be looking to replace like for like in their positions but a big upgrade in quality. Think we might start the season with a new goalie, centre-back and centre-mid

I believe Kieron has said he wants to either sign or extend the loanees. Hutchinson would be the biggest doubt imo

Cabanas Blue

Re: Premier league squad

Post by Cabanas Blue » Sun May 05, 2024 9:58 am

I think you can add Harness to that list and decisions need to be made on players like Ahadme Ndaba Camara El Mizouni and others I guess.

JohnnyB

Post by JohnnyB » Sun May 05, 2024 10:21 am

Oh yeah and Baggott - I reckon if they're young they've got more chance of staying

I think you might be right about Harness - he's 28 and could defo do a job for a mid/lower championship club

Strange idea but it's generally accepted that Kieron gets the most out of and improves players. Does that mean if you sign one of his players, you get a worse player than the one in the shop window as it were?

And this is another way in which everything has changed because Ipswich used to sign players who turned out to be worse than expected or terminally injured while the ones we let go flourished elsewhere

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sun May 05, 2024 10:34 am

I think KM is gonna have some tough decisions to make. After the confeti settles, I think it's obvious we need to rebuild our defence.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun May 05, 2024 12:08 pm

Hopefully he gets a month off before even thinking about the Premier League.

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Sun May 05, 2024 12:26 pm

Yes, youngsters fairly likely to be kept and loaned out, as they may be useful if back in the championship in a year or two, negative I know...

Won't be surprised to see Aluko retire and take on a coaching role if he has the badges. It's odd that he's stayed on and been mentioned by McKenna as a strong leader in the squad, so he must be good at it!

shabba

Post by shabba » Sun May 05, 2024 7:24 pm

Beat me too it!

Hladkey - Keep
Walton - Sell
Slicker - Keep (backup)
New GK - Either bring in a new no.2 or if some amazing GK comes up as available then get them

Axel - Keep - has played at this level and is decent defensively
Clarke - Keep

Burges - Keep
New CB
Woolfie - Keep (backup)
Edmudson - Keep (backup)

Davis - keep
New backup LB

Morsy - Keep
New CM
Masimo - keep (backup)
Taylor - keep (backup)

Burns - keep
New RW

Hutchinsin - loan if available, too expensive to buy
Chaplin - keep (backup)

Sarminto (loan extend, think its an option already in the deal)
Broadhead - keep (backup)

New Striker - look to get as good as we can in
Hirst - keep (backup)
Al-Hamadi - loan out
Ahadme - loan out

Release/sell:

Aluko
Ball
Walton
Piggot
Ladapo
Jackson
Harness
Donacian

My gut feeling is we will sign 6 or so players and spend a fair bit, 60-70m wouldn't suprise me. Just to add some real quality but not totally rip up the squad we have.

rossi

Post by rossi » Sun May 05, 2024 7:44 pm

Well, it's going to be interesting for sure.

Most of our squad were with us in L1 - proven L1 players who - by and large - successfully made the step up to Championship.
But how many of them (not loanees) - with the best coaching in the world - are capable of making it in the Premier league?

Morsy, Tuanzebe, Hladky, Davis - definitely
Burgess, Luongo -probably
Woolfendon, Clarke, Broadhead, Hirst - maybe
The rest of them - probably not.
Assuming we can retain Moore, Sarmiento, and Hutchinson, I reckon we're looking at bringing in 8 or 9

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Sun May 05, 2024 8:57 pm

I think you're on to something there Shabba, that's not far from my thoughts. I would say...

Hladky has been a revelation this season, but I think we should be trying to recruit the best GK we can regardless, it will be such an important posistion next season

I think we need two centre midfielders. It feels harsh as they've both been immense, and Morsy is such an incredible man to have in the team, but neither are athletes and neither are spring chickens. Again such an important posistion to get a foothold in games next season. Morsy would need a proper engine next to him if he were to start games, and while I want to keep them both, I feel we've been very lucky with their fitness, their backup has not done it.

Another thing I would add is that strangely, and many may disagree with me, but I think Burns will be one of the best converts to PL football. He is our best forward defender, whatever that means, and his running will again be so important to put it to teams and not get locked in our own 18 yard box.

shabba

Post by shabba » Sun May 05, 2024 9:51 pm

Right I've had a quick look at out of contract players......

Rafael Varne as a decent experienced partner for Burges, then bring in Jorginho and Thiago Alcantara to rotate as the partner for Morsey in midfield.
I think they are all world cup winners, probably the miniumum requirement for players we should be targetting now.

Unsure if it's too late to hijack Mpabbe's free transfer to Real Madrid? I'm sure I read its always been is dream to live in Ipswich and wear the famous shirt. Modric is also out of contract and could be an impact sub.

Seriously though, is Che Adams out of contract, might be ok if Saints don't go up?

Joel Matip is out of contact, be a good CB signing. Aina at forst is pretty decent, Ben Johnson from West Ham?

Paid signings - Walter-Peters if Saints dont go up, Suspect there might be some truth in the Taylor Harwood-Bellis rumour, young CB from city on loan at Saints. Smodizs can a good season but unsure if that was just a freak season? He would suddenly seem 'cheap' at say 10-15m. I'd like Summerville but suspect he'd be expensive.

Will we try Europe? Is the recruitment department upto speed enough for that? I thought about players from the teams being relegated but nobody really stands out, the Luton striker is OK and the right back Doughouty OK.
I've love Ferguson from Brighton as I think KM could get his potential out of him, but they wouldn't sell- not for sensible money.

I like Chris Wood, might be a deal to be done there. Newcastle probably have players they need to sell.

USATractorBoy

Post by USATractorBoy » Mon May 06, 2024 12:01 am

shabba wrote:
Sun May 05, 2024 9:51 pm
Right I've had a quick look at out of contract players......

Rafael Varne as a decent experienced partner for Burges, then bring in Jorginho and Thiago Alcantara to rotate as the partner for Morsey in midfield.
I think they are all world cup winners, probably the miniumum requirement for players we should be targetting now.

Unsure if it's too late to hijack Mpabbe's free transfer to Real Madrid? I'm sure I read its always been is dream to live in Ipswich and wear the famous shirt. Modric is also out of contract and could be an impact sub.

Seriously though, is Che Adams out of contract, might be ok if Saints don't go up?

Joel Matip is out of contact, be a good CB signing. Aina at forst is pretty decent, Ben Johnson from West Ham?

Paid signings - Walter-Peters if Saints dont go up, Suspect there might be some truth in the Taylor Harwood-Bellis rumour, young CB from city on loan at Saints. Smodizs can a good season but unsure if that was just a freak season? He would suddenly seem 'cheap' at say 10-15m. I'd like Summerville but suspect he'd be expensive.

Will we try Europe? Is the recruitment department upto speed enough for that? I thought about players from the teams being relegated but nobody really stands out, the Luton striker is OK and the right back Doughouty OK.
I've love Ferguson from Brighton as I think KM could get his potential out of him, but they wouldn't sell- not for sensible money.

I like Chris Wood, might be a deal to be done there. Newcastle probably have players they need to sell.
Some good suggestions here for sure. I do think we need to think outside the box a bit and bring in some guys that perhaps not a lot of people would think about. Not 100 percent 'Do a Brentford' haha but sort of in that same vein, especially as teams in England will try to rip us off imo.

Omari is key to bring back, as well as looking at another GK would not go amiss. Someone like Pentz from Brondby for instance.
Rots and Hilgers from FC Twente would be fantastic signing also especially with how well KMC can get the best out of players.

Going along with the thread, Watson is deffo gone imo, prob to a League One team. Same for some of the others the OP listed.

USATractorBoy

Re: Premier league squad - Who will be released ?

Post by USATractorBoy » Mon May 06, 2024 12:03 am

I'm all for rewarding as it were and appreciating all the guys who got us to this point, but will also need to make some tough decisions and release some players regardless of how much the fans may love them or whatever else.

Just the nature of going into the Prem and doing the best to stay up and then moving on from there.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Mon May 06, 2024 12:47 am

It’s still early, but I can’t resist giving my opinion. I stick to my earlier assumptions in that we need to rebuild our defence. Not sure about contract situations etc., I’d like to see two new CBs and assuming Davis remains with us, one more WB. If we get said additions, I think Woolfy should be loaned to a Championship club to grow. Burgess is fine, and Edmundson is a good backup. Clarke is a decent backup. Tuanzebe is experienced, but I’m not sure about his long term health.

We definitely need another strong midfielder. I think we’ve been linked to Lundstrom (sp) and he’s the type of player we should be looking at.

Also, we definitely need another strong striker. Agree Al Hamadi should be loaned to a Championship team.

If we get Hutch and Sarmiento back, that will solidify the forward line.

I’m not too concerned about goalies, but if we can get a good deal fine. Let’s not blow the budget on a goalie, like we did before.

So in summary: Two experienced and strong CBs, One quality WB, One experienced and strong defensive midfielder and a proven striker. Not sure Moore fits that mold, but if he’s cheap it’s worth a punt.

JohnnyB

Post by JohnnyB » Mon May 06, 2024 11:20 am

rossi wrote:
Sun May 05, 2024 7:44 pm
Well, it's going to be interesting for sure.

Most of our squad were with us in L1 - proven L1 players who - by and large - successfully made the step up to Championship.
But how many of them (not loanees) - with the best coaching in the world - are capable of making it in the Premier league?

Morsy, Tuanzebe, Hladky, Davis - definitely
Burgess, Luongo -probably
Woolfendon, Clarke, Broadhead, Hirst - maybe
The rest of them - probably not.
Assuming we can retain Moore, Sarmiento, and Hutchinson, I reckon we're looking at bringing in 8 or 9
I might be wrong but I don't think he'll dismantle the current team or squad. I think 4 or 5 very shrewd signings probably up the spine of the team - goalie, centre-back, centre mid and striker. Maybe a left back to back Davis. I don't think all the signings will start at once either

RRanger

Post by RRanger » Mon May 06, 2024 1:50 pm

One thing I think we can be sure of is that Ashton and McKenna won't be bringing in players on much higher salaries than the players who got us to the Prem. I'm sure all our present salaries will be raised for the players we retain but I'm sure there won't be any£100,000 a week players brought in.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon May 06, 2024 7:38 pm

Players we'll keep - starters ?

Morsy
Davis
Burns
Chaplin
Broadhead
Hirst
Hladky

Players we'll keep - squad players

Burgess
Woolfenden
Clarke
Tuanzebe
Taylor
Al-Hamadi
Luongo
Slicker

Players we'll Release/Move on/return to clubs

Ahadme
El Mizouni
Ladapo
Camara
Ball
Donacien
Aluko
Jackson
Harness
Walton
Travis
Edmundson
Humphreys
Baggott

Players returning on loan

Hutchinson
Sarmiento

Potential Signings

Moore
Williams (God forbid)

I can see 8-10 new signings coming in...

X1 GK
X2 CB
X1 LB
X2 CM
X1 WINGER
X2 Strikers

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Mon May 06, 2024 7:51 pm

That's a lot of signings Mike, and you missed a right back??

I think Burgess starts first game of the season, I think good chance Tuanzebe does too.

I'd say we're looking at 5 quality signings and maybe another 3 or 4 squad or speculative ones too. They may even be able to tempt some decent youngsters in to the club on top of that, hopefully.

I guess it's although worth thinking that he may set up with very different tactics. Personally I'd be very tempted to start with 3 centre back, I'd certainly not have it how it is at the moment, we're basically playing a 424, and I think we'd get destroyed like that, unless they made some unbelievable signings.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Mon May 06, 2024 8:25 pm

The more I think about it, I don’t think the tactics will change. I too suggested maybe we should play more defensively in the Prem, but that’s not KM’s way, obviously. However, we do need to address conceding so many goals. So for me…once again I say, rebuild the defence first. Exciting times, lots of speculation. Remember though, if even with the pending injection of cash we’ll still have to remain within acceptable financial limits.

shabba

Post by shabba » Mon May 06, 2024 8:29 pm

Great post Mike, looks nice and neat the way its presneted too - agree with those you've put in each of the catergories etc.

KM will tweak tactically, but agree it won't be a massive change, maybe a bit more counter attacking, he already said he tweaked for the champ after league 1. Formation will be the same.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Mon May 06, 2024 8:37 pm

Is Travis our player I thought he came to us on loan ?

We have a buy option on Brandon Williams but I can’t see it being exercised unless McKenna thinks he can straighten the lad out. I guess we’d get him cheap based on all trouble he seems to get himself in. I see he was banned from driving last week having clocked up 30 points !.. Even I never had that many 🤣.

We could keep Edmundson ? I thought he played really well alongside Burgess against Coventry.

The rest are all well categorised and well thought through

number 9

Post by number 9 » Mon May 06, 2024 8:48 pm

Like I’ve said before, Edmundson is a solid CB and has experience. His weakness is ball distribution and the odd c*ck up. Which in my opinion makes him a good backup, primarily coming on late in games or as a substitute for an injury.

I don’t think Brandon Williams will ever wear the Ipswich shirt again. The American ownership won’t tolerate that sort of behavior.

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Mon May 06, 2024 9:15 pm

number 9 wrote:
Mon May 06, 2024 8:48 pm
I don’t think Brandon Williams will ever wear the Ipswich shirt again. The American ownership won’t tolerate that sort of behavior.
Nor should they, he's missed the boat with Town. What a season and experience to have blown, how many of that squad will end up with this season being a career high?! He'll be lucky not to have this year as a metaphor for his whole career.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Mon May 06, 2024 9:29 pm

Ricco wrote:
Mon May 06, 2024 9:15 pm
number 9 wrote:
Mon May 06, 2024 8:48 pm
Nor should they, he's missed the boat with Town. What a season and experience to have blown, how many of that squad will end up with this season being a career high?! He'll be lucky not to have this year as a metaphor for his whole career.
Yeah you’re right, Ricco. It’s been a long time ago, but I acknowledge some similarities in my youthful years. I was being recommended to advance my career possibly to a professional career, but the rebel that I was I chose booze & drugs over football. Please don’t chide me cuz it’s something I’ve dealt with my whole life. I’m not perfect now, but I’m not reckless and self deprecating like I was. If you wanna succeed in any profession, you have to give it 110% as a minimum. So my advice to the new & young Ipswich fans, cease the day and work hard. You’ll achieve success.

shabba

Post by shabba » Mon May 06, 2024 9:32 pm

Fair play for that honesty number 9, respect.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Mon May 06, 2024 9:34 pm

Sone Aluko has not unexpectedly announced his retirement.

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Mon May 06, 2024 10:27 pm

number 9 wrote:
Mon May 06, 2024 9:29 pm
I’m not perfect now, but I’m not reckless and self deprecating like I was. If you wanna succeed in any profession, you have to give it 110% as a minimum. So my advice to the new & young Ipswich fans, cease the day and work hard. You’ll achieve success.
Yeah spot on 9. You've clearly taken responsibility for your past and therfore your future, you've learnt powerful lessons. I hope Williams does the same, but he didn't show for court, I have no idea what the expectation is of such a thing these days, but that doesn't sound like standing up and owning his errors to me.

I also have not treated myself well for large periods of time in my life, few learn big life lessons the easy way, but I have never put others in harms way, that is why my sympathy for Williams has waned, you don't let your issues get behind the wheel of a vehicle.

It just boggles the mind the amount of wisdom and warnings and top psychological care that he has at his fingertips, and he's wallowing around like a pubescent 15 year without guidance.

Sorry to sidetrack thread :lol:

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue May 07, 2024 12:02 am

Charnwood wrote:
Mon May 06, 2024 8:37 pm
Is Travis our player I thought he came to us on loan ?

We have a buy option on Brandon Williams but I can’t see it being exercised unless McKenna thinks he can straighten the lad out. I guess we’d get him cheap based on all trouble he seems to get himself in. I see he was banned from driving last week having clocked up 30 points !.. Even I never had that many 🤣.

We could keep Edmundson ? I thought he played really well alongside Burgess against Coventry.

The rest are all well categorised and well thought through
I actually like Edmundson and prefer him to Woolfenden, I just think KM loves Woolfenden

number 9

Post by number 9 » Thu May 09, 2024 9:10 pm

marko69 wrote:
Sun May 05, 2024 12:08 pm
I seriously doubt KM will get a month off, Marko. He’ll be lucky to get a week off. You think Ashton is taking a month off too? I can envision KM laying on a beach with his family…sipping on a cocktail and chewing on some fresh, salt water shrimp or prawns as you lot like to call them. And I can assure you the vibrations under the beach blanket won’t be for Kieran’s wife…it’ll be Mark Ashton calling.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Fri May 10, 2024 8:58 am

number 9 wrote:
Thu May 09, 2024 9:10 pm
marko69 wrote:
Sun May 05, 2024 12:08 pm
I seriously doubt KM will get a month off, Marko. He’ll be lucky to get a week off. You think Ashton is taking a month off too? I can envision KM laying on a beach with his family…sipping on a cocktail and chewing on some fresh, salt water shrimp or prawns as you lot like to call them. And I can assure you the vibrations under the beach blanket won’t be for Kieran’s wife…it’ll be Mark Ashton calling.
Couple days off then? For some good vibrations with his wife?

Seriously though, they need a break. I mean its not like installing heating where its really really exciting and you can’t get enough of it, …. Its Football and its off the scale pressure.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri May 10, 2024 5:44 pm

Ashton said himself in that interview with Stuart Watson that he won't get a break and work starts after last Mondays Bank Holiday