Rate Joe

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

chris

Rate Joe

Post by chris » Sun Jul 04, 2004 5:33 pm

Let's get this down in writing so we can look back on it during the year and see who changes their minds..........

Rate Joe as simply good or bad and write it so we have a name to put to the opinions....

Good!

Jus

Post by Jus » Sun Jul 04, 2004 5:34 pm

I am bang in the middle, neither good or bad.

Rach

Post by Rach » Sun Jul 04, 2004 5:35 pm

Good! :D

Fully

Post by Fully » Sun Jul 04, 2004 5:36 pm

As far as i can see Joe has done nothing to warrant such abuse from our fellow fans. IMHO opinion Royle was here to do a job- to preserve Ipswich Town Football Club and to make us challenge while we got out of financial difficulties. IMO he has succeeded and he has made 1/2 dodgy signings but at least we finished in the play-offs last season.

Jus

Post by Jus » Sun Jul 04, 2004 5:37 pm

No Fully, that wasn't his objective it was to get us promotion, not challenge for promotion.

When Sheepshanks appointed him he was told to get us promoted in three seasons to be a sucess.

Fully

Post by Fully » Sun Jul 04, 2004 5:41 pm

yeh and your rating him on 1 and a half seasons......he's still got 1 and a half seasons left to prove his the man for the job

baxterbasics

Post by baxterbasics » Sun Jul 04, 2004 5:45 pm

Good. So much has happened to the club that we the fans don't like but I really can't blame Joe for that. Even with the dodgy signings - beggars can't be choosers.

Luke

Post by Luke » Sun Jul 04, 2004 5:49 pm

Burnley beggers and they got cotterill case closed

bluetj

Post by bluetj » Sun Jul 04, 2004 6:06 pm

Good imo. He may have been given the job and expected to get promotion but that was before administration, sale of players and all of the fallout. He also managed to get an underperforming team with low morale to turn around their season and move away from the foot of the table.

People suggest other managers but what have they ever done? Joe has experience of struggling sides with money problems - like Oldham - and he has won promotion before. He also deals with all of the stress of the clubs money problems and manages it with a bit of humour.

Managers like Coterrill - no disresepect but what have they ever done? May have had success in lower leagues with Cheltenham but walked out on Stoke after 4 whole months when 'big' club Sunderland came in for him. And was part of a management team that lead them to the worst ever points total. Prefer a bit more loyalty and proven track record.

crazee

Post by crazee » Sun Jul 04, 2004 6:21 pm

his tactics and some of his signings are questionable but not bad enuff to warrant him being a bad manager, but on the on the other hand im not sure he's done enuff to be a good one either. im sitting on the fence

Paul B

Post by Paul B » Sun Jul 04, 2004 6:29 pm

Good without a question of doubt.

Sorry but if you think he is bad you need your head testing! :wink:

Col-Blue

Post by Col-Blue » Sun Jul 04, 2004 7:07 pm

Can we add undecied to the list plz

Dazza

Post by Dazza » Sun Jul 04, 2004 9:24 pm

bluetj wrote:Good imo. He may have been given the job and expected to get promotion but that was before administration, sale of players and all of the fallout. He also managed to get an underperforming team with low morale to turn around their season and move away from the foot of the table.

People suggest other managers but what have they ever done? Joe has experience of struggling sides with money problems - like Oldham - and he has won promotion before. He also deals with all of the stress of the clubs money problems and manages it with a bit of humour.

Managers like Coterrill - no disresepect but what have they ever done? May have had success in lower leagues with Cheltenham but walked out on Stoke after 4 whole months when 'big' club Sunderland came in for him. And was part of a management team that lead them to the worst ever points total. Prefer a bit more loyalty and proven track record.
Ditto, I'm starting to like you mate, lol :lol:

taren

Post by taren » Sun Jul 04, 2004 9:35 pm

I voted bad for the sole reason that he has got rid of my favourite player (Reuseur), and never gave him a proper chance to prove himself.

I know it is wrong to judge someone merely on one incident, but I felt I had to vote this way to register a protest. :(

Vaughan8

Post by Vaughan8 » Sun Jul 04, 2004 9:46 pm

Definately good!

royleoasis

Post by royleoasis » Sun Jul 04, 2004 9:57 pm

taren wrote:I voted bad for the sole reason that he has got rid of my favourite player (Reuseur), and never gave him a proper chance to prove himself. :(
He had plenty of chances. Great 'super sub' but could never start due to putting on weight and losing pace after his injuries. With the wage he's on good luck but goodbye!!!

As for Joe i voted Good. Came in perhaps not knowing our huge money problems and dealt with them brilliantly. Not afraid to use the youth system which all us itfc fans are proud of.

At the end of last season we were all hoping that the youngsters would stay........... so far they have. :D I'd rather keep them than the players we've lost.

No longer can we say we are a Premiership side in the 1st Division(Sorry Championship) Thats a title we've got to earn, and Joe's one of the most equiped managers in the Division to do it.

taren

Post by taren » Sun Jul 04, 2004 10:06 pm

I agree whole heartedly with your statement bfj, it's just sour grapes on my part. I'll get over it!

Drunken Munky

Post by Drunken Munky » Sun Jul 04, 2004 11:06 pm

Good definatly

monstermunch

Post by monstermunch » Sun Jul 04, 2004 11:22 pm

Good, he took over a thouroughly demoralised team in October 2002 and turned them round to finish 7th (and beat naaarich, at their place!) before taking us to the play-offs last year. With our financial situtaion, thats GOOD.

Dubai Blue

Rating JR

Post by Dubai Blue » Mon Jul 05, 2004 8:59 am

Yup. Little to add to the comments above. I rate JR big time. When GB left he seemed to have managed to turn a great side with huge positive vibe into a group of guys with no idea what they were supposed to be doing and heading to div 2. I rated GB but how did he manage to do that ?

JR got them going again and in pretty much the most difficult situation imagineable. Now that we got rid of the inflated wages and egos from last year we might see some real spirit this year.

This time next year we will be either begging Sheepshanks to persuade him to stay another year or bemaoning the fact that we can't get quality managers to want to come to Ipswich any more.

Good with a capital G.

the-mole

Post by the-mole » Mon Jul 05, 2004 10:10 am

Good or Not - well although I have moaned at various times this year I think BFJ has done a good job.

I think we were carrying tooooo many players who believed they were world beaters after having one awesome season. I am not sad in the slightest to see Jamma go - he had some great games last year but on the reverse didn't even seem like he turned up for the others. McGreal and Makin were injured for vast parts of last year - so its not as if they contributed much really. Reuser in my opinion is lazy and only concerned with himself. Players who warrent being in the side will perform - Reuser never has consistently.

I think Joe was badly let down by alot of players the past 1.5 years - alot of those players have gone now and hopefully so has there arrogant, lazy inept performances. Yes we ar egoing to thin on the ground next year but Give us a couple of seasons and I think we will be strong again.

By the way does anyone think that our midfield problems might be helped by playing Darren bent on the right - or - for real madness young Bowditch there.

StanstedBlue

Post by StanstedBlue » Mon Jul 05, 2004 11:05 am

Good in my opinion, especially with what he's had to play with financially. However, i,d give up the TV pundit work-on-the-side if i was him, what with all his commentary c*ck-ups!!

crikes

Post by crikes » Mon Jul 05, 2004 12:16 pm

I believe he has done a fairly good job under difficult circumstances.

I think now we have got rid of some dead wood and a squad (albeit smaller) of players who want to be play for Ipswich we could be dark horses this year.

I am still waiting to see what other signings Joe can tempt here

phily bon bon

Post by phily bon bon » Mon Jul 05, 2004 10:30 pm

crikes wrote:I believe he has done a fairly good job under difficult circumstances.

I think now we have got rid of some dead wood and a squad (albeit smaller) of players who want to be play for Ipswich we could be dark horses this year.

I am still waiting to see what other signings Joe can tempt here
I agree I would say good but I would have liked JM to have lost the captains armband and maybe used him as an experinced head for only 60mins per match.

rossi

Post by rossi » Tue Jul 06, 2004 2:48 pm

I'd like to add a new category - Utter Crap.

It's well known I never wanted him here and I don't think he's a good manager. In actual fact, I think he couln't manage a quick crap.

Always been my view - always will be.

Bury_blue

Post by Bury_blue » Tue Jul 06, 2004 5:13 pm

Undecided for me. he's done good things but he's made some bad signings and some of his tactics have to be questioned. Im sitting on the fence on this one

chris

Post by chris » Wed Jul 07, 2004 3:40 pm

Bury_blue wrote:Undecided for me. he's done good things but he's made some bad signings and some of his tactics have to be questioned. Im sitting on the fence on this one
So of the 8 that voted 'bad' only 3 put their names to it! At least Taren, Luke and Rossi are honest.

toby

Post by toby » Wed Jul 07, 2004 9:58 pm

rossi wrote:I'd like to add a new category - Utter Crap.

It's well known I never wanted him here and I don't think he's a good manager. In actual fact, I think he couln't manage a quick crap.

Always been my view - always will be.
Good to see your openminded on this one Rossi!

:lol: