What are you listening to?

A place to chat about anything thats not football related. Most of the threads in here are completely pointless which is why people keep coming back and back. As the forum title suggests, feel free to make any post you want on any subject you wish. It also has Adult jokes (so be warned) which is the other reason people keep coming back.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Mauswara

Re: What are you listening to?

Post by Mauswara » Sun Feb 25, 2024 12:51 am

Seeing as it's Sunday Morning.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sun Feb 25, 2024 12:58 am

Mauswara wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2024 12:51 am
Haha. It looks like a summer day in England. What’s that song VU recorded when you can hear someone get murdered in the background??

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sun Feb 25, 2024 1:25 am

Now it’s Tool, Fear Inoculum

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sun Feb 25, 2024 1:28 am

Pneuma is brilliant, Marko! A little heavier than REO Speedwagon.

Mauswara

Post by Mauswara » Sun Feb 25, 2024 10:46 am

number 9 wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2024 12:58 am
Mauswara wrote:
Haha. It looks like a summer day in England. What’s that song VU recorded when you can hear someone get murdered in the background??
Maybe The Gift ?

Andym

Post by Andym » Sun Feb 25, 2024 10:22 pm

Mauswara wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2024 10:46 am
number 9 wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2024 12:58 am
Mauswara wrote:
Maybe The Gift ?
That’s the one where the boyfriend posts himself to his girlfriend. Don’t remember actually hearing the murder but it could be the one. Haven’t played it in a while.

Mauswara

Post by Mauswara » Mon Feb 26, 2024 7:48 am

The computer's random pick just now: Kinks - Australia

Bloody bonza tune, strewth.

Andym

Post by Andym » Tue Feb 27, 2024 3:15 am

Mauswara wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2024 7:48 am

Indeed it is. That (Arthur) is an album I don’t have. Must find one when I get home.

Mauswara

Post by Mauswara » Tue Feb 27, 2024 4:49 am

Andym wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2024 3:15 am
Mauswara wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2024 7:48 am

Indeed it is. That (Arthur) is an album I don’t have. Must find one when I get home.
I like the bit at the end where they do a bit of Rolf Harris' style wobbleboard in the background. I have a 100% lossless version of a 2004 expanded edition here, 4 CDs worth with lots of bonus tracks. Can PM you a download link if you like, 1.6GB all-up.

Mauswara

Post by Mauswara » Sat Mar 02, 2024 3:00 am

Well the neighbours next door on one side had all the drunken women back after the club shut last night and were giving it heaps at 2:30am on their deck right next to our bedroom when I finally blacked out.

And this morning the other side neighbour has just spent three quarters of a f**king hour chasing a leaf around his section with the world's noisiest blower.

So, 3pm Saturday arvo and I feel quite justified in cranking up the volume on Dirt a wee bit.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Mar 02, 2024 10:59 am

:lol: 👍👌

When i lived in a top flat many years ago, a couple moved in below. Wasnt long before they thought it was ok to blast that early 90s dance stuff, (The Shamen, KLF etc) …. The entire block was getting irritated. They were below me though. One Friday i arrived back. Music was on. I thought f*ck this. Went into my flat, put Ride the Lightening by Metallica into the CD player. Flipped the speakers face down into the carpet, and blasted the entire album until it finished. When it was done, other than the ringing in my ears, there was silence. And it remedied the “problem” moving forward without having to tap doors.
Unspoken rule…… i don't wanna hear your sh*t, and you really don’t wanna hear mine. Sorted. 👍👌

number 9

Post by number 9 » Mon Mar 04, 2024 12:55 am

Listening to Dire Straits live at Wembley. Reading the noisy neighbors comments reminded me of an occasion early 80s before I moved to the States. We’d been partying at a pub in Melton. I believe it was the White Horse. Anyway we were friends with the owner and he pulled the curtains after closing time and kept serving. We were well gone then an Ipswich mate said we should taxi to my place and keep the party going. So we all piled into a taxi and went to Ipswich. It’s probably after midnight at this point and when we got there he kept talking about his new Bose speakers. He proceeded to put on Private Investigations live and turned up the volume. I almost dropped my beer when the music kicked in and I swear my hair was moving with the loud music. Anyway it’s now probably two in the morning and we get a taxi back to Woodbridge. We’re all wasted and get the munchies so we convince the taxi driver to take us by a kebab shop. There’s probably five of us crammed in a four passenger taxi! I felt so bad when we arrived and got out of the taxi because I could hear the crunching sounds of us standing on all the onions that had fell on the floor! Poor old taxi driver had a mess to clean up! :lol:

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Mar 04, 2024 10:00 pm

number 9 wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2024 12:55 am
Listening to Dire Straits live at Wembley. Reading the noisy neighbors comments reminded me of an occasion early 80s before I moved to the States. We’d been partying at a pub in Melton. I believe it was the White Horse. Anyway we were friends with the owner and he pulled the curtains after closing time and kept serving. We were well gone then an Ipswich mate said we should taxi to my place and keep the party going. So we all piled into a taxi and went to Ipswich. It’s probably after midnight at this point and when we got there he kept talking about his new Bose speakers. He proceeded to put on Private Investigations live and turned up the volume. I almost dropped my beer when the music kicked in and I swear my hair was moving with the loud music. Anyway it’s now probably two in the morning and we get a taxi back to Woodbridge. We’re all wasted and get the munchies so we convince the taxi driver to take us by a kebab shop. There’s probably five of us crammed in a four passenger taxi! I felt so bad when we arrived and got out of the taxi because I could hear the crunching sounds of us standing on all the onions that had fell on the floor! Poor old taxi driver had a mess to clean up! :lol:

I know the part in that song (if it was loud) that you would've shat it and spilled beer. :lol: :lol: :lol: Nice description, I was right there!

number 9

Post by number 9 » Mon Mar 04, 2024 10:44 pm

Not music related, but on another occasion I had an experience at a Chinese Take-away in Woodbridge. Like the Kabab shops in Ipswich they stayed open all night to get the drunk’s business. We’d all been to an Ipswich match that we won, and there was a group of us got off the train drunk and singing. So once again we got the munchies and the only thing open was the Chinese place. The Chinese owner was very strict in that it was take-away only. As you can imagine, it took a while to get all the orders in…and some of us sat down and started tearing in to the greasy egg rolls. Well the Chinese owner came out of the kitchen with a knife and started yelling “No eat food inside!” So we all laughed and started singing “Charlie Chan, Charlie Chan, Charlie Chan” like a football anthem. Poor old Chinese man, he turned red and threatened to stab us lol! We were c*cks back then! :lol:

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Mar 04, 2024 11:00 pm

Holy sh*t, :shock: you'd all get locked up today, key thrown away! Jeezo. :lol: I thought we were "bad" back in the day, (80s)....., you win, 9! :lol:

number 9

Post by number 9 » Mon Mar 04, 2024 11:10 pm

marko69 wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2024 11:00 pm
Holy sh*t, :shock: you'd all get locked up today, key thrown away! Jeezo. :lol: I thought we were "bad" back in the day, (80s)....., you win, 9! :lol:
I was a very naughty boy, and I’m still paying for it! :lol:

number 9

Post by number 9 » Mon Mar 04, 2024 11:52 pm

Listening to Fearless on Meddle, Pink Floyd. It’s probably my favourite album. Fearless…the lyrics have so many meanings for me. Goals I’ve achieved and goals I’ve not achieved. The Liverpool chants confirm my love of football, but the words echo my challenges in life. Don’t chide me, I’ve climbed mountains figuratively…haven’t traveled to San Tropez, but I’ve been all over Europe and the Balkans and the Baltics for that matter. So resting on the howls of Seamus, I continue my quest for solitude and happiness. One of these days I’ll be ok, and I’ll rest my head on a pillow of winds.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Mar 05, 2024 9:18 am

number 9 wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2024 11:52 pm
Listening to Fearless on Meddle, Pink Floyd. It’s probably my favourite album. Fearless…the lyrics have so many meanings for me. Goals I’ve achieved and goals I’ve not achieved. The Liverpool chants confirm my love of football, but the words echo my challenges in life. Don’t chide me, I’ve climbed mountains figuratively…haven’t traveled to San Tropez, but I’ve been all over Europe and the Balkans and the Baltics for that matter. So resting on the howls of Seamus, I continue my quest for solitude and happiness. One of these days I’ll be ok, and I’ll rest my head on a pillow of winds.
Very nice post, 9. 👍👌

Can’t speak for everyone on this thread, but this thread definitely leads me to days, (sometimes weeks) of listening to certain bands that have been posted. Some of Ohios posts with the glam metal has Motley Crüe in the cd player for weeks.

In this case, Pink Floyd. I’ll be all over Meddle for days now, (you bstd! :lol: )
But nice post mixing your own “Stuff” in with that album. Liked that. Not too sure about the solitude, but if you are indeed looking for “happiness” , I hope that quest is ticked off the list soon. But hey, having said that re solitude; if you’re like one of my buddies, Mike D, (not the Beastie Boy) then mixing the solitude with a smattering of a few laughs is totally fine. 👍👌

On a football note, Ipswich Town Fc getting to the EPL could “maybe” bring some joy. And hopefully the club don’t ever “walk alone” while in the midst of that journey ——>> like an empty Bramall Lane.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Tue Mar 05, 2024 5:03 pm

Enya. Orinoco Flow

can't understand what she's singing about but it's a timeless bit of music. 1988 was a poor year for tunes but this stands out above many others of that era.

Andym

Post by Andym » Wed Mar 06, 2024 5:54 am

number 9 wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2024 11:52 pm
Haven’t played it in years; I always turn to Piper or Atom Heart Mother for a Floyd fix. But Meddle is indeed a fine and somewhat underrated album in my opinion.

Just been playing the Masked Marauders. Fit those who don’t know the album….
In its October 18, 1969 issue, Rolling Stone ran a tongue-in-cheek review of a non-existent album that purportedly captured a "super session" of the era's leading rock and roll musicians, including Bob Dylan, Mick Jagger, George Harrison, John Lennon, and Paul McCartney. The review claimed that none of the artists could be listed on the jacket cover because of contractual agreements with their recording companies. The editors involved decided to extend the joke by hiring a relatively obscure band to record an actual album and then secured a deal with Warner Bros. As an indication of how many people were taken in by the joke, The Masked Marauders reached No. 114 on Billboard's album chart. (Wikipedia)

I should add that the “relatively obscure band” Who recorded the album was the Cleanliness & Godliness Skiffle Band, and I confess to having their only album recorded under their own name, jokingly entitled “Greatest Hits.”

Mauswara

Post by Mauswara » Fri Mar 08, 2024 11:22 am

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sun Mar 10, 2024 11:22 pm

Back to Modest Mouse…3rd Planet…I really like that one.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Mon Mar 11, 2024 12:03 am

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Mar 11, 2024 7:02 pm

Thats one of those songs whereby it’s a reminder of these convs.

(A different Stranglers song playing)
“Great song that by the stranglers.”
“Is that the stranglers?”
“Yep”
“I only know Golden Brown.”

number 9

Post by number 9 » Mon Mar 11, 2024 7:30 pm

Here’s another from the past…sort of the same genre. I don’t know who influenced who, but there’s definitely some Doors undertones?

https://youtu.be/yxrz00XSOAo?si=x-VWzA_45OycrkgI

Andym

Post by Andym » Mon Mar 11, 2024 10:45 pm

number 9 wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2024 12:03 am
Remember this?

https://youtu.be/f3hCn8kS2Ps?si=MRv7VDEHXBi3oTSu
Still have their first album. And their greatest hits. Not sure when I last played either of them. A bit of an enigma, they latched onto punk but were decent musicians.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Tue Mar 12, 2024 11:35 am

Andym

Post by Andym » Tue Mar 12, 2024 9:39 pm

number 9 wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2024 11:35 am
Hey Andy, have you seen this?

https://www.theguardian.com/business/20 ... rning_brew
I did see the headline. Surprising really, although vinyl sales are increasing, they are still pretty low in the age of streaming. It’s rare that I buy new vinyl. Nearly all mine is second hand (largely because of my interest being in older stuff); if I want new stuff I go for CDs mainly they are cheaper.
But I do like the idea that sales are growing again - not least because the artists get so little from streaming.

Mauswara

Post by Mauswara » Fri Mar 22, 2024 11:16 am

Andym

Post by Andym » Sat Mar 23, 2024 8:44 am

Mauswara wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2024 11:16 am
America
Bookends was such a great album. Their best by a mile. Often overlooked these days because of the huge success of Bridge Over Troubled Water but in my opinion Bookends is miles better.