What are you listening to?

A place to chat about anything thats not football related. Most of the threads in here are completely pointless which is why people keep coming back and back. As the forum title suggests, feel free to make any post you want on any subject you wish. It also has Adult jokes (so be warned) which is the other reason people keep coming back.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Mauswara

Re: What are you listening to?

Post by Mauswara » Fri Dec 15, 2023 6:26 am

Andym

Post by Andym » Fri Dec 15, 2023 8:36 am

Mauswara wrote:
Fri Dec 15, 2023 6:26 am
God's Footballer
I do like a bit of Billy Bragg. About Peter Knowles?

Mauswara

Post by Mauswara » Fri Dec 15, 2023 9:11 am

Andym wrote:
Fri Dec 15, 2023 8:36 am
Mauswara wrote:
God's Footballer
Aye.

"Following his retirement from football Knowles worked as a milkman, a window cleaner and in the warehouse of Marks & Spencer.[4] Knowles has consistently stated that he never regretted giving up football."

Mauswara

Post by Mauswara » Fri Dec 15, 2023 9:22 am

Mauswara wrote:
Fri Dec 15, 2023 9:11 am
Andym wrote:
Fri Dec 15, 2023 8:36 am
Mauswara wrote:
God's Footballer
Aye.

"Following his retirement from football Knowles worked as a milkman, a window cleaner and in the warehouse of Marks & Spencer. Knowles has consistently stated that he never regretted giving up football."

Andym

Post by Andym » Sun Dec 17, 2023 2:47 pm

Spirogyra. (The Canterbury band, not the U.S. one)
One of the slightly lesser known Canterbury bands and quite different from the Caravan/National Health/Egg/Hatfield & The North bunch.
A bit proggy, a bit folky, not a bad listen.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Mon Dec 18, 2023 1:12 am

Eno: Plateaux of Mirror

JohnnyB

Post by JohnnyB » Tue Dec 19, 2023 2:29 pm

Don't normally post here but here goes...

Seen Lankum live recently and it was fantastic. Their most recent album is a treat if Irish folk crossed with velvet underground drones is of interest

I like playing the late night tales vinyl at home

I remain thoughly committed to Oh sees

Old school recent respins: Bob Dylan desire, stranglers ratus norvegicus, songs to learn and sing

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Dec 19, 2023 2:30 pm

Daughter is 32 tomorrow. For some reason, Floyd “live” in Venice makes me think of her birth. Must’ve been the cassette in the car during that time.

Delicate Sound of Thunder - Pink Floyd

https://youtu.be/5lsiN2t_LmU?si=paUFTTxjzX5_UOhp

Mauswara

Post by Mauswara » Thu Dec 21, 2023 9:52 am

Mauswara

Post by Mauswara » Sat Dec 23, 2023 3:43 pm

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sun Jan 07, 2024 12:50 am

Flock of Seagulls, I Ran. Seriously!😐

Andym

Post by Andym » Sun Jan 21, 2024 3:26 pm

Went to the Apex last Tuesday to see Tommy Emmanuel, with Molly Tuttle supporting. And playing a few together at the end. Tommy is a great showman as well as a guitar virtuoso. I’ve seen him 3 or 4 times live, brilliant.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pM8rDroaz ... kgdHV0dGxl

Andym

Post by Andym » Thu Jan 25, 2024 8:33 am

R.I.P. Melanie. I must have about 5 of her albums. Pretty well made her name at Woodstock, a voice that could be gentle or rip your head off.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Thu Jan 25, 2024 2:12 pm

Andym wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2024 8:33 am
R.I.P. Melanie. I must have about 5 of her albums. Pretty well made her name at Woodstock, a voice that could be gentle or rip your head off.
Heard this on the news today. Memory from younger days of my parents’ stacking turntable. Pile of 45’s on the chrome pole, arm across holding in place and them flipping down one after the other. Melanie was sometimes in amongst that lot along with The Carpenters, The New Seekers, The Hollies and The Osmonds.

Andym

Post by Andym » Sun Feb 04, 2024 2:36 am

Missed the match because my wife arranged a surprise visit to Ronnie Scott’s. Always wanted to go and I was amazed that 13 other friends and family members turned up. A great surprise. Curtis Stigers was performing and was brilliant.
As an aside, it must be 50 years since I saw Ronnie Scott play.

Mauswara

Post by Mauswara » Tue Feb 06, 2024 7:24 am

Andym wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2024 2:36 am
Missed the match because my wife arranged a surprise visit to Ronnie Scott’s. Always wanted to go and I was amazed that 13 other friends and family members turned up. A great surprise. Curtis Stigers was performing and was brilliant.
Nice surprise! Was over 50 years now since my one and only visit, saw Mitch Mitchell, Jack Bruce and Larry Coryell do a set. Well, a bit of a set as we could only afford one lager and lime each. Still remember it though.

Andym

Post by Andym » Tue Feb 06, 2024 7:59 am

Mauswara wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2024 7:24 am
Andym wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2024 2:36 am
Nice surprise! Was over 50 years now since my one and only visit, saw Mitch Mitchell, Jack Bruce and Larry Coryell do a set. Well, a bit of a set as we could only afford one lager and lime each. Still remember it though.
That sounds like a great gig.

Just for a complete change I’ve been playing Grace Slick & Paul Kantner’s “Sunfighter”. Still love it after 50 years.

Mauswara

Post by Mauswara » Wed Feb 21, 2024 7:26 am

number 9

Post by number 9 » Wed Feb 21, 2024 10:46 pm

The Moon and Antartica, Modest Mouse. Maybe not up Andym’s alley…there’s probably very few vinyl albums…but good, progressive music nonetheless. Hey andym, did you just ignore modern music? Or are you too old to shake your hips?

Andym

Post by Andym » Thu Feb 22, 2024 3:13 am

number 9 wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2024 10:46 pm
The Moon and Antartica, Modest Mouse. Maybe not up Andym’s alley…there’s probably very few vinyl albums…but good, progressive music nonetheless. Hey andym, did you just ignore modern music? Or are you too old to shake your hips?
I’ll give it a listen when I can.
In answer to your questions, I was born too old to move my hips. Never been a dancer. I remember seeing the Who I guess about 1970, at Dunstable Civic. No seats, it was a dance venue. Everyone - and I mean everyone - day cross legged on the floor. And I’ve always preferred listening to moving about.
To answer the other question: I guess I ignore it, I just don’t know what to listen to. The days of John Peel’s Radio shows and even the old grey whistle test are long gone; magazines like Melody Maker, NME and the wonderful Zigzag are also dead. What Peel, OGWT and Zigzag had in common was they aimed for a particular audience do you cold pick up on new things. A bit like the Elektra record label in the days of Jac Holzman; if it was on Elektra it would be worth a listen. So I ignore it mostly because I don’t know where to go to find it. And at the ripe old age of 70 I don’t have the time or inclination to sift through 90% of stuff I doing like to find the little bit I do. So I stick to my modest collection (I guess about 1500 vinyl albums and a similar number of CDs). I pick up old stuff released on CD or second hand vinyl/CDs. If I buy any new releases they tend to be more folky stuff these days or maybe blues. I like people who can play well.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Thu Feb 22, 2024 11:33 am

Andym wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2024 3:13 am
number 9 wrote:
I’ll give it a listen when I can.
In answer to your questions, I was born too old to move my hips. Never been a dancer. I remember seeing the Who I guess about 1970, at Dunstable Civic. No seats, it was a dance venue. Everyone - and I mean everyone - day cross legged on the floor. And I’ve always preferred listening to moving about.
To answer the other question: I guess I ignore it, I just don’t know what to listen to. The days of John Peel’s Radio shows and even the old grey whistle test are long gone; magazines like Melody Maker, NME and the wonderful Zigzag are also dead. What Peel, OGWT and Zigzag had in common was they aimed for a particular audience do you cold pick up on new things. A bit like the Elektra record label in the days of Jac Holzman; if it was on Elektra it would be worth a listen. So I ignore it mostly because I don’t know where to go to find it. And at the ripe old age of 70 I don’t have the time or inclination to sift through 90% of stuff I doing like to find the little bit I do. So I stick to my modest collection (I guess about 1500 vinyl albums and a similar number of CDs). I pick up old stuff released on CD or second hand vinyl/CDs. If I buy any new releases they tend to be more folky stuff these days or maybe blues. I like people who can play well.
I used to watch the Old Grey Whistle Test and read Melody Maker and NME regularly when I lived in the UK. Wow, The Who in 1970 must have been amazing!

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Thu Feb 22, 2024 12:34 pm

Watching The Who while cross legged on the floor would be a new concept today. :shock:

Mauswara

Post by Mauswara » Thu Feb 22, 2024 4:51 pm

marko69 wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2024 12:34 pm
Watching The Who while cross legged on the floor would be a new concept today. :shock:
Also remember seeing The Who whilst sat on my derrière, was at The Oval cricket ground, a one-day concert at which they were top of the bill. It also featured Emerson, Lake & Palmer and America, can't remember who else. Don't much like The Who or ELP and had never heard of America so not sure what I was doing there.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Thu Feb 22, 2024 11:52 pm

Remember sitting down cross legged at the Texas Jam in the early 80s at the now defunct Astrodome in Houston. I think the headliners were REO Speedwagon, Foghat and Billy Squier. We had a bag of weed, and my sister still laughs today cuz I was a zombie. Needless to say, I don’t remember much about that concert. :lol:

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Fri Feb 23, 2024 12:19 am

number 9 wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2024 11:52 pm
Remember sitting down cross legged at the Texas Jam in the early 80s at the now defunct Astrodome in Houston. I think the headliners were REO Speedwagon, Foghat and Billy Squier. We had a bag of weed, and my sister still laughs today cuz I was a zombie. Needless to say, I don’t remember much about that concert. :lol:

Oh wow, REO Speedwagon! Blast from the past. Not heard about them for years. They were pretty good from memory.
Won’t ask about the gig, 9, but will guess you had a better day than everyone in that dome! :lol:

Andym

Post by Andym » Fri Feb 23, 2024 8:16 am

number 9 wrote:
Gave that a listen finally, enjoyed it. They are a name I was aware of but knew/know nothing about them. Quite varied, will dig out more.

Mauswara

Post by Mauswara » Fri Feb 23, 2024 9:28 am

Andym wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2024 8:16 am
number 9 wrote:
Gave that a listen finally, enjoyed it. They are a name I was aware of but knew/know nothing about them. Quite varied, will dig out more.
I remember Float On, that's all.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Feb 24, 2024 12:02 am

Was out to a buddys house tonight down the coast in Coldstream, about 60 miles drive from the house. Downloaded me some REO Speedwagon “Hi Infidelity” 30th anniversary edition album with added “live” tracks from itunes, ……., absolutely great stuff. What a trip back to the 80s that was. 👍👌
Cheers , 9 🍻

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sat Feb 24, 2024 12:31 am

marko69 wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2024 12:02 am
Was out to a buddys house tonight down the coast in Coldstream, about 60 miles drive from the house. Downloaded me some REO Speedwagon “Hi Infidelity” 30th anniversary edition album with added “live” tracks from itunes, ……., absolutely great stuff. What a trip back to the 80s that was. 👍👌
Cheers , 9 🍻
Brilliant! “Heard it from a friend who…heard it from a friend who…heard it from another you been messin around”

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sun Feb 25, 2024 12:12 am

Andym wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2024 8:16 am
number 9 wrote:
Glad you liked it! I’m going back to my roots tonight. Pink Floyd, Wish You Were Here.