Does anyone play for a football team?

A place to chat about anything thats not football related. Most of the threads in here are completely pointless which is why people keep coming back and back. As the forum title suggests, feel free to make any post you want on any subject you wish. It also has Adult jokes (so be warned) which is the other reason people keep coming back.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

DeIpswich

Does anyone play for a football team?

Post by DeIpswich » Mon Feb 23, 2004 6:30 pm

Just out of interest i was wondering if anyone on here plays for a footie team, i.e. school team, uni team, sunday league team or whatever.
thanks

diedelia
Location: A pathetic little town called Halstead! We have a somerfields woooooooo which i now work in lol

Re: Does anyone play for a football team?

Post by diedelia » Mon Feb 23, 2004 6:47 pm

DeIpswich wrote:Just out of interest i was wondering if anyone on here plays for a footie team, i.e. school team, uni team, sunday league team or whatever.
thanks
Did play aged 9 till 13 but gave up as i hated being put in midfield as i was "Lazy striker" but who cares if ya lasy if ya get 2 top goal scorer awards but hey!

I did for Halstead youths! there well good now in A league when i was there we were in C league

DeIpswich

Post by DeIpswich » Mon Feb 23, 2004 6:50 pm

tut tut. i hate lazy strikers lol. but ur right about playing in midfield. It SERIOUSLY knackers you out. I play centre midfield for my Uni team and I have to run from box-to-box all game.

Qbert72

Post by Qbert72 » Mon Feb 23, 2004 7:03 pm

I'll stick to managing my various fantasy teams, that way I can still hold my pint.
I'm puffing already just thinking about running onto the pitch.

diedelia
Location: A pathetic little town called Halstead! We have a somerfields woooooooo which i now work in lol

Post by diedelia » Mon Feb 23, 2004 7:09 pm

DeIpswich wrote:tut tut. i hate lazy strikers lol. but ur right about playing in midfield. It SERIOUSLY knackers you out. I play centre midfield for my Uni team and I have to run from box-to-box all game.
I know couldnt be doing with it, so i got slung on the left wing, and as i dont have a left foot, i only have on leg :roll: :lol: nah wild swings with my left foot for poor attempted crosses nar! i used to cut in but i didnt like it so i senstionally quit and sold my story for millions of pounds in the local paper :roll:

The Gaffer

Post by The Gaffer » Mon Feb 23, 2004 7:20 pm

yep i do play for wilvale rangers u16, having a gd season this year. looking good for a title challange and cup.

Vaughan8

Post by Vaughan8 » Mon Feb 23, 2004 7:22 pm

play 4 baldock town u18s!

toby

Post by toby » Mon Feb 23, 2004 7:48 pm

I used to play for the Old Parkonians in the Southern Amateur League (which I think is the oldest continous league in World!), a league in which Ipswich Town played before they became professional!

I used to be a deadly striker with a venomous left foot (and a totally crap right one)!

In my best season I scored 17 goals in 22 games (although I used to score in fits and starts, I got 3 hat-tricks that season!).

Unfortunately I had to give up playing when I first tore the anterior cruciate ligament in my left knee and then after a very brief comeback, tore my cartilage in the same knee!

Whenever I see a game of football, be it at PR or just some kids playing in the park I always want to join in and start playing again!

Frankie

Post by Frankie » Mon Feb 23, 2004 8:19 pm

i used to play in the schools girls team (as captain n central midfieldr) but had to give it up as i have a dodgy knee

Riviera

Post by Riviera » Mon Feb 23, 2004 8:46 pm

used to play for the Old Parkonians in the Southern Amateur League (which I think is the oldest continous league in World!), a league in which Ipswich Town played before they became professional!

I used to be a deadly striker with a venomous left foot (and a totally crap right one)!

In my best season I scored 17 goals in 22 games (although I used to score in fits and starts, I got 3 hat-tricks that season!).

Unfortunately I had to give up playing when I first tore the anterior cruciate ligament in my left knee and then after a very brief comeback, tore my cartilage in the same knee!

Whenever I see a game of football, be it at PR or just some kids playing in the park I always want to join in and start playing again!

im with u toby, i used to play, 1st for the school team then later in life for my local pub on sunday mornings, but had to give it all up 3 years ago after having numerous operations on my ankles and knee, started playing in goal, i thought i was quite good but thats juts my opinion lol

best moment was getting to a sunday league cup final, the match was at Plainmoor home of torquay united, most amazing feeling playing on a league ground
later moved to centre forward and although playing in a very poor team i still managed to score 15 goals in my 1st season, then had the ops and it all finished, and like u toby, just watching the kids playing in the street or in the park makes me wanna get up and start playing again

never mind, life goes on as they say...............................

toby

Post by toby » Mon Feb 23, 2004 8:53 pm

So how many old crocks and "dodgy knees" have we got on the forum?

Lol!

DeIpswich

Post by DeIpswich » Mon Feb 23, 2004 9:02 pm

I've been lucky and neva had a serious injury....yet. I did have trials for Suffolk, but I didnt get picked for the 1st team :(

Just goes to show doesnt it. Some people (myself included) enjoy playing football so much, that we still excited at the thought of playing football and get a tingle down our spines when we step out onto a football pitch. Its a pity not all professional footballers feel the same way.

Riviera

Post by Riviera » Mon Feb 23, 2004 9:05 pm

i can think of only one professional footballer who looked like he wanted to play just for the fun of it and thats ZOLA

apart from arnold murhen hes the best import into this country

wicked blue

Post by wicked blue » Mon Feb 23, 2004 9:52 pm

and nobby solano, hes a credit to his country, a real gentleman like zola

alexvilagosh

Post by alexvilagosh » Tue Feb 24, 2004 1:59 am

I play for the school team in the winter (not at the moment). I played striker last year and scored 5 from 6 games.

Jack

Post by Jack » Tue Feb 24, 2004 2:52 am

I played for a local team for the last two season, but they went bust at the start of this season and a few of us moved to another team. As it's an older age-group hardly any of us got into the team. I'm still signed on but haven't been to training since October :roll:

Braintree Blue

Post by Braintree Blue » Tue Feb 24, 2004 11:35 am

I play regually for two teams at the moment and every now and then for 2 others.

On Monday nights I play in goal for a six-a-side team in the Football Mundial league at Tabor Leisure Centre, we won 9-0 last night.
On Sundays I play up front for "The King William" in Bocking in the Braintree Sunday League.

Sundays is a tempory thing just to get back to full fitness, as next year I will be running my own team, AFC Braintree, on a Saturday afternoon in the Mid-Essex league.

Luke

Post by Luke » Wed Feb 25, 2004 6:58 pm

I play on a Saterday for Stonham Aspal B team my first season in mens footie owch :lol: only played 8 games this season and all ready got 2 bookings and started a fight nothin 2 be proud of but if they like it rougth :lol: :lol: :lol: