What are you listening to?

A place to chat about anything thats not football related. Most of the threads in here are completely pointless which is why people keep coming back and back. As the forum title suggests, feel free to make any post you want on any subject you wish. It also has Adult jokes (so be warned) which is the other reason people keep coming back.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

arana peligrosa

Re: What are you listening to?

Post by arana peligrosa » Tue Oct 31, 2023 6:49 pm

Bill Shatner is great, even for a Canadian

(Listening now) Joan Jett and the Blackhearts, I love Rock and Roll

Must be round 40 years since this release, it's hasn't lost any of it's power or influence

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:40 pm

Was reported that his wife was walking around with poo on her head.

When asked why……. It was because William Shatner.

Very juvenile, but still a gets a chuckle at the “scraping the barrel” stage.

Mauswara

Post by Mauswara » Sun Nov 05, 2023 9:54 am

The artist I've seen live the most is John Martyn, most times just him with Danny Thompson on double bass.

Solid Air.

Andym

Post by Andym » Sun Nov 05, 2023 11:50 am

Mauswara wrote:
Sun Nov 05, 2023 9:54 am
The artist I've seen live the most is John Martyn, most times just him with Danny Thompson on double bass.

Solid Air.
A genius. I remember buying The Tumbler and loving it; I just kept buying his albums as they came out, in guess I have 15 or so.
Solid Air is an amazing album, the title track has always been assumed to be about Nick Drake.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Sun Nov 05, 2023 6:36 pm

Living next door to Alice, believe Smokie released it back in the day. They got a 1970's tribute on.

for those of a certain age 72 - 74 was one of the best eras for music, took a dip in the middle decade and recovered between 77 - 79 to provide further outstanding tracks. Fan of things like Blondie and Gary Numan so kind of biased but it's true, those select years were something else.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Nov 06, 2023 7:35 pm

Who the f**k is Alice, Saint?

number 9

Post by number 9 » Mon Nov 06, 2023 11:25 pm

marko69 wrote:
Wed Jul 26, 2023 2:59 pm
Thanks 9......., all morning been giving it, "EX-EEE-DUS"......, don't know any other words. :lol: Might have to ask the Siri contraption to play the "Legend" album later on.
Forgot to reply to this! Yeah me too…no idea! :lol:

Mauswara

Post by Mauswara » Thu Nov 09, 2023 8:31 am

Andym wrote:
Sun Nov 05, 2023 11:50 am
Mauswara wrote:

Solid Air.
A genius. I remember buying The Tumbler and loving it; I just kept buying his albums as they came out, in guess I have 15 or so.
Solid Air is an amazing album, the title track has always been assumed to be about Nick Drake.
Aye, he and Nick Drake were friends and the song is apparently about him. I have the three Drake LPs and they get the occasional spin; I don't think he ever recorded a cheerful song though. Maybe "Northern Sky" comes close.

Andym

Post by Andym » Thu Nov 09, 2023 8:41 pm

Mauswara wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2023 8:31 am
Andym wrote:
Mauswara wrote:

Solid Air.
Aye, he and Nick Drake were friends and the song is apparently about him. I have the three Drake LPs and they get the occasional spin; I don't think he ever recorded a cheerful song though. Maybe "Northern Sky" comes close.
They are worth a few Bob if they are just pressings. I bought the 4-LP box set to get the 4th album, and gave away the second and third albums I already had. Keith the first one, it’s one of 3 albums I own that regularly sell for £300+.

Mauswara

Post by Mauswara » Fri Nov 10, 2023 1:34 am

Andym wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2023 8:41 pm
Mauswara wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2023 8:31 am
Andym wrote:

They are worth a few Bob if they are just pressings. I bought the 4-LP box set to get the 4th album, and gave away the second and third albums I already had. Keith the first one, it’s one of 3 albums I own that regularly sell for £300+.
My first two are UK reissues, '76 and '78 , Pink Moon is an original though, NZ pressing, that one is rare. To think he was still another obscure artist until Volkswagen used his song in an advert.

Mauswara

Post by Mauswara » Sun Nov 12, 2023 12:28 pm

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Sun Nov 12, 2023 7:33 pm

Shaking Stevens / This Ole House

The Welsh Elvis made a good effort with this re-release cover track, was a huge hit back in the day along with things like Green Door but kids today won't have no idea or memory of it.

Some of other Steven's releases are want for better word, questionable, but that one track alone still resonates today. 1981 was a great year for music, one of the very best. Not being biased because Town did so well, it were our finest season et cetera, there really were some fine releases and top drawer music. Such a shame what people are used to or choose to accept today.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Nov 12, 2023 8:06 pm

arana peligrosa wrote:
Sun Nov 12, 2023 7:33 pm
Shaking Stevens / This Ole House

The Welsh Elvis made a good effort with this re-release cover track, was a huge hit back in the day along with things like Green Door but kids today won't have no idea or memory of it.

Some of other Steven's releases are want for better word, questionable, but that one track alone still resonates today. 1981 was a great year for music, one of the very best. Not being biased because Town did so well, it were our finest season et cetera, there really were some fine releases and top drawer music. Such a shame what people are used to or choose to accept today.
That sounds like a medical condition, Saint ......, or murder?! :shock: :lol:

Can't believe you've mentioned 1981 and omitted "Vienna" not making No1 ! :lol:

Mauswara

Post by Mauswara » Sat Nov 18, 2023 9:51 am

Any love for Zappa?

I don't go much for his solo stuff but I do like The Mothers Of Invention. Uncle Meat is my favourite of his albums.

The Mothers Of Invention - The Air
messed up Doo-Wop

The Mothers Of Invention - Project X
what is this, prog? free jazz? I don't like free jazz, sounds like elephants mating, but this is good.

Andym

Post by Andym » Sat Nov 18, 2023 11:39 am

Mauswara wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2023 9:51 am
Any love for Zappa?

I don't go much for his solo stuff but I do like The Mothers Of Invention. Uncle Meat is my favourite of his albums.

messed up Doo-Wop

what is this, prog? free jazz? I don't like free jazz, sounds like elephants mating, but this is good.
I like that. The only Mothers stuff I have legitimate cops of are Live at the Fillmore and Weasels Ripped My Flesh.
I have Zappa’s Hot Rats, Apistrophe and Overnite Sensation. I think that of all of those, Hot Rats is my favourite.
Last edited by Andym on Sat Nov 18, 2023 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Nov 18, 2023 2:25 pm

Spocks Beard, “June” live & the Whiskey.

What a tune ——>> June. 👍👌

https://youtu.be/VW8cbh_qoU8?si=wizwwRoxUn3dBf11

Worth the entire 7 minutes guys. I think you’ll both appreciate this, Andy & Mauz.

Mauswara

Post by Mauswara » Sun Nov 19, 2023 2:14 am

marko69 wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2023 2:25 pm

Worth the entire 7 minutes guys. I think you’ll both appreciate this, Andy & Mauz.
Bit MOR for me Marko, reminds me of all things of America, nice acoustic guitar intro liked that.

- -
Andym wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2023 11:39 am
Mauswara wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2023 9:51 am
Any love for Zappa?

messed up Doo-Wop

I like that. The only Mothers stuff I have legitimate cops of are Live at the Fillmore and Weasels Ripped My Flesh.
I have Zappa’s Hot Rats, Apistrophe and Overnite Sensation. I think that of all of those, Hot Rats is my favourite.
Overnite Sensation is also a Mothers album, I think maybe not all the same band members as the early MOI. Hot Rats is probably his best known work, if you like that you'll like Waka/Jawaka, it's a sorta Hot Rats Part 2

- -

Any Queen fans? What do you think of this: https://youtu.be/jYvcdhCbzJw
It's fake, but fun.

Mauswara

Post by Mauswara » Sat Nov 25, 2023 1:59 am

Lucked onto a nice local copy of Pet Sounds this week, it didn't sell much here so it's a bit elusive.

Andym

Post by Andym » Sat Nov 25, 2023 8:40 am

Mauswara wrote:
Sat Nov 25, 2023 1:59 am
Lucked onto a nice local copy of Pet Sounds this week, it didn't sell much here so it's a bit elusive.
The Beach Boys’ masterpiece. A great album.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Mon Nov 27, 2023 1:26 am

U2, Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me, just recent. This is easily one of their best ones, a clear deviation on their usual releases but it works. Would have been soundtrack to one of the Batman movies of the mid 1990's and wouldn't swap it with anything else. It's immense.

With considerable regret it was prevented from being a Number 1 in the UK by a pair of reprehensible c*cks going under the name of 'Robson and Jerome' . It's tough to add further on it without use of profanities. Hit the top in their native Ireland and other parts of Europe. Ever get a moment, check it out, it's an awesome track, you could listen time and again.

Andym

Post by Andym » Mon Nov 27, 2023 4:04 pm

marko69 wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2023 2:25 pm

Enjoyed that. Just listened to a compilation of theirs, The First Twenty Years. Some good stuff, very varied.

Played some Eric Dolphy in the car earlier. Grabbed a cd at random. Didn’t know I had any of his. Jazz, quite experimental.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Nov 27, 2023 7:25 pm

That first 20 years cd is a great intro to The Spocks 👍👌

Mauswara

Post by Mauswara » Sat Dec 02, 2023 9:08 am

This is going back a bit. Nice and funky and was banned by the BBC.

Jane Birkin And Serge Gainsbourg – Je T'aime...Moi Non Plus

Andym

Post by Andym » Sat Dec 02, 2023 1:01 pm

Mauswara wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2023 9:08 am

Indeed, they banned a lot over the years.

Just played Caravan, For Girls Who Grow Plump In The Night. It used to be my second favourite Caravan album after Land Of Grey And Pink, but I think I actually prefer For Girls now.
Prior to that I was playing the first Martin Mull album. Witty songs, beautifully played.

Mauswara

Post by Mauswara » Sat Dec 02, 2023 1:49 pm

Andym wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2023 1:01 pm
Mauswara wrote:

Just played Caravan, For Girls Who Grow Plump In The Night. It used to be my second favourite Caravan album after Land Of Grey And Pink, but I think I actually prefer For Girls now.
Prior to that I was playing the first Martin Mull album. Witty songs, beautifully played.
Have the first two Caravan albums. The first one is very Canterbury Scene. Don't know 'For Girls Who Grow Plump In The Night' but will check it out.

Bit dodgy search results so far though.

Mauswara

Post by Mauswara » Sat Dec 02, 2023 2:21 pm

Andym wrote:
Mauswara wrote:

Bloody hell Andy, now there's another record I have to have that I didn't know I needed!

... --- ... and more, how did I never hear of Michael Mull before? Must be living on some remote pacific island or something.

Andym

Post by Andym » Sat Dec 02, 2023 8:39 pm

Mauswara wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2023 2:21 pm
Andym wrote:
Mauswara wrote:

Bloody hell Andy, now there's another record I have to have that I didn't know I needed!

... --- ... and more, how did I never hear of Michael Mull before? Must be living on some remote pacific island or something.
I bought the Martin Mull many years ago, in the 70s. I’d never heard of him. But it was on Capricorn Records label so took a chance, it was probably a quid second hand.
An actor and musician, sort of Randy Newman/ish in dry humour. Not brilliant but good fun. Opening track, Ventriloquist Love, tells the tale of being married to a girl who becomes a ventriloquist and ends up embarrassing him at a party by making him “say” things. Has a great chorus of “Whenever I kiss you your lips never move.”
Have several Caravan albums, I really think “For Girls…” is up there with the best.

Andym

Post by Andym » Wed Dec 06, 2023 8:02 pm

Little visit to Out Of Time today. Picked up 4 goodies, nothing special but just filled gaps in the collection.
Kevin Ayers “Sweet Deceiver”, Neil Young “Everybody’s Rockin” , Joe Walsh “You Bought It - You Name It”, and Murray Head “Voices”.
All very normal stuff and in most cases not their best - but I tend to have their best stuff already.

Mauswara

Post by Mauswara » Thu Dec 07, 2023 12:47 am

Andym wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2023 8:02 pm
Little visit to Out Of Time today. Picked up 4 goodies, nothing special but just filled gaps in the collection.
Kevin Ayers “Sweet Deceiver”, Neil Young “Everybody’s Rockin” , Joe Walsh “You Bought It - You Name It”, and Murray Head “Voices”.
All very normal stuff and in most cases not their best - but I tend to have their best stuff already.
Haha, for sure. Have quite a few LPs by the first three of those artists, far too many NY ones, but not those titles. I only know Murray Head for the big hit.

"Out Of Time" is a great shop, miles better than anything in Norwich!

Mauswara

Post by Mauswara » Sat Dec 09, 2023 4:48 am

This one's for the Kiwis

Stole My Car

this version might be more recognisable elsewhere.