Saddest day of my life

A place to chat about anything thats not football related. Most of the threads in here are completely pointless which is why people keep coming back and back. As the forum title suggests, feel free to make any post you want on any subject you wish. It also has Adult jokes (so be warned) which is the other reason people keep coming back.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Ohiotractorboy

Saddest day of my life

Post by Ohiotractorboy » Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:56 am

Had to put down my family pet of 19 years today.

The worst thing I have ever done. Cant stop crying even though it was the needed thing to do since he was hurting so bad.

I dont think I can ever own a pet again.

Frosty
Forum Owner

Re: Saddest day of my life

Post by Frosty » Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:00 am

Mate, I just know how hard that is buddy, they are members of your family.

I live for my pets and am the immediate past President of the Auckland SPCA over here.

19 years is a fantastic age for any animal so you must be one hell of a pet owner.

My Rottweiler is currently going down hill, no doubt some tough decisions due soon. But at least with Pets (and unlike humans) you can make the choice to end the suffering on your own terms.

You do actually need to consider another pet before too long, maybe you can give another animal a chance from your local animal shelter, there would be no more fitting way to honour your lost pet and will help you to overcome the loss of your friend. Your home will probably feel empty until you do this.

Below is a poem (The Rainbow Bridge) you have probably read before, but it's a fitting piece for the loss of a pet.
Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.
There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.
There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.
The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....
Kind Regards Dave

lucy

Post by lucy » Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:44 pm

:( Not good. I felt the same when it came to letting my dog go. It was a family dog we had since i was 8 and he went when i was 19 so had a good 11 years.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:10 pm

Very sad Ohio. Hope you are getting over it better as time moves on. Pets are indeed family members.

vaalae

Post by vaalae » Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:57 am

So sorry to hear that Ohio, it is like losing a relative.

Dave is spot on in my opinion about adopting another; pets bring such joy to your lives, and you wouldn't trade the 19 years you had to take away the hurt and loss you feel now. We have had dogs throughout my life, and it hurts like hell when one passes away.

My folks recently got a new Black Lab puppy and she is fantastic fun. She doesn't replace Benny or Olly who died in the last 3 years; but she brings so so much to their lives.

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Tue May 14, 2024 1:25 pm

Frosty wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:00 am
Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.
There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.
There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.
The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....
Kind Regards Dave
I have just been looking for a little bit of solace and found Ohio's post and indeed this beautiful poem. It has got me in floods of tears again :cry:

I want to pay my tribute to our beautiful cat Blues.
We had him from about 8 years old having just moved into a new build house. Before then he had been my Sister's neighbour's cat. A dog had come along, then a child, pushing Blues more & more to the side. Indeed when they moved up north in winter time, he was left behind to sleep rough! As I said, we came to his rescue and gave him a loving home with no other pets or children around. Our home & garden have always been used to those four little paws wandering around his Catdom. He was loved unconditionally over the 11 years we've had him, but he has repaid our faith in him tenfold. Sadly we had to take him to the vets yesterday with breathing issues, which turned out to be a Pleural Effusion (fluid on the lungs) a best case scenario was Congestive heart failure. We were not ready to make any big decisions there and then, so the vet made him as comfortable as possible to enjoy one more night at home. It was obvious that, along with other ailments, letting him go was the kindest thing for him, even if you never want to lose a big part of your family and your home! To say I'm devastated is an understatement.

Incidentally, some of you will have picked up on his name and there is the interesting part. He was named Blues as a kitten, long before we ever knew him. The fact I support the Blues convinced me that he was meant to play a huge part in my life.

RIP my lovely friend.

USATractorBoy

Post by USATractorBoy » Wed May 15, 2024 4:45 pm

I have lost a lot of pets myself over the years and it never gets easier. My condolences for all on here who have been through the same, they truly are a part of the family.

Recently adopted a dog from my local shelter and named him McKenna! :D

Love him very much already.

Ohiotractorboy

Post by Ohiotractorboy » Thu May 16, 2024 9:03 pm

Sorry to hear about Blues, Mark