John Lennon

A place to chat about anything thats not football related. Most of the threads in here are completely pointless which is why people keep coming back and back. As the forum title suggests, feel free to make any post you want on any subject you wish. It also has Adult jokes (so be warned) which is the other reason people keep coming back.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Riviera

John Lennon

Post by Riviera » Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:07 pm

Lennon died today 30 years ago, i was only 10 at the time but was talking to the missus earlier and i can remember exactly what i was doing when i heard the news...i was in the play ground at school i can even name the mate i was talking to, i remember getting home and it was if a family member had passed away....

I guess Andym has a memory of this date as it was his birthday, but do any of the rest of you remember what you were doing?......

Herbivore

Re: John Lennon

Post by Herbivore » Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:14 pm

I was surrounded by amniotic fluid.

Andym

Post by Andym » Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:31 pm

It's strange that I can't remember what I was doing. I'm trying to think back but I think by the time we heard it was the 9th - he was shot in the evening and there's a significant time difference.

It (8th December) was also Jim Morrison's birthday; he'd have been 67 today....

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:42 pm

where was I back then and do I remember what I was doing, not on the actual day no, sometimes I get up and don't know what underwear to put on never mind what went on 30 years ago.

Lennon's killer Mark Chapman is still incarcerated at Attica Jail in New York state after countless parole applications.

earlier that night, before the incident oustide the Dakota building, Chapman had acquired Lennons autograph.

he was later charged with second degree murder, Chapmans Attorney initially entering a plea of not guilty due to reasons of insanity, when asked did he know what he had done after the shooting, "I just killed John Lennon"

only McCartney and Starr remain now.

helen83

Post by helen83 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:21 pm

I do remember exactly where I was at school when I heard the news. I don't think I really knew who he was, or thought much of him back then. But it stuck in my memory I think because of how shocked other people were.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:51 pm

I remember exactly what happened that day......, I was at a school called Herne Hill primary school in Geelong, Vic, Oz....., teacher Miss Thom wasn't too happy, but we ignored it as we didn't know what was wrong.... ..... then I went home and my mum was lying on the couch crying her eyes out. This was a regular occurance as my mum really suffered bad from homesickness, but this day she was different. The crying was worse. She sobbed to me that John Lennon had been shot dead. Shocking as that was I said, "oh right, who's he?" I was an ignorant shyte back then too.

For the record I remember the day Elvis died too, there was a tropical thunder storm happening outside when it came on TV. I knew who Elvis was though!!

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:10 pm

well that was that, 30 years on, and Lennon remembered, albeit for a short time.

people react in different ways to such dates in history, It wasn't really a big deal for me, bit selfish there as I'm sure Ono, surving Beatles personnel and fans around the world saw it as such a big occasion.

incidentally, today (15 December), marks the passing of one Walt Disney back in '66.

also Fats Waller the musician and Indian head chief Sitting Bull.

a minutes silence.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Tue Dec 08, 2015 9:57 pm

Today marks 35 years since Lennon's murder.

In short (and as we're aware) Mr Lennon was shot outside the Dakota Building, New York, on the night of December 8, 1980 by lone gunman Mark Chapman. Seriously injured, Lennon was taken to the nearest emergency center but was declared deceased on arrival.

Chapman to this day remains incarcerated at a New York State prison despite numerous (unsuccessful) pleas for conditions of parole.

RIP

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Mon Dec 21, 2015 12:59 pm

I was in the car on my way to work listening to the radio (before the days of breakfast TV) and was stunned by the news having been a great fan of Beatles through the 60's. Of course by the time I got to work everyone was in a state of shock, not only by his death but the fact he was assassinated, why would anybody want to kill John Lennon.

He was shot late at night on his way home to his flat opposite Central Park and declared dead at 11pm New York time, 4am GMT.

Nb: The car was a Ford Cortina "S" Reg... My fist car with a Cassette player and my first cassette in the car was The Beatles Greatest Hits (double cassette)... Following his death I played this over and over again until I knew the words of nearly every track.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Mon Dec 21, 2015 3:32 pm

Charnwood wrote:I was in the car on my way to work listening to the radio (before the days of breakfast TV) and was stunned by the news having been a great fan of Beatles through the 60's. Of course by the time I got to work everyone was in a state of shock, not only by his death but the fact he was assassinated, why would anybody want to kill John Lennon.

He was shot late at night on his way home to his flat opposite Central Park and declared dead at 11pm New York time, 4am GMT.

Nb: The car was a Ford Cortina "S" Reg... My fist car with a Cassette player and my first cassette in the car was The Beatles Greatest Hits (double cassette)... Following his death I played this over and over again until I knew the words of nearly every track.
To be a somebody

Some make their names from becoming accomplished authors, stage names, universally accepted aid workers etc, while for others, all it takes is one moment of nefarious actions in order to be forever recognized.