More disappointment from EON

A place to chat about anything thats not football related. Most of the threads in here are completely pointless which is why people keep coming back and back. As the forum title suggests, feel free to make any post you want on any subject you wish. It also has Adult jokes (so be warned) which is the other reason people keep coming back.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

number 9

Re: More disappointment from EON

Post by number 9 » Mon Oct 12, 2015 3:43 pm

Live and Let Die has always been a sort of theme song for that milestone in my life. The film was also Roger Moore's first appointment as James Bond back in 1973. Jane Seymour was also nice to look at. I was only 7yrs old for the initial release, but I really started getting in to Bond a few years later. Of course, the mid 70's thru mid 80's were my quickening years...so the song will always be remembered for that period in my life. It's funny, I really didn't know how much fun I was having back then, especially when compared to the stress of life's obstacles as I've aged.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Mon Oct 12, 2015 11:17 pm

number 9 wrote:Live and Let Die has always been a sort of theme song for that milestone in my life. The film was also Roger Moore's first appointment as James Bond back in 1973. Jane Seymour was also nice to look at. I was only 7yrs old for the initial release, but I really started getting in to Bond a few years later. Of course, the mid 70's thru mid 80's were my quickening years...so the song will always be remembered for that period in my life. It's funny, I really didn't know how much fun I was having back then, especially when compared to the stress of life's obstacles as I've aged.
Seymour was around 20, 21 at time of filming but it worked Ok for her role as the main love interest. The Gloria Hendry character (Rosie Carver) was never really utilized and always seemed out of sorts, if only to offer one or two humorous moments. The 'death by scarecrows' sequence still provides a certain level of fright and uneasiness even today.

The title in question offers one of the best quotes in the series also : "You should never go in there without a mongoose"

Moore wasn't my favorite Bond by any distance - in actual fact he very nearly dead and buried the damn franchise towards the end - but would have been suited to take over from Connery in say '67, but was tied up with his obligation to The Saint TV show. That way he could have retired a lot sooner and let Dalton (or Lewis Collins) take over the responsibilities, but by a certain stage, the damage had been done.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Thu Oct 22, 2015 9:40 pm

There was a conspiracy of sorts over at the Mi6 forum recently that aroused some considerable debate. Yes it's garbage, but once people get an idea into their heads, it doesn't take long for further believers to follow the same route.

http://www.mi6community.com/index.php?p ... -to-a-code

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Thu Oct 22, 2015 11:31 pm

saint jude wrote:There was a conspiracy of sorts over at the Mi6 forum recently that aroused some considerable debate. Yes it's garbage, but once people get an idea into their heads, it doesn't take long for further believers to follow the same route.
http://www.mi6community.com/index.php?p ... -to-a-code
There weren't many believers there, Saint! :lol:

Don't think I have read as much sh*te in my life. These f**king illuminati believers need to get the fk off benefits, go get jobs and stop wasting the tax payers money. I'd like to round all the cAnts up and put them on a remote island somewhere......, "Make up all the shyte you want now, arseholes. No one can hear you!"

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Fri Oct 23, 2015 4:37 pm

How can blocked users have the ability to read my posts ? Furthermore this is the miscellaneous area where it's required to log-in in order to read anything in this section (unlike the general soccer index)

Are people able to see hidden posts without the authors consent ? Guess not all up on tech aspects but this did provide a certain degree of mystery. Need to think things over a little but will get back to this in due time.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Fri Oct 23, 2015 5:24 pm

You got me blocked, Saint? How the f*ck can you join in on quizzes if you've got people with the questions blocked?

It explains a lot though mate. Block the people trying to have a laugh? No wonder you suffer from serious depression and can't seem to get out of it. And for the record, there is f*ck all you can tell me about depression....., suffered serious depression back in the 90's but hauled myself back with loads of effort. Told you before in other threads, you need to lighten up, and stop letting the world know who your blocking. Go read some self help books.

Needless to say, this'll get wiped and you'll carry on. Unfuckingbelievable.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:47 am

I've never been able to understand depression especially when it involves someone who has everything to live for in their life eg. loving family with no issues, no marital problems, no financial problems, no other illness, no close relatives with problems, lots of friends...... to me it doesn't make sense.

The wife of one of my close friends, who fitted the above description sadly committed suicide five years ago this week after a long struggle with depression. To this day I still don't understand it.

Divorce yes, Terminal illness- self family or close friend yes, Serious financial difficulties yes, Family War - perhaps, Bullying - maybe, Drug addiction - maybe......

But when you have non of these and life looks good, how does it happen ?

number 9

Post by number 9 » Mon Oct 26, 2015 3:17 pm

So what you're saying then is if you do have adversity in life, it's okay to commit suicide? Come on Charny, you're being a bit naive here. Everyone's different, and in most cases depression is genetic or biological; it may have nothing to do with relationships. I've experienced many of those experiences that you have listed, but I manage to keep my head above the water. Others in my family have struggled. I've just accepted that life can really suck sometimes, but I also aknowledge that others have it a lot worse than me.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Tue Oct 27, 2015 9:58 am

number 9 wrote:So what you're saying then is if you do have adversity in life, it's okay to commit suicide? Come on Charny, you're being a bit naive here. Everyone's different, and in most cases depression is genetic or biological; it may have nothing to do with relationships. I've experienced many of those experiences that you have listed, but I manage to keep my head above the water. Others in my family have struggled. I've just accepted that life can really suck sometimes, but I also aknowledge that others have it a lot worse than me.

I guess I've not expressed myself very clearly cos that's not what I meant at all......I expect most people at sometime during their life will have to deal with adversity, it's just part of normal living, some cope with it better than others, you clearly have, as have I, and so do others who may have it worse than both of us added together.

My point was, is that I can understand someone suffering from depression when there is a key driver such as adversity, and I can understand how they can get to a stage where they can't cope anymore.

What I don't understand is (using your terms) genetic and biological depression when someone has no adversity or bad things to deal with and everything in their life is good. I would have thought that when everything is good in someone's life this would override the feeling of depression, and that's the point I was trying to make, albeit not very well.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Oct 27, 2015 7:52 pm

Completely understand what you are saying Charnwood. Myself, my wife and a few others, including a guy (I'll call him, John) from my wife's work, done the Glasgow to Edinburgh cycle back in 07...... Great laugh. On the strength of that, we even had regular meals out as a group. John lived in a very nice area of Edinburgh, married to a lovely Icelandic girl and, at the time, they had a one year old daughter. But John killed himself. Left the house one morning, drove to a wooded area in Livingston, and hanged himself from a tree. The suicide note explained absolutely nothing at all. He just basically said "sorry for this" to his wife. Just couldnt get my head around it at all. Some switch must've just flicked in his head.

A friend of my best man, guitar player in a decent band, stepped out in front of a train in Kirknewton a few years back. It's all actually quite scary if you ask me. I've suffered deep depression, but never did I ever think about ending it all. Never.

"New York Minute" by Don Henley is a song written about this type of thing.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Wed Oct 28, 2015 10:55 pm

Attempted to respond to this earlier but Chrome didn't want to play ball

Tried to put across that until you've actually experienced the stages of suicidal tendencies and / or with a resolute desire to no longer continue living, it's difficult (for many) to comprehend how miserable a situation it is to fall in to - and how tough it can be to find a path out. In the end the one thing that keeps you from giving in is responsibility. - In other words you have a certain obligation to others - that would appear a little selfish if there were to be another loss of life.

Let's not f*ck around out there, life is unfair, it's tough, it's hard, it's easy to lose sense of direction and find a way back, people will succumb to self-harm, it's not a hide-your-head-in-the-sand issue that goes away, but realize that all will experience loss and pain during living years. As someone once said : "how we deal with death is just as important as how we deal with life"

Wish to move on from this morbid tangent of initial subject, to get back to what was original intended, by being aware that this new release came out in (UK) theaters yesterday but won't have the opportunity to view for a good few days yet and from reading some replies from IMDb (Internet Movie Database) doesn't seem all that necessary to waste good money on this latest title. Apparently it's not much improved from Skyfall, has a stupid ending (no change there from previous entries) the score is disappointing and the action isn't up to much. (although Craig is still capable a number of reviewers included)

Those that have been witness to this already can offer own insight but don't concern over spoilers : it would appear there isn't an awful lot that can be spoiled.

The Don
Forum Hall of Famer

Post by The Don » Wed Nov 04, 2015 2:18 pm

So I've finally got around to seeing it and the song actually works. I'm still not a fan, but in the context of what's going on and the opening scrawl, it fits quite well.

With regards to the film itself, I need to watch it again. It was alright, certainly had some questionable moments in it as well as some nice nods to other things. I guess I feel the same way as I did when I saw Skyfall. I need to see it again to fully appreciate it.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Wed Nov 04, 2015 4:06 pm

The Don wrote:So I've finally got around to seeing it and the song actually works. I'm still not a fan, but in the context of what's going on and the opening scrawl, it fits quite well.

With regards to the film itself, I need to watch it again. It was alright, certainly had some questionable moments in it as well as some nice nods to other things. I guess I feel the same way as I did when I saw Skyfall. I need to see it again to fully appreciate it.
We went three successive times to see Skyfall in 2012 only in order to take everything in. Bear in mind this was the first instance of the use of "f*ck" in a 007 release (although it's so inaudible you'd do well to hear it) so for many that warranted an extra viewing, just to be sure they believed what they had heard first time around.

Would do anything to go back three years to that release but no use in wishing for something that can't be done. Still haven't seen this years title but in truth not that eager to even take in this viewing. Will eventually get round to seeing what it's all about (and if the negative reviews are to be justified) but there's no immediate rush. Haven't heard the theme intro, seen the trailer only the once, so going into this just about blind. It's the way many would wish to proceed without fear of spoilers.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Fri Nov 27, 2015 12:53 am

Had it out the way and today (finally) took in a viewing.

What is there to say ? After sitting through 45 minutes of fuckin' commercials and trailers before the damn film even got underway (was at this stage thinking about the possibilities of reimbursement) - the real relevant viewing was about to commence.

First things first - the opening theme intro was sh*t, there's no sense in lying.

Not as bad as Quantum of Solace or Die Another Day (in truth they may never be beaten) - but this Sam Smith kid or whatever his name is, was something of an abomination. Guessing that was the first - and last - time they'll ever give him the honor.

As for the film itself, just what you'd expect from a Craig 007 release : car chase, explosion, car chase, explosion, car chase etc etc etc.

The opening - set during the 'Dia de los Muertos' in Mexico City was decent, but once again, too far-fetched and disbelieving, but it's what you invariably come to expect when Craig steps into the immortal role.

Not saying he's a bad actor, he's arguably the best since Tim Dalton, but survives all manner of feats and situations that comes to point when you have to think you've seen enough. Gets involved with some kid (White's daughter) and begins a love focus that's about as unsavory as Roger Moore and Tanya Roberts in A View to a Kill.

Some bizarre scenes ensued such as the eye-gouging attack and drilling into the head, but nothing overly graphic or to make younger audiences leave the theater.

Take out the aforementioned goddamn commercials, there's some 2 hours 45 minutes of film, that in the end, went on for too long without providing any real satisfactory action or feeling of value for money.

Mendes should get out now. Skyfall was good, but this second effort, is a definite step back.

6 out of 10, nothing more. This was a disappointment for sure

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Nov 28, 2015 3:03 pm

Can I ask Saint, (if you don't mind) ...., you say, car chase, explosion, car chase, explosion........, then further on you say, went on too long without any satisfactory action? What action are you looking for?

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Sat Nov 28, 2015 3:24 pm

Would be hoping for something more substantial than what was presented.

When you go into a Craig Bond release you get a general idea of what to expect before the damn movie's even underway. Take The World is Not Enough as a prime example i.e. so much action to get involved in, doesn't leave the viewer uninterested, much more than said car chases and explosions.

Saying that Brosnan was one of the worst 007's ever but but it's not all about the lead part that makes a film.

I like Craig as Bond, most believable in 25 + years, but as mentioned on a rival page, he's hampered by all other events that take place around him. Purvis and Wade have outstayed their welcome, Mendes made a mistake in coming back, and as for (Barbara) Broccoli, would be too much to ask to hand the rights to someone else, but only a suggestion.

One last thing : The damn gun barrel was at the START of the film - just as it should be. It was perhaps the only thing they got right in this years release.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Sat Dec 26, 2015 5:56 pm

They're a fine musical act but have a hard time seeing them as providers for a James Bond theme.

As before and one last time, the Smith effort was in so many words, sh*t, but it was just another example in recent years of a sub-standard theme intro that they went with. Fair enough there may have been a minority that enjoyed it or found it 'acceptable' but for all others that had the misfortune to sit through it, it was merely another "effort" that will be forever consigned to the garbage container.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sun Dec 27, 2015 12:20 am

saint jude wrote:
They're a fine musical act but have a hard time seeing them as providers for a James Bond theme.

As before and one last time, the Smith effort was in so many words, sh*t, but it was just another example in recent years of a sub-standard theme intro that they went with. Fair enough there may have been a minority that enjoyed it or found it 'acceptable' but for all others that had the misfortune to sit through it, it was merely another "effort" that will be forever consigned to the garbage container.
Yeah the Radiohead attempt didn't really work for me. I still haven't seen Spectre yet...I've heard good and bad though.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Sun Dec 27, 2015 2:31 am

number 9 wrote:
saint jude wrote:

Yeah the Radiohead attempt didn't really work for me. I still haven't seen Spectre yet...I've heard good and bad though.
It's nowhere near as entertaining as Skyfall, but that's just one viewers perspective

It's basically a mash of vehicle chases, fact action fights and location hopping, although Craig (at 47) is still capable.

You'd do well to find it in any theater at this late stage but only saw it the once. That one time was just about sufficient.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Sat Feb 20, 2016 12:09 am

Be aware the (Spectre) DVD release hits British stores on Monday (although has been available to purchase in the United States since February 9)

Adding this to the collection as simply because it's a James Bond release and own all other titles since the franchise began in 1962. Yes it's a poor film overall but so are a number of other entries, maybe we'll give it another watch away from the theater and allow it another chance.

In years past on VHS format you would have a waiting time of some 1 year - 18 months after a cinema viewing to take home a copy so (at least) it's a lot quicker to own now if nothing else.

The Don
Forum Hall of Famer

Post by The Don » Sun Feb 21, 2016 9:27 pm

Well Craig has officially bowed out now SJ so maybe the next instalment will be more to your liking.

Having seen spectre a couple of times, its grown on me now. It's still not in my all time favourites, although the one track opening scene is a personal highlight, I thought it was a sturdy addition

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Mon Feb 22, 2016 3:00 pm

The Don wrote:Well Craig has officially bowed out now SJ so maybe the next instalment will be more to your liking.

Having seen spectre a couple of times, its grown on me now. It's still not in my all time favourites, although the one track opening scene is a personal highlight, I thought it was a sturdy addition
What is this Craig has bowed out, he's still under contract for another film release ?

Checked with the Mi6 website (a leading authority on all James Bond related news) and says Craig is still employed in the role and that no decision has been made either with Eon productions or Craig himself as to where his future lies.

Furthermore never suggested that Craig was a poor Bond, he's the best for some 30 years, but it's the material he has been put to work with that has let him down. Going to be a sad day for many when he leaves the iconic part - he has indeed done well - but one of the greatest fears would be who comes in to replace him.

This is not about being racist, but once again, there has been a lot of talk and rumors that a black actor could take up the role when Craig departs. I could just about tolerate changing long standing characters such as Moneypenny and Leiter regards skin color, but when you get to the most pivotal part of all - James Bond himself - then questions have to be asked.

Do hope Craig decides to stay on for another film release. Whether the following actor is black, white, green or red - they'll have a big task trying to duplicate the success that Craig has brought to the role and his similarities to Fleming's original character.

https://www.mi6-hq.com/sections/article ... =&id=04055

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Thu May 19, 2016 11:17 pm

Tried accessing the above link but encountered some technical difficulties. Last I got was a whole lot of goddamn advertisements flashing away, that greatly restricted viewing any relevant information presented.

This Hiddlestone kid they have in mind, it's a name you can bearly recognize. Haven't seen any of his work and can't believe the producers would proceed with someone who I could classify as so obscure, I wouldn't even have him as a contender, let alone a 'favorite' to replace Craig if reading correct.

Apparently he was seen with some influential figures within the franchise at a recent event, so therefore a news publication takes it upon themselves to print all manner of rumor and conjecture.

Craig is contracted to another release that won't be for another two years at least, and while we don't expect to see him further his Bond tenure at time of next title, nothing has been finalized, and would seem yet enough example of people getting ahead of themselves or jumping to false conclusion.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Thu Oct 14, 2021 3:28 pm

Going in a few hours to take in Craig's last Bond title No Time to Die. Years back would have been first through the doors to get the chance but don't have the same inclination as previous years. Just got to view it while still on at theaters, if miss the opportunity won't be pleased with oneself.

Have read some bizarre reaction on various sites, always careful to avoid spoilers and they've given really nothing away but one or two posts seemed to suggest a path never taken before in the franchise. At something near 3 hours long it'll be a bit of a haul but guess they wanted something extravagant for Craig's last outing.

Can only hope the theme music is far better than the sh*t they supplied last time, don't even know who did it this year but once you get past that the real action can get underway. Just got to get off your as* and get out there and see it, haven't missed a Bond release in so many years you wouldn't believe, not about to let this one pass by. Will be a shame to see Craig step down from the part, he's done very well but kind of wary as to who or what they're going to replace for the iconic role.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Fri Oct 15, 2021 10:18 am

Can’t comment on Bond movie as not viewed yet, but nice thread find, Saint. Reading The Don’s thoughts again etc. Seems quite apt tying the title “No Time to Die” in with Rob.

And also now thinking back to the guy my wife and I knew who topped himself.
(RIP to both)

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Fri Oct 15, 2021 2:49 pm

Hadn't even given that any thought, well picked up there. Thoughts with Rob Cook always.

I'll cut to the chase, viewed the movie last night and while it was "different" but left the theater disappointed.

Spoilers ahead : don't read if not yet viewed.

First off 007 is now a black woman, no bullshit. Couldn't quite comprehend what was going on until halfway through the film they hand his 007 status back to Craig to 'finish a job'. I think this is a clear indication that the next Bond will be colored, if they go with a woman with it, then f*ck it, I'm done with the franchise. It's not about racism, it's not about gender, but you take that route and just about every rule in the book will have been broken.

Bond (Craig) is also now retired (?) They gave no hint of it during Spectre, no longer is an MI5 operative, although they allow him to get involved and still causes mayhem and allowed to kill like before. There was just too much ambiguity at times, could not understand at first viewing what was going on or where the story was leading.

Bond now has a kid of all things, a young girl from a 'relationship' with Mr White's daughter from Spectre. She's less than half his age but it's been done before (except without the child)

Was too much like Quantum of Solace at times, too much noise, too much action, picture and story going in three different directions at once. Only seen in once but a few hours ago, I'd say right now it's Craig's worst of the five he's done. It's a shame but there's too many adverse factors that kill it off.

To crown it all and the biggest horror of all Bond gets himself poisoned at the end and waits on an island to be blown up by incoming missiles. Could not comprehend at all what the f*ck was going on, so James Bond is dead after what, literary introductions in the 1950's to the present day. You can't kill off James Bond. So, what's the deal, the franchise stops here and no more movies (?) Add to that, Leiter and Blofeld met with an end also. Really concerned this may be an end of a line. Maybe have to take in a second viewing to get a better understanding but it's all still mighty fresh in the mind.

Final verdict, one thumb down. It's entertaining, perhaps a bit too long this time, but if it were to be the final one of the series perhaps that would explain it. Left the seats disappointed, confused and wanting a number of answers.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Fri Oct 15, 2021 3:46 pm

After reading that review, I'm not sure I'm even interested in investing 3 hours to see the 're-invention' of James Bond as I know it. It seems like modern day movie scripts always have to contain some kind of social message. I miss just watching films for fun and enjoying the escapism. I don't understand transforming James Bond into a black female at all. He's not Dr Who! Adding a child to the mix to try to humanize the Bond character is really lame. I don't care about watching Bond being a family man...I care about watching Bond beating and killing villains. Oh well, I guess the future of film will also include disguised persuasion and forced mores. Guess I'll keep watching sports!

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Fri Oct 15, 2021 4:49 pm

Guys..... I am with you on the above......, but......, will refrain from making any comment at all about the colour or gender of James Bond. There will always be someone who will be offended and to be 100% honest, I am sick to death of offending people. :lol:

And 9......, your comment about the "social message" in the movies ....., you couldn't have hit the nail on the head any harder. Spot on. Just want to see some killing & humping!