McKenna - on his future at Ipswich Town.

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Blue Wilf

Re: McKenna - on his future at Ipswich Town.

Post by Blue Wilf » Tue May 07, 2024 12:40 pm

Cabanas Blue wrote:
Tue May 07, 2024 9:34 am
Great post Wilf, I'm pleased you enjoyed your evening do you intend to take guitar lessons after your purchase ? 🤔😂😂😂
😂 sadly the signed Ed Sheeran guitar was not my purchase! It was scary how it started slowly at £1500 and in a flash went for about £18000 I think in the end! All good for the Foundation I guess 👍

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Tue May 07, 2024 2:12 pm

Blue Wilf wrote:
Tue May 07, 2024 12:40 pm
😂 sadly the signed Ed Sheeran guitar was not my purchase! It was scary how it started slowly at £1500 and in a flash went for about £18000 I think in the end! All good for the Foundation I guess 👍
Excellent for the foundation, but mad to think that 18k would only buy you two days of Brandon Williams' time :lol:

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Tue May 07, 2024 4:16 pm

Blue Wilf wrote:
Tue May 07, 2024 12:40 pm
Cabanas Blue wrote:
Tue May 07, 2024 9:34 am
Great post Wilf, I'm pleased you enjoyed your evening do you intend to take guitar lessons after your purchase ? 🤔😂😂😂
….and my wife thought I was crazy nearly 20 years ago when I paid £1000 for an Arsenal shirt signed by Arsène Wenger and the unbeaten Arsenal Invincibles. 🤪

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue May 07, 2024 5:45 pm

Great Post Wilf, absolutely loved reading that and it's all so positive and heartwarming, long may this fairytale continue.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Thu May 09, 2024 5:09 pm

First objective must be to avoid relegation next season. If we can achieve that and build on it the future looks very good.

Blue Wilf

Post by Blue Wilf » Thu May 09, 2024 6:15 pm

One thing I forgot that Ashton said in his speech was that there will be some disruption to some fans at PR at the start of the season (details will be announced imminently) as there are tons of things to do pre Prem (ie VAR etc I suspect). Not sure what but he said he was so pleased we had sone the pitch last year as if we had not we would have had real logistical issues apparently...

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Sun May 12, 2024 4:24 pm

From a personal viewpoint seem unable to fully indulge in the wonder and euphoria of the promotion and everything it entails as been unwell last few weeks. Health and well-being has to be the primary focus. It's a shame as would prefer to really indulge in the spectacle of what this team has now achieved but self-recovery has overshadowed most of general fans celebrations. Wish could find more enthusiasm in what we've accomplished.

Took a moment to wonder a day or two back where McKenna now resides on the absolute list of our greatest managerial names. First and foremost he can never get beyond Ramsey and Robson, it's difficult to push past Burley as the two promotions aside in lower league he hasn't yet accomplished something of the level of George. If at any time McKenna can replicate a 5th place finish in the EPL then by all means he can be allowed a plateau alongside Burley but for now feels destined to remain a lower figure.

More successful or better than Lyall, Royle for instance. Right now you got to imagine he deserves that opportunity. All right he / we didn't win the second league like the former but came within one point of it, has done very little wrong so far in two, two and a half years here, while Joe could not get beyond the play-off chances presented although forever will be held in high regard for his time with us.

It would have been interesting had the team finished third and forced back into the play-off games this season just how McKenna and the team would have fared if only to provide an indication to previous managerial names here and their own end of season involvement but guess it's better just to have made it and not (to have) put ourselves in such a position or leave it open to chance.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun May 12, 2024 4:39 pm

Hope you're feeling better AP and nothing too serious

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sun May 12, 2024 5:39 pm

Wishing you well AP and hope you’re suffering from nothing too serious. After 70+ years of good health I found out recently what feeling really unwell feels like annd it isn’t pleasant and doesn’t come recommended. Fortunately I’m now through that and wish you the same.

It’s an interesting question you pose about Kieran McKenna’s ranking amongst previous Town managers and I’m going really bullish and would already rank him our 3rd best behind Sir Alf and Sir Bobby the later whom McKenna reminds me of in so many ways. The reason I put McKenna above George Burley is simply because of his coaching skills and ability to get so much improvement out of almost every single player in his squad. George Burley had limited longevity in football management simply because he didn’t move on with game and didn’t have the personal discipline that I have no doubt McKenna has.

It will be interesting what others think. For me McKenna is the best Manager appointment the club have made since Bobby Robson in 1969 and for this we owe Mark Ashton so much credit.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun May 12, 2024 6:54 pm

I agree Andy, for me McKenna is already our 3rd best manager behind only Sir Alf and Sir Bobby, I also have to say that I believe McKenna is already light years ahead of George Burley and what he achieved, a Fifth place finish in the Premier League was commendable but in today's game it would be 20 times harder to match.

Dubai Blue

Post by Dubai Blue » Wed May 15, 2024 6:32 am

https://www.theguardian.com/football/ar ... ag-departs

Interesting to read this one, although it does give the impression that Man U just have to decide and it's a done deal.

Personally I would have thought that Man U need to follow in the footsteps of most of the top clubs and go for an experienced manager at this level. Even though we all love KM (me too) he is still a gamble at this level. What Man U need is a steady hand to guide them back towards the top 4. They must be missing out on a lot of revenue right now and if they gamble on a young coach and get it wrong they might be forced to budget like a mid-table team in future. I would have no issues with this :-) but I doubt this aligns with their own self image.

valleyroad

Post by valleyroad » Wed May 15, 2024 7:53 am

Dubai Blue wrote:
Wed May 15, 2024 6:32 am
https://www.theguardian.com/football/ar ... ag-departs

Interesting to read this one, although it does give the impression that Man U just have to decide and it's a done deal.

Personally I would have thought that Man U need to follow in the footsteps of most of the top clubs and go for an experienced manager at this level. Even though we all love KM (me too) he is still a gamble at this level. What Man U need is a steady hand to guide them back towards the top 4. They must be missing out on a lot of revenue right now and if they gamble on a young coach and get it wrong they might be forced to budget like a mid-table team in future. I would have no issues with this :-) but I doubt this aligns with their own self image.
Have to say I had this conversation with a few mates the other day, one of them Dougie Freedman's cousin !
Started off around Freedman being linked with Man U then moved onto why not Kieron McKenna ?
He is well know within the club. He has every bit of what is required for the job. They have put numerous so called successful coaches in and it hasn't worked.
McKenna took Ipswich from the ground up and rebuilt them so I suspect that's why Man U are considering him. His recruitment is also second to none, as is his man management and squad use.

The other English manager who could turn Man U round IMO is Eddie Howe.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed May 15, 2024 8:55 am

I have to say if KM did depart for anyone before even giving us a season in the Premier League I would be very disappointed in him, for me it would undo all the good he has done here in one foul swoop.

Personally I believe Manchester United would be absolutely insane to take such a gamble on an unproven young Manager who has never managed at the top level given their position in the game right now, and this is why I take the article to be no more than lazy journalism, I one hundred percent expect them to recruit a big name Manager which is what they clearly need.

Blue Wilf

Post by Blue Wilf » Wed May 15, 2024 9:07 am

I think we will get this kind of speculation forever now but I can't honestly see McKenna jumping ship to United right now as it is a basket case and what if he ends up like Potter after he went to Chelsea? He does not need to take that risk right now and without at least one season in the Prem with us, he simply has not seem the project through - something he above all have given me the impression he is totally committed to. It would also cast into question any future conversations he has in football (or life generally) about not seeing something through - who would ever really trust him in that regard again as there would always be the 'yeah - thats what he told Ipswich' line coming back to haunt him. I think its not the right time for him.

However...... having said all of that, the one niggle in the back of my mind is - 'Well the chance may never come around again' and THAT is the worry. Still... I am sure (hope!) Ashton and Co have a plan for that eventuality, if/when it arises. No-one is indispensable or bigger than the Club at the end of the day. I just hope (and believe actually) that at least for one more season, in this world of lying, cheating and money talking that Kieran is a bit different and that is what makes him the man he is.

rossi

Post by rossi » Wed May 15, 2024 9:08 am

After his record here, it's inevitable that KM will receive plenty of interest from other Premier League clubs - I have to be honest that I expected that Man U might make an approach given his history with the club.

But he has said more than once that he is working on a project here - I think that the fact that we are further down the line in this plan than was expected makes it more certain that he would honour what he has said and give us at least one season in the PL to see how far the club can go.

I do not know him at all - but he comes across to me as an honourable person so I would not expect him to renege on what he has said.

valleyroad

Post by valleyroad » Wed May 15, 2024 9:47 am

If Kieron McKenna is offered the Man U job he will take it. There is no chance he will knock that back to stay at Ipswich Town.
No matter what assurances he has given nobody would dig him up if he was to go to Manchester United.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Wed May 15, 2024 9:52 am

He'd be totally mad to take it . That club is a cesspit atm and the very players who named him The Teacher, would be the same disrespectful players he'd acquire.

I actually dont think hes going anywhere, just yet.

Its going to be a looooong summer of this constant speculation. All of which is totally unfounded. But it will continue to happen unfortunately .

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Wed May 15, 2024 10:04 am

If Manchester United offered him the job then I would be amazed if he turned it down. His stock is really high at this moment in time but if he stays at PR and we do get relegated next season then no doubt that would fall. This time last year Kompany was being touted as the next best thing amongst some circles but now no doubt he has fallen off some clubs radars.
The other thing we don’t know is what the actual project KM had in mind. Was it to get ITFC back in the Premiership? If so this has been accomplished a lot sooner than us fans and more importantly the owners expected. He may therefore feel that he has delivered on his part and if an opportunity to manage one of the biggest clubs in the world came along then it would be very difficult to turn it down.
If he does end up going then I for one will wish him all the best and won’t forget how he was a key part in turning this club around.

valleyroad

Post by valleyroad » Wed May 15, 2024 10:07 am

Shed on tour wrote:
Wed May 15, 2024 10:04 am
If Manchester United offered him the job then I would be amazed if he turned it down. His stock is really high at this moment in time but if he stays at PR and we do get relegated next season then no doubt that would fall. This time last year Kompany was being touted as the next best thing amongst some circles but now no doubt he has fallen off some clubs radars.
The other thing we don’t know is what the actual project KM had in mind. Was it to get ITFC back in the Premiership? If so this has been accomplished a lot sooner than us fans and more importantly the owners expected. He may therefore feel that he has delivered on his part and if an opportunity to manage one of the biggest clubs in the world came along then it would be very difficult to turn it down.
If he does end up going then I for one will wish him all the best and won’t forget how he was a key part in turning this club around.
100% where i am on this.
Not sure he would be first choice but Man U will make a change this summer

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Wed May 15, 2024 10:14 am

Shed on tour wrote:
Surely Man Utd would have to have permission to speak to McKenna ? Its not always that simple. I still say he'd be absolutely insane to take THAT job. I'm not saying he wont leave us , because clearly he will. But I also feel McKenna has high integrity , and cant see him walking away from Town or this group of players just yet. He wanted to be manage in the PL , well he will be, with us.
Utd are a club in turmoil , and have been for some while. Would he really want to walk away from Ipswich atm for that. Utd may be a "famous big club", but in truth they've been anything but that for a few years now.

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Wed May 15, 2024 10:30 am

hallamblue wrote:
Wed May 15, 2024 10:14 am
Shed on tour wrote:
Surely Man Utd would have to have permission to speak to McKenna ? Its not always that simple. I still say he'd be absolutely insane to take THAT job. I'm not saying he wont leave us , because clearly he will. But I also feel McKenna has high integrity , and cant see him walking away from Town or this group of players just yet. He wanted to be manage in the PL , well he will be, with us.
Utd are a club in turmoil , and have been for some while. Would he really want to walk away from Ipswich atm for that. Utd may be a "famous big club", but in truth they've been anything but that for a few years now.
I would think that is why they would approach his agent first to see if he would be interested in taking the job. If so and they wanted him then I would expect them to make an official approach to ITFC. Obviously none of us know what is included in KM contract but if it is a case of us putting in a compensation clause of 4 million pounds which has been mentioned by various sources then I have no doubt United would pay that.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed May 15, 2024 1:16 pm

Manchester United will NOT offer kieran McKenna the job, not a cat in hells chance, even they aren't that stupid.

Also Mark Ashtons comment the other day when asked if KM was to be at Portman Road next season "well if he isn't he hasn't told me"

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Wed May 15, 2024 2:19 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Wed May 15, 2024 1:16 pm
Manchester United will NOT offer kieran McKenna the job, not a cat in hells chance, even they aren't that stupid.

Also Mark Ashtons comment the other day when asked if KM was to be at Portman Road next season "well if he isn't he hasn't told me"

…. and you’d have probably written exactly the same comment about ITFC a few weeks before we appointed him.
I have no doubts about his ability to do a better job at Man Utd than Ten Haag although personally I think they’ll go for a top shelf name with champions League experience.
The worry is Jim Ratcliffe hasn’t become Britain’s richest person without taking risks and he is currently pulling the strings at Manchester United. Whilst McKenna is very unlikely to get the job, if they decide to interview him he would be very impressive and possibly more so than any other. I don’t think it would be a stupid appointment either and if it was it’s not stopped them in the past, just think of David Moyes following Sir Alex Ferguson.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Wed May 15, 2024 2:31 pm

It's not about being stupid, it's all to do with credibility and McKenna does appear a tangible candidate to take a lead coaching role with them.

You got a club name there without a league title in what must be over 10 years, totally uncharacteristic for a team set-up of their size and up until then at least, accomplishments and winning leagues. Since Ferguson stepped aside they've tried and failed with a whole list of successors, some of them were destined to fail from day one but they couldn't quite see it at the time but were prepared to allow it the opportunity. They gave Solksjaer or however you spell it the job for a time but because he was a fan favorite with them and something of club folklore, not necessarily being a top level manager or someone who could ideally get them back on track and hope of returning to previous stature.

McKenna was with them before, they obviously know each other and have had workings before and by this time and two successive promotions with us, has probably received prominence on just about most clubs radar outside of Portman Road throughout the British leagues. How many opportunities does one get to manage Manchester United during a lifetime, it's a position of real privilege that can only ever be open to a very select few and McKenna if ever had that opportunity, not to say he'd jump at the chance and in what some here would view a certain betrayal, would sure give it proper time and consideration.

Another concern being he's surely lined up at some future point to be a leading figure in becoming England coach when Southgate walks away. There's no way the directors at the FA haven't thought through the possibility and doubtless not escaped the attention of considerable others.

valleyroad

Post by valleyroad » Wed May 15, 2024 3:00 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Wed May 15, 2024 2:19 pm
Bluemike wrote:

…. and you’d have probably written exactly the same comment about ITFC a few weeks before we appointed him.
I have no doubts about his ability to do a better job at Man Utd than Ten Haag although personally I think they’ll go for a top shelf name with champions League experience.
The worry is Jim Ratcliffe hasn’t become Britain’s richest person without taking risks and he is currently pulling the strings at Manchester United. Whilst McKenna is very unlikely to get the job, if they decide to interview him he would be very impressive and possibly more so than any other. I don’t think it would be a stupid appointment either and if it was it’s not stopped them in the past, just think of David Moyes following Sir Alex Ferguson.
Have they not already done that ??
Also that person has to be available and want to come to United. Remember no European football next season.
If they can't get the "big name" then McKenna will be in the frame.

USATractorBoy

Post by USATractorBoy » Wed May 15, 2024 4:41 pm

Overall I am no too concerned about it. At least, not yet. McKenna clearly loves Town and I believe is sincere when he says he wants himself and the players to prove themselves in the Prem.

Sir Jim Ratcliffe will want to make a splash in his true first offseason if you will as big investor and bringing in a big name as manager will be key to that. Taking nothing away from McKenna, but I don't think he is at the top of their list as far as candidates go.

However, if people turn them down and/or nothing can be worked out and they will need to look at secondary options, then yes he will very much be in the play and would take the job if offered I have no doubt.

Stressful to even think about haha, but in the grand scheme of things I don't see it happening. Will he leave us at some point for a 'bigger' job? Probably, but I don't think so yet.

Blue Wilf

Post by Blue Wilf » Wed May 15, 2024 4:52 pm

The Guardian article could have been written by anybody as it is one persons view of the world (as they - a journalist) sees it but there is nothing in there from Ratcliffe, McKenna, Ashton, his agent, Uncle Tom Cobley or anyone else with even a whiff of actual 'knowledge'. Its all speculation and as we have said, it will continue as long as the post is vacant (when it does become so!). Are we all so unconvinced by KM even after all of the facts we have seen about his desire, ability and commitment to a cause? I have more faith in him than that. I prefer to believe what I have seen of him rather than what some tabloid rag journo - desperate for column inches writes. I have said it before - in Kieran I trust - for one more season at least! One other thing - if Man U hire him and it blows up (which lets face it without getting rid of all of their primadonnas, it will), they will be crucified. Can you really see MU 'fans' buying into a 2 or 3 year rebuild that will get worse before it gets better? They will be out protesting and marching through the streets of chelsea, islington, high wycombe, surrey and oxfordshire before you know it!

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed May 15, 2024 5:53 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Wed May 15, 2024 2:19 pm
Bluemike wrote:

I would probably have said wtf to appointing McKenna here because of him basically being unknown to any of us, I think we pretty much all thought the same thing at the time.

I still maintain Manchester United would be barmy to take such a risk in their current situation, they must get the next appointment right, McKenna has zero Premier League experience and no way will they take that gamble, at the end of the day he's been incredible for us but has still won nothing, second in League One and second in the Championship. He will prove himself to be a great manager in the Premier League but it will start with us, not Manchester United, Brighton, Brentford, Crystal Palace, West Ham or anyone else.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed May 15, 2024 5:54 pm

Blue Wilf wrote:
Wed May 15, 2024 4:52 pm
The Guardian article could have been written by anybody as it is one persons view of the world (as they - a journalist) sees it but there is nothing in there from Ratcliffe, McKenna, Ashton, his agent, Uncle Tom Cobley or anyone else with even a whiff of actual 'knowledge'. Its all speculation and as we have said, it will continue as long as the post is vacant (when it does become so!). Are we all so unconvinced by KM even after all of the facts we have seen about his desire, ability and commitment to a cause? I have more faith in him than that. I prefer to believe what I have seen of him rather than what some tabloid rag journo - desperate for column inches writes. I have said it before - in Kieran I trust - for one more season at least! One other thing - if Man U hire him and it blows up (which lets face it without getting rid of all of their primadonnas, it will), they will be crucified. Can you really see MU 'fans' buying into a 2 or 3 year rebuild that will get worse before it gets better? They will be out protesting and marching through the streets of chelsea, islington, high wycombe, surrey and oxfordshire before you know it!
Nailed it again Wilf.

Blue Wilf

Post by Blue Wilf » Wed May 15, 2024 6:07 pm

Well if I am wrong then McKenna is not the man I think he is. We have all praised his values and then because a hack writes something, we all think he will forget them and taken the money and prestige. If that is the case then so be it but I don't think he will - not at 37. Thats a lot of years for the MU job to come up again and we all know it will be up again in 2 years max! Its a bit like when Sunak gets pushed out - who wants that poisoned chalice? KM would make a better job of that than all of the other pretenders too (yes Marko - including Chrissie Hynd 😂)