What are you listening to?

A place to chat about anything thats not football related. Most of the threads in here are completely pointless which is why people keep coming back and back. As the forum title suggests, feel free to make any post you want on any subject you wish. It also has Adult jokes (so be warned) which is the other reason people keep coming back.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

marko69
Global Moderator

Re: What are you listening to?

Post by marko69 » Sat Mar 23, 2024 2:05 pm

Best by a mile, Andy? :shock: Wow.

I absolutely LOVE Bookends, but BOTW is an all time classic album.

I always remember back in the 90s casually singing “The only living boy in NY” while installing my parents’ new boiler. My dad says, “you know who Tom is?”
Me: “🤷‍♂️no idea.”
Dad: “its Art Garfunkel. They started out as Tom & Jerry. Thats Paul Simon writing a song for Art.”
(Dad , major S&G fan)
But always see Art Garfunkels face when i hear that song these days.

I’m gonna guess you’ll have early Tom & Jerry demos in your extensive collection, Andy? :D 👍

Andym

Post by Andym » Sat Mar 23, 2024 6:07 pm

marko69 wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2024 2:05 pm

I always remember back in the 90s casually singing “The only living boy in NY” while installing my parents’ new boiler. My dad says, “you know who Tom is?”
Dad: “its Art Garfunkel. They started out as Tom & Jerry. Thats Paul Simon writing a song for Art.”
(Dad , major S&G fan)

I’m gonna guess you’ll have early Tom & Jerry demos in your extensive collection, Andy? :D 👍
No Tom & Jerry I'm afraid. Be worth a few bob if I did I imagine. I bought the first 4 S&G albums in my early teens (excluding the Mrs. Robinson soundtrack which was a mishmash of stuff from other albums). I did find the drums a bit excessive on one of the early albums, I think the would sound better without them. I think what put me off BOTW was the title track that in my humble opinion is overproduced (as well as too long), and also the cover of Bye Bye Love. No-one can beat the Everly Brothers. (Bye Bye Love was my first ever record, the Summer of 1957, I was three and a half. I'm so old it was a 78 rpm.) I did eventually buy BOTW a few years ago. I think the other thing about it is the title track is really a showcase for Art; I've always felt Paul Simon was the real talent - songwriter, guitarist, harmony vocals - who carried Art Garfunkel. Just a personal bias I guess. I have a few Paul Simon solo albums (including the Paul Simon Songbook which I think was recorded in England around the time of the first S&G album. No Art Garfunkel solos in my collection. Just not my thing.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Sat Mar 23, 2024 6:30 pm

Paul Simon was or is a great songwriter and performer but was never really one for his music. You Can Call Me Al with Chevy Chase is adequate and stands the test of time but after so many listens it's really nothing new.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Mar 23, 2024 8:30 pm

Andym wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2024 6:07 pm
marko69 wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2024 2:05 pm

(Dad , major S&G fan)

No Tom & Jerry I'm afraid. Be worth a few bob if I did I imagine. I bought the first 4 S&G albums in my early teens (excluding the Mrs. Robinson soundtrack which was a mishmash of stuff from other albums). I did find the drums a bit excessive on one of the early albums, I think the would sound better without them. I think what put me off BOTW was the title track that in my humble opinion is overproduced (as well as too long), and also the cover of Bye Bye Love. No-one can beat the Everly Brothers. (Bye Bye Love was my first ever record, the Summer of 1957, I was three and a half. I'm so old it was a 78 rpm.) I did eventually buy BOTW a few years ago. I think the other thing about it is the title track is really a showcase for Art; I've always felt Paul Simon was the real talent - songwriter, guitarist, harmony vocals - who carried Art Garfunkel. Just a personal bias I guess. I have a few Paul Simon solo albums (including the Paul Simon Songbook which I think was recorded in England around the time of the first S&G album. No Art Garfunkel solos in my collection. Just not my thing.
The part in bold: Most people do think that. Paul Simon is an extraordinary talent. As is AG but not everyone’s cup o tea.

I don’t mind the Bye Bye Love cover version as I reckon its very good indeed. Nothing worse than a poor cover version.
But having said that ——->> i heard S&G’s version long before i knew it was an Everly Brothers song. S&G was played more in my household along with both The Beatles and The Stones. Parents still love their music.

Mauswara

Post by Mauswara » Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:03 am

Andym wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2024 8:44 am
Mauswara wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2024 11:16 am
America
Bookends was such a great album. Their best by a mile. Often overlooked these days because of the huge success of Bridge Over Troubled Water but in my opinion Bookends is miles better.
I also think Bookends is in a different league to their other records. Agree that BOTW is damned by the title track too. Bookends is more of a concept album dealing with time and ageing; 'a time of innocence, a time of consequences', 'look around, leaves are brown, there's a touch of snow on the ground'. Great stuff

This was one of the first two LPs I ever owned, I got them from one of those catalogues which every house had laying around in those days, limited selection but you could pay them off at two bob a week or whatever it was. The other album was 'Horizontal' by the Bee Gees, I still have copies of both LPs though not the ones I first had originally. Am not much of a Bee Gees fan but I like that one. Both this and Bookends have that psych twist, very 1968.

Birdie Told Me

Mauswara

Post by Mauswara » Sat Apr 13, 2024 10:50 am

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sun Apr 14, 2024 11:00 pm

I’m listening to Sade this evening, fellas.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Apr 14, 2024 11:26 pm

Your Love is King, 9

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sun Apr 14, 2024 11:43 pm

Listening to the lizard king now!

number 9

Post by number 9 » Mon Apr 15, 2024 12:43 am

Got the mojo rising!

Mauswara

Post by Mauswara » Sat Apr 20, 2024 9:21 am

Andym

Post by Andym » Sat Apr 20, 2024 6:15 pm

Mauswara wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2024 9:21 am
Andmoreagain
In my humble opinion, one of the greatest albums ever. Nothing flash or showy, just wonderful. Quite a downer lyrically in parts.
I bought Da Capo (their second album) when it came out. Still have it (of course), a mono copy. Some lovely stuff on that too, including The Castle, instrumental part of which was used I believe as the theme tune for Holiday 69 with Judith Chalmers. The first album I knew with one track taking up a whole side.
But Forever Changes was even better. Their masterpiece.
By the time of their fourth album, Four Sail, there was a completely new band (apart from Arthur Lee of course). A bit more of a rock album with some neat guitar work weaving in and out of the songs. In my opinion it’s underrated. The double Out Here followed, which might have made a decent single album. Then came False Start with I think had Hendrix on one track. A few years later came Reel To Real which wasn’t great.
Haven’t mentioned the first album yet which is a bit Byrds-like I guess.
If you’ve read this much you’ve probably guessed that I was a huge fan. Those were the days when if it was on the Elektra label you knew it was going to be good. The first rock band to sign for them (it was pretty much a folk label until then, and it was because they signed Love that Jim Morrison thought it would be a good fit for the Doors.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Apr 20, 2024 6:52 pm

Andym wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2024 6:15 pm
Mauswara wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2024 9:21 am
Andmoreagain
Quite a downer lyrically in parts..
Get the new Taylor Swift offering, Andy. That’ll perk you up! 👍👌💃🕺🏽

Listening to now.
“Testimony” double album by Neal Morse.
Quality modern prog rock. (2001)

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sat Apr 20, 2024 9:06 pm

Something tells me if I throw a party, I won’t ask you guys to DJ! Lol!

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Apr 20, 2024 10:53 pm

number 9 wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2024 9:06 pm
Something tells me if I throw a party, I won’t ask you guys to DJ! Lol!
:lol:

Mauswara

Post by Mauswara » Sun Apr 21, 2024 7:28 am

I'm with Andy again here, been a fan since forever with all their albums on the shelf (except Reel-to-Real), plus a couple of singles and Arthur Lee's 'Vindicator'.

But if sat in front of two turntables and a microphone, I doubt I'd pick Love.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Mon Apr 22, 2024 10:27 pm

Young, Decade…now don’t you start Andy & Menstrual!!

Mauswara

Post by Mauswara » Mon Apr 22, 2024 10:55 pm

number 9 wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2024 10:27 pm
Very nice compilation that, was also listening to it very recently, I enjoyed the version of Sugar Mountain on this.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Mon Apr 22, 2024 11:23 pm

Mauswara wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2024 10:55 pm
number 9 wrote:
Very nice compilation that, was also listening to it very recently, I enjoyed the version of Sugar Mountain on this.
👍

number 9

Post by number 9 » Mon Apr 22, 2024 11:43 pm

Told my daughters when I die I want Old Man played at my memorial. I definitely don’t wanna be buried. I wanna be burned to dust and ashes.

Andym

Post by Andym » Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:06 am

number 9 wrote:
I’ve never owned this, I had too much of the contents already. A huge talent, I think I have over 20 Neil young albums (plus 3 CSNY and a couple of Springfield). He never stands still, hasn’t found a formula and sticks to it. He moves on, so inventive.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:21 am

Andym wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:06 am
number 9 wrote:
I’ve never owned this………
Nope……. Don’t believe you, Andy. :lol:

Mauswara

Post by Mauswara » Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:54 am

Serendipity

The art of finding something when you're not looking for it

That's how we discovered the Bangkok Beatles

These guys have all the moves
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3j4JBM8MWYU

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:43 am

Jurgen Klopp shouldering blame for his millionaire defence who couldn’t defend two Everton set pieces.

Mauswara

Post by Mauswara » Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:48 am

Spun 'Jesus Of Cool' today, what a Great poprock album that is, banger after banger. So It Goes isn't even one of the best but it could have been written today.

"All day discussion with the Russians ... in walks the US representative, he's the one with the tired eyes'.

hey ho