Phillip Hughes - R.I.P

A place to chat about anything thats not football related. Most of the threads in here are completely pointless which is why people keep coming back and back. As the forum title suggests, feel free to make any post you want on any subject you wish. It also has Adult jokes (so be warned) which is the other reason people keep coming back.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

vaalae

Phillip Hughes - R.I.P

Post by vaalae » Sun Nov 30, 2014 10:06 am

Unspeakably sad to lose a young athlete in these circumstances. Still just seems unreal. People just don't die playing cricket, and when they do (incredibly rare) it's in some obscure first class or club game, and it's an unknown player, not wearing safety gear. For a full international, in full gear, to be struck down and not have a show of surviving it is just scary.

He was a thrilling player to watch, fearless in his approach and a real entertainer, he would always have been a 'young' given how he played - now he is frozen in time. The game is so much much poorer for this loss.

Before day 2 of the NZ v Pakistan test (when play finally got under-way, on day 3) a number of our players were visibly distraught, this was someone they knew well, and had played with and against. Apparently a wonderful, uncomplicated country boy, and the fact that he was struck down by one of his close friends (Sean Abbott played with him in youth leagues for New South Wales, and they came through the ranks together) makes it doubly awful.

Can only imagine what his family, friends and Australian cricket are going through.From a sports standpoint it feels like the awful aftermath of the Boxing Day Tsunami when many of the cricketing family were suffering (India, Sri Lanka, Bangladesh) Thoughts with all in Australian Cricket :(

goldandblack

Re: Phillip Hughes - R.I.P

Post by goldandblack » Sun Nov 30, 2014 2:02 pm

vaalae wrote:Unspeakably sad to lose a young athlete in these circumstances. Still just seems unreal. People just don't die playing cricket, and when they do (incredibly rare) it's in some obscure first class or club game, and it's an unknown player, not wearing safety gear. For a full international, in full gear, to be struck down and not have a show of surviving it is just scary.

He was a thrilling player to watch, fearless in his approach and a real entertainer, he would always have been a 'young' given how he played - now he is frozen in time. The game is so much much poorer for this loss.

Before day 2 of the NZ v Pakistan test (when play finally got under-way, on day 3) a number of our players were visibly distraught, this was someone they knew well, and had played with and against. Apparently a wonderful, uncomplicated country boy, and the fact that he was struck down by one of his close friends (Sean Abbott played with him in youth leagues for New South Wales, and they came through the ranks together) makes it doubly awful.

Can only imagine what his family, friends and Australian cricket are going through.From a sports standpoint it feels like the awful aftermath of the Boxing Day Tsunami when many of the cricketing family were suffering (India, Sri Lanka, Bangladesh) Thoughts with all in Australian Cricket :(
nice one vaalae and echo my sentiments. RIP Phillip Hughes,
As someone said over the weekend, Oz is the other side of the world and bitter rivals in sport, they are our brothers and e share there grief.

my recent posts on ex wolves legends sad losses, at least they all reached good ages and lived a Whole life,

marko69
Global Moderator

Re: Phillip Hughes - R.I.P

Post by marko69 » Sun Nov 30, 2014 2:11 pm

I still can't get my head around this. It's just the most insane occurrence in sport ever. My thoughts and prayers go out to both his family & friends, and also Sean Abbott, who I am hoping is getting all the support he needs because it was not his fault.

I googled Phil Hughes, and what made it a bit sadder for me is that he looked very much like my youngest son. Just can't comprehend losing a child.

RIP Phil, never ever forgotten.