Leonard Nimoy

A place to chat about anything thats not football related. Most of the threads in here are completely pointless which is why people keep coming back and back. As the forum title suggests, feel free to make any post you want on any subject you wish. It also has Adult jokes (so be warned) which is the other reason people keep coming back.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

arana peligrosa

Leonard Nimoy

Post by arana peligrosa » Sat Feb 28, 2015 3:07 am

I was upset to learn of this passing today. An actor not only world recognized but a tribute to tenacity. Took on greater significance because I was an avid fan of the original star trek series from the 1960s and have seen every movie release with the original crew (1979 - 91) that included Nimoy. Yes he couldn't direct and was nowhere near as capable an actor when in the directors chair, but fans young and old will recognize that today Hollywood lost another fine and established name. Condolences to his immediate family.

marko69
Global Moderator

Re: Leonard Nimoy

Post by marko69 » Sat Feb 28, 2015 9:23 am

I know he was old, but holy sh*t this is sad news. Even if you are not a "Trekkie", EVERYBODY loved Mr Spock.

RIP Leonard Nimoy, you absolute legend. :(

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Sat Feb 28, 2015 5:53 pm

He didn't die of old age.

And even then I wasn't aware he had been unwell (until news of the death came through)

Joins James Doohan and DeForest Kelley from the original series who are now no longer with us. Best of my knowledge the leading others are still alive i.e. Shatner, Koenig, Takei etc

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sat Feb 28, 2015 10:46 pm

Spock has always been my favourite Star Trek character. I was also saddened by the news. I wonder if there will some kind of tribute for Nimoy?

Ohiotractorboy

Post by Ohiotractorboy » Sat Feb 28, 2015 10:59 pm

Self admitted Trekkie here, sad news to hear. You are right Jude, the others are still with us. Scotty was always my favorite character on the show, was sad when he passed. Didn't he have a kid when he was 63? What a stud!

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Mon Mar 02, 2015 3:41 am

number 9 wrote:Spock has always been my favourite Star Trek character. I was also saddened by the news. I wonder if there will some kind of tribute for Nimoy?
They did a 'tribute' in '87 when The Firm released a chart entry based on the series. I saw it as an embarrassment on the franchise.

Stopped watching the movie releases when they introduced The Next Generation with Patrick Stewart and Deep Space Nine held no appeal whatsoever but know they have in recent years gone back to the original series, albeit with of course not the original crew but some kids playing Kirk, Spock etc. Guess Nimoy would have seen it on release but don't know what his opinion was. Maybe it went down well enough.

Didn't have a favorite character although Ricardo Montalban stands out as Khan in 1982's title of the same name. After that best entry from Nicholas Meyer however, Nimoy took over as director for the next two releases which included a sh*t of an effort where the original crew blunder around San Francisco looking for whales..

By 1989 Shatner was director and gave a decent shot with The Final Frontier and Meyer returned thereafter for The Undiscovered Country but it wasn't as successful as his first attempt.

Apparently after 1991 half of the crew (now into their 60s and 70s) wanted to continue but common sense prevailed, and apart from a brief cameo from Shatner, Koenig and Doohan in 1994's Generations, the new faces took over and despite never taking to them, proved a great commercial success.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:50 am

At 83, he did "live long"......., and as a multi millionaire, he did "prosper".

Nimoy also thought "Galaxy Quest" with Tim Allen, Alan Rickman and Sigourney Weaver was hilarious. Which of course it is. He was renowned for his wicked sense of humour.