What are you listening to?

A place to chat about anything thats not football related. Most of the threads in here are completely pointless which is why people keep coming back and back. As the forum title suggests, feel free to make any post you want on any subject you wish. It also has Adult jokes (so be warned) which is the other reason people keep coming back.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Mauswara

Re: What are you listening to?

Post by Mauswara » Sun May 19, 2024 8:58 am

marko69 wrote:
Sat May 18, 2024 12:44 pm
That's the woman on the lottery counter at my local Tesco on drums.

"3 lucky dips for Euromillions and a 25 minute epic please, dawling."

(Cue legal proceedings for addressing her darling)
Gotta love Georgia mate, (Live on McEnroe) (4:3 Aspect)

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Thu May 23, 2024 6:30 pm

All manner of stuff thus far today including in no discernible order, Metallica, Black Sabbath, Chicory Tip, Bjork, New Order, Pulp and Utah Saints. You just get a feel for something or need to feature a certain artist. Think somehow choice comes through age perspective.

Ohiotractorboy

Post by Ohiotractorboy » Fri May 24, 2024 12:26 am

Going a little old school with 157 Riverside Avenue by REO

Gary Richrath, another overlooked guitar great. RIP

Mauswara

Post by Mauswara » Fri May 24, 2024 7:00 am

Mauswara

Post by Mauswara » Sun May 26, 2024 12:09 pm

Andym

Post by Andym » Sun May 26, 2024 4:03 pm

Mauswara wrote:
Sun May 26, 2024 12:09 pm
You Ain't Goin' Nowhere
Haven’t played that in years. Must dig it out. Think I have a cd of it, definitely have the double album.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun May 26, 2024 8:41 pm

You might like this AndyM…… 90s prog.
Playing it as a nod to Southampton win today……. Southamptons best ever proggers —->> IQ.
Seen them a few times, first time was in 1985 supporting Wishbone Ash.

Funny Side note on this particular track……. The key change in the middle, and the part at 4:40 when he starts with the line “Bible bashing fashion…..” ——>> YEARS ago my son was in the shower and i walked past the bathroom door and he was singing that part! :lol:
I remember thinking, “Holy sh*t! My kids actually listen and hear my music sometimes!” :lol:

https://youtu.be/zjIpULDPMt8?si=eM3lD0snFd14Ei9Q

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Tue May 28, 2024 2:30 pm

Culture Club, Karma Chameleon.

Supposed to be on the Mississippi someplace but think they filmed it in Norfolk of all places. Top of billboard listing for most of summer '83 and shows it's age. George O' Dowd was, and remains, a phenomenal character.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue May 28, 2024 9:54 pm

arana peligrosa wrote:
Tue May 28, 2024 2:30 pm
Culture Club, Karma Chameleon.

Supposed to be on the Mississippi someplace but think they filmed it in Norfolk of all places. Top of billboard listing for most of summer '83 and shows it's age. George O' Dowd was, and remains, a phenomenal character.
I remember making a casual throwaway comment years ago about him being "way ahead of his time"......., Jeez. Was shot down in flames.
"NO HE WASN'T. The 70's was littered with Boy Georges!"
"Ok, calm the fk down, mate!"

Mauswara

Post by Mauswara » Wed May 29, 2024 1:37 am

Had a look what singles from '83 I have floating around and I'll pick this one.

That is the sum total of my Madonna collection, just like that tune, the bass riff was sampled for Since I Left You

Andym

Post by Andym » Thu May 30, 2024 9:34 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNz6zDchly0

Just Anyone by Fuchsia. 1971 folky and slightly proggy. You can hear hints of early Floyd in places. Originally released on the short-lived Pegasus label, their only album sold very little. Picked up a CD copy recently.

Andym

Post by Andym » Wed Jun 05, 2024 6:36 pm

Last year I saw the Magpie Arc, a folk-rock band that includes Martin Simpson, one of my all time favourite guitarists. I bought their cd album and 3 cd EPs there.
People wonder why I buy music still and not just use Spotify or some equivalent streaming service. What follows is a long read from the aforementioned Magpie Arc, explaining the difference to them between listening on Spotify and paying for a download. They have recently put all their music on Bandcamp, available as a free or post-what-you-like download. Music has turned full circle; from live to recorded and back again. There is no money in recorded music any more - hence gigs are more expensive. Bands no longer tour to promote an album, they issue new music to promote a tour. Anyway, here’s the article:

“The Importance Of Downloads!

Welcome to all our new followers and mailing list subscribers who have joined us in the last few weeks through our free/pay what you want Anthology download album. Hope you’re enjoying our music and hopefully we’ll see you at a gig sometime too.

A lot of people have asked why we have made our collection available for free/pay what you want so here’s a rather lengthy response, or you can just scroll to the last couple of paragraphs below where it’s summarised in a few lines!

As everyone knows the folk world is a wonderful community of people committed to music and we are constantly amazed by the number of emails we get or comments on social media we see about how much they love to support artists by actually buying their music on CD’s and vinyl.

However one area that we find many people think is redundant now are downloads and we wanted to address that.

Artists often hear that fans who only have physical copies of their music and no means to get it onto their mobile devices feel that the only way to listen to it on the move is to stream it via Spotify/Apple etc. and also fans who no longer have CD players or record decks feel that they have no other listening choice at all.

Well the purpose of this post is to quickly let you know that this isn’t the case and that downloads still have a very important part to play for music lovers who want to support their favourite artists.

Firstly, a wee calculation of what a £10 download album means to artists financially compared to streaming…..

* 291 listens to a ten song album from start to finish on Spotify using their standard streaming royalty rate will earn an artist £10.

* If you listen to the whole album once a day starting on the 1st of January then it would take until the 17th of October for the artist to earn that £10.

* If you listen to the album once a week starting on the 1st of January 2024 then it would take until the 1st of June 2029 for the artist to earn that £10.

* If you buy a download then they get the £10 right now.

Secondly, and this is the one that not everyone knows about, but once you have music downloaded onto one of your devices you can integrate it into all your Spotify/Apple etc. playlists and can listen to it as you normally do on those platforms. Just search how to integrate downloads into Spotify/Apple etc. online and you'll find out.

And finally for those of you new to downloads the game-changing resource for all artists who use it is the wonderful site Bandcamp.

If you’re a music lover and you’re not aware of it then prepare to be dazzled as Bart Simpson says as it’s a treasure trove of downloadable music from thousands of established and new artists many of whom will offer content exclusive to the site.

Bandcamp has it’s own excellent free app player for phones/iPads where if you don’t want to integrate your music to streaming playlists or you just plain hate Spotify etc. then you can organise and listen to all your downloads wherever you go via that.

(Edit - It's also just been pointed out by one fan that Bandcamp offer playback quality far above Spotify and Apple so you're also getting a much better listening experience.)

So there you go, there’s the importance of downloads.

And the quick answer – Many of you have paid for our music already so we’ve offered the chance for you to get it on download to listen on the move without paying for it again. Or if you’re just discovering us but wary of spending any money then you can listen to it before you buy and then pay something or nothing if you want to.

You can hear and buy our Anthology download album by searching for us on Bandcamp and do check out Martin, Nancy and Findlay there too plus all the other amazing artists.

Will post a few links for you in the comments once this one is circulating!

Thanks for reading.

TMA xx”

Mauswara

Post by Mauswara » Sat Jun 08, 2024 10:10 am

Reasons To Be Cheerful, Pt. 3

Been out spending too much time and money with other old, grey record lovers at our bi-annual bash. Couldn't resist the slightly munted local copy of Juke Box Dury.

ITFC2024

Post by ITFC2024 » Mon Jun 10, 2024 12:50 am

Not sure this fits in, but here ya go:

https://youtu.be/SjzuhtRg0bo?si=BbMnjaJXG-heV_la

ITFC2024

Post by ITFC2024 » Mon Jun 10, 2024 12:58 am

Not big into current Rap. Lords of the Underground are the originals:

https://youtu.be/kM6PQZecLEA?si=owLB2Lywo-Zv-czI

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Jun 10, 2024 7:44 am

ITFC2024 wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2024 12:50 am
Not sure this fits in, but here ya go:

https://youtu.be/SjzuhtRg0bo?si=BbMnjaJXG-heV_la
Yep ———>>> that fits :lol: :lol: :lol:

Mauswara

Post by Mauswara » Tue Jun 11, 2024 3:06 am

Another one from my mad buying splurge last weekend, from Lead On Roy Budd.

Bossa lounge jazz piano from 1967, On A Clear Day

Not my thing at all normally but here I am happy bumbling around the place with this sh*t as a soundtrack to my day.

One more, Goffin/King cover, Going Back

ITFC2024

Post by ITFC2024 » Tue Jun 11, 2024 9:55 pm

Andym

Post by Andym » Fri Jun 14, 2024 10:35 am

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtvdyYxzK ... ZlIA%3D%3D

Bill Evans - Five.
How do you learn to play like that?

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Jun 14, 2024 12:19 pm

Bloody hell, sounds like a cat is walking across the keys.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Jun 15, 2024 10:54 am

Bluemike wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2024 12:19 pm
Bloody hell, sounds like a cat is walking across the keys.
It does yes. :lol:

Andym

Post by Andym » Sat Jun 15, 2024 1:50 pm

Modal jazz isn’t our thing then 😂😂.
I didn’t realise until I checked, I have 8 Bill Evans albums. Played with Miles Davis for a while, including Kind Of Blue - still the best-selling jazz album of all time.
I’m not a huge jazz fan, probably have only somewhere between 50 to 100 jazz albums. But jazz musicians always amaze me. I can play a bit of blues piano, but I have no idea how to play jazz of any form.
I suppose that tends to guide my choice of music as I get older - it either has to be well played or not mainstream. Or both.

Mauswara

Post by Mauswara » Sat Jun 15, 2024 2:23 pm

Have a '62 Waltz For Debbie here somewhere Andy, not something I'd ever listen to.

Did find a first Funkadelic last weekend though, been listening to that a bit.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Jun 15, 2024 2:43 pm

My mother in law is a jazz fan.

Years ago, went to a saturday afternoon jazz club in Edinburgh with wife, maw in law, bro in law……… never again.
I think my maw in law overheard me ask the wife, “Wtf is this sh*t?”

Andym

Post by Andym » Sat Jun 15, 2024 2:50 pm

Mauswara wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2024 2:23 pm
Have a '62 Waltz For Debbie here somewhere Andy, not something I'd ever listen to.

Did find a first Funkadelic last weekend though, been listening to that a bit.
Yes, I have Waltz For Debbie. Very rarely play them, just have to be in the mood. Currently listening to the self-turned Big Brother & The Holding Company, I think it was their first.
Now time for a bit of Gordon Giltrap.

Mauswara

Post by Mauswara » Sun Jun 16, 2024 11:30 am

marko69 wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2024 2:43 pm
My mother in law is a jazz fan.
Nailed it Bro'