caffeine dependency

A place to chat about anything thats not football related. Most of the threads in here are completely pointless which is why people keep coming back and back. As the forum title suggests, feel free to make any post you want on any subject you wish. It also has Adult jokes (so be warned) which is the other reason people keep coming back.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Phil

caffeine dependency

Post by Phil » Sun Nov 16, 2008 9:50 pm

its a bit of a rubbish thing to be addicted to, but I'm very dependent on caffeine and have decided that after staying awake til 7am this morning with rather scary heart motions as a result of around 3 litres of redbull in 12 hours that I had better cut it out. but, do I go cold turkey and just be very tired and grumpy for the next few weeks or do i ween myself off it over a period of time?

itfc_01

Post by itfc_01 » Sun Nov 16, 2008 10:04 pm

ween your self off it cos the sudden change to your body could really fook you up

Phil

Post by Phil » Sun Nov 16, 2008 10:05 pm

itfc_01 wrote:ween your self off it cos the sudden change to your body could really fook you up
cheers, I'll start with half dosage tomorrow and see how I get on. i think my body is really fooked up already!

tractorollson

Post by tractorollson » Sun Nov 16, 2008 10:08 pm

Phil wrote:
itfc_01 wrote:ween your self off it cos the sudden change to your body could really fook you up
cheers, I'll start with half dosage tomorrow and see how I get on. i think my body is really fooked up already!
try decaff tea too, it tastes the same but not as addictive.

helen83

Post by helen83 » Sun Nov 16, 2008 11:20 pm

I get bad headaches if I forget to drink tea at the weekend, so best not to cut it out completely.

astrocomet
Location: The ice world of Hoth (Astrothermic) Jupiter Moons (Methathermic) and Kessingland Lowestoft, Suffolk

Post by astrocomet » Wed Nov 19, 2008 2:31 am

Yeah-Caffiene kills more people than Alcohol-but if you smoke as well you will probably go out happy and content and die laughing.....

ATB

Post by ATB » Wed Nov 19, 2008 5:23 am

astrocomet wrote:Yeah-Caffiene kills more people than Alcohol-but if you smoke as well you will probably go out happy and content and die laughing.....
Pulled right out of the "information" source that is Astros as*... :shock:

astrocomet
Location: The ice world of Hoth (Astrothermic) Jupiter Moons (Methathermic) and Kessingland Lowestoft, Suffolk

Post by astrocomet » Wed Nov 19, 2008 12:08 pm

ATB wrote:
astrocomet wrote:Yeah-Caffiene kills more people than Alcohol-but if you smoke as well you will probably go out happy and content and die laughing.....
Well wouldn't you prefer to go out happy, content and laughing better than yellin' and screamin'...... :roll:

ATB

Post by ATB » Wed Nov 19, 2008 12:31 pm

astrocomet wrote:
ATB wrote:
Well wouldn't you prefer to go out happy, content and laughing better than yellin' and screamin'...... :roll:
sure.. but that doesn't mean caffeine kills more people than alcohol

astrocomet

Post by astrocomet » Wed Nov 19, 2008 12:39 pm

ATB wrote:
astrocomet wrote:
ATB wrote: Pulled right out of the "information" source that is Astros as*... :shock:
sure.. but that doesn't mean caffeine kills more people than alcohol
They both kill.

Its a vice I suppose-everyone has a vice even if its a chocolate fix or big fill up that piles on the weight and put pressure on the dicky ticker....

penlost

Post by penlost » Wed Nov 19, 2008 2:20 pm

Does caffeine really kill? :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

I drink way to much coffee then :shock: :lol:

Susie

Post by Susie » Wed Nov 19, 2008 3:10 pm

penlost wrote:Does caffeine really kill? :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

I do too Plotlost and I'm still alive to tell the tale ( I think!!. :wink: ).

Must admit I can't function until I have my first coffee of the day. Drinking one at the moment. :lol:

Slam

Re: caffeine dependency

Post by Slam » Wed Nov 19, 2008 4:13 pm

Phil wrote:...around 3 litres of redbull in 12 hours ...
Blimey, that's 12 cans. :shock:

FoysterITFC

Post by FoysterITFC » Wed Nov 19, 2008 5:08 pm

I used to drink Red Bull cans all the time, everyday.. not as much as you Phil but a fair few cans.

After a while though, my body really wasn't having none of it anymore, headaches, stomach trouble and so on..

I've cut down a fair bit now but not fully.

Professor Frink

Post by Professor Frink » Wed Nov 19, 2008 5:19 pm

FoysterITFC wrote:I used to drink Red Bull cans all the time, everyday.. not as much as you Phil but a fair few cans.

After a while though, my body really wasn't having none of it anymore, headaches, stomach trouble and so on..

Wait till you get old enough to try that beer, that'll give you a headache too :wink: :lol:

astrocomet

Post by astrocomet » Wed Nov 19, 2008 6:51 pm

I don't think its the Caffiene that kills-its the lack of sleep and rest that it induces that cause people to either collapse of exhaustion or flake away-either way its how much caffiene that the person(s) ingest that may cause this-funny ol' times were all living in I reckon.... :roll:

helen83

Post by helen83 » Wed Nov 19, 2008 6:58 pm

Doesn't caffeine cause you to produce more adrenaline - so it is like living in a permanent state of stress - can't be good for the body or mind over a period of time.

This may not be the case but it is what I have always believed to be true.

Earl Blue

Post by Earl Blue » Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:13 pm

Susie wrote:
penlost wrote:Does caffeine really kill? :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

I do too Plotlost and I'm still alive to tell the tale ( I think!!. :wink: ).

Must admit I can't function until I have my first coffee of the day. Drinking one at the moment. :lol:

Was it your first of the day Susie, or did you just get up late..

:wink:

FoysterITFC

Post by FoysterITFC » Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:27 pm

Professor Frink wrote:
FoysterITFC wrote:I used to drink Red Bull cans all the time, everyday.. not as much as you Phil but a fair few cans.

Wait till you get old enough to try that beer, that'll give you a headache too :wink: :lol:
I've experienced the "headache" on many occasions! It feels more like your head is splitting into two, rather than just having a mild pain to put up with!

Phil

Post by Phil » Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:44 pm

last 3 days I've cut myself down to 2 servings of caffiene and cut off redbull completely. I've been tired and pretty horrid also suffered from headaches. but in the long run its for the best.

astrocomet

Post by astrocomet » Wed Nov 19, 2008 8:07 pm

Because of Government interference they've changed Coffee mate now and turned it all to s**t so I've just had a nice creamy coffee made with double Elmlea as an after tea treat as well as some after eight mints and I'm now off down the pub to watch the England game-watch out for the Germans.... :roll:

-Mikey-

Post by -Mikey- » Wed Nov 19, 2008 8:39 pm

Phil wrote:last 3 days I've cut myself down to 2 servings of caffiene and cut off redbull completely. I've been tired and pretty horrid also suffered from headaches. but in the long run its for the best.
Well done!
If you carry on drinking so much Red Bull you'l get diabetes really soon.
Its not just the caffeine in the red bull taht is bad for you though, as the sugar will erode your teeth, and in the short term they will feel very sensitive.
I was drinking a can of relentless which isn't as strong as Red Bull and my coach pulled it out of my hand and told me never to drink it again, and as he has a Sports Science background i'd imagine he knows a bit about the harm it causes!

itfc_01

Post by itfc_01 » Wed Nov 19, 2008 10:08 pm

-Mikey- wrote:
Phil wrote:last 3 days I've cut myself down to 2 servings of caffiene and cut off redbull completely. I've been tired and pretty horrid also suffered from headaches. but in the long run its for the best.
Well done!
Its not just the caffeine in the red bull taht is bad for you though, as the sugar will erode your teeth, and in the short term they will feel very sensitive.
I was drinking a can of relentless which isn't as strong as Red Bull and my coach pulled it out of my hand and told me never to drink it again, and as he has a Sports Science background i'd imagine he knows a bit about the harm it causes!

same as the powerade drinks - they shouldnt be drunk by players under 15 - can mess them up apparently

MMJR67

Post by MMJR67 » Thu Nov 20, 2008 9:28 am

itfc_01 wrote:
-Mikey- wrote:
Well done!

same as the powerade drinks - they shouldnt be drunk by players under 15 - can mess them up apparently
absolute horsesh*t ,what will you come up with next. :lol: :lol: :lol:

astrocomet

Post by astrocomet » Thu Nov 20, 2008 9:36 am

MMJR67 wrote:
itfc_01 wrote:
-Mikey- wrote: Well done!

The amount of Chemicals and other c**p in them cans of energy drink you'd think ICI has a hand in there manufacture...... :roll:

McDonna29
Site Administrator

Post by McDonna29 » Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:31 am

-Mikey- wrote: I was drinking a can of relentless which isn't as strong as Red Bull and my coach pulled it out of my hand and told me never to drink it again, and as he has a Sports Science background i'd imagine he knows a bit about the harm it causes!
The active ingredients (as far as giving you energy and waking you up), Taurine, Glucuronolactone and Caffeine, are present in the same percentages in both drinks, except with Relentless, the can is twice the size, so you're drinking twice as much!

helen83

Post by helen83 » Thu Nov 20, 2008 11:09 am

Think I will stick with Ribena :roll:

Slam

Post by Slam » Thu Nov 20, 2008 11:26 am

Well I think I'm gonna stick to milk. It's what Ian Rush drinks. And he said if I didn't drink lots of milk, when I grow up, I'll only be good enough to play for Accrington Stanley.

itfc_01

Post by itfc_01 » Thu Nov 20, 2008 11:47 am

MMJR67 wrote:
itfc_01 wrote:
-Mikey- wrote: Well done!

is in my football coaching magazine my sweet

McDonna29
Site Administrator

Post by McDonna29 » Thu Nov 20, 2008 12:05 pm

itfc_01 wrote:is in my football coaching magazine my sweet
What's their reasoning / evidence behind the statement?