What are you listening to?

A place to chat about anything thats not football related. Most of the threads in here are completely pointless which is why people keep coming back and back. As the forum title suggests, feel free to make any post you want on any subject you wish. It also has Adult jokes (so be warned) which is the other reason people keep coming back.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

number 9

Re: What are you listening to?

Post by number 9 » Sat Jul 01, 2023 1:39 am

Saw Maiden in Ipswich early 80s. I was pinned in the first row, and c*cks were pulling off my patches. I threw a few elbows, but I was relatively small as a teenager. Didn’t care though, cuz Eddie came out and touched me on my head. Brilliant concert, I think it was the Number of the Beast tour. Good times!

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Sat Jul 01, 2023 10:27 pm

Survivor's Eye of the Tiger a few moments back.

It's like Dexy's Come on Eileen released around the same time, a fine line between enjoyment and loathing. All well and good first few times you listen, hell it's spectacular and nothing else like it, but after a few thousand (further) experiences you find there's really nothing new to be found.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Mon Jul 03, 2023 12:27 am

Floyd

Mauswara

Post by Mauswara » Mon Jul 03, 2023 3:33 am

arana peligrosa wrote:
Sat Jul 01, 2023 10:27 pm
Survivor's Eye of the Tiger a few moments back.

It's like Dexy's Come on Eileen released around the same time, a fine line between enjoyment and loathing. All well and good first few times you listen, hell it's spectacular and nothing else like it, but after a few thousand (further) experiences you find there's really nothing new to be found.
Rubbishing "Come On Eileen"?

One of the finest tunes ever recorded.

Mauswara

Post by Mauswara » Mon Jul 03, 2023 3:35 am

number 9 wrote:
Mon Jul 03, 2023 12:27 am
Floyd
Not a Floyd fan but Marmalade, I like marmalade

Andym

Post by Andym » Mon Jul 03, 2023 2:56 pm

Mauswara wrote:
Mon Jul 03, 2023 3:35 am
number 9 wrote:
Floyd
Recognised the quote straight away. Never was quite sure about side 2. Always loved the first side, Atom Heart Mother. Pretentious, but lovely. A bit of a collaboration with Ron Geesin, a real eccentric. I’ve got 3 of his solo albums.

Mauswara

Post by Mauswara » Sun Jul 09, 2023 6:49 am

Andym wrote:
Mon Jul 03, 2023 2:56 pm
Mauswara wrote:
Mon Jul 03, 2023 3:35 am
number 9 wrote:
Floyd
Recognised the quote straight away. Never was quite sure about side 2. Always loved the first side, Atom Heart Mother. Pretentious, but lovely. A bit of a collaboration with Ron Geesin, a real eccentric. I’ve got 3 of his solo albums.
Did I read somewhere that Floyd upped and offed on tour and just left Geesin to overdub the orchestral stuff?

What have I been listening to? I got sent this wrong album by the band's distributor [url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atvsdFoUJW8], they're sending me the right one but I wanted this and is supposed to be OOP already. Bit chillout, didn't much go for it at the time.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Sun Jul 09, 2023 6:04 pm

Pink Floyd's best release could be High Hopes. Back in the fall of '94 music was fast on a downward spiral but recall at the time it were a real standout piece of artistry. Another Brick in the Wall has long since been rode into the ground, it's their signature tune but doesn't work for everyone.

They've had a long expansive career entailing different genres / line-ups, and while the same can be said of other acts, it actually seems to work for them.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sun Jul 09, 2023 7:52 pm

I’m a big Pink Floyd fan, although not as much as I used to be. My favorite album is Meddle, and I still listen to Dark Side of the Moon & Wish You Were Here respectively. The Wall was appealing when I was younger, but not so much now. My favorite cut from the movie isn’t even on the musical album. It’s the acoustic one when Pink or Geldof is building his memorial as he contemplates suicide. Listened to some earlier stuff with Barrett, but not really my cup of tea. Much of Water’s lyrics were dedicated to Syd, some Floyd fans don’t realize.

Frosty
Forum Owner

Post by Frosty » Mon Jul 10, 2023 7:52 am

Mine too mate, Echoes is my all time favourite Floyd track.

Andym

Post by Andym » Mon Jul 10, 2023 4:04 pm

The only ones I play regularly (i.e. maybe once a year) are Piper At The Gates Of Dawn and Atom Heart Mother. I would suggest that, regardless of quality, they are their most experimental and innovative.

Mauswara

Post by Mauswara » Mon Jul 10, 2023 5:54 pm

Andym wrote:
Mon Jul 10, 2023 4:04 pm
The only ones I play regularly (i.e. maybe once a year) are Piper At The Gates Of Dawn and Atom Heart Mother. I would suggest that, regardless of quality, they are their most experimental and innovative.
Haha. Same. I have Meddle and the obligatory DSOTM too which rarely gets spun, (plus The Madcap Laughs), but those two are the ones I play.

I think I saw them twice, 1970 Hyde Park and 1975(?) Knebworth, that was a good one.

Mauswara

Post by Mauswara » Fri Jul 14, 2023 11:16 am

Anyone here remember Weeley?

Best concert ever, maybe, in our manor and it kind of got memory holed.

I recall Rod and Marc turning up late and arguing about who should be the finale.

I walked home from it. Bit of a walk.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Sat Jul 15, 2023 6:20 pm

Culture club, Karma Chameleon. Wasn't my choice but that's what they got on right now.

That tune is 40 years old this summer or something, not sure where time goes to sometimes.

maybe goes to show we're ageing faster than would care for.

Mauswara

Post by Mauswara » Sat Jul 15, 2023 11:58 pm

arana peligrosa wrote:
Sat Jul 15, 2023 6:20 pm
Culture club, Karma Chameleon. Wasn't my choice but that's what they got on right now.

That tune is 40 years old this summer or something, not sure where time goes to sometimes.

maybe goes to show we're ageing faster than would care for.
Who knows where the time goes?

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sun Jul 16, 2023 1:07 am

Brian Eno: Thursday Afternoon remix

number 9

Post by number 9 » Mon Jul 17, 2023 12:48 am

One Eskimo: Ground Control…my theme song

Mauswara

Post by Mauswara » Sat Jul 22, 2023 12:49 pm

Andym

Post by Andym » Sun Jul 23, 2023 12:40 pm

Lifeblud.
Sort of poetic prog, made a couple of albums that I don’t think were released at the time. Picked up fairly-recently-released CDs of them, some really nice stuff, and a live recording that is almost unlistenable - I imagine it was recorded on a portable cassette recorder, probably under water and in a tunnel.
Also, a double CD of later stuff (1963-78), also unreleased at the time, where Roger Knott is going for the singer-songwriter vibe, a bit reminiscent of early Gerry Rafferty.
In my biased opinion there was so much good stuff around in the late 60s / early 70s that either got buried or nicer got released. Such a shame.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Tue Jul 25, 2023 9:14 pm

Bob Marley, Exodus

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Jul 26, 2023 2:59 pm

Thanks 9......., all morning been giving it, "EX-EEE-DUS"......, don't know any other words. :lol: Might have to ask the Siri contraption to play the "Legend" album later on.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Wed Jul 26, 2023 5:51 pm

marko69 wrote:
Wed Jul 26, 2023 2:59 pm
Thanks 9......., all morning been giving it, "EX-EEE-DUS"......, don't know any other words. :lol: Might have to ask the Siri contraption to play the "Legend" album later on.
I have Legend too. I dunno Marko, we’ve had our disagreements of late. I know I can be a bit spontaneous. I have trouble embracing my emotions with the understanding no one really cares haha. Anyway, I’m on personal leave for a couple weeks. I decided to smoke a brisket today…been drinking since 9am haha…that wasn’t my intention, but when you smoke brisket you also drink beer. You can take the boy out of Texas, but you can’t take the Texas out of the boy. Will always consider you a friend, although we’ve never met. Take care and don’t take my posts too seriously.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Jul 26, 2023 7:58 pm

Are you drinking now? :lol: I literally have no idea what you are talking about here. What was our disagreement? :shock:

I did a mini-search……. The Independence day stuff? 🤦‍♂️ :lol: Was that a disagreement or maybe your back going up slightly, and then the “Mr Marko’s” started …… which was quite funny in itself because i imagined you getting all slappy typey on your keyboard :lol:
“AND ANOTHER THING MR MARKO!” :lol:
I responded to mass shootings as i thought that required a bit of defence to the country.

But come on, man seriously …… as Sergeant Hulka would say, “Lighten up, Francis”……. And remember I am indeed Scottish; the most ridiculed and stereotyped race on this planet……. The skin is thick……. As is the head; which is why i struggle to understand Saint Spider, and you on occasion ——>> but tut phew, Americans eh?!!
:lol:
JOKING!! Keep the rug on!

We will enjoy a few jars one day and a few laughs, of that I do hope there is no doubt. Bring a cowbell 👍👌

number 9

Post by number 9 » Wed Jul 26, 2023 8:29 pm

I’m always drinking Marko. I try to stay sober for work, and I do. When I don’t have to work I drink. I’m probably not a good example for some of the younger posters, but I’m a 1980s boy and that’s what we do. As far as Saint is concerned, lost interest when he changed his name again for the umphteenth time. He does have insightful comments though. All we can do really is rejoice in the fact we’re not Norwich fans. I know I’m going to heaven when I die, yellow & green is reserved for pagans.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Jul 26, 2023 9:18 pm

I do not think there are young posters on here, 9. And if there are, they’ll be alco-popped-up so its all ok. 👍👌
Nothing wrong with a few bevvies after work. Think most of us who are not “TT” may do that. If you’re blasting music (On topic :lol: ) and arguing at mirrors, then maybe reign it in a bit.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Thu Jul 27, 2023 1:38 am

RIP Sinead O’Connor

The link below is not the obvious song, but the “real” Sinead.

https://youtu.be/jMzY_KQIKjU

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Thu Jul 27, 2023 2:15 am

How awful, it's a real shame.

I mean, one of the last things you get to (may or not) witness is your home nation being eliminated from a "football" tournament by Canadians..

Furthermore what difference does it makes how or when you change a user name. What you going to do, stick with the same label for 15 + years.

r.e. the other issue, Next time someone or anyone reaches for an alcoholic drink, take time to ask yourself : could you go without for almost eight years.. Guessing somehow not a damn chance.

Mauswara

Post by Mauswara » Fri Jul 28, 2023 9:09 am

Never a great Tull fan but ..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANH98dE0QQE

Andym

Post by Andym » Wed Aug 02, 2023 1:23 pm

Just picked up 5 second hand records from Out Of Time, my favourite shop.
Caravan - Blind Dog At St. Dunstans
It’s A Beautiful Day - Today
Rev Gary Davis - Live
Tim Hardin - Suite For Susan Moore
Fifty Foot Hose - Fifty Foot Hose.

They can be added to the list waiting to be played alongside last week’s CD purchases:
Brewer & Shipley - 4 albums on 2 CDs
Tom Paxton - How Come The Sun
The Roches - Speak
Wizz Jones - Wizz Jones
Waterson:Carthy - Waterson:Carthy

And a couple of previous LP purchases:
Plainsong - In Search Of Amelia Earhart
Keith Christmas - Brighter Day

I just need time to listen to them now.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Aug 02, 2023 6:04 pm

Bloody hell, Andy, you certainly give me plenty YouTube searches to carry out, (love it) ……. Only heard of (and like very much) Caravan out of that lot. Decent prog. 👍👌